Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [CW] New Scam with Chameleon

Exclamation [CW] New Scam with Chameleon

CW = Community Warning.
    So I was just roaming around Growtopia, when I clicked on this random world in the enter screen.
    When I joined, the owner traded the world to someone for 23 dls.
    After the trade, the buyer realized he was scammed and begged for his dls back, and of course, the seller left.
    I decided to investigate and here's what I've found.

This was how the world was set up, just a bunch of boxes and ONE magplant placed, the owner made it look like a BFG world (i think?)
    And now, here's how the scam works.

Name:  cham.PNG
Views: 708
Size:  160.4 KB
    The owner's alt stands on this block, wearing a chameleon + no face, therefore morphing him into the magplant.
    Now you might ask, won't the buyer see the nametag?

Name:  cham2.PNG
Views: 681
Size:  161.3 KB
    The owner had a bunch of random people in here, pretending to just be chilling. No one was on top of the chameleon player, or it will give it away.
    The random people standing here has a bunch of nametags, and they block the name tag of the player with the chameleon.
    The owner then proceeds the sell the world as if it had 2 magplants.

Name:  cham3.PNG
Views: 677
Size:  161.9 KB
    The people in the picture are not scammers, but the victim and bystanders only.
    And yea, this was just a community warning so you guys stay protected from this scam or warn others about it.

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by COSUM View Post
    CW = Community Warning.
    So I was just roaming around Growtopia, when I clicked on this random world in the enter screen.
    After the trade, the buyer said "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I GOT SCAMMED" and seller left.

This was how the world was set up (before the shady part), the ex-owner made it look like a BFG world (sorta)

The owner's alt stands on this block, wearing a chameleon + no face, therefore morphing him into the magplant.

The owner had a bunch of random people stand here. No one was on top of the chameleon player, or it will give it away.
    The random people standing here has a bunch of nametags, and they block the name tag of the player with the chameleon.

I managed to get the scammer's name down as well. His name is -Deleted-, beware of that name.
    I saw him pay every one of the "random players" in that box 20 wls after the scam was completed.
    And yea, this was just a community warning so you guys stay protected from this scam or warn others about it.
    Great, now the developers are going to have to remove the noface/chameleon combination. Scammers ruin it for everyone again lol.

Master Sorcerer

I was just there when the person who got scammed superbroadcasted. Dang the scammers were pretty smart for creating this. Hopefully more people are aware.
    Always Remember Hardwork Pays Off
    Knowledge Is Power 9.24

CW = Community Warning.
    After the trade, the buyer realized he was scammed and begged for his dls back, and of course, the seller left.

This was how the world was set up, just a bunch of boxes and ONE magplant placed, the owner made it look like a BFG world (i think?)

The owner had a bunch of random people in here, pretending to just be chilling. No one was on top of the chameleon player, or it will give it away.

I managed to get the scammer's name down as well. His name is -Deleted-, beware of that name.
    I saw him pay every one of the "random players" in that box 20 wls after the scam was completed.
    Thanks for the warning! Scammers are just ughh... Without them, the GT community would be so much better. It seems that everytime there's a new update, a new type of scam is created

That has to be one of the stupidest scam that ever exist, if you fall for it regardless of the countless odd things in the world you're really gullible and plain dumb

I usually blame the items for bringing in scams but this is so stupid that it's just the player's fault
    A recipe finder. A GT Wikia Admin. Playing since Feb 2013.
    Level: 123. Title/Dragon/Dragon Wings/Epic done, sponsor pending.
    IGN: TK69

Banned

i dont understand how they got rid of the name tag how do u do that

Lesser Wizard

Do not push the blame to the items for the player carelessness. It was never the items fault that one gets scam. Why didnt he insist on trading the magplant via trade?
    IGN: Hypeer
    Level:125 Finally
    Worlds: FUND

Discord: Hypeer@1851

Goals:
    All Rings(4/9)

Follow me on Insta: hypeergt

Confused about the bolded statement.

