Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My impressions after a few days of playing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My impressions after a few days of playing.

Let me start off by saying: I love it. It's great fun, the crafting system is very unique, and the game has kept me enthralled since release. It's the only game I touch on my iPod now. Seth and Co. have done a great job. I have very few dislikes, and the ones I have aren't gamebreaking.

Let me go over a few of the big points on the game now.

Controls:
    The controls are quite good, but I don't understand the jump button on the left side, I never use it, except by accident. To me at least, it's in the way.

User Interface:
    Solid UI, I like the way you can pull up your inventory, and pull down the chat. It works alot better than some of the other game i've played. However, when you get near the edge of the screen, it can get in your way when trying to place or remove blocks. Using four fingers to temporarily hide the UI might be nice.

Crafting:
    This is great, and the essence of the game. I have played quite a few games, and never one that involved splicing seeds as much as this one. It's a fresh take on the crafting system, and a welcome one.

Gems:
    This is a Free2Play game in the very essence of the word. You can literally play for free, and not be hindered in your gameplay, without ever having to spend a dime. The game is quite generous when it comes to handing out free gems, and that is wonderful. Often times, otherwise great games are suffocated by their provocative use of a cash shop. This is not the case here, and I applaud you for it. Your prices when it comes to buying gems with real money, are also great.

Customer Support: I had an issue, where I purchased some gems but did not receive them. I emailed Seth, and he had it fixed up within a couple hours, and he even added a little bonus for the trouble. Alot of times, customer service is being overlooked these days, but not here.

Well with that being said, let me end with just a few ideas for the future:
    • A friends list.
    • Trading feature.
    • Item display boxes - You put in an item, and it has the name on it. Could be used to make player run stores and the like. If locked, only the lock owner can open them.
    • Warp Blocks - Upon touching them, instantly teleports you to another Warp Block. Uses ID system, like doors. Useful for checkpoints in jump maps.
    • Mailbox blocks - Allows you to send a player items and mail.

---

Last but not least, thanks for the great game, and keep up the awesome work!
    sigpic

I agree about the jump button on the left. I've hit it by accident plenty of times, but actually using it has never felt right to me. But there are probably some people that do use it, so perhaps a toggle instead of a complete removal would be better.

The ability to hide the UI temporarily would definitely be useful for those tight spaces.

The gem thing is also definitely true, this game uses IAP the right way. When free games aren't crippled by their implementation of IAP is when I actually purchase it to support the devs.

I agree on the friend list suggestion every time it comes up =p

Trading is tricky with me. Because I want it, but I don't. Why? Because the pros and cons are the exact same thing:
    Pro: Less scamming
    Con: Less scamming

I don't scam, steal or grief, but remember that this game offers the ability to be good or bad at the will of the player. So a system thats sole purpose is to prevent a choice of that nature seems an odd addition. I'm actually somewhat under the assumption that the reason it hasn't already been added is due to that reasoning.

Warp blocks would be cool. Though I fail to see how they could serve as checkpoints. At least in death related challenge maps, since when you die you return to the white door. And if you put warp pads there, what's going to stop people from just warping to the last checkpoint?

A checkpoint block of sorts would be cool, though. When you pass over it, it becomes your respawn point until you leave the world maybe?

A mail system would also be greatly welcomed. The ability to leave users messages when they're offline, send them items, etc.

Comment

Good points on the trading, it is part of the charm to see how people come up with trading things (safe or not). I've seen a couple interesting things already.

I had thought about the checkpoint block type idea, but I figured a warp block would allow more versatility other than just checkpoints, although you could still use them as checkpoints in more of a round-a-bout way.

A warp in my mind, is basically a forced door. So you would set up where you want your checkpoint to be, place the warp block, set an ID of checkpoint1, and set the destination to nothing. Then you move on, and you create the next challenge, and instead of placing a death spike to kill them, you place a warp block, set the destination to checkpoint1, and if they hit it by accident, they get sent back to checkpoint1. Obviously these would be locked, so other players couldn't change them.

