Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expressing my utter disappointment towards the Pineapple PVP Contest results.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expressing my utter disappointment towards the Pineapple PVP Contest results.

After a week of waiting (and an extra 3 days), the winners of the Pineapple PVP Building Contest were finally announced. To my surprise, and to most of our fellow builders/players, some worlds just didn't feel like they deserved their place. (DISCLAIMER: This is not meant to attack any of the owners of the worlds that won, only purpose here is to give my criticism towards the judgment.)

This has so far been the most disappointing out of all the contests I've participated in, which is why I decided to make this thread. I will divide it into multiple points to give a more detailed criticism.

Inconsistency with the rules. When the contest was announced, everyone was confused about how they suddenly decided to require the same forum email as the one we have in-game. Where is the transparency with why this rule was added in the first place? That alone may have likely discouraged numbers of builders to participate, considering the security breaches we had recently. As for the other rules, compared to recent ones, this contest does not specify the important points of a winning-worthy world. The only part that gives bonus points is when we get to explain why this game mechanic is our favourite, when ironically, the PVP system in-game hasn't been updated since forever. Not even a plus point for "unique game mechanics" or "newly built worlds", that of which I would anticipate in an official building contest. Minus points for factors such as "copied pixel-art" have also been forgotten, which brings me to my next point.

The winning worlds. (Plugging in the DISCLAIMER again: This is not meant to attack any of the owners of the worlds that won, only purpose here is to give my criticism towards the judgment.) This point is what really set me off to write this thread in the first place. Some worlds, if not most, feel to me that they did not deserve their spot. A selected few of these worlds have various factors that should have had them penalized (if only these were added in the rules, yes?); a few include blatant copies of pixel-arts, poorly designed arenas, boring and repetitive mechanics, and irrelevance to the Pineapple theme. Trying my best not to call out specific worlds, but they should be pretty obvious. A sad result of the unclear rules is that this encourages people to slack on building worlds without improvement and low standards seeing how poorly-designed worlds win easily. Which brings me to my last point;

The worlds that didn't win. This has really left me confused with how certain worlds lost over the ones that did. (I am not begging to change the winners with these, only trying to compare the winning worlds to the ones that didn't.) Setting all biased claims aside, a few worlds that caught my attention include the following:

KOACROSSING: *Unique* game mechanic, highly doubt I've seen anyone make specific use of this PVP concept. Great design.

THEGREATPINEAPPLEWAR: Also a *unique* game mechanic. Apart from punching your opponents to death, players would also need to defend their base from being destroyed, else the game would immediately end. Pixel arts look original, though I can't be too sure. Still uses the space around it as an arena pretty well. Has adventure items to liven up the mechanic. Overall a good design.

It's pretty clear how these worlds amongst a few others should've won, but why didn't they?

To end the thread, all I could say now is I hope to expect a better result not only for the building contests, but all of the competitions to come.
    Last edited by PixelJr; 07-02-2020, 10:25 PM.
    IGN: PixelJr
    Instagram: @iampixeljr
    Discord: PixelJr#2322
    Growtopia Discord: https://discord.gg/c2j2C92
    Growtopia Treehouse: https://discord.gg/WXjSK95
    Content Moderator for Growtopia Wiki.

I didn't visit many worlds but KOACROSSING was amazing and really fun to actually play.
    . because yes ,

Changed my name to Proni2

Comment

I have no idea how PINEVSTIKI got 2nd place. I mean I can understand WARTOPIA since the design of it is absolutely amazing because of course it is, its techy

KOACROSSING to me looks very plain. It looks like WARTOPIA but scaled down on all the good parts

I'm also surprised how QUARTPVP even made it into the 9th place.

