Why Localisation should not be a priority of Ubisoft [POLL]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Localisation should not be a priority of Ubisoft [POLL]

Please read the thread and my arguments before voting.

Alright, so with the recent dev diary by Ubisoft they have stated their main priorities for the upcoming months.

(In case you haven't seen, here's a link)
    https://www.growtopiagame.com/forums...hs#post6891329

In my opinion, localisation is a waste of resources and should not be a main priority. The opportunity cost for it is vast and there are much more productive things they can be doing - Like bug fixing.

Firstly, let's take a look at the advantages vs the disadvantages
    • Advantages would be things like people from different countries being able to understand and play the game better and easier, in specific cases non-English speaking users would break the language barrier and play the game easier, expanding the play base.
    • Stronger communities
    • Attracting a bigger player base for a localised community - in Chinese speaking countries / Indonesian countries per se.

Localisation sounds super appealing right?
    Wrong.

here's why:

The disadvantages of localisation would greatly outweigh the positives,
    • Segregated communities will become more segregated and distanced - In Growtopia there is already a significant amount of toxicity and hate to foreign concepts, people and ideas. A great number of obnoxious racial slang exists currently. Adding localisation of specific languages would create a larger rift in the communities.
    [WARNING: this is an example of the Growtopia-spefic racial slurs used]

• Reduce interactions and positive healthy relationships - Growtopia is diverse game, full of people from all around the world. I know (and am acquainted to) people from the UK, America, Finland, Estonia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Australia, Singapore.
    Do you know what all these people have in common? They all play Growtopia and speak English!

Localisation would bash the **** out of these people, forcing them into a secluded corner of the game where one community would only talk to people from the same community in the same language, it creates language barriers between communities. It would be harmful the existing community.
    • The wasted time on implementing this harmful aspect to the game - The dev team is already very busy with other aspects of the game, such has the new upcoming feature, bug fixing and testing, ironing out the game essentially. If they divert resources to things things like translating stuff into fitting graphics and UI elements, its going to be a waste of time for the developer team.

In conclusion, localisation is a good idea on paper, but in practise it would be harmful to the community, a waste of time and resources for the dev team, and an overall crappy idea for the game due to the points aforementioned.

Feel free to vote now and leave feedback on what you think. The vote is biased since it only has an agree option or a disagree, no in between.
    I strongly agree. (Localisation should NOT be worked on by the developers AT ALL)
    50.00%
    I agree. (Localisation should not be a priority to the game)
    30.00%
    I am neutral on this (Both arguments were effective and I have no stance on the matter)
    11.25%
    I disagree. (Localisation should be a priority to the game)
    8.75%
    I strongly disagree. (Localisation should be the highest priority addition to the game)
    1.25%
    [Click me if you voted without reading the post below - you voted based on a pre-existing opinion]
    2.50%
    Love the life you live and live the life you love

GrowID || Kitty

Localization belongs to games where social interaction is not the main aspect of the game. There is no need to have it added to this game.
    It's asking for problems. Most games using localization in these types of games where communication is key at least have servers seperated per region. Which is clearly not the case here (and shouldn't be done either.)

In other words, +1.
    A recipe finder. A GT Wikia Admin. Playing since Feb 2013.
    Level: 125 - L Title/Dragon/DK Wings Done - Sponsored Mystical Etherboard
    IGN: TK69
    Growtopia Treehouse Discord | My Insta

Comment

Honestly, i'm scared of this update - the already rather huge amount of people who use their own language to socialize with others will grow & it'll be encouraged by growtopia itself.

Worldwide online games shouldn't even consider adding such feature, it has more cons than pros.

i cant remove this picture from my siggy, pls dm me some help

Instagram: @limechickengt

Comment

+1, agreed, racism is unfortunately a problem in gt (don't even get me started on the homophobia and sexism prevalent in the game), and localization wouldn't help
        hi i like dragons and dyn

note: I AM a FEMALE

-
        Instagram: @mistrella.gt

Comment

I honestly think localization is not going to work well for Growtopia. Growtopia is a game mainly based on social interaction. The server itself is global and not region seperated so using 1 main language to connect all of us would work best.

Comment

Localization is mainly for solo games, and if it is online there is no actual texting feature. Growtopia doesnt need this, its been fine without it for a long time

Comment

Growtopia should not add localization, only add special characters from different languages to the chat (I understand this might be hard for chinese/arabic, but it should be tried)
              LURD

Comment

i saw sooo many players couldnt do things like surgery or most of the quests because of language barrier but there is also a fact that growtopia is a social game so idk

Comment

Originally posted by Spyroboy View Post
                  Localization is mainly for solo games, and if it is online there is no actual texting feature. Growtopia doesnt need this, its been fine without it for a long time
                  Strongly agree.

Comment

I mean in my country (Estonia) everyone would play on the Estonian language just for the memes, it's weird and funny seeing items' names in our language and not English.

Comment

Originally posted by zupsik View Post
                      I mean in my country (Estonia) everyone would play on the Estonian language just for the memes, it's weird and funny seeing items' names in our language and not English.
                      Would you prioritize it on an update?

Comment

• zupsik
                        zupsik commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I would keep it in the exact order as Ubisoft.

Honestly, Growtopia isn't really suitable for young kids, though it may be supposed to. It's a very complex game with multiple different features and I don't think that allowing players to play using their own language will help the situation at all. There are already huge communities of people who speak certain languages. And players don't really need to know how to speak English as they can always ask their friends, who speak the same language and who are more experienced, about things they don't understand yet. I've been one of those kids who couldn't speak English properly and I hung around with Finnish players and in the Finnish community for years, but thanks to the fact that the game is in English, I've learned a lot and have gotten to know people from different countries and cultures. If the game would've had the option to use Finnish subtitles, I probably wouldn't have left the Finnish community to explore and meet other players.

Localisation IMO would just discourage players from learning English and meeting players from other communities, and also increase the gap between the communities. If something, the /rules and tutorial should have the option to be read and done in your own language, but after you finish with those, you'll bump into players from your own country, or those who can speak your language and ask for help.

Comment

Originally posted by Nenkaai View Post
                        Localization belongs to games where social interaction is not the main aspect of the game. There is no need to have it added to this game.
                        It's asking for problems. Most games using localization in these types of games where communication is key at least have servers seperated per region. Which is clearly not the case here (and shouldn't be done either.)

In other words, +1.

Comment

I strongly agree, this will cause most of community to play seperately also this really is asking for bugs - developers will have to work on this vice versa. If people can't speak proper English, they must go to school to learn, there is no need for language support.
                          A NEWS administrator and ANCIENTS member.

Comment

Originally posted by Nenkaai View Post

In other words, +1.
                            Agreed.
                            A NEWS administrator and ANCIENTS member.

Comment

Working...
                            X