Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trading game items for Art/Videos

Default Trading game items for Art/Videos

This has been posted before but we still get asked this at support quite often:

Q: Can I trade my artwork/videos for WL/DL?

A: No, you can’t. While not a serious as selling game items for cash it is still not allowed to trade in game items for anything outside the game. While it would be cool to allow players to trade videos and art for game items there are players that would use this as a cover for selling game items for cash, which is illegal in some countries, which is one of the main reasons it is illegal in Growtopia.
    Last edited by Misthios; 04-30-2019 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Made stance more clear after receiving questions.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Elbin View Post

A: While not a serious as selling game items for cash it is still not allowed to trade in game items for anything outside the game. While it would be cool to allow
    players to trade videos and art for game items there are players that would use this as a cover for selling game items for cash, which is illegal in some countries, which is one of the main reasons
    it is illegal in Growtopia.
    Seth said it doesn't result in ban.

Banned

What is the difference between selling art and buying world locks? How does one discern the difference? I mean, obviously if a forum post asks about it, it is most likely a legitimate intention, but here is what I am saying: there should be no gray area. When an intermediate criterion is proposed, people do tend to abuse it, and predictably, people will complain to support that they were "selling art" when they were wrong regardless. Of course, Elbin, you stated this; however, Seth claimed that he will not ban people from an instance he sees.

I am only saying this to clarify the nebulousness in the ruling, not exploit it.

Making a diglett army while doing black market meme trading overseas.

This needs to be sticky'd.
    http://growtopiaga.me.pn/tag.php?q=HippoHello

5/7/2016: the worst account hacking by far.
    4/2/2017: The peak of the moderator application scam technique. The forums was flooded that morning.
    5/28/2017: Whats with may and controversy? The beginning of the "growtopian economical crisis"
    6/1-4/2016: D-horn mass banning
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/succccccccc.jpg
    pic removed

I think the main message is that you shouldn't do it; but you won't be banned, because otherwise nobody would make Seth his fan art. It's encouraged that players simply make cool at because they'd like to, not because they are greedy. Find other ways to make WLs.

No Mods normally won't ban you the first time they catch you doing it, usually they will try to give you a warning.

But if you keep doing it then you could be banned.

thepigfarmer

Elbin, you should move the thread to Fan Creations and sticky it there since it's probably going to be more useful there than here.

No Mods normally won't ban you the first time they catch you doing it, usually they will try to give you a warning.

But if you keep doing it then you could be banned.
    This uncertainty is the big thing causing people to ask this question over and over again. Mods normally won't ban you. You could get banned.

People are unsure, because the sources are unsure. Even further, we have moderators and developers that contradict each other (see Seth's post). No wonder people are confused.

This is not to scold or patronize the ones in charge; it is very hard not to establish a grey area in situations like this. However, I think it should be good to create some form of an official ruleset, perhaps stickied in the Fan Creations subforum.
    Discord: RocketRace#0798.
    Youtube/Twitch/Reddit: RocketRace
    Check out QUICKEXP.

How if a player traded items to other player for nothing. We call it "illegal"?

Banned

In before it gets moved to Fan Creations lol.

This thread is confusing me even more because Seth said that it isn't illegal but Elbin said that it is. Might need an official stance from Seth himself about his post regarding this...

But then, honestly, we all can just make art contests and indirectly pay the winner, aka the picture we like the most. It's even better because the host gets multiple pictures instead of just one.
    IGN: ElectroDream
    Discord: Dreamy#2149
    IG: @dreamy.cy (private), @electrodreamy is dead
    WOTD count: 22
    Forumers' VIP pass: StarboardFTW.

I agree with others. This thread is really confusing me. Seth said it is allowed and you say it isn't allowed.
    Growtopia Forums Discord: http://discord.io/gtforums

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ElectroDream View Post
    This thread is confusing me even more because Seth said that it isn't illegal but Elbin said that it is. Might need an official stance from Seth himself about his post regarding this...

But then, honestly, we all can just make art contests and indirectly pay the winner, aka the picture we like the most. It's even better because the host gets multiple pictures instead of just one.
    Elbin it's like a semi- developer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Diaz View Post
    Elbin it's like a semi- developer.
    But Seth's more superior, isn't he?
    Hi i'm Romai Mori! You can call me Isami for short.
    IGN: Morianna

Skullgirls is Life.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Romai Mori View Post
    But Seth's more superior, isn't he?
    Ya, but Elbin is more superior than the normal mods.

Banned

I've been selling memes for wls for years now.. guess i had to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
    I've been selling memes for wls for years now.. guess i had to stop.
    who in their right midn would buy a meme for a world lock

Wink I Made this video Growtopia Calling 911!

A: While not a serious as selling game items for cash it is still not allowed to trade in game items for anything outside the game. While it would be cool to allow
    players to trade videos and art for game items there are players that would use this as a cover for selling game items for cash, which is illegal in some countries, which is one of the main reasons
    it is illegal in Growtopia.

Master Sorcerer retardedzlockgaming's Avatar
    Under your bed. I'm there, trust me. Also, stop dropping books down there, it hurts my head.

Art contests is kinda like purchasing art.

Somebody makes it to enter a contest, they win wls.
    So why is it that one way is allowed when the other is not? Same things take place, something is made and then the maker gets paid.
    Come to my candy van, don't be shy...

My Humongous World Showcase.

Quit in 2017, forums in 2018. Thanks for the memories!