Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which path should I take?

Master Sorcerer

Default Which path should I take?

Well, I just had a long talk with my grandmother recently about what I wanted to do with my life since I'm about to move up in a month or two. To all those who don't know what "Moving up" means, it means I'll graduate Junior High (10th Grade) and move on to Senior High (Grades 11 &12). At senior high, I have to choose a track related to the course I want to take in college. Well, here's the thing. I'm sort of torn between two life choices that I can possibly take that will make a huge impact on my life.

One is, I'll be an accountant or a clerk in the future because I came from a family with successful engineers and accountants who do well financially. Obviously, I wanted to be successful and financially stable too in the future--Not to mention that this is the job that my grandma wants for me. Problem is, I don't see myself doing this sort of thing. I'm just not good at clerical stuff, unlike my mom and dad.

And, as you can see in one of my posts back then-- I wanted to be a graphic artist since doing digital art (or art in general) is sort of my passion since I was young, aside from teaching other people. Problem is, I'll probably get a job mismatch in the future since there isn't that much demand for graphic artists here in my country and there are stories that I see on the internet and I hear in real-life through my grandma that there are people who did get a mismatch or an unstable job as a graphic artist.

So now, I'm torn between two options and a life-changing decision that I have to make. Should I play it safe and take a clerical course, or follow my heart and choose to be a graphic artist?

Be a graphic artist so you can make things like this

Name:  IMG_1457.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  27.5 KB

I have a problem....
    https://media.giphy.com/media/qeJuRR0g7wLGE/giphy.gif
    "Hooray, I'm useful! I'm having a wonderful time!"

FULL CREDIT to hammerjelly for my profile picture. Hammerjelly is awesome!

You will decide your own future not your fathers, you will decide for what you like.
    Ign:Galuf
    Instagram: Polo_unu ( I draw )

Quality Waifu

This is also slowly becoming a problem for me too as I am also soon will have to choose my path. As from the many I've talked to, choose the one that will make you happy, enjoy learning it and most of all, have fun. This is the point in our lives where we get to choose what we learn and not just follow an academic track set by your school. We all wished we could learn this and learn that during those days but now once we have the freedom to choose, it suddenly becomes a burden.

Me, I would want to choose a lot, like you, choose the financially helpful one or the one you really love to do. To be honest, many who chooses the art way don't always get to show what they really learned and instead become an employe and not an artist.

For me, art is something natural in us, learning to do art is a bonus. So which way should you go? I would suggest the clerical course. We aren't born clerks, but we are born artists. Because if you become a fully time artist, your income may be unstable. But as a clerk, you at least can find a stable job and still have time to do art.

=Read my Forum Fanfics!=
    {Forum Fanfic: Reality Shift} CHAPTER 14 IS OUT!
    {Dangan Ronpa: Rtsoft Forums} CHAPTER 9 IS OUT!

#WeNeedMoreFanfics

I have feeling that graphic artist is not stable work. Not sure about it tho.
    hi im temmie!

My BFG world: WasabiGems

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS84 View Post
    Be a graphic artist so you can make things like this

Name:  IMG_1457.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  27.5 KB

I have a problem....
    I'll definitely do stuff like that when I have free time. Though I probably won't because I only have a few weeks worth of vacation (I move up at May and my first year of SHS in the school that I'll transfer to starts at June).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aunos View Post
    For me, art is something natural in us, learning to do art is a bonus. So which way should you go? I would suggest the clerical course. We aren't born clerks, but we are born artists. Because if you become a fully time artist, your income may be unstable. But as a clerk, you at least can find a stable job and still have time to do art.
    You got a point there. Maybe I'll just be a part-time artist in the future since I wanted to be as financially stable as I can possibly get.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pacame View Post
    You will decide your own future not your fathers, you will decide for what you like.
    Yep, but it's kinda hard if there are risks/consequences in store.

Im sorta in the same dilemma. Im about to end my 10th grade year and going to 11th. Im torn between Game design, website design or Automotive.
    IGN: ToolHead
    (Old usernames: unkn0wngun3r,automotive,victor3615)
    Discord: Guner#7751
    It seems like pain and regret are your best friends.

hoes mad

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by EpicKandy View Post
    I have feeling that graphic artist is not stable work. Not sure about it tho.
    Yep.I heard a lot of stories from my grandmother about CS, IT and art graduates getting job mismatches or an unstable job--and that made me quite scared which made me go through this dilemma right here.

Quote Originally Posted by jesspresso View Post
    I'll definitely do stuff like that when I have free time. Though I probably won't because I only have a few weeks worth of vacation (I move up at May and my first year of SHS in the school that I'll transfer to starts at June).