░▒▓███████▓▒░
      ▷▷Retired poster◁◁
      ░▒▓███████▓▒░
      ┅⊏⧖⊐┅
      ▽⧩▼▼▼⧨▽
      Random stuff in GOLA
      ▲◭△△△◮▲
      ┅⊏⧖⊐┅

Comment

+1

Hi pix
        Learn to love yourself, before you love others.
        Instagram: @gt.mera
        Discord: //#6666

Comment

hi congrats pro winners
          IGN : Liquify

support my wholesome Axolotl thread!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 7.31.54 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	6606175

I mean clearly ubisoft had more important issues than picking these worlds, it was probably rushed because the results were posted late as well.
            IGN: Jisam
            Discord: Jisam#9391
            Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4A...K6Dc_3N0hJGhYQ

Comment

Congratulations to the winners, really. However, I feel like the contest this time was held at a lower standard than the other contests? I felt like a lot of the previous contests were much better held and the winners were pretty deserving of it. This one was just quite odd, honestly. I mean, I understand that Ubisoft's having difficulties with a lot of the server issues, bugs and other things, however I kind of expected better? Especially since there's a lot of people in the team.
              IGN: Dr.eamy (previously ElectroDream)
              Discord: Dreamy#2149
              IG: @electrodreamy
              WOTD count: 25

Comment

Originally posted by Jisam View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]242612[/ATTACH]

I mean clearly ubisoft had more important issues than picking these worlds, it was probably rushed because the results were posted late as well.
                they had like a week plus to pick

Comment

Hey all,

I feel really bad about the outcome of this contest and would like to clear the air.

June was a very difficult, fast paced, and busy month that was full of hurdles for everybody. If you remember, there was Super Pineapple Party, Startopia 2.0, and PvP Cards, among all the other usual events, plus we welcomed new Guardians onto the team. This world building contest fell on me, and it was my first time hosting one (both Forums & World Building contest).

Watching the submissions come through, I was very very excited to see everyone's creations! Being a builder myself, I get inspired by seeing what you guys can do. Once the submissions were closed, I organized everything and shared it with the team so we could all vote. Clearly a world or two slipped through the cracks. With all of the events happening, not everyone could get around to reviewing and voting. Of course, this is on me for not poking them enough to look at all the entries.

Due to illness and holidays over the past two weeks, I failed to communicate properly with the rest of the team, and that's totally on me. This is what caused the final results to be delayed - and definitely less accurate than expected. For that, I apologize.

Your words have not gone unheard. I appreciate your feedback and take it to heart. June was a huge lesson in pro-activity for me. This will not happen again on my watch!

Kindly,

~ Odric

P.S. The email rule was removed and you shouldn't see it sneaking into any future contests.
                  Canadian Community Manager

Dream big! The future is yours!!!

Link to my official IG

Comment

Originally posted by Odric View Post
                    Hey all,

I feel really bad about the outcome of this contest and would like to clear the air.

June was a very difficult, fast paced, and busy month that was full of hurdles for everybody. If you remember, there was Super Pineapple Party, Startopia 2.0, and PvP Cards, among all the other usual events, plus we welcomed new Guardians onto the team. This world building contest fell on me, and it was my first time hosting one (both Forums & World Building contest).

Watching the submissions come through, I was very very excited to see everyone's creations! Being a builder myself, I get inspired by seeing what you guys can do. Once the submissions were closed, I organized everything and shared it with the team so we could all vote. Clearly a world or two slipped through the cracks. With all of the events happening, not everyone could get around to reviewing and voting. Of course, this is on me for not poking them enough to look at all the entries.

Due to illness and holidays over the past two weeks, I failed to communicate properly with the rest of the team, and that's totally on me. This is what caused the final results to be delayed - and definitely less accurate than expected. For that, I apologize.

Your words have not gone unheard. I appreciate your feedback and take it to heart. June was a huge lesson in pro-activity for me. This will not happen again on my watch!

Kindly,

~ Odric

P.S. The email rule was removed and you shouldn't see it sneaking into any future contests.
                    is there at least any plan to do another judging session in times like this?

Comment

bumping this

Comment

Working...
                      X