But I guess I get the gist of this scam; people pretending to be magplants to sell the world for more than what its worth. Correct me if I'm wrong since I haven't seen the chameleon in person, but isn't it possible to punch the person so it moves, thus disabling the chameleon's mod? I'm still trying to figure out how sneaky this whole scam is because so far, I think it's pretty dumb if I'm assuming everything correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mcdonalds97388 View Post
    i dont understand how they got rid of the name tag how do u do that
    They didn't, they just created a crowd so this nametag can blend in. I thiiiink.
    IGN: ElectroDream
    Discord: Dreamy#2149
    IG: @dreamy.cy (private), @electrodreamy is dead
    WOTD count: 22
    Forumers' VIP pass: StarboardFTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypeer View Post
    Do not push the blame to the items for the player carelessness. It was never the items fault that one gets scam. Why didnt he insist on trading the magplant via trade?
    Yea, that's true! If something is suspicious or too good to be true, just don't do it. The player can take it as a lesson learnt
    ~PurinKitty2

Learning.

Level 68
    Main worlds: TYXJ & 2CD8 & IDKU

Maybe they should add a feature where when the player shapeshifts into a block, that shapeshifted block pulses a rainbow glow once in a while, and this pulse can't be overlapped by players, eggs, tomatoes, consumables, so players won't be easily fooled.

Banned

Hey,
    Thank you for the warning, will keep the thread open and would encourage players to spread awareness for such scams.
    As for the player, he and everyone involved in this scam are now banned. So fair warning to anyone else thinking of trying this scam on others.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Also isn't the op can be considered singling out as he mentions a name?
    The name has been already removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaurkal View Post
    Hey,
    Thank you for the warning, will keep the thread open and would encourage players to spread awareness for such scams.
    As for the player, he and everyone involved in this scam are now banned. So fair warning to anyone else thinking of trying this scam on others.
    Also isn't the op can be considered singling out as he mentions a name?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oma357 View Post
    I am an anime trap

-Oma357

Quote Originally Posted by Snappington View Post
    Maybe they should add a feature where when the player shapeshifts into a block, that shapeshifted block pulses a rainbow glow once in a while, and this pulse can't be overlapped by players, eggs, tomatoes, consumables, so players won't be easily fooled.
    Yes. The Dimension Block has a similar effect, there is no reason to remove the ability of such a cool item just because of some scammers. The rainbow pulse should be noticeable but not so obnoxious that is makes wearing the chameleon annoying.
    IGN: ShrimpBait

Surgery in Growtopia

"Domestic Techie"

Now you should use consumables on any expensive items, sold along with worlds.
    Started from the bottom, now I dug even deeper!

My latest video: A surreal GT video

The perfect game dosen't exi...
    https://i.imgur.com/zIZ2Suw.png

The person should have read the warning that says nobody should buy a world for the items in the world

Community Warning Please Do Not Partake In Drop Games Did I Do It Right
    Tracer

Banned

whos deleted

couldn't you notice the IGN?
    IGN : Liquify

To be talkin' to you,belladonna

Quote Originally Posted by KnightXS View Post
    couldn't you notice the IGN?
    if you stand in the very edge of the world, your name tag will be shifted to fit into the screen.
    His name was most likely over those couches where there was a bunch of people sitting
    Name:  1541954941907.png
Views: 405
Size:  23.7 KB

I thought this was a drop game or something..and I was like..why would they use one of the oldest trick in book..and i read..got confused..but will learn from this

Thanks for posting this!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lollipopper View Post
    if you stand in the very edge of the world, your name tag will be shifted to fit into the screen.
    His name was most likely over those couches where there was a bunch of people sitting
    Name:  1541954941907.png
Views: 405
Size:  23.7 KB
    But as compared to the picture provided..they would need to sit closer to the mag plant in order to blend in as the first letter of the name would only move 1 block away from the user..in the picture provided, the scammers where sitting around 2 blocks away