However, a respawn block like you said would be simpler for this purpose, and would allow for "true death" like by spikes.
      sigpic

Comment

I figured the forced warp part, but I didn't think about using them as obstacles as well.

But, personally I wouldn't want to have to choose one or the other. I like both of the ideas and can think of a number of implementations that make me want to have both rather than just one.

Comment

Indeed. We can never have to many options.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the thoughtful suggestions. Yeah I don't see a reason why not to implement both one way warps and checkpoints, as long as we can make sure they are really intuitive to setup. (what should a checkpoint look like? oh well, that's hamumu's problem!)

Trading - will give this one some thought, we also had a sort of vending machine idea, just so many things we have to improve before we to it..
            Seth A. Robinson
            Robinson Technologies

Comment

About the jump button on the left.. I guess I'll add an option to disable it.

I imagined that people would be touching the tiles to punch and build, and would want to do a quick (if not as precise..) jump by only using their left hand, without having to stop touching nearby tiles with the right hand.

Is anybody using it that way? Seems like no...
              Seth A. Robinson
              Robinson Technologies

Comment

Originally posted by Seth View Post
                Thanks for the thoughtful suggestions. Yeah I don't see a reason why not to implement both one way warps and checkpoints, as long as we can make sure they are really intuitive to setup. (what should a checkpoint look like? oh well, that's hamumu's problem!)

Trading - will give this one some thought, we also had a sort of vending machine idea, just so many things we have to improve before we to it..
                I like all the suggestions there great ideas.Here are a few of my ideas.You should add some sort of chest or something.Another one i have is a shop block so instead of buying random seeds people could buy specifics from these blocks.Heres how they would work.You would put in the item you are selling then you would add a price to sell.Then the user would tap these and it they would spend jems on it and the jems would go to the person who setup the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Seth View Post
                  About the jump button on the left.. I guess I'll add an option to disable it.

I imagined that people would be touching the tiles to punch and build, and would want to do a quick (if not as precise..) jump by only using their left hand, without having to stop touching nearby tiles with the right hand.

Is anybody using it that way? Seems like no...
                  Ahh yea. I had never thought to do that, it just seemed akward to me. However, I can see how some people would do that.
                  sigpic

Comment

The vending machine idea sounds kind of cool haha.

And yeah the left jump just feels really awkward with me, too much so to use while building. It's more precise and easy for me to make a quick floating block to stand on than it is to try to jump and aim. But that's just me personally.

Comment

Please..

Take away that nasty jump button on the left it's so annoying .
                      Trading plox
                      Check out the item Tv Head I made in the Growtopia wikia!
                      Also Helped out BlueBerrys on Jetpack!

Xkrazyways

Comment

Pro-jump button myself. Old school mario on N.E.S.!!. reserve the up directional for ladders cause imo building your way up is messy and tricky. Where the ladders at?

Comment

An option to target background items only with the fist would come in handy . For
                          example; If you want to change the background, but you have a block or tree there, you currently have to
                          first destroy the block or harvest the tree before you can change the background. Maybe this is intentional, but if not, I could see myself using such an option.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xqisit View Post
                            An option to target background items only with the fist would come in handy . For
                            example; If you want to change the background, but you have a block or tree there, you currently have to
                            first destroy the block or harvest the tree before you can change the background. Maybe this is intentional, but if not, I could see myself using such an option.
                            No you don't o.o You can use background items on any space, even ones that already possess background tiles(unless they possess the same background tile you're using) or blocks, so you can override them.

Unless something recently changed, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Seil View Post
                              No you don't o.o You can use background items on any space, even ones that already possess background tiles(unless they possess the same background tile you're using) or blocks, so you can override them.

Unless something recently changed, anyway.
                              No, you are correct. You can override it, but you can't remove it. My bad for saying "change". At the time I wrote that I was trying to remove the glass background from behind some trees (back to the default sky). It's not really a big deal at all, just something I noticed.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X