Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Trading game items for Art/Videos

  1. #1
    Lesser Wizard Elbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    179

    Default Trading game items for Art/Videos

    This has been posted before but we still get asked this at support quite often:

    Q: Can I trade my artwork/videos for WL/DL?

    A: No, you can’t. While not a serious as selling game items for cash it is still not allowed to trade in game items for anything outside the game. While it would be cool to allow players to trade videos and art for game items there are players that would use this as a cover for selling game items for cash, which is illegal in some countries, which is one of the main reasons it is illegal in Growtopia.
    Last edited by Misthios; 04-30-2019 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Made stance more clear after receiving questions.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elbin View Post
    This has been posted before but we still get asked this at support quite often:

    Q: Can I trade my artwork/videos for WL/DL?

    A: While not a serious as selling game items for cash it is still not allowed to trade in game items for anything outside the game. While it would be cool to allow
    players to trade videos and art for game items there are players that would use this as a cover for selling game items for cash, which is illegal in some countries, which is one of the main reasons
    it is illegal in Growtopia.
    Seth said it doesn't result in ban.

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,789

    Default

    What is the difference between selling art and buying world locks? How does one discern the difference? I mean, obviously if a forum post asks about it, it is most likely a legitimate intention, but here is what I am saying: there should be no gray area. When an intermediate criterion is proposed, people do tend to abuse it, and predictably, people will complain to support that they were "selling art" when they were wrong regardless. Of course, Elbin, you stated this; however, Seth claimed that he will not ban people from an instance he sees.

    I am only saying this to clarify the nebulousness in the ruling, not exploit it.

  5. #5
    Master Sorcerer Hippohello2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Making a diglett army while doing black market meme trading overseas.
    Posts
    3,527

    Default

    This needs to be sticky'd.
    http://growtopiaga.me.pn/tag.php?q=HippoHello

    5/7/2016: the worst account hacking by far.
    4/2/2017: The peak of the moderator application scam technique. The forums was flooded that morning.
    5/28/2017: Whats with may and controversy? The beginning of the "growtopian economical crisis"
    6/1-4/2016: D-horn mass banning
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/succccccccc.jpg
    pic removed

  6. #6
    Master Sorcerer ID: BEASTLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,072

    Default

    I think the main message is that you shouldn't do it; but you won't be banned, because otherwise nobody would make Seth his fan art. It's encouraged that players simply make cool at because they'd like to, not because they are greedy. Find other ways to make WLs.

  7. #7
    Lesser Wizard Elbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    179

    Default

    No Mods normally won't ban you the first time they catch you doing it, usually they will try to give you a warning.

    But if you keep doing it then you could be banned.

  8. #8
    thepigfarmer
    Guest

    Default

    Elbin, you should move the thread to Fan Creations and sticky it there since it's probably going to be more useful there than here.

  9. #9
    Master Sorcerer Vege's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Osaka, Japan
    Posts
    3,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elbin View Post
    No Mods normally won't ban you the first time they catch you doing it, usually they will try to give you a warning.

    But if you keep doing it then you could be banned.
    This uncertainty is the big thing causing people to ask this question over and over again. Mods normally won't ban you. You could get banned.

    People are unsure, because the sources are unsure. Even further, we have moderators and developers that contradict each other (see Seth's post). No wonder people are confused.

    This is not to scold or patronize the ones in charge; it is very hard not to establish a grey area in situations like this. However, I think it should be good to create some form of an official ruleset, perhaps stickied in the Fan Creations subforum.
    Discord: RocketRace#0798.
    Youtube/Twitch/Reddit: RocketRace
    Check out QUICKEXP.

  10. #10
    Master Sorcerer Mouvre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    2,119

    Default

    How if a player traded items to other player for nothing. We call it "illegal"?

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The East Coast, USA
    Posts
    2,292

    Default

    In before it gets moved to Fan Creations lol.

  12. #12
    Master Sorcerer ElectroDream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    10,884

    Default

    This thread is confusing me even more because Seth said that it isn't illegal but Elbin said that it is. Might need an official stance from Seth himself about his post regarding this...

    But then, honestly, we all can just make art contests and indirectly pay the winner, aka the picture we like the most. It's even better because the host gets multiple pictures instead of just one.
    IGN: ElectroDream
    Discord: Dreamy#2149
    IG: @dreamy.cy (private), @electrodreamy is dead
    WOTD count: 22
    Forumers' VIP pass: StarboardFTW.

  13. #13
    Master Sorcerer Phemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    4,931

    Default

    I agree with others. This thread is really confusing me. Seth said it is allowed and you say it isn't allowed.
    Growtopia Forums Discord: http://discord.io/gtforums

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ElectroDream View Post
    This thread is confusing me even more because Seth said that it isn't illegal but Elbin said that it is. Might need an official stance from Seth himself about his post regarding this...

    But then, honestly, we all can just make art contests and indirectly pay the winner, aka the picture we like the most. It's even better because the host gets multiple pictures instead of just one.
    Elbin it's like a semi- developer.

  15. #15
    Master Sorcerer Romai Mori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    THERE’S A SNAKE IN MY BOOTS
    Posts
    1,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Diaz View Post
    Elbin it's like a semi- developer.
    But Seth's more superior, isn't he?
    Hi i'm Romai Mori! You can call me Isami for short.
    IGN: Morianna

    Skullgirls is Life.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Romai Mori View Post
    But Seth's more superior, isn't he?
    Ya, but Elbin is more superior than the normal mods.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    9GAG
    Posts
    1,362

    Default

    I've been selling memes for wls for years now.. guess i had to stop.

  18. #18
    Master Sorcerer HXZN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    lol
    Posts
    2,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
    I've been selling memes for wls for years now.. guess i had to stop.
    who in their right midn would buy a meme for a world lock

  19. #19

    Wink I Made this video Growtopia Calling 911!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elbin View Post
    This has been posted before but we still get asked this at support quite often:

    Q: Can I trade my artwork/videos for WL/DL?

    A: While not a serious as selling game items for cash it is still not allowed to trade in game items for anything outside the game. While it would be cool to allow
    players to trade videos and art for game items there are players that would use this as a cover for selling game items for cash, which is illegal in some countries, which is one of the main reasons
    it is illegal in Growtopia.

  20. #20
    Master Sorcerer retardedzlockgaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Under your bed. I'm there, trust me. Also, stop dropping books down there, it hurts my head.
    Posts
    1,273

    Default

    Art contests is kinda like purchasing art.

    Somebody makes it to enter a contest, they win wls.
    So why is it that one way is allowed when the other is not? Same things take place, something is made and then the maker gets paid.
    Come to my candy van, don't be shy...

    My Humongous World Showcase.

    Quit in 2017, forums in 2018. Thanks for the memories!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •