Do you think Discord is. waste of time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sumotravis30 View Post
    If you're to the point where it feels like you need to open Discord (aka the point where you feel like Discord is 'controlling' you), then yes; you have better to do.
    Agreed but it also depends on one’s self control
    Discord: TobyLerasco#7386

Comment

Originally posted by Kfbun View Post
      focus on your studies tobert, not ****ing delate your account and coming back again by using your cousin's account.

Everything is a waste of time in the end, because all we do will add up to nothing in the end, as long as you had fun and having no regrets doing the things you do, then i think that it isnt a waste of time.
      broo 😩🥺 his account was linked to one of my emails soo I just wanted to pop in since I miss you folks and the environment

Comment

Originally posted by Ohlid View Post
        Do people actually have fun on Discord? I am genuinely asking because I do not understand the appeal. Any servers worth joining have hundreds of members and no way to actually interact with others since text and voice chat usually have at least ten or so other contributors rambling at the same time. Smaller servers are always dead or full of irritating users with very few exceptions. Moderation is, in any server that treats itself “seriously”, unreasonably uptight and pretentious. The platform seems like a miscellany of every aspect of Internet culture that I hate.
        You’re right but I did have a lot of fun in my time in Discord actually, I made good friends, built a community that I’m still proud of, while it may be a waste of time to own a server and manage a server since it doesn’t have much or any benefit to you in real life I still am between whether regretting or not regretting joining Discord. Yes I did prioritize my Discord server above my real life and my IRL needs at some points (most) and thats what led me to quitting the platform its maybe because I owned a server and there was all this attention pointed at me however as some say it’s just some virtual power and virtual attention that has no benefit to you in real life or something that other people in real life won’t care about, really. I did a bunch of other things I shouldn’t have when I was using Discord just so I could talk to the friends I made there. I did try taking everything too seriously (moderation server management) at some point but at some point I realized its just some platform and nobody will care about some server I made in a few years or so and thats when I stopped taking things too seriously and wanted to have fun but again then there was drama so yeah IT will take over your LIFE if you have very poor self control. I don’t know honestly it’s worth joining? I don’t know. is it not worth of joining? I dont know. Most people validate their usage by saying its their free time, I used to too and I still want to but again then I remind my self of all the consequences it will have IRL if I make a new account and I try to stay away from the platform Idk honestly

Comment

Originally posted by QueenChloe View Post

Actually he sounds like former addict who got over his addiction (or is recovering rn) and now wants spread word to other possible addicts. (yes, i have been addicted to many things so ik from experience)

So Toby, if u were addict, stay strong and do not go back or if go, make some limit how long u can use it daily.
          Unfortunately had to delete my account to get over it. Yes I know lack of self control and I still think about the platform everyday but at least I don’t chat in Discord 13-15 hours a day anymore. Anyway, thanks Chloe.

Comment

ToBe hi

I use Discord cuz no one I know irl would be willing to listen to me, a social outcast, talking about what they perceive as random weird, surreal or trivial stuff.
            Also, they're mostly normies who can't understand my slang (which is, fortunately or unfortunately, depending on who you ask, mostly influenced by the Internet), and will therefore usually misunderstand, make fun and/or sexualise the things I do. For example, I once jokingly sent the "Not Funny I Didn't Laugh" copypasta to my class' WhatsApp group (as a response to some joke, which I actually didn't find funny). They took it to heart, accused me for being rude and for "spamming", then threatened to kick me out of the group (which they did not long after that, without the teacher's permission too).

I usually use Discord from like anywhere between 0 seconds/day to 4 hours/day, depending on how much I wanna interact with the people from the Discord servers I'm in.

Main reason why I decided to be active on Discord is because I want to keep in touch with my GT friends even after it (GT) shuts down or if I quit.
            Last edited by NotSeedTopian; 10-29-2020, 11:19 AM.
            Write something...

Comment

It depends, there's a difference between using Discord actively and for clear reasons VS using Discord just to kill time or looking for chats randomly with no clear goal. This also applies to any other social media app and even Growtopia. It's called "overstimulation". If you find yourself escaping into Discord whenever you're bored, stop, your brain is overstimulated, you procrastinate and can't focus on doing things because you're so distracted by Discord, your brain is so used to it, which is making your attention span shorter.

