Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[EVENT RANT]: Moderators/Guardians/Staff need to change up meetup events

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [EVENT RANT]: Moderators/Guardians/Staff need to change up meetup events

    I think there is a sufficient amount of evidence to show that these "meetup events" have all been the same (or relatively the same) with not much substance or thought put into them.

    What do I mean?
    Just check out the most recent event MODSUMMERFESTPARTY. This event was hyped up just for the usual spleef, steam/dgate game, and just taking selfies with moderators. While a portion of the player base may be super excited to meet moderators, this has literally been done so many times before. These special events are usually something that people who participated can talk about, or frame as a memory that they got to participate in; but sadly all that hype and excitement has gone down the drain.

    So what. How should events be done then?
    Back in the day moderators used to host all sorts of events, like Fire Festival, Kyderby (luckily this still exists), etc. Those were specialized events where players could tackle different challenges posed by each creator (the moderator) and win exclusive prizes. I remember everyone used to be hyped about these events and literally try so hard to get into wherever they were hosted. This is the hype I'm talking about that we need.

    Now I am not saying that the same events need to be simulated, but I think there needs to be some thought put into events. The selfies and all that game stuff is what SUPERMODDANCEPARTY is for. Just to throw some ideas out there, it would be really cool to have a zombie survival game or some optimized version of the game pack. I can't say exactly, since this requires creativity on your end (Ubisoft), but hopefully this can be seen as good advice for change.

    Thanks for reading and hopefully events can be different in the future!
    ~ Link
    Last edited by Pooffy; 07-13-2020, 11:08 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes
    IGN: Link

    Follow me: @_Link.GT

  • #2
    Originally posted by Pooffy View Post
    I think there is a sufficient amount of evidence to show that these "meetup events" have all been the same (or relatively the same) with not much substance or thought put into them.

    What do I mean?
    Just check out the most recent event MODSUMMERFESTPARTY. This event was hyped up just for the usual spleef, steam/dgate game, and just taking selfies with moderators. While a portion of the player base may be super excited to meet moderators, this has literally been done so many times before. These special events are usually something that people who participated can talk about, or frame as a memory that they got to participate in; but sadly all that hype and excitement has gone down the drain.

    So what. How should events be done then?
    Back in the day moderators used to host all sorts of events, like Fire Festival, Kyderby (luckily this still exists), etc. Those were specialized events where players could tackle different challenges posed by each creator (the moderator) and win exclusive prizes. I remember everyone used to be hyped about these events and literally try so hard to get into wherever they were hosted. This is the hype I'm talking about that we need.

    Now I am not saying that the same events need to be simulated, but I think there needs to be some thought put into events. The selfies and all that game stuff is what SUPERMODDANCEPARTY is for. Just to throw some ideas out there, it would be really cool to have a zombie survival game or some optimized version of the game pack. I can't say exactly, since this requires creativity on your end (Ubisoft), but hopefully this can be seen as good advice for change.

    Thanks for reading and hopefully events can be different in the future!
    ~ Link
    this guy is speaking facts tho
    Not sure why I'm back but I'm back
    IGN: Deno855
    TRUE OG
    Level: 71
    Gems: 352k / 1mil
    WLS: Who even cares its the effort
    Instagram: @deno855_gt

    Comment


    • #3
      man if a good portion is satisfied then what exactly are you trying to fix

      back in your days, those were hosted by volunteered mods which are basically regular players, these party are from ubimods who aren't
      IGN : Liquify

      support my wholesome Axolotl thread!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Liquify View Post
        man if a good portion is satisfied then what exactly are you trying to fix

        back in your days, those were hosted by volunteered mods which are basically regular players, these party are from ubimods who aren't
        Not sure where you got the good portion is satisfied part from, but ok. I think the fact that events were hosted by volunteered mods only underscores my argument. Ubisoft has literally hired people to do these things (community managers for example), and the success of volunteers in the past only shows they can as well with some experience or trial and error.
        IGN: Link

        Follow me: @_Link.GT

        Comment


        • #5
          Why though? Like…genuinely asking here.

          I personally do not really feel strongly one way or another. These meetup events are hosted by staff using the game’s own mechanics to have fun. Yeah, these might be stale to the ones who attend; no one is forcing anyone to attend though. If anything, it means there is no incentive to keep returning and taking slots from players that may have not had a chance to participate.

