Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah man

6 35.29%
  • Nah my dude

11 64.71%

Thread: About the CNY Competition

Default About the CNY Competition

I'm not focusing on my world in this thread because I understand why I lost - surely it was because I didn't have enough CNY information, I used original pixel arts and a never before seen mechanic. But let's not get salty.

Feedback
    I'm quite sure you, Ubisoft (Abu Dhabi) made the competition in the hopes that players let loose their freedom and make amazing worlds, right? I didn't really feel like that when I read the 'Bonus Points/ Negative Points' list.

TOURNAMENTS would've sounded best without music. But due to the point, I felt forced to add music to help its chances. I could not bear the guilt of copying a song from like SONGTOPIA or something so I composed my own, very low quality, piece. If you guys checked my world, it'd have been blatant that it ruined the mood. But I did it because I was forced to. I understand I didn't have to, but if you guys were marking it like a +5 points thing., most points win, I wouldn't have any choice, would I?

The only thing I absolutely refused to do was the admins thing. Let's put it like this-
    You create a beautiful world, made with lovely blocks and immaculate design. Oh, and also, access 19 people so you get an advantage! Doesn't this sound, well, silly? I was told I lost because one of my admins didn't relog (and so his hat didn't show) but disregarding that, I didn't get points because I didn't trust people. That doesn't sound right for a world building competition, right? The 'make a dragon with admins' thing was festive enough, and that too was like nothing related to the world itself. Was this a world building competition or a 'sEE how many people you trust' competition?

The Winners
    No, I won't 'attack' others because I didn't win. There was an Instagram page called @growtopiacny that had 'exposed' the entrees on pixel arts they are copying from our beloved Google.

You saw this and probably thought it was amazing and original, right? I did too and so did tons of others. FESTIVALOFSPRING won.

Now, I didn't expect you guys to search the internet far and wide for pixel art copyists, but here's what I suggest -
    Set the deadline 3~ days before you announce winners. This is good enough time for people to find plagiarists.

Another example-
    Again tanks to growtopiacny

PLEASE make it clear if you're accepting copied pixel arts - it will DRASTICALLY improve your submissions if there is no conflict amongst submissions. I think copying pixel arts is the easiest thing you can do. Even if your pixel art is like decent, if it's not copied it shows you actually put effort into your world.

TL'DR
    Please clarify if you're accepting copied pixel arts
    Please, instead of making it 'bonus points' make it 'recommendations' to add less stress / pressure
    Please don't add silly requirements like wear a dragon set because those things go terrible.
    And could we know who picked the worlds? I'd just like to ask for constructive criticism so I know how to get a better shot at (finally) winning a building competition.

Thanks.
    IGN:Spherical
    Level:52

Want to see some Event related Goals and Daily Quests?
    Click here!
    https://piskel-imgstore-b.appspot.co...adee4edd6c.gif

Yeah I want some clarification as well. Putting requirements limits creativity and it is of course pretty hard to make a full world that doesn't rely on pixel art in a week. Some worlds are better without meeting the requirements, but it they didn't, they can't win. You guys (Ubisoft) also did talk about checking for copied pixel arts. Doesn't seem like you did. There's something called search by image on Google.

The limitations restrict on people's creativity
    IGN: Demondoom
    Level: 65
    #FishTrainingJustice

Ubisoft, 3 of the worlds are extreemly bad. I'm dissapointed that they have less effort, almost no effort and so empty and the other worlds showed great effort and creativity and exc. The fact that some of these are also copied makes me more annoyed. Here's an example
    Name:  newyeardog.png
Views: 267
Size:  212.1 KB
    Look at it, most of the world is empty or covered with pixel arts. The insides of the dragon aren't even filled!
    The other 2 are somewhat better but still, copied pixel art and just plain empty.
    The bottom is mine and I know I'm being a little over confident but I'm pretty sure I put more effort than that. I'm being really salty but still if you compare them, I tired a lot more than that...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