A way to recover from this is to just literally unplug your router, yeah, unplug your router every day for 6 continuous hours, only plug it back in if you really need to do something online (e.g school or work). This tricks your brain into thinking that there's no escape from boredom since you can't jump into the world of social media to kill time, and because your brain finds boredom unbearable, you'll find yourself doing actual productive stuff, like studying, exercise, and a whole lot more.

This whole thing is well explained in this TED talk.

So, yeah, nothing is a waste of time if used wisely.
              ~Chemmie
              Discord: Chemmie #7714

Comment

Originally posted by TobyLerasco View Post

Unfortunately had to delete my account to get over it. Yes I know lack of self control and I still think about the platform everyday but at least I don’t chat in Discord 13-15 hours a day anymore. Anyway, thanks Chloe.
                Lesson number 1: Addiction is not lack of self control. It is actual disease and deleting acc was actually the only right thing to do in that point. So yeah, u did the right thing and that shows more self control than other actions would do fr. Just keep in mind that it is easy to slip back in old habits, so try stay away at least for year now after u got out from it or else u will do all same mistakes again. And do not get new addiction from internet to replace old one.

Comment

I use Discord as a means to communicate with my high school friends when we aren't meeting, so it's not
                  IGN: Deftera
                  Just a Touhou fan and otaku
                  Latest Youtube Video:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8vHSG15YNQ&ab_channel=HonoderaGetsuy%C5%8 D

Subreddit of my manga: https://www.reddit.com/r/Shingenkai/

Comment

Originally posted by Kfbun View Post
                    Everything is a waste of time in the end, because all we do will add up to nothing in the end
                    Of course it is with that attitude!
                    brb, gonna start a nuclear war

Comment

Discord a place for communication, but the communication can be alittle be ditwitted in some way. Examples are cringe children trying to be a show model
                      Originally posted by Yasuo
                      *Hasagi*
                      Originally posted by AlsoYasuo
                      *Soryegadon*

Comment

I didn't know people actually spend days using Discord I only use it when I feel like it's required. I've never spent hours in Discord probably because chatting with strangers is kind of boring like I don't know anything about them but when I ask about them I feel like I'm prying. I usually just use Discord when I'm playing at night with my friends but in daytime, we just come over to each other's houses and play together. I've made a lot of Discord accounts because whenever I'm required to have a Discord I always forget my previous account so I make another one.

Comment

It's all about proper time management! .
                          IGN - MineDeath

If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor .

Instagram:
                          Instagram Link!
                          Discord:
                          Discord Link!

Comment

Possibly. Possibly not.

-Possibly
                            Well if you gain benefit from it, why not. For example, your friends are cool kids and uses discord instead of lame whatsapp, then there is absolutely no reason to not have discord installed. Or maybe you get money from being on discord. That works too.

-Possibly not
                            Well if you don't gain any benefit and you're not having fun, then I guess don't do it? You could've make something, like I don't know, maybe you want to build a perfect railgun on your backyard to kill the president of US, whatever you do.

Side note: Don't actually trust the internet. As Abraham Lincoln once famously said, "Don't believe everything, anything on the internet. They are probably just fabricated. Like this quote. Why am I saying this?".
                            Originally posted by Oma357
                            I am an anime trap

-Oma357
                            Currently is addicted to a gacha game, discord is the best place to contact. Forums are boring nowadays anyway.
                            Usually on Forumers United. Or Oma's server, if you know it.

Comment

There are much better things to do out there don’t you think? Focusing on your studies, playing an instrument or learning a new language playing basketball or doing sports rather then just sitting behind a computer 24/7?
                              Indeed, you are right. It is inexplicably better to interact with people and honing our hobbies rather than waste time on Discord. Here's a golly though, not all people are socially adept and/or they have real life problems. Discord is their only escape to reality. What more, there are people who have their hobbies based online. Some people have hobbies such as science, programming, and politics that actually require discussions and conversation to imprint an intuitive understanding.

What more, language learning is not hands-on or textbook learning limited. In fact, language learning requires immersion. Surprise, Discord provides that.

Discord is not useless.

also sports lmao its a pandemic

I very well know I’m not forced to sit behind a computer 24/7 I used to skip school just to chat in Discord back in the time until I decided to delete my account when it got worse, I had this experience so I’m asking you folks
                              Deleted your account but made multitudes of alternate accounts (ala Forumer Matt style) to "spy" or whatever.... on your friends. If you leave, do it with integrity. Stick to your word. You're not gonna be hated if you don't leave anyways.

