Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Petition to change WOTD to WOTW (finally)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cranytorso View Post
    My sister and I play wotd parkours at least 3 times a week. To me most of the worlds have enough quality in the parkours to be interesting. If it was world of the week we would always be out of new worlds to visit and play. I know wotd is not interesting to everyone but I quite enjoy it
    My suggestion to improve wotd is to have a wotm from the group of wotd winners that the community can vote on. This way people who want more competition can fight for the world of the month trophy that would be an extremely prestigious award to win. with the community voting on the worlds I think this would increase wotd visits as there is a purpose to come to them again. The only issue that this does not address is the work on the mods but If that was an Issue they would of already changed it.
    Banned and Unbanned for The Carnival Ban Glitch. U Be Soft Please Fix

Comment

Originally posted by NekoWolf View Post
      but I put so much effort into my worlds.. they take forever to make because of the unique puzzles that I incorporate and I never said anything about mass producing worlds.. I'm proud of them but if you say my world quality may be poor I'd believe you..

- - - Updated - - -

are you kidding me.. I put in so much effort and time to make my worlds.. this whole thread is so upsetting honestly. but that's just my opinion.
      call it with a different name then - worlds built by inexperienced builders. techy has 30 something odd wotd wins, meaning he has a lot more experience in building than any of us here. do keep on putting effort into your worlds, though and do keep holding the ancient routine of building alive

Comment

but I put so much effort into my worlds.. they take forever to make because of the unique puzzles that I incorporate and I never said anything about mass producing worlds.. I'm proud of them but if you say my world quality may be poor I'd believe you..

- - - Updated - - -

are you kidding me.. I put in so much effort and time to make my worlds.. this whole thread is so upsetting honestly. but that's just my opinion.
        hey I love your worlds It seems like the community does not play many wotd and just assumes that the wotds are low quality IMO 90-95 percent of wotd are high quality and have a lot of thought put in with the story and decor

Comment

I disagree GREATLY with this idea. What if they STILL manage to pick a world that doesn't look so great? then what? it'll still be on display for a week. Some people work extremely hard on their worlds and it shows. Some people put little effort in, which can be infuriating if they win, but just deal with it honestly, there's always the next day. There is absolutely no need to be so sour against those worlds that look low effort. It's a literal game where half the population are kids. Seriously, what do you expect. Another point I have to make- Some worlds may look low-effort because the owner can't afford to buy the blocks they want to, so they have to improvise. they may have amazing ideas but just can't execute them with their budget. however if they can find a way to do this, then why does it matter if the world looks amazing as long as the ideas are there. the rich only get richer..
          hi i like dragons and dyn

note: I AM a FEMALE

-
          Instagram: @mistrella.gt

Comment

Originally posted by cranytorso View Post
            hey I love your worlds It seems like the community does not play many wotd and just assumes that the wotds are low quality IMO 90-95 percent of wotd are high quality and have a lot of thought put in with the story and decor
            Now, I understand people have different perspectives, you could totally argue that you like the WOTDs. But to say they are of high quality is just a lie. Often times, the WOTD is put together in a matter of days because it is so simple to win (for many, why put in the extra effort if it is not needed?). Copied pixel arts, block spamming, typical parkours, and stories that are made up as the owner places the signs in broken English do not define "high quality".

Comment

Originally posted by LyveWyre View Post
              one of the many benefits of the rating system is that you can find worlds to play should you play through the WOTW (if it were implemented).
              Ok maybe I am using the rating system wrong but most of the top 100 of the rated worlds are udder trash like fossil farms with signs saying rate 5 that lead to a underwheling easy parkour. I think the rating system needs an overhaul. but atm it is not a viable alternative to wotd

Comment

I disagree GREATLY with this idea. What if they STILL manage to pick a world that doesn't look so great? then what? it'll still be on display for a week. Some people work extremely hard on their worlds and it shows. Some people put little effort in, which can be infuriating if they win, but just deal with it honestly, there's always the next day. There is absolutely no need to be so sour against those worlds that look low effort. It's a literal game where half the population are kids. Seriously, what do you expect. Another point I have to make- Some worlds may look low-effort because the owner can't afford to buy the blocks they want to, so they have to improvise. they may have amazing ideas but just can't execute them with their budget. however if they can find a way to do this, then why does it matter if the world looks amazing as long as the ideas are there. the rich only get richer..
                It isn't about how a world looks - that is another thing people need to understand. Building is not about a render. On top of this, budget is not an issue. WOTDs are about creativity, and you can practically build anything creative if you put in the time and some effort. I built my first two WOTDs with less than 10 WLs each, and while they both look terrible, they were creative and fun. WOTDs should not be a hand-out, that is why we are making this argument for the change. Should we just give out trophies and make kids feel good for putting together a piece of crap that many times they know is not of high quality?