          There are also lots of meetup events that occur spontaneously. The Ubisoft staff does, at a surface level, engage with the community frequently. Regardless of what event is going on, unless there is some exclusive and expensive prize being offered, the attention is always on the moderator or administrator; and that is fine, as aforesaid, exclusive prizes crowd the events and can potentially attract the same people to come over and over again.

          I also think there is something neat about using the community’s own games as the premise for meetups. It almost applauds the community and seems down-to-earth.
          Originally posted by tson
          *** concentrated yeast hell no i didnt eat that ****
          Just finished transcribing this…deliberating on whether or not to adapt it into Growtopia.
          The answer is yes and at NOTE63.

          Contact Info:

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ohlid View Post
            Why though? Like…genuinely asking here.

            I personally do not really feel strongly one way or another. These meetup events are hosted by staff using the game’s own mechanics to have fun. Yeah, these might be stale to the ones who attend; no one is forcing anyone to attend though. If anything, it means there is no incentive to keep returning and taking slots from players that may have not had a chance to participate.

            There are also lots of meetup events that occur spontaneously. The Ubisoft staff does, at a surface level, engage with the community frequently. Regardless of what event is going on, unless there is some exclusive and expensive prize being offered, the attention is always on the moderator or administrator; and that is fine, as aforesaid, exclusive prizes crowd the events and can potentially attract the same people to come over and over again.

            I also think there is something neat about using the community’s own games as the premise for meetups. It almost applauds the community and seems down-to-earth.
            While I do respect and agree with what you said, I just wanted to point something out. Yes, the Ubisoft staff/Moderators/Guardians do engage with the community but only to an extent. These events are supposed to be a way for the community to get together and participate in activities that promote interaction, game play, and benefits everyone who participates (note that this may not be a concrete reward, but maybe new friends as an example).

            The current way they handle these events (and yes I have been to several events) is literally a spleef, dicegame/dgate/steam game, and the winners get to take a selfie with a moderator or guardian. They do not really "interact" with those participating (note there are minor exceptions), but rather just operate whatever game they are hosting and maybe talk to a couple players. In the past, events have promoted a wide variety of aspects within the game: such as how Kyderby encourages players to utilize their creativity and build unique worlds. I believe that Ubisoft can do a much better job at managing the community (they literally have 2 community managers, like what??). Why not bring back elements of the game that have gone down to dust: game pack (PVP deathmatch of some sort), Zombie Apocalypse (Zombie Hunger Games), etc. I can guarantee that these would be super fun for a majority of players and a huge incentive to play the game within that period of time.

            While there is no negative effect of what they are doing so far, I believe that what I advised would help in growing the community/MMO side of GT again.
            IGN: Link

            Follow me: @_Link.GT

            Comment


            • #7
              We've discussed to come up with different games before. We're open to suggestions for event worlds. I'll be checking this thread to see your suggestions and feedbacks.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pooffy View Post
                Not sure where you got the good portion is satisfied part from, but ok. I think the fact that events were hosted by volunteered mods only underscores my argument. Ubisoft has literally hired people to do these things (community managers for example), and the success of volunteers in the past only shows they can as well with some experience or trial and error.
                the community doesn't know what they want.

                long ago they complain about mod to players interaction being too rare and want more. Now they get more along with moderator events but then some complain about it being too common.

                Long ago people complain about the mod events being too hard and unfair to less experienced players, and now they host simple luck based events and people still complain
                IGN : Liquify

                support my wholesome Axolotl thread!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ByteCode View Post
                  We've discussed to come up with different games before. We're open to suggestions for event worlds. I'll be checking this thread to see your suggestions and feedbacks.
                  Sounds great!
                  IGN: Link

                  Follow me: @_Link.GT

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hey guys,

                    Love the feedback! Just to shed a little spotlight on how events have been hosted. We generally tend to swap back and forth between parkour and mini-games from month to month. Let's take a look:

                    January: Anniversary Week Minigames + Lunar Parkour
                    February: Valentine's Minigames
                    March: St. Paddy's Minigames (But Blarney Parkour was active for the entire week)
                    April: Easter Maze Egg Hunt
                    May: Cinco de Mayo Minigames
                    June: Super Pineapple Parkour
                    July: Mod Summerfest Party

                    These are just the IN GAME events hosted by us on the Community Manager side. Keep in mind that we generally run 2-3 events per month, if you include Instagram and the Forums.

