Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: From the Support Desk

Banned

Question FAQ: I'm going to hurt myself if I don't get what I want.

The support desk staff have had several very immature people using "I'm going to kill myself" as a way to try to get something. I thought it might be a good idea to let you all know exactly what support staff has been told to do if someone says that phrase in an email to them:

Customer: I want that very expensive item that I haven't earned and if I don't get it right now I'm going to kill myself.
    Support Desk: If you truly feel as though you need to hurt yourself you need to talk to a trusted adult in real life. If you don't have a trusted adult in your real life, here is a website that provides information about suicide hotline around the world: http://suicidehotlines.com/international.html. Now, because of the seriousness of this kind of threat, I am no longer allowed to respond to any emails that you send. Best of luck...
    Customer: I was just kidding...
    Support Desk:
    Customer: I need information about how to change my password.
    Support Desk:
    (end scene)

Suicide is a very real problem and we do not want ANYONE to hurt themselves, which is why we offer the suicide hotline link. If someone is really in danger of self-harm, we want to provide whatever information we can to prevent it from happening. However, our support desk staff are not trained to deal with things like suicide threats and once a suicide threat has been made they will no longer respond to ANYTHING that person sends. So please... think twice before using something as serious as the threat of self-harm just to get your way in a game.

One last thing about this:
    It is important that you take a break from playing any video game. Getting so upset over anything that happens in a game is a good sign that you're spending too much time playing it. Make sure you are balancing online life with real life. Go play outside. Get some fresh air. Talk to someone face to face. Go for a jog. Pet your cat. Hug your grandma. Read a book. Games are fun, but Growtopia will be here when you get back. You will never have a chance to redo the real life moments you are missing right now!

Banned

Question FAQ: How do I report a glitch?

Just like in any game, there is the occasional glitch in Growtopia.

If you think you have discovered a new glitch, you are encouraged to report it so we can check it out. Most likely, we already know about it and have already taken steps to deal with it, but we have had players report things we didn't know about.

The best way to report a suspected glitch:

1) Take some screenshots showing what's happening.
    2) Send a ticket to support desk.
    3) Go on with your life.

There are some minor, harmless glitches that have been reported but are so low on the priority list that they haven't been tracked down and fixed. There are some glitches that have been repaired but left behind seeds or other evidence. These aren't things to worry about. Any glitch that has a chance of causing trouble is IMMEDIATELY dealt with.
    Last edited by ByteCode; 06-20-2019 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Updated!

Banned

Question FAQ: How do I report another player for ________?

So it turns out that one of the favorite aspects of Growtopia is to tattle on other players for various real and imagined infractions. Here are some of the most common things people try to "tattle" about and our general reactions.

* Scamming *
    We can't fix most scams, which is why we've given you all kinds of tools to help prevent them: locks, passwords, bigger locks, backpacks, even BIGGER locks, and most importantly, FREE WILL. You can avoid most scams simply by refusing to fall for someone else's tricks and lies. There's more information about scams here.

You can report a scam to the support desk, but most likely they will tell you "Sorry, but we can't fix scams" and send you the information I just linked to.

* Hacking an Account *
    There is information about password hacking HERE and lock picking (not a real thing!) HERE.

If you think you've been hacked, you can report it to the support desk, but they will probably point you to the links above and tell you to change your password. We do NOT return stolen items. We try to check the logs and ban people who have hacked others, but with almost a million accounts we don't really have the time to investigate every instance of hacking. Keep your password secure and you won't have to worry about it.

* Swearing *
    I have explained about swearing here. Can't be bothered to click and read? Here's the summary: We don't like swearing but it's not against the rules. Turn on your swear filter and use the /ignore command. We may choose to tape/curse you if you evade the swear filter or use excessive profanity, however. So be civil.

* Bullying *
    We have a very low tolerance for bullying, which we define as excessive and/or repeated abuse of another player. This obviously leaves lots of room for interpretation and we have given our moderators permission to take action if they feel someone is bullying another player. Bullying can include racist or sexist remarks, excessive or filter evading swear words, threats, sexual content, or anything else that is said simply to hurt or scare another player. Depending on the severity of the bullying, you can be taped, cursed, or banned from the game for varying lengths of time.

If someone is being rude to you, here's what you do:

1) Do NOT respond to them in any way. Use /ignore and go to a different world. This is not only the best way to stop the bullying, it's also the best revenge. Bullies HATE to be ignored.

2) If the bullying continues, take a screenshot and email it to the support desk. Include the names of the players involved and tell us where and when it happened. You will be told to use /ignore and go to a different world. They will investigate and if they find evidence that there is bullying happening (excessive and/or repeated abuse), they will take action. They will NOT tell you what action, if any, they have taken.