To add my salt:
    The time we had to build those worlds was way too short.
    I dedicated literally my entire freetime of the last week, but had to rush the parkour/ "overworld" after finishing the initially thought to be first of two pixelarts, resulting in the render looking empty (which is like the thing you rate the most).
    It's kind of obvious that many entrees are google "cny pixelart" copies, because that's the only worlds you could do in that time I am not even blaming them, they did the smart thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLixx View Post
    To add my salt:
    The time we had to build those worlds was way too short.
    I dedicated literally my entire freetime of the last week, but had to rush the parkour/ "overworld" after finishing the initially thought to be first of two pixelarts, resulting in the render looking empty (which is like the thing you rate the most).
    It's kind of obvious that many entrees are google "cny pixelart" copies, because that's the only worlds you could do in that time I am not even blaming them, they did the smart thing.
    They're not smart, they're just lazy. There's no effort put into copied pixel arts. It's just people being lazy and for some reason most of them win because of this. I think it's disappointing because I accept it should be based on the content of the world and if they do pixel art, it should be original. This is just sad.

Master Sorcerer

Agreed and (kinda) disappointed too. In the contest description they said they wouldn't consider pixel art only worlds, which is ironic considering some winners have 90% pixel art and 10% substance. Sad that some winners just used huge pixel art to fill the space, while other contestants have more than just looks in their worlds.
    IGN : Shethrion | Level : 69

At least ik how to win something next time with only 50-100 wls, just hop on the internet!
    IGN:TheNoobyGod
    Play Fortnite nowadays, slowly going back to GT
    http://www.dragonflycave.com/wpay/tyranitar.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Hamumu View Post
    Wings are things that go flap flap flap. You see them on birds quite commonly, sometimes as many as 2 per bird!

I’m not going against you because you used my world as an example but I agree with you to an extent. Ubisoft shouldn’t judge worlds based off of oh it looks pretty. But how are we to know that’s how they judged it? Sure the pixel arts give a more pop to the world of “hey look at my world.” There were worlds that were pretty enjoyable which won, not because of the art but of the contents of the world.

There’s also a lot of salty people who submitted worlds but also had copied pixel arts, pretty ironic huh. There are a lot of other contributing factors, it’s not all just the pixel arts.

I enjoyed our chat in game though.
    GrowID: DCED
    Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by NekoRei View Post
    Heya! I guess it just depends on who received your ticket.
    Some people behind support are better or lazier than others, confirmed by NekoRei. That’s not a good support imo
    Quote Originally Posted by NekoRei View Post
    It's okay to be thicc tbh.

Harvest dragon wins CNY competition? WTH? Think atleast the dragon should follow the theme of the event. Must be drunk when judging.

Started game June 2013 and Forums August 2013
    Old IGN and forum name Ngreenwood74
    Created NASDAQ with my good friend Queenburt
    IGN: Gooseneck Level: 100
    Hours Played: 10,000
    Punched:25.5 million times!
    Guild: Slaves

Squire

SO MUCH SALT! Y'all can't just be happy for them?
    Bless me RNGesus!

Default CNY competition is trash

i won the competition but then i didnt got the prize and then i got banned for 2yrs/suspended so funny right ?
    When the time the I become rich I will give some needy growtopia a good gift

Quote Originally Posted by ItsPrayz View Post
    NO! There are tons of people that actually put effort into their worlds and lots of world locks and content. Some of these are complete trash which they just copied online, didn't even try to fill the space up, and some of them even did the pixel art wrong which is just disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsPrayz View Post
    Imagine i told you to got build a house. And i had to too. Best house wins some cash.

You copy a house off the internet

I made it make it myself.

Who do you think should win? Me or you?

If its you. Then thats no fair since i tried and made something orginal. You didnt and copied something with no effort

Ubisoft shouldn’t host such competitions if they hold little knowledge on Chinese New Year itself.
    ~GiDLE

Indeed, my IGN is GiDLE but I Stan Joy

honestly i dont think they even play the worlds lol probably use one of their superpowers to get view of whole world in game and be like ok it looks kewl guess we should give this guy a pair.. 9 more pairs lets see who we should give it to....
    IGN: Ariana (aariana_gt on instagram!)
    Level: 125

Cba to pm mods so bump
    IGN:Spherical
    Level:52

Want to see some Event related Goals and Daily Quests?
    Click here!
    https://piskel-imgstore-b.appspot.co...adee4edd6c.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Fallony View Post
    Ubisoft shouldn’t host such competitions if they hold little knowledge on Chinese New Year itself.
    I agree. Seriously, fortune cookies? Those things originated from AMERICA, not China! Heck, not even a mention of red envelopes, when those things are a pretty big part of CNY!
    IGN: MadameZ