Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

Thread: Do we need mods? Honestly

  1. #1
    Master Sorcerer ALEXOVER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Standing on note "A"
    Posts
    737

    Default Do we need mods? Honestly

    Honestly do we need them? I completely understand we need Support and the Developers, but honestly why do we need moderators? Yes they help by banning, cursing, ducktapeing, and assisting. But people simply dont learn, they make the same mistakes and inevitably blame it on someone else when things go wrong. Maybe if their were no mods people would start to be more careful and become more aware. "If you give a man a fish he's fed for the day, if you teach a man to fish, he's fed for life."
    I think the efforts of Moderaters should be more geared towards helping and teaching with wisdom and information, Not punishment.
    Moderators do a alot and I'm not trying to say their efforts are in vain, you people work so hard and I respect that.
    Those are my thoughts
    ~Rockefeller
    Growtopia Name: Rockefeller
    Lv. 80
    Achievements 91/100
    4400 Hours Played
    Super Supporter
    Standing on the note "A"

  2. #2
    Master Sorcerer Boomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Picking up radiation
    Posts
    10,812

    Default

    We need them for actual problems: bullying and hacking (and maybe some other things I forgot about). They should leave scamming alone, since 20 mods isn't and never will put a dent in the number of people who scam. Let people get scammed, and it will also develop a more intelligent community, one that doesn't require their hands being held all the time.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota, US
    Posts
    2,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyFish View Post
    If you teach a man to fish he will catch me.
    https://gfycat.com/TintedVillainousIndianabat

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    We need them for actual problems: bullying and hacking (and maybe some other things I forgot about). They should leave scamming alone, since 20 mods isn't and never will put a dent in the number of people who scam. Let people get scammed, and it will also develop a more intelligent community, one that doesn't require their hands being held all the time.
    I feel like I'm the only one who believes scamming should be 100% legal

  4. #4
    Master Sorcerer Boomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Picking up radiation
    Posts
    10,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemtndew View Post
    I feel like I'm the only one who believes scamming should be 100% legal
    I've felt this way for the last 2 years.

  5. #5
    Master Sorcerer ALEXOVER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Standing on note "A"
    Posts
    737

    Default

    Bullying is a serious issue but the game has all the tools to avoid it. Thanks to the Developers
    ~Rock
    Growtopia Name: Rockefeller
    Lv. 80
    Achievements 91/100
    4400 Hours Played
    Super Supporter
    Standing on the note "A"

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota, US
    Posts
    2,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ALEXOVER View Post
    Bullying is a serious issue but the game has all the tools to avoid it. Thanks to the Developers
    ~Rock
    Do you think some day all these posts you make are going to become popular quotes or something?

  7. #7
    Master Sorcerer ALEXOVER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Standing on note "A"
    Posts
    737

    Default

    They're special to me that's all that matters
    ~Rock
    Growtopia Name: Rockefeller
    Lv. 80
    Achievements 91/100
    4400 Hours Played
    Super Supporter
    Standing on the note "A"

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota, US
    Posts
    2,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I've felt this way for the last 2 years.
    Do you also believe that all of the people who say Growtopia casinos will make kids turn into gambling addicts are being ridiculous?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ALEXOVER View Post
    They're special to me that's all that matters
    ~Rock
    I hate you so much

  9. #9
    Master Sorcerer ALEXOVER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Standing on note "A"
    Posts
    737

    Default

    It's not ridiculous, It's true I was addicted and struggle with it still. The whole Growtopia team saw it and ended it.
    ~Rock
    Growtopia Name: Rockefeller
    Lv. 80
    Achievements 91/100
    4400 Hours Played
    Super Supporter
    Standing on the note "A"

  10. #10
    Master Sorcerer Shawn Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,327

    Default

    I agree with this post. I think the biggest power a moderator has is the incredible influence they have whenever they speak. People look to moderators for answers so why not be a guide/guru giving wisdom to the people?

    I would appreciate the moderators a lot more if they were more active in setting trends. When people idolize you they want to be like you. Reguardless of what anyone thinks becoming a moderator makes you an instant game celebrity. People wanna know about you and what drives you. Give them good examples to follow...

    So as a guy who wanted to be a moderator and I looked up to them and always checked the forums for that informative moderator post and thier attempts to make the community a more positive and friendly place.

    Only problem I had was that I was left with a few examples of what I would not wanna do. The remaining ones don't really seem to say much on the forums at all unless its long after a mayjor problem occoured or speaking directly to a specific question occasionally. I appreciated that but I guess I expected more.

    I am sure there is a lot I don't know or don't see, but in my opinion thats kinda the problem. I don't think we need more mods or different mods. I think that maybe people should live up to the celebrity status they have and make more appearences for thier adoring public.

    I think when people say they want more mods, its not what they are after. I think they see the endless love and attention mods recieve and deep down they just want a moderator to pay some attention to them. This is just my opinion.
    Last edited by Shawn Wilson; 01-08-2016 at 04:28 PM.

  11. #11
    Master Sorcerer Glance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    884

    Default

    Think of what might happen if the number of people who never learn continuously increases without fraction.
    Whether those people change or not, I think mods are still in an important position to reduce the increase rate of those people.