3) Go on with your life. Make friends with some of the hundreds of thousands of incredibly kind people who are playing Growtopia. Forget about the couple of jerks. They're not worth the time and energy it takes to be keep worrying about or hating them.

* Something in Real Life *
    If you are being bullied or harassed in real life... don't report it to the support desk! This isn't because we don't care. It's because we DO care and we want you to be safe. We can't control what people to, especially not in real life, and it's important for you to have a real person you can go to if you need help. This is probably a parent, but it can also be a teacher, a coach, or even a police officer. REAL LIFE PROBLEMS REQUIRE REAL LIFE ADULTS.

* World Banning *
    World locks allow you to ban other players from your world. Just use the wrench tool on a players name and click on "world ban". This is a handy tool when someone is misbehaving in your world.

You can be world banned by another player for ANY reason. They can world ban you for swearing or punching or wearing the wrong color hair. That's their right as the owner of the world. If you don't like their rules... go play in a different world. As of this moment, there are over 12 MILLION worlds. Go find one that doesn't have a problem with your hair color. Better yet, make your OWN world, world lock it, and ban whomever you want yourself!

Do NOT report world banning to the support desk. We don't care. Sorry.

* Impersonating Another Player *
    There are lots of names that look similar to other names. Someone might use an "l" in place of an "I" or use a similar non-GrowID name so that they get to have "Froglips_822" when someone else is just "Froglips". This might be because someone else had the same awesome name idea as you. It might be because they actually have the same name as you. "M1chael" isn't necessarily trying to upset "Michael". There are LOTS of Michaels out there in the world. It's NOT a big deal.

There are some name imitators who are trying to confuse people for their own benefit however. This is not something we can fix. If someone is imitating you, just make sure your friends know to be very careful about who they are talking to and trading with. You don't have to worry about someone with a similar name getting you into trouble. We have other ways of making sure we are punishing the right person. (Which means all those people who post in the forum about how they were punished because of something someone else did... yeah, they're not being 100% honest with you, folks! I know. I'm shocked, too!)

Do NOT email the support desk about someone imitating your name. We can't do anything about it. You don't own the name or the variations on the name. Sorry.

NOTE: We do make an exception for moderator names. If someone is clearly imitating a mod to try to scam people we will forcibly rename them. Most people do not love the names we pick for them. Once you've been forcibly renamed, you don't get to pick your own name ever again. So don't imitate mod, mkay?

* Using the Forum Incorrectly *
    Seriously. We get this all the time. Honestly, we're a little jealous that there are people out there whose lives are so relaxed and boring that they have nothing better to do than get up in other people's faces about putting a forum post in the wrong thread. We kind of think that if you have that much free time on your hands, you might want to consider volunteering with the elderly. Or taking your dog for a walk. Or reading a book. I hear the Harry Potter series is pretty good.

We don't like a bunch of forum clutter any more than you do, and we have mods who keep an eye on things. But most of what is cluttering up the place is hundreds of post saying "This is in the wrong thread" or "Your grammar needs work" or "Someone already asked this".

Every time you post something like that, a Forum Fairy loses its wings! SAVE THE FORUM FAIRIES! If you don't have something useful to say... don't say anything at all. Skip the pseudo-modding and start an actual conversation about something interesting.

In case it's not already clear... Do NOT report forum stuff to the support desk. If you see a thread that has profanity or sexual content which hasn't already been dealt with, you CAN send a forum PM to Seth or Hamumu or any other mod.

* Reporting Me *
    We do NOT punish people based on player reports. We ONLY punish people if we find evidence of rule breaking in our own logs. So if you haven't done anything wrong, you don't need to worry about someone reporting you. We'll check the logs, see that you did nothing wrong and ignore the report. If it makes you feel better, we also investigate the reporter and if we see that THEY did something wrong, we punish THEM. They hate that.

You do NOT need to report someone for reporting you. Then they report you for reporting them for reporting you. Then you report them for reporting you for reporting them for reporting you... It's an Inception-like rabbit hole of madness and we want no part of it.
    Last edited by Seth; 11-19-2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: 12 million worlds, not billion!

Banned

Default FAQ: What's with all the "gangs"?

I don't know. When you let people have the freedom to do and say what they want, you get all kinds of interesting results. This is one of them. So far, we haven't seen anyone breaking any rules, so it's all good. It doesn't change anything about keeping your stuff safe. A couple of reminders:

* ANYONE with access can take your stuff!! So don't give your "gang members" access unless you're ready to donate your most valuable items to them.

* We have a very low tolerance for bullying, so keep your trash talk and gang rivalries on the friendly side.

It's just like everything else that's come up in the game: if you don't want to be a part of it, all you have to do is go to a different world.

Banned

Question FAQ: Will you break a lock so I can have <WORLD NAME HERE>?

