Black Friday Boxes probably violating app store guidelines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Friday Boxes probably violating app store guidelines

I made this thread a while ago and the guideline only seemed to apply to random chances bought directly with money so golden booty chest doesn't count?
    https://www.growtopiagame.com/forums...ore-guidelines

But now they added Black Friday Black Boxes and they are purchased directly with money so now there is no doubt that it violates the guideline?

According to appstore review guidelines 3.1.1 In-App Purchase it says:
    • Apps offering “loot boxes” or other mechanisms that provide randomized virtual items for purchase must disclose the odds of receiving each type of item to customers prior to purchase.
    I don't see them disclosing the odds anywhere on the purchase page. It's probably too late to add it into the game now but at least they could put it on the forums. The full odds and drop table.

And while they disclose the odds on this item they should take some time and disclose these odds too Easter Crates, Golden Booty Chests, Super Golden Booty Chests, Summer Surprise, Super Summer Surprise, Super Pineapple Fest Crate and many more. Even if these don't directly violate the guideline and fall into a loophole where buying gems first doesn't count?

I agree it is kinda sus but they made it look like the Black Boxes are just a "bonus" (wink wink) when you buy the Gem Packs.

Let me create an example of what this looks like:

Uncle: I quit Growtopia so I'll give you my account for FREE! (But it's my birthday soon wink wink)

Nephew: Thanks Uncle! Here's my $100 gift for your birthday!

Comment

Originally posted by CodesProfit View Post
      I agree it is kinda sus but they made it look like the Black Boxes are just a "bonus" (wink wink) when you buy the Gem Packs.

Let me create an example of what this looks like:

Uncle: I quit Growtopia so I'll give you my account for FREE! (But it's my birthday soon wink wink)

Nephew: Thanks Uncle! Here's my $100 gift for your birthday!
      If they can get away with not disclosing the odds because it's just a "bonus" I don't know what to say

Comment

You can bet I will ask Apple about that, let's see if they think that it violates the guidelines. I will read through Google Play guidelines too, perhaps they are also being violated.

Edit: it does violate Google Play guidelines too. Double report.
        • Apps offering mechanisms to receive randomized virtual items from a purchase (i.e. "loot boxes") must clearly disclose the odds of receiving those items in advance of purchase.

Comment

• Corrects
          Corrects commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah by the time the report gets read through the offer will end lol

• Vale0203
          Vale0203 commented
          Editing a comment
          There is a ton of evidence left. Doesn't matter if it ends.

Well it's a bonus (?) I guess? Buying from IAP is just an alternative (or more certain) way to obtain it.
        A NEWS administrator and ANCIENTS member.

Comment

Originally posted by Vale0203 View Post
          You can bet I will ask Apple about that, let's see if they think that it violates the guidelines. I will read through Google Play guidelines too, perhaps they are also being violated.

Edit: it does violate Google Play guidelines too. Double report.
          • Apps offering mechanisms to receive randomized virtual items from a purchase (i.e. "loot boxes") must clearly disclose the odds of receiving those items in advance of purchase.
          Guys as what the guideline said, " Apps offering mechanisms to receive randomized virtual items from a purchase (i.e. "loot boxes") must clearly disclose the odds of receiving those items in advance of purchase. "

From a PURCHASE it means you still bought it but in a bonus way,

Whatever it is Bonus or whatever, it is still part of a purchase!

Comment

• Vale0203
            Vale0203 commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly, you get them from a PURCHASE, so the odds have to be stated.

The argument „its a bonus“ isn’t valid, for example: brawl stars, they also have offers or so called „bonuses“ and they also disclose the odds

Comment

• SeaBoy
            SeaBoy commented
            Editing a comment
            Ummm....no

You aren't buying the Black Friday Box by itself, it is a BONUS which comes with your purchase of a Gem bundle. If it was sold by itself, then you could make the case, but here it can be argued that you aren't purchasing the box, but the gems.

• Crunchyy
            Crunchyy commented
            Editing a comment
            Even if its a bonus, you still obtain them through money so technically its purchased as well
            SeaBoy

I mean, you still get your gems..

Comment

Even if you report that it violates the AppStore guidelines apple won’t be able to enforce it before the event is over. But next year or next time they will be disclosed. And if this is disclosed I hope that other odds are too so they are more transparent.

Comment

Originally posted by Knocha View Post
              The argument „its a bonus“ isn’t valid, for example: brawl stars, they also have offers or so called „bonuses“ and they also disclose the odds
              Yea i know a game which also have This type of Real Life Money Paid RNG item, that disclose the odds the chances of getting that item. Game Name Last Day On Earth

Comment

it doesnt, your not directly buying 'loot boxes' for money they are a BONUS to the purchase that is already there, they didnt add 'loot boxes' as a new in app purchase just added it as a bonus to the gems. Other games can do the same thing as growtopia and choose to disclose chances, again because growtopia added it as a bonus not a new in app purchase, so basically growtopia is allowed to do this

if you dont want to read that basically it doesnt violate anything
                Hi

Comment

Originally posted by yo56789 View Post
                  it doesnt, your not directly buying 'loot boxes' for money they are a BONUS to the purchase that is already there, they didnt add 'loot boxes' as a new in app purchase just added it as a bonus to the gems. Other games can do the same thing as growtopia and choose to disclose chances, again because growtopia added it as a bonus not a new in app purchase, so basically growtopia is allowed to do this

if you dont want to read that basically it doesnt violate anything
                  I'm not too sure but I think using the excuse it's a bonus does not work here. You are purchasing something for real money that has a loot box mechanic, that's not allowed according to the guidelines. I think ubisoft is going to get into some problem with this and will probably just remove the item once apple/google finds out.
                  LURD

Comment

• Gideonpogi23
                    Gideonpogi23 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes your right it is still PART OF A PURCHASE whatever it is..

• SeaBoy
                    SeaBoy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Tbh, it is a gray area, you can't say so for sure.

Yea something I thought games have to do is post the chance of getting a certain item. When ubisoft did the trend of different color iotms they never put the chances of getting the items. I hope this situation gets fixed.
                  IGN: Flameskin

Comment

• Crunchyy
                    Crunchyy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That one is fine because iotms are bought using the game's currency, not rl currency

Submitted a developer guidelines violation report on Google Play, now thinking how to make one for Apple App Store, since I have no Apple devices...

Comment

Ubisoft going the Epic Games route

Comment

Working...
                    X