Thread: How about a Private Beta Testing team?

Default How about a Private Beta Testing team?

Yeah, we all know how the latest issue came to be. One person was playing around with a Techno-Organic Engine and found an exploit where they can dupe items.

Well, this could have been avoided if there were more beta testers actively trying to find bugs like these. They can test features and give feedback *from the average player's perspective* before the updates get rolled out, so that there would be (hopefully) higher quality updates. Private Beta Testers would be sworn to secrecy and not revealed to the public. Any revelation from the Beta Servers would cause removal from the team and/or a ban from the actual game. Same goes for locking the BUY+ worlds (but I did imply this in the "revelation" bit).

There are some other examples of issues that should have been caught on before items were released. For example, there are currently some blocks present that have no practical building uses. The Tiled Hospital Wall is the biggest offender of that; try connecting them. The pattern is lopsided and unrealistic, and it's more or less a sprite that only works by itself. Some other castle blocks, such as the Castle Turret and the Royal Carpet, do not connect with actual Castle Blocks, despite being designed to connect with them. Other clothing items, such as the Snowflake Eyes with Ice Queen Makeup are layered improperly. If you notice, the item mentioned just before is on the top layer of clothing, even covering hair! If you ask me, makeup does *not* work like that! All of these issues/inconveniences would be caught on and adjusted if there was a private beta team actively testing these items.
    Why not /beta?
    Simple. BUY+ world lockers. Making information about the new updates known to the player base will ruin the surprise for everybody, and will also spark some profiteering behavior among the players. Having a private team consisting of actual players would be a nice middle ground between /beta and only ubisoft.

It's not like something like this hasn't been done before. We have Forums Guardians and Moderators in game. Why not add Private Beta Testers to catch game breaking exploits like the latest one, along with improving the quality of updates?
    Last edited by MadameZ; 01-21-2019 at 10:16 PM.
    IGN: MadameZ

Agree, besides there’s no down sides. Less bugs/ Dupont’s and other major problems in main server is less work for Ubisoft and fixes to sprites and other simple things will jut make gt generally better.

Question is. Who. Will it be like our forum mods we got chosen out of the blue, or will there be a limit (Ex. Time played, date, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Spyroboy View Post
    Question is. Who. Will it be like our forum mods we got chosen out of the blue, or will there be a limit (Ex. Time played, date, etc.)
    I'd say that it should lean more towards forums mods. People just have to prove themselves trustworthy and have basic knowledge of the game; you don't exactly need thousands of hours played to put on items and build blocks, nor do you need to be a high level to know how to mess with features.

This will sadly be ignored.

I like the idea of a handful of people actively trying to search for bugs with new items in a private server. However, what would happen with the item names that get released within the server? This will cause lots of problems as the testers may use the item to lock rare worlds which relate to the item. Which of course, can only be prevented if the name and item description was blocked but It's just a thought that came in mind. Other than that, It's a good idea if Ubisoft implements it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Whenman View Post
    I like the idea of a handful of people actively trying to search for bugs with new items in a private server. However, what would happen with the item names that get released within the server? This will cause lots of problems as the testers may use the item to lock rare worlds which relate to the item. Which of course, can only be prevented if the name and item description was blocked but It's just a thought that came in mind.
    I addressed this. If they lock those rare worlds, they'll get punished. Leaking in any way would be punishable.
    Besides, there's a reason why the people are private and selected by hand.

This is just an idea tho.

Banned

yes this was suggested by me privately months ago and declined

There is a solution, they can just use a placeholder name for the unreleased items
    IGN: Deftera
    Just a Touhou fan and weeb
    Latest Youtube Video:

Quote Originally Posted by Kranken View Post
    Thank you for pointing it out. I am sure Nintendo regularly checks the Growtopia forums for such suggestions!

Bumping Up

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZebra94 View Post
    Yeah, we all know how the latest issue came to be. One person was playing around with a Techno-Organic Engine and found an exploit where they can dupe items.

Well, this could have been avoided if there were more beta testers actively trying to find bugs like these. They can test features and give feedback *from the average player's perspective* before the updates get rolled out, so that there would be (hopefully) higher quality updates. Private Beta Testers would be sworn to secrecy and not revealed to the public. Any revelation from the Beta Servers would cause removal from the team and/or a ban from the actual game. Same goes for locking the BUY+ worlds (but I did imply this in the "revelation" bit).