    Though I do agree that the people need some sort of education.
    http://www.growtopiagame.com/forums/...9&d=1411307218

    http://steamsignature.com/profile/en...8040147387.png

    • Growtopian since Jan. 28, 2013
    • Composer in GT
    • Made songs in 15+ WOTDs
    • Some of my new songs can be found at GSTUDIO

  12. #12
    Master Sorcerer Boomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Picking up radiation
    Posts
    10,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemtndew View Post
    Do you also believe that all of the people who say Growtopia casinos will make kids turn into gambling addicts are being ridiculous?
    Yes. Because there's casino games in the App Store and little kids play those too. Just because its a different game doesn't really make it any different.

    Its also like saying playing violent games like CoD and Halo will turn kids into school shooters or serial killers. The number of school shooters to kids who play violent games is minute (1/1,000,000?). Its BS.


    If you want to take all your gaming experience into the real world and do here what did in game, then you probably shouldn't play games at all.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota, US
    Posts
    2,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Yes. Because there's casino games in the App Store and little kids play those too. Just because its a different game doesn't really make it any different.

    Its also like saying playing violent games like CoD and Halo will turn kids into school shooters or serial killers. The number of school shooters to kids who play violent games is minute (1/100,000,000?). Its BS.


    If you want to take all your gaming experience into the real world and do here what did in game, then you probably shouldn't play games at all.
    I said the exact same thing to those people.

    Are you me?

  14. #14
    Master Sorcerer Boomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Picking up radiation
    Posts
    10,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemtndew View Post
    Are you me?
    No because I don't live in Minnesota.

  15. #15
    Master Sorcerer Tempting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    4,610

    Default

    First different perspective I've seen on moderators in a long time, and I agree. They shouldn't help out with the scamming portion of the game, because if people fall for gullible traps, it's their loss. However, for bullying situations and things of the like, that would be more beneficial for the learning in the community.
    Student Programmer
    -Java
    -Android (Java)
    -Full Stack
    -Basic Lua (Pico8)
    -Basic C# (Unity)

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota, US
    Posts
    2,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tempting View Post
    First different perspective I've seen on moderators in a long time, and I agree. They shouldn't help out with the scamming portion of the game, because if people fall for gullible traps, it's their loss. However, for bullying situations and things of the like, that would be more beneficial for the learning in the community.
    They really need to make it clearer as to what is considered bullying and what isn't though because the rules they have at the moment leave a lot of lee-way for mods to abuse their power. I saw this countless times with Sam, as he would ban/curse/tape people for the smallest of things.

  17. #17
    Master Sorcerer currycrab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Casino game is usually disallow due to there is an element of luck involved.

    In game, there must be an element of skills involved. Like spleef etc, you need to kill me before i kill you, by using skill.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ALEXOVER View Post
    Honestly do we need them? I completely understand we need Support and the Developers, but honestly why do we need moderators? Yes they help by banning, cursing, ducktapeing, and assisting. But people simply dont learn, they make the same mistakes and inevitably blame it on someone else when things go wrong. Maybe if their were no mods people would start to be more careful and become more aware. "If you give a man a fish he's fed for the day, if you teach a man to fish, he's fed for life."
    I think the efforts of Moderaters should be more geared towards helping and teaching with wisdom and information, Not punishment.
    Moderators do a alot and I'm not trying to say their efforts are in vain, you people work so hard and I respect that.
    Those are my thoughts
    ~Rockefeller
    Moderators are necessary. When there is a dispute outburst, a mediator is required. Unfortunately, this game do not have a proper policy.

    Moderators are following the policy set. it should be improved such as 24/7, moderators are online and the chat logs should be logged for moderators to review / so does the trade logs.

    It may sound easy but if developers or owners do not drive this direction, we are back to square one. Square one mean that scamming will not get ban.
    About currycrab

  18. #18
    Master Sorcerer KAGEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by currycrab View Post
    Casino game is usually disallow due to there is an element of luck involved.

    In game, there must be an element of skills involved. Like spleef etc, you need to kill me before i kill you, by using skill.
    There are a lot of features that rely on luck for profit or progression, such as surgery or villains. So no, that's not the reason why they aren't allowed.

  19. #19
    Lesser Wizard
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Of course we need moderators they keep the rules of growtopia intact.
    They ban scammers and some do learn and all will eventually, they stop bullying and trolling.Help players and make growtopia a better place.
    Without mods the game would be a mess and would crash completely it would be havoc.
    The developers would not be able to deal with all the reports and issues they get by themselves.
    So yes we need moderators saying we don't is idiotic.

  20. #20
    Master Sorcerer ALEXOVER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Standing on note "A"
    Posts
    737

    Default

    I respect and look up to moderaters so much these people are extraordinary in all that they do. I'm upset that wave after wave it's the same thing, new players will continue to scam and their will always be evil and ill in the community. I just don't see the reason why we have to punish and nuke the problems rather than inform and redirect others.
    ~Rockefeller
    Growtopia Name: Rockefeller
    Lv. 80
    Achievements 91/100
    4400 Hours Played
    Super Supporter
    Standing on the note "A"

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •