Thread: Rate my art and give constructive criticism!

Default Rate my art and give constructive criticism!

I would like some constructive criticism to help my drawings actually win those art contests people keep doing. So, I am requesting you guys to rate my art out of 1-10 (10 is best), why you rated it what you did, and one thing you would change about my drawing.

**note: do not say I should add coloring.

Name:  IMG_0971.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  341.9 KB
    I draw bad arts and write stories.
    Pucca is my spirit animal

https://media.tenor.com/images/893c5...2908/tenor.gif

9/10, really good except for not having color

In a country where scammer is more hated than other country scammer.

9/10
    dat teeth
    Im FatFitFut In-game. Call me Fatty!
    Oh! My Alt In-game is FuseSoCool. I like to add anyone in there, welp if they are enjoyable enough in my definition of Enjoyable

Avatar is from Chuzzle deluxe texture, Raptisoft.

Achievement of the year (2017). Woohoo

Quote Originally Posted by xFloat View Post
    9/10, really good except for not having color
    I said I wouldn't be coloring it
    But still, many thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FatFitFut View Post
    9/10
    dat teeth
    Ah, well thank you anyway! I am not the best at mouths, so I'll try to work on that.

8/10

Drawing head only is abit easy (usually i was doin that too), maybe u can add half body, and more detailed face expression with some gesture, since imo, drawing head with smile expression is just too mainstream
    Grow ID: GaiaVR
    Level: 84/100
    "Yaranaika"

VISIT MY SSP SEED AND RSP BLOCK SHOP AT ASHOP

Master Sorcerer

First of all, I'd say that the head is too long. In the drawing, it shows that the person is facing you, but the shape of the head makes it seem like he's facing to the side completely. Your lines are quite messy (though mine are too) but it can be easily fixed with just erasing the ones that poke out. Also, the coloring on the hat seems unfinished. There are a lot of spots where the hat isn't even colored in, and there's a lot of splotches that don't seem blended in. I really love the facial expression, and I don't believe it's too mainstream at all. Another thing that I noticed was how he doesn't have any ears. Now, if you intended for him to not having ears, that's fine with me. Here's a red line to help you see what I'm talking about.
    Name:  image.png
Views: 150
Size:  266.8 KB

Plus, if you don't mind, I redid your drawing a little, but not too much.

Redone version

Original

Overall, it looks really nice! Keep practicing and improving and you'll eventually become a great artist in the future.

8/10

Way too unnatural... most people have bodies... jk... its good... I just dont like the lack of colour... makes it seem bland

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GaiaVR View Post
    8/10

Drawing head only is abit easy (usually i was doin that too), maybe u can add half body, and more detailed face expression with some gesture, since imo, drawing head with smile expression is just too mainstream
    This quote makes me want to draw everything BUT a head... to make something different... xD
    Ubisoft < UGTeam .

https://www.growtopiagame.com/forums...8&d=1511461367
    thanks for medal hammerjelly senpai

well... so do I... HOW DID I DO THIS?!

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by PerTehDoh View Post
    Way too unnatural... most people have bodies... jk... its good... I just dont like the lack of colour... makes it seem bland

- - - Updated - - -

This quote makes me want to draw everything BUT a head... to make something different... xD
    I disagree with all of your points. Too unnatural? No body? The person in the drawing DOES have a body, it's just a headshot drawing of him.

This piece was intended to be monochrome. Bland? Study some basics on color theory, it'll help.

Why draw anything but a head? I believe the most important part of drawing a person is the head. The face conveys emotions and changes the feeling of the entire piece.

I personally don't like the replies to this thread at all, but hey, all of you are fine to stick with your own opinion.

Sorry if I was too harsh, it's not like I dislike anyone here, it's just that reading some of these replies kinda puts a sour taste in my mouth.

4/10. Honestly. I'm not gonna lie. I don't wanna hurt your feelings though >_< So the reason why I choose 4 out of 10 is because the lines are not straight (unless it's suppose to be like sketches and I totally understand you) there is no ear? Some other person did point this out too. Growtopias do have ears, that's what I'm saying :P Hair is a bit more messier than the actual messy hair? Idk. The berret is pretty big and the scarf should have a little more folds, unless you don't want to. Maybe a neck? Sorry, I couldn't really see the picture while typing this so idk if I said anything right. Also you might need some work on the shading. I can see that you're going for the growtopian look so I guess most of the stuff I said you can take it out. I'll change this to a 6/10 since you're trying your best! Hopefully I didn't hurt your feelings T~T Great work though!

Quote Originally Posted by Hachii View Post
    4/10. Honestly. I'm not gonna lie. I don't wanna hurt your feelings though >_< So the reason why I choose 4 out of 10 is because the lines are not straight (unless it's suppose to be like sketches and I totally understand you) there is no ear? Some other person did point this out too. Growtopias do have ears, that's what I'm saying :P Hair is a bit more messier than the actual messy hair? Idk. The berret is pretty big and the scarf should have a little more folds, unless you don't want to. Maybe a neck? Sorry, I couldn't really see the picture while typing this so idk if I said anything right. Also you might need some work on the shading. I can see that you're going for the growtopian look so I guess most of the stuff I said you can take it out. I'll change this to a 6/10 since you're trying your best! Hopefully I didn't hurt your feelings T~T Great work though!
    This was supposed to be a quick sketch. I exaggerated the beret because it looked cool and it was a key feature on the character. I'm not trying to directly copy the Growtopia style here. I understand you are just giving constructive criticism, but...

Thanks anyway for telling me your opinion. My feelings aren't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittaries View Post
    I would like some constructive criticism to help my drawings actually win those art contests people keep doing. So, I am requesting you guys to rate my art out of 1-10 (10 is best), why you rated it what you did, and one thing you would change about my drawing.

**note: do not say I should add coloring.

Name:  IMG_0971.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  341.9 KB
    This reminds me of the good ol' black and white days.

Master Sorcerer

constructive criticism

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyjulie View Post
    First of all, I'd say that the head is too long. In the drawing, it shows that the person is facing you, but the shape of the head makes it seem like he's facing to the side completely. Your lines are quite messy (though mine are too) but it can be easily fixed with just erasing the ones that poke out. Also, the coloring on the hat seems unfinished. There are a lot of spots where the hat isn't even colored in, and there's a lot of splotches that don't seem blended in. I really love the facial expression, and I don't believe it's too mainstream at all. Another thing that I noticed was how he doesn't have any ears. Now, if you intended for him to not having ears, that's fine with me. Here's a red line to help you see what I'm talking about.

Redone version

Original

Overall, it looks really nice! Keep practicing and improving and you'll eventually become a great artist in the future.

8/10
    fat shaming, huh?
    IGN: SNOWYFOX

9/10 it has amazing character and looks great. It makes it seem like there is a whole story behind it. (Request: winking) i always and still think that b and w is the best. Color is just a different version of white and black. It says so much more and is much more dramtic. Can i pay for you to draw me? After my sets ready of course!
    IGN: Carsonplayz
    Level: 21
    --------Goals2k17-------
    Get a Dragon[0/1]
    Get 10 Mod sigs[0/10]
    Get a Ring [0/1]
    Collect a Wand[0/1]
    ---------------------------
    Favorite item:
    Phlogisten ('o-o)
    ----------------
    Message me for help!
    ---------------------------
    Is this a joke?
    Are you having-
    a chuckle? Well
    Haha... I'm the
    one with a degree.
    --------------------------

You just don't win art contests because there are people better than you. jk

just place some teeny bit of details in the hair and its good to go

well .....eventually.

The thing is, people tend to be giving good ratings when if it's just one you're asking to rate. But, it becomes harder if paired with another artist's art.

Imagine, artist A and artist B have a showdown to get a prize from host A, by majority vote. Artist A gets a lot of good ratings of his artwork individually, but if compared to Artist B's work, it's different. Eventually, Artist B gets the prize from Host A.

It's just an example, please don't have any hard feelings.

What I'm saying here, step up your game. Yes, you are a good artist, but there are more artists better than you (even me!) I could name some, but this will get too long. Try to portray your art in a way the people will get attracted to. Even if you don't want to, there is a big difference between grayscale, and full color. I'm not saying your art is bad, but you can be better than you are now. Just give people that audience impact and eye- catchiness. I don't know how you will do it, but you can. Before you make people believe in you, you must first believe in yourself. That is the #1 rule.

I'll give this a 7/10. It has potential, but hey, it's as decent as it looks. That expression is real good, to say the least!

I'll be rooting for you in the other side.
    IGN: ZxeroxGT

I am a artist. Check my works out at my IG, @zyde.kun.

Check out my Webtoon, Masqueraded.

Somewhat decent song:

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyjulie View Post

Redone version

Original

8/10
    I dissagree with that picture maybe shes going with one of these two on the top like i would see growtopians as 3D
    But youre saying to draw them like that bottom picture or atleast thats what i thought
Views: 86
Size:  433.2 KB

But if i had to say something to improve i think your style fits the original and its very good
    But i would contenue that drawing by
    Drawing on a new layer and clearing up those lines to make them smoother
    But if you like that style better either way fits well

Ps. No coloring needed

(Discord: LadyCyborg#7485)
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreX View Post
    Thank you Sherlock, Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by ZxeroxGT View Post
    You just don't win art contests because there are people better than you. jk

just place some teeny bit of details in the hair and its good to go

well .....eventually.

The thing is, people tend to be giving good ratings when if it's just one you're asking to rate. But, it becomes harder if paired with another artist's art.

Imagine, artist A and artist B have a showdown to get a prize from host A, by majority vote. Artist A gets a lot of good ratings of his artwork individually, but if compared to Artist B's work, it's different. Eventually, Artist B gets the prize from Host A.

It's just an example, please don't have any hard feelings.

What I'm saying here, step up your game. Yes, you are a good artist, but there are more artists better than you (even me!) I could name some, but this will get too long. Try to portray your art in a way the people will get attracted to. Even if you don't want to, there is a big difference between grayscale, and full color. I'm not saying your art is bad, but you can be better than you are now. Just give people that audience impact and eye- catchiness. I don't know how you will do it, but you can. Before you make people believe in you, you must first believe in yourself. That is the #1 rule.

I'll give this a 7/10. It has potential, but hey, it's as decent as it looks. That expression is real good, to say the least!

I'll be rooting for you in the other side.
    Thank you. I guess that my arts don't really appeal to crowds as much as they can. I tend to avoid drawing in certain styles (cool style for an example) and that can be a real deal breaker for some contests. I have a long way to go before I want to be anywhere near as good as some other artists. But your post really inspired me. Thank you!

Also.. thank you to everyone that replied. Your replies really mean a lot and I think they will all help me to become an overall better artist.

The only 2 things I can really say to improve this a bit more is to add more shading and to clean up the lines (unless you are going for a sketchy looking style). Other than that, it's great.