There are some other examples of issues that should have been caught on before items were released. For example, there are currently some blocks present that have no practical building uses. The Tiled Hospital Wall is the biggest offender of that; try connecting them. The pattern is lopsided and unrealistic, and it's more or less a sprite that only works by itself. Some other castle blocks, such as the Castle Turret and the Royal Carpet, do not connect with actual Castle Blocks, despite being designed to connect with them. Other clothing items, such as the Snowflake Eyes with Ice Queen Makeup are layered improperly. If you notice, the item mentioned just before is on the top layer of clothing, even covering hair! If you ask me, makeup does *not* work like that! All of these issues/inconveniences would be caught on and adjusted if there was a private beta team actively testing these items.
    Why not /beta?
    Simple. BUY+ world lockers. Making information about the new updates known to the player base will ruin the surprise for everybody, and will also spark some profiteering behavior among the players. Having a private team consisting of actual players would be a nice middle ground between /beta and only ubisoft.

It's not like something like this hasn't been done before. We have Forums Guardians and Moderators in game. Why not add Private Beta Testers to catch game breaking exploits like the latest one, along with improving the quality of updates?
    Sounds so good!
    Lul

The idea is theory is good, but has too many flaws as they have always released the Beta Server with set changes and additional items to freely be open to the entire public. if they were to choose only a select number of people to be applicable to the server, then a large portion of the community would feel left out and complain. Another problem relates to the people who would be chosen, sure enough even if you know how they act on the surface, you still don't know how they act inside the surface, in contrast you may know them on a professional level, but not on a private level.

In the end, only limiting the amount of people who can go in the Beta Server, as well as keeping in privately with only a select few people will only put the Devs on the spot for making such a rash decision like that. If a decision like this comes to pass, it would immediately be taken down at a moments notice due to conflicting reasons from the entire community.
    IGN: Lekard
    Level: 102

http://badges.steamprofile.com/profi...8275627733.png

Title is supposed to be "Stereo Future", but the uploader made a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by iDruid View Post
    The idea is theory is good, but has too many flaws as they have always released the Beta Server with set changes and additional items to freely be open to the entire public. if they were to choose only a select number of people to be applicable to the server, then a large portion of the community would feel left out and complain. Another problem relates to the people who would be chosen, sure enough even if you know how they act on the surface, you still don't know how they act inside the surface, in contrast you may know them on a professional level, but not on a private level.

In the end, only limiting the amount of people who can go in the Beta Server, as well as keeping in privately with only a select few people will only put the Devs on the spot for making such a rash decision like that. If a decision like this comes to pass, it would immediately be taken down at a moments notice due to conflicting reasons from the entire community.
    Well we had the mod thing and no one complained so

Quote Originally Posted by iDruid View Post

You bring up very fair arguments. I completely agree on your point about the people chosen, as the idea is quite theoretical, assuming that there are a group of perfectly good people in the community that would follow Ubisoft's lead without any question. The reality is, people are not little balls of sunshine, and finding enough people to trust would end up being a lot of management and trouble on Ubisoft's end.

I have to disagree with your point about complaining players. Yes, people *will* complain. It's inevitable. However, this game is not a stranger to situations like these. The entire moderation team, prior to Ubisoft's hold of the game, were filled with a select few players. Additionally, the Forums Guardians, which were added a few months ago, were consisting of a select few players. While the idea with the moderation team is not too rash given the context of the implementation of it, the Forums Guardian system, I would argue, is quite rash. I'm sure a large portion of the community would feel very left out on the privilege to moderate! In my opinion, Beta Testing is a privilege, not a right. It's perfectly fine that a large portion of a community feels left out of a private team meant for a select few people who have shown that they are trustworthy, and that they can gain access to new features early for the sake of bug testing and polishing features.

What you should keep in mind is that many other games have a private beta server for a select few people who are part of a beta team. True, they may open beta to the public every now and then for the public's opinion on features, but Growtopia is a game that calls for secrecy of the newer updates, given the behavior of people using the information to profit. Additionally, it's not like private beta hasn't been done before. When Seth and Hamumu had the game, they allowed their moderation team to access the beta servers to test new features at certain times. It's not like a private beta team has to be broadcasted to the public; it can be kept completely silent. I simply wish that there is a group of people to help polish the updates, as I have noticed that many of the recent features lack polishing and proper implementation (as stated in the OP).

Anyway, these are just my two cents. Feel free to agree or disagree, or to comment!

Or they can just open normal beta and change the item name.
    You can make everything
    Just believe...

Please support Growtopia News website

Quote Originally Posted by GQLDEN View Post
    Or they can just open normal beta and change the item name.
    I don’t think you understand what the average person does in beta