No.
    If it's locked, that means that someone else got to it first. It wouldn't be fair of us to remove someone's lock just because you think you could do something better with their world. You'll have to find a world that isn't already owned. Lock up a world and then we'll refuse to break your lock when someone else thinks they can do something better than you.

Follow up FAQ: But what if that person hasn't been active since <DATE HERE>?

Still no. That person you think is inactive was probably playing today. Just because you don't see someone online doesn't make them inactive. It just means they play at different times than you. You'll have to find your own world.

<>UPDATE<>
    If an account has been inactive for 180 days, their locks will become breakable. This applies to small, big, and huge locks ONLY. It does NOT apply to world locks. It also does not apply to locks that have more than one person with access.

In summary: If a lock is removable, YOU can break it yourself. If you can't break it, neither can we.
    Last edited by Solorien; 01-11-2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Update

Banned

Question FAQ: My Dragon Hand just disappeared for no reason! Give it back!

Short answer:
    No.
    No, it didn't.

- - -

Long answer:
    We have gotten at least a dozen of these reports this week. I don't know who decided that we were dumb enough to just hand over a dragon hand because someone said it disappeared, but we're not.

When we get reports like this - reports that are trying to say that our game is glitching in a way that caused item loss - we do a thorough investigation. We look through the logs very carefully to find out exactly what happened. This is because if there is an actual glitch we want to take care of it right away.

You know those dozen reports we've gotten this week? Guess how many were not a glitch at all, but actually someone dropping or trading or recycling their dragon hand?

Really... guess... I'll wait...

You are right! Every one of them turned out to be a lie. Because of this thorough investigation, we can easily see exactly where and when and to whom you dropped your dragon hand. There were no "glitches". Every time, the player who owned the dragon hand allowed it to get stolen or traded it away or recycled it and then - when they realized that they had made a mistake - they decided to report it as a flaw in the game.

Which is a HUGE waste of our time. Time we could have spent making awesome things for everyone to play with. So from now on anyone who tells us the game "magically" deleted their <insert expensive item here>, will be warned that we will investigate, but any evidence showing that they are lying to us (and know exactly how they lost their item) will result in their account being punished for wasting our time - usually with a ban of some kind.

Don't lie to the support desk. They hate that.

Banned

Question FAQ: Why was I banned/taped/cursed?

Most of the time people know EXACTLY why they were punished and are just hoping that if they complain enough, we'll set them free. Unfortunately for rule breakers in Growtopia, I used to be a 5th grade teacher , so I am immune to whining, and I have trained the support staff to be immune as well. Whining is more likely to get your punishment doubled than removed!

If you really don't know why you were punished, we are happy to look it up and tell you. Just create a support ticket asking why you were banned (be sure to include your in-game name). Here are some things to keep in mind when emailing:

* BEFORE you email, you should re-read the /rules and the /news. Often that will help you understand what you did wrong so you can avoid if for the future. We do not accept "I didn't know that was a rule" as an excuse.

* Do not bother asking about a punishment that was applied to someone else's account. It would be inappropriate for us to discuss another player with you, and we won't do it.

* If you challenge a punishment, we can and will search the logs for proof. There are some times when the log search has shown that a punishment was due to a misunderstanding. In that case, we will remove the punishment. HOWEVER, most of the time our mods were exactly right. If you ask us search the logs and we find proof that they were right, we WILL double your punishment.

* Just because something isn't specifically listed in the /rules as "not allowed" doesn't mean that it's OK to do it. If you are acting in a way that we think is detrimental to our community, we WILL remove you from the game. Be nice, and you have nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by ByteCode; 06-20-2019 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Updated!

Banned

Question FAQ: I tried to report a drop game and got cursed/banned!! NOT FAIR!

We don't WANT you to be a drop game reporter. We WANT you to stay away from drop games. Completely. Don't go near them for ANY reason and if you find one GET AWAY FAST! Here are some reasons you might get punished of you are reporting a drop game:

SPAMMING
    You are welcome to tell a /mod about a drop game once time. They are very busy and might not be able to get to it right away or even respond to you. If you insist on sending messages over and over they may decide to tape you because you are being more disruptive than helpful.

PARTICIPATING/OBSERVING
    If you are in a box or standing around watching when the mod gets there to deal with a drop game, you will probably end up cursed for 60 minutes. The ONLY reason drop games still exist is because people keep going to them. We do NOT want you there and we will give you a time out if you insist on being a part of the drop game culture.

BROADCASTING
    Any form of broadcasting is advertising for the drop game host. DO NOT BROADCAST ABOUT DROP GAMES. You WILL be banned just like the host.

There is no point in emailing to complain about these punishments. We have posted warnings all over the game and if you are STILL doing these things, you clearly aren't reading the rules. You will NOT be unbanned until your punishment expires.