You could do other things with that free time though, for example studying? or learning how to play an instrument, or spending time with your family assuming most of us are going to move out at some part of life and not going to be able to see them again everyday so why not spend time with the people who brought you life instead of chatting in discord servers that has no benefit to us?
                              Not all families are functional... like I said Discord is their only escape to reality

and Discord is not beneficial?

Discord? Who raised my English grammar exponentially...
                              Discord? Who gave me a deeper interest in physics and history....
                              Discord? Who helped me grow up and received advice and in turn, I do the same back....
                              Discord? Who helped me cope up with my internal and/or mental issues....
                              Discord? Who made me become more politically aware so I would know what's happening around me....

Do not demean something for others just because it means nothing to you.

broo 😩🥺 his account was linked to one of my emails soo I just wanted to pop in since I miss you folks and the environment
                              Missed.... which in turn ruined the formed bond and friendship... Fair point.

Originally posted by NotSeedTopian View Post
                              ToBe hi

I use Discord cuz no one I know irl would be willing to listen to me, a social outcast, talking about what they perceive as random weird, surreal or trivial stuff.
                              Also, they're mostly normies who can't understand my slang (which is, fortunately or unfortunately, depending on who you ask, mostly influenced by the Internet), and will therefore usually misunderstand, make fun and/or sexualise the things I do. For example, I once jokingly sent the "Not Funny I Didn't Laugh" copypasta to my class' WhatsApp group (as a response to some joke, which I actually didn't find funny). They took it to heart, accused me for being rude and for "spamming", then threatened to kick me out of the group (which they did not long after that, without the teacher's permission too).

I usually use Discord from like anywhere between 0 seconds/day to 4 hours/day, depending on how much I wanna interact with the people from the Discord servers I'm in.

Main reason why I decided to be active on Discord is because I want to keep in touch with my GT friends even after it (GT) shuts down or if I quit.
                              I am gonna be straightforward and say that it's your fault. Like I said, earlier to Toby, demeaning something just because it means nothing to you is horrible. If it didn't make you laugh, then don't. However, others might find it funny. Don't ruin the fun of others. Furthermore, have you not considered their feelings as well?

The world does not revolve around you; and neither myself nor them.

Be considerate. The Golden Rule applies here.

Originally posted by QueenChloe View Post
                              Actually he sounds like former addict who got over his addiction (or is recovering rn) and now wants spread word to other possible addicts. (yes, i have been addicted to many things so ik from experience)

So Toby, if u were addict, stay strong and do not go back or if go, make some limit how long u can use it daily.

Lesson number 1: Addiction is not lack of self control. It is actual disease and deleting acc was actually the only right thing to do in that point. So yeah, u did the right thing and that shows more self control than other actions would do fr. Just keep in mind that it is easy to slip back in old habits, so try stay away at least for year now after u got out from it or else u will do all same mistakes again. And do not get new addiction from internet to replace old one.
                              Just letting you know he might have had done the opposite of what he's saying. It's not in my place to speak objectively but to speak subjectively, I believe it only sunk his condition further.

-------
                              So do I think Discord is a waste of time? Definitely not. We always learn something there everyday. We need to be careful though.

I was addicted to this **** game once and luckily I escaped the pit.

Let me give this quote by Mark Twain... It applies mellifluously.

"We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it and stop there lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove lid again and that is well but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore.”
                              -------
                              DISCORD: Comrade_MattLaurence #0027

Comment

• NotSeedTopian
                                NotSeedTopian commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Ok, I'll admit, I am in the wrong by calling them "uncultured" and expecting them to understand a copypasta which seems realistic and unsatirical.
                                But there are several other similar incidents in which they accuse me for things I didn't do.
                                also pls dont reply, for i am a snowflake

• Union
                                Union commented
                                Editing a comment
                                NotSeedTopian, this is a reply.

just dont be stupid and you'll be fine
                              Quit this game already
                              I am LightX, call me Light not Elyrion
                              Discord: Ash#4444
                              Pet Rock Server : yeah I removed the invite stop joining the dead server there's no point

We require Peace and Tranquility

Comment

Working...
                              X