                    When it comes to your request, you mention a lot about events that Moderators host in their free time... What could we do as Community Managers to improve on these seasonal, world-wide events? More themed parkour instead of minigames? A different game concept all together? Or is it prizes? Once we have a direction to work towards, it helps us deliver content that you guys like!

                    Originally posted by ByteCode View Post
                    We've discussed to come up with different games before. We're open to suggestions for event worlds.
                    Byte's right! We've got a whole team brainstorming for ideas, but ultimately it's the players who get to experience the events we make. I'll also be checking up on your ideas as you post them.

                    Cheers,

                    ~ Odric

                    P.S. I've got some really wicked ideas prepped for the next parkour event we build for you guys. Hope you're ready.
                    Canadian Community Manager

                    Dream big! The future is yours!!!

                    Link to my official IG

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Odric View Post
                      Hey guys,

                      Love the feedback! Just to shed a little spotlight on how events have been hosted. We generally tend to swap back and forth between parkour and mini-games from month to month. Let's take a look:

                      January: Anniversary Week Minigames + Lunar Parkour
                      February: Valentine's Minigames
                      March: St. Paddy's Minigames (But Blarney Parkour was active for the entire week)
                      April: Easter Maze Egg Hunt
                      May: Cinco de Mayo Minigames
                      June: Super Pineapple Parkour
                      July: Mod Summerfest Party

                      These are just the IN GAME events hosted by us on the Community Manager side. Keep in mind that we generally run 2-3 events per month, if you include Instagram and the Forums.

                      When it comes to your request, you mention a lot about events that Moderators host in their free time... What could we do as Community Managers to improve on these seasonal, world-wide events? More themed parkour instead of minigames? A different game concept all together? Or is it prizes? Once we have a direction to work towards, it helps us deliver content that you guys like!



                      Byte's right! We've got a whole team brainstorming for ideas, but ultimately it's the players who get to experience the events we make. I'll also be checking up on your ideas as you post them.

                      Cheers,

                      ~ Odric

                      P.S. I've got some really wicked ideas prepped for the next parkour event we build for you guys. Hope you're ready.
                      Thanks for the consideration Odric! I realize you guys are putting a good amount of effort into events, but I just wanted to share how I believe they can be better.

                      Right now, I was really hoping that events can utilize older features that have gone down in popularity. Some of my ideas include: a zombie survival game, where last person to survive the zombie attack wins a prize or something.

                      Another idea would be a team pvp with the game pack and possibly add some cool mechanics within the game world (cybot warfare?).

                      Anyways, looking forward to the creative ideas! Anyone else who has some great ideas, feel free to comment on this post!

                      As always, thanks for reading
                      ~ Link
                      IGN: Link

                      Follow me: @_Link.GT

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Pooffy View Post
                        While I do respect and agree with what you said, I just wanted to point something out. Yes, the Ubisoft staff/Moderators/Guardians do engage with the community but only to an extent. These events are supposed to be a way for the community to get together and participate in activities that promote interaction, game play, and benefits everyone who participates (note that this may not be a concrete reward, but maybe new friends as an example).

                        The current way they handle these events (and yes I have been to several events) is literally a spleef, dicegame/dgate/steam game, and the winners get to take a selfie with a moderator or guardian. They do not really "interact" with those participating (note there are minor exceptions), but rather just operate whatever game they are hosting and maybe talk to a couple players. In the past, events have promoted a wide variety of aspects within the game: such as how Kyderby encourages players to utilize their creativity and build unique worlds. I believe that Ubisoft can do a much better job at managing the community (they literally have 2 community managers, like what??). Why not bring back elements of the game that have gone down to dust: game pack (PVP deathmatch of some sort), Zombie Apocalypse (Zombie Hunger Games), etc. I can guarantee that these would be super fun for a majority of players and a huge incentive to play the game within that period of time.

                        While there is no negative effect of what they are doing so far, I believe that what I advised would help in growing the community/MMO side of GT again.
                        Oh, okay. I misunderstood. I presumed you meant adding new items/games in addition holiday events that were centered around these interactions. Being more creative using existing features is something no one should really have an objection to.
                        Originally posted by tson
                        *** concentrated yeast hell no i didnt eat that ****
                        Just finished transcribing this…deliberating on whether or not to adapt it into Growtopia.
                        The answer is yes and at NOTE63.

                        Contact Info:

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Pooffy View Post
                          I think there is a sufficient amount of evidence to show that these "meetup events" have all been the same (or relatively the same) with not much substance or thought put into them.

                          What do I mean?
                          Just check out the most recent event MODSUMMERFESTPARTY. This event was hyped up just for the usual spleef, steam/dgate game, and just taking selfies with moderators. While a portion of the player base may be super excited to meet moderators, this has literally been done so many times before. These special events are usually something that people who participated can talk about, or frame as a memory that they got to participate in; but sadly all that hype and excitement has gone down the drain.

                          So what. How should events be done then?
                          Back in the day moderators used to host all sorts of events, like Fire Festival, Kyderby (luckily this still exists), etc. Those were specialized events where players could tackle different challenges posed by each creator (the moderator) and win exclusive prizes. I remember everyone used to be hyped about these events and literally try so hard to get into wherever they were hosted. This is the hype I'm talking about that we need.

                          Now I am not saying that the same events need to be simulated, but I think there needs to be some thought put into events. The selfies and all that game stuff is what SUPERMODDANCEPARTY is for. Just to throw some ideas out there, it would be really cool to have a zombie survival game or some optimized version of the game pack. I can't say exactly, since this requires creativity on your end (Ubisoft), but hopefully this can be seen as good advice for change.

                          Thanks for reading and hopefully events can be different in the future!
                          ~ Link
                          Hey guys, we do appreciate your feedback but do note that due to the recent incidents we barely have time to plan for something different. Don't worry there will be new games and events coming up soon, however, this is not our priority as of now. And also, we do switch them up each month to either parkour or mini game event world. Coming up new concepts and events take a lot of time and effort for the community team, and that's not the only thing I do. Also, other games like MMORPG do the same guild events or CM hosted community events each time.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by NekoRei View Post
                            Hey guys, we do appreciate your feedback but do note that due to the recent incidents we barely have time to plan for something different. Don't worry there will be new games and events coming up soon, however, this is not our priority as of now. And also, we do switch them up each month to either parkour or mini game event world. Coming up new concepts and events take a lot of time and effort for the community team, and that's not the only thing I do. Also, other games like MMORPG do the same guild events or CM hosted community events each time.
                            Can I ask you smth?😅 im just asking if you have plan to do growtopia livestream every week? that will be good tho 😉
                            IGN:PigPlayzGT
                            GOALS:
                            GROWTOKENS:59/100
                            DLS:3/20
                            MAGPLANTS:0/2
                            FRIENDS:Achieve/100

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Pooffy View Post
                              I think there is a sufficient amount of evidence to show that these "meetup events" have all been the same (or relatively the same) with not much substance or thought put into them.

                              What do I mean?
                              Just check out the most recent event MODSUMMERFESTPARTY. This event was hyped up just for the usual spleef, steam/dgate game, and just taking selfies with moderators. While a portion of the player base may be super excited to meet moderators, this has literally been done so many times before. These special events are usually something that people who participated can talk about, or frame as a memory that they got to participate in; but sadly all that hype and excitement has gone down the drain.

                              So what. How should events be done then?
                              Back in the day moderators used to host all sorts of events, like Fire Festival, Kyderby (luckily this still exists), etc. Those were specialized events where players could tackle different challenges posed by each creator (the moderator) and win exclusive prizes. I remember everyone used to be hyped about these events and literally try so hard to get into wherever they were hosted. This is the hype I'm talking about that we need.

                              Now I am not saying that the same events need to be simulated, but I think there needs to be some thought put into events. The selfies and all that game stuff is what SUPERMODDANCEPARTY is for. Just to throw some ideas out there, it would be really cool to have a zombie survival game or some optimized version of the game pack. I can't say exactly, since this requires creativity on your end (Ubisoft), but hopefully this can be seen as good advice for change.

                              Thanks for reading and hopefully events can be different in the future!
                              ~ Link
                              Love or hate him, Hes spitting facts
                              Originally posted by Yasuo
                              *Hasagi*
                              Originally posted by AlsoYasuo
                              *Soryegadon*

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X