Banned

Question FAQ: What will <EVENT> be like? How much will <ITEM> cost?

OMG, you have NO idea how many times people have emailed asking about Valentine's Day. We've been dealing with dozens of emails a day since last April! I have no idea why everyone is obsessed with Valentine's Day... it's not even a very good holiday in real life (Old Person advice : If you love someone, don't wait until Feb 14 to tell them!)! But, boy oh boy, is it popular in Growtopia!

No matter what holiday or item you are wondering about, the answer is going to be the same:

We aren't going to tell you anything about the holiday event or the items before the fact. You, like everyone else, will have to wait until the event happens to see what it will be like. Even the mods aren't told anything about the events ahead of time. That's just the way it is.

The One and Only Exception:

We have been telling people since about April of last year that we intend to bring Angel Wings back next Valentine's Day. They will be exactly the same as they are now. Use that information as you will.

We will not ever again share information about a future holiday, event, or item. So don't bother asking.

Banned

Question FAQ: I gave my password to a gem hack site and now I've been hacked!!! HELP!!

We get THOUSANDS of these emails every week. I'm afraid that you're not going to like my answer at all.

First of all... WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU TELL A HACKER YOUR PASSWORD?? If someone is telling you they are going to cheat for you, they have already proven to you that they are dishonest. If you tell a hacker your password you are going to get hacked.

Secondly... we have already banned the accounts that created these phishing sites. THAT'S WHY THEY WANT TO USE YOUR ACCOUNT. By sharing your password with hackers you are literally making it impossible for us to keep them out of the game.

Thirdly... I know you are telling us about it because you want us to ban the person who is hacking you. But since the ONLY accounts those guys have access to are YOUR ACCOUNTS, the only way for us to ban THEM is to ban YOU. (I know you also want your stolen stuff back, but that's not going to happen. We don't return items that are lost because you handed them over to the thief on a silver, password sized platter.)

Finally... there IS a solution that doesn't involve us banning your account. CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD AND STOP SHARING IT WITH HACKERS.

So it's your choice:
    A) We ban your account permanently so that the hacker can't use it.
    or
    B) You change your password and keep it secret, so hackers can't use your account.

Banned

Question FAQ: What happens if I own/talk about/use a password phishing site?

Password phishing sites are websites that try to trick you into giving away your password. They often claim the will give you free gems if you tell them your name and password or offer a downloadable program that will "hack" the game for you. In both cases, the owner of the phishing site gains access to your account and steals items from you.

We don't have a lot of sympathy for people who try to steal from us and end up getting scammed. After all... it was your own greed and poor ethics that led to the problem. We do NOT restore stolen items that are lost due to your password being stolen by a phishing site or download.

If you create a phishing site: YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE PERMANENTLY BANNED.
    If you advertise (posting on the forum, broadcasting in game, etc) a phishing site: YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE PERMANENTLY BANNED.
    If you log into someone else's account using a password you learned from a phishing site: YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE PERMANENTLY BANNED.
    If you talk about, joke about, brag about or otherwise suggest that you own or use a phishing site: YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE PERMANENTLY BANNED.

If you use a phishing site or program and your password gets hacked: YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE PERMANENTLY BANNED, as this is the only way to prevent the "hackers" from using your account to play our game.

99% of the "hackers" are already banned on their own accounts, which is why they need to steal YOUR password and use YOUR account. If you keep your password safe you are making sure you don't get scammed, AND you are making sure "hackers" can't get into the game through you.

- - -
    PLEASE NOTE: The "hackers" who run phishing sites aren't really HACKERS at all... they are just liars and thieves. They aren't HACKING the game... they are stealing passwords and logging in. This is NOT a problem with OUR security, it's a problem with YOUR security.

You can easily prevent your password from being stolen by doing the following:

* NEVER share your password with ANYONE
    * ALWAYS delete your password from any device you use when you log off
    * NEVER enter your password while someone is watching
    * ALWAYS change your password immediately if you have any reason to think it's been compromised
    * ALWAYS use a complicated combination of at least 7 letters and numbers as your password
    * NEVER use your name, your GrowID, or sequential numbers (ie: 12345) as your password
    * NEVER use an easily guessed, common word or popular meme (ie: password, lol, doge, nyan) as your password

Banned

Question FAQ: I saw a moderator breaking a rule!

We investigated every moderator very closely before offering them the position of moderator. We watch everything they do very closely (which is why some of them don't get to remain moderators for very long).

It is VERY unlikely that you actually saw a moderator breaking a rule. Often players misunderstand what they are seeing and assume they are seeing a mod doing something wrong.

However, if you are concerned about something you've seen, you are welcome to report it to Support@GrowtopiaGame.com. We investigate EVERY report we get about mod misbehavior.