- - - Updated - - -

You got a point there. Maybe I'll just be a part-time artist in the future since I wanted to be as financially stable as I can possibly get.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, but it's kinda hard if there are risks/consequences in store.
    Graphic artist is a very unstable work due to are alot of people who study it, you can try studying other thing stable that you like, not need to be clerk if you dont like it and as other guy said, you can be a part time artist too
    Ign:Galuf
    Instagram: Polo_unu ( I draw )

Quality Waifu

I'm torn apart from choosing between STEM or ABM.
    Ended up choosing STEM.
    https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/Fishykek.gif
    Memento mori.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

Started playing Growtopia since 2013.
    Voted as the Best Writer for 2016 and 2017.
    Hosted the Forum Awards 2017.
    The leader of the Writers' Union.

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Mettaton View Post
    I'm torn apart from choosing between STEM or ABM.
    Ended up choosing STEM.
    Same here, 'cause TVL is not an option according to my grandmother. How's STEM though?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Star Wars View Post
    Im sorta in the same dilemma. Im about to end my 10th grade year and going to 11th. Im torn between Game design, website design or Automotive.
    Wow that's hard, considering that I'm having a hard time choosing between two courses and tracks related to them.

Website design is quite fun I'd say. I learned a bit of WebDev in 9th grade and I loved every single bit of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pacame View Post
    Graphic artist is a very unstable work due to are alot of people who study it, you can try studying other thing stable that you like, not need to be clerk if you dont like it and as other guy said, you can be a part time artist too
    Yep, I'm going to find other courses that I can possibly like, 'cause I'll fail Accountancy for sure--I'm awful at math.

I'll embark on STEM this June.
    I'll have my completion rites this April, too.
    Memento mori.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

Master Sorcerer

I'll embark on STEM this June.
    I'll have my completion rites this April, too.
    Wow, I can't believe that we graduate at the same year, though I'm going to graduate a little later than you. More time to think about my future, I guess.

Wow, I can't believe that we graduate at the same year, though I'm going to graduate a little later than you. More time to think about my future, I guess.
    Haha, indeed. However, the curse of not having a firm decision on which course I should take after SH is haunting me.
    Memento mori.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

Master Sorcerer

Haha, indeed. However, the curse of not having a firm decision on which course I should take after SH is haunting me.
    I'm scared of being haunted like that. xD

Taking STEM gives you a lot of things to choose from, despite GAS being the option for undecided students according to DepEd.

The choice is yours.

Do you want to take a risk and potentially get an unstable job but have fun, or do you want to be safe and potentially live unhappily?

It may seem as if I'm biased attempting to force you to lean one way, but that isn't the case. This is just how I see it.

Good luck.
    Previous MzPwnz
    I now go by Oshi/Oshí
    IGN:MzPwnz
    Discord: Ask it from me.

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by MzPwnz View Post
    The choice is yours.

Do you want to take a risk and potentially get an unstable job but have fun, or do you want to be safe and potentially live unhappily?

It may seem as if I'm biased attempting to force you to lean one way, but that isn't the case. This is just how I see it.

Good luck.
    Actually, that's how I see it too. I'm scared that if I followed my heart and failed, I can't ever go back. Same goes for being practical but feeling a bit empty deep inside.

Thanks, I need all the luck I can get at this point.

Actually, that's how I see it too. I'm scared that if I followed my heart and failed, I can't ever go back. Same goes for being practical but feeling a bit empty deep inside.

Thanks, I need all the luck I can get at this point.
    Then have them both.

Choose something that will secure you for a lifetime.
    Take what makes you happy as a sideline.

Goodluck!
    IGN: CandleJack

Alrighty.....
    It's not like I exactly have experience in this sort of stuff, but...

I personally think that you should go as the artist.

"Why? Why, you noob?" You may ask. But think of it this way. Would you rather be bored through life and possibly regret this decision, or have a job you enjoy? I don't know about you, but I would like a job I like.

However, as one of the others stated, because I'm too lazy to quote, is that art isn't something you really "learn." It is more natural! I'm still sticking with artist, but you should consider taking the boring job, because art is a talent.

Also, I find it better to discuss this with people who really know you. But I think I understand since your relatives are going to be biased towards something. People that actually know you are probably more likely to care then random people you don't really know.

So that's my take on this. I wish you favor on your life ahead!
    Discord: Saltimas#8154

This is a very nice signature.

Master Sorcerer

i don't have much knowledge but i feel like you should pursue the clerk/accountant path but keep graphic design on the side as a hobby and pursue it on the side in your free time. that way you can take the clerk/accountant path if it's hard to get a good graphic design job.
    IGN : Shethrion | Level : 69