Also, what type of comment is that? I know the game is mainly full of kids, and it is a game after all. Does that mean we should suddenly stop caring and let everything go to crap? Think about it - this game relies on the players.

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

Art is critical. You can't expect all your worlds to be successful enough to win WOTD from what you view them as finished. When comparing world-building in Growtopia to something like art, you don't see people winning awards for their first paintings. It's trying to separate your world from the tier of average to beyond that - and what I mean by average is that the generic world building formula seems unaltered and repetitive throughout each world that wins. Pixel art covering large surfaces becomes average. Simple parkour becomes average. What is it that makes your world unique? That's what a WOT(D) should be.

Disclaimer: I haven't seen your worlds or have currently tied any to your name, so this isn't based on what I have seen from you - if you make worlds at a reasonable pace and feel like you have done all that you can, then that is fine upon you. But pushing yourself further and challenging your creativity is what helps that quality improve. Learning from your worlds is what makes them good. Trying to be unique is what makes them good. ****yse other people's worlds and see what the general community think about that. Look for aspirations. Winning WOTD or not (for what it is now) should not be your bar. Some of the best worlds only come out once every blue moon or so.
                  37 World of the Days won.
                  4 World Building Competitions placed in.

Comment

Now, I understand people have different perspectives, you could totally argue that you like the WOTDs. But to say they are of high quality is just a lie. Often times, the WOTD is put together in a matter of days because it is so simple to win (for many, why put in the extra effort if it is not needed?). Copied pixel arts, block spamming, typical parkours, and stories that are made up as the owner places the signs in broken English do not define "high quality".
                    Do you even play the worlds? Or just take a look at the render and think 'ugh this world looks awful why did it win' when you didn't even take a single look inside of the world itself. What the hell do you expect from all builders? The use of 1000 different blocks, ideas, and mechanics? Some people don't have the budget to do that. And about the broken English- Most players that even play Growtopia are from other countries that do NOT speak English as their native language, therefore, the English may not be absolutely PERFECT. But atleast they tried their best. Trying your best is all that matters and honestly you're pretty much saying that trying your best for some people may never be enough.
                    hi i like dragons and dyn

note: I AM a FEMALE

-
                    Instagram: @mistrella.gt

Comment

It's a literal game where half the population are kids.
                      Minecraft's intended age demographic is largely 7+ to 13+ yet there are still builders (of varying ages) who gobsmack me.

Comment

It isn't about how a world looks - that is another thing people need to understand. Building is not about a render. On top of this, budget is not an issue. WOTDs are about creativity, and you can practically build anything creative if you put in the time and some effort. I built my first two WOTDs with less than 10 WLs each, and while they both look terrible, they were creative and fun. WOTDs should not be a hand-out, that is why we are making this argument for the change. Should we just give out trophies and make kids feel good for putting together a piece of crap that many times they know is not of high quality?

Also, what type of comment is that? I know the game is mainly full of kids, and it is a game after all. Does that mean we should suddenly stop caring and let everything go to crap? Think about it - this game relies on the players.
                        The fact is that a world doesn't really have a chance to win WOTD if it doesn't look good.

Comment

Do you even play the worlds? Or just take a look at the render and think 'ugh this world looks awful why did it win' when you didn't even take a single look inside of the world itself. What the hell do you expect from all builders? The use of 1000 different blocks, ideas, and mechanics? Some people don't have the budget to do that. And about the broken English- Most players that even play Growtopia are from other countries that do NOT speak English as their native language, therefore, the English may not be absolutely PERFECT. But atleast they tried their best. Trying your best is all that matters and honestly you're pretty much saying that trying your best for some people may never be enough.
                          Did you read the comment? They are not about the renders! You don't need a high budget to be creative. Creativity has many different definitions...stories, how parkours are structured, use of doors, little things. And no, many times they do not try their best. As I've said, think about it.

Some of my favourite worlds were built on low budgets and looked like ass. But they were creative, which made them fun.

Comment

Trying your best does not guarantee you a victory. It may sound harsh, but it's the reality.

Comment

Originally posted by HugeLock View Post
                              The fact is that a world doesn't really have a chance to win WOTD if it doesn't look good.
                              Uh...have you seen the past 300+ WOTDs? And if you genuinely believe that, then it is an issue on the judging side of things - WOTDs aren't simply about the looks of it.

Comment

Originally posted by HugeLock View Post
                                Level design is all about mixing practical elements with aesthetically pleasing concepts so that the world plays nicely and looks nice. Basing final judgement on appearance solely is not great, and though it may be evident in current WOTDs, I vouch to have that changed. WOTW allows more time for judgement.

Comment

Working...
                                X