Thread: Forum Security Incident

Exclamation Forum Security Incident

Hello Growtopians,

I am Ezzerio. I manage the operations for Growtopia from the shadows and have worked from the beginning alongside ExeCutie and the community team.

I am introducing myself at a tough time, coinciding with a data breach on our forum. Yesterday afternoon there was a malicious attack on the forum, where someone was able to gain access and upload scripts that may have potentially exposed your forum account data (including username, email address, IP addresses, date of birth and hashed passwords). Since the beginning of the year, we’ve taken steps to separate the forum servers from the game servers, as a result your in-game data and information was not at risk.

We were able to move quickly to address this, however as a precaution we will now be resetting passwords for all accounts on the forum and we strongly advise if you have the same email address on the forum and in-game that you change this password as well. Though all passwords were stored in an encrypted format, it is a good idea to update your in-game password on a regular basis as a preventive measure, and you should never use the same password across multiple accounts or services. We also wanted to note that on the forum servers we do not store any financial information, meaning any payment information you may have used is secure.

Forum admin access is restricted to Ubisoft Employees, so this shouldn’t have happened. However, there was an issue with our server provider that resulted in a security breach. As a result, we are taking the necessary steps to ensure the security of the forums in the long term, and we will keep you up to date on this here, as well as providing additional follow up.

I cannot stress how sorry we are this happened. We are doing our best to make Growtopia as safe as possible. It is disheartening to see these malicious attempts to access to players’ data, but that is no excuse – your privacy and security is our responsibility and we take it very seriously.

As a token of compensation, we’ll be organizing an Apology Event later this month that will include:
    - Increased chances of getting gems and seeds (update 7/10/18: seeds will not be included) while smashing blocks;
    - IAPs will give 25% more gems.

Thank you for sticking with us.
    -Ezzerio.
    Last edited by Ezzerio; 07-10-2018 at 09:32 AM.