Thread: Ubisoft doesn't know how their own game code works

Default Ubisoft doesn't know how their own game code works

Since Ubisoft took over there have been many more bugs/exploits, dublicates etc. When they bought the game Seth said they needed to learn how the engine he and Hamumu built works first, in order to work on the game. To me it seems like they still don't fully understand how the engine etc works which is why there are so many bugs and exploits. You should ask the old devs for advice but since that's probably not an option you should really learn how the game engine ect works.
    Just my 2 cents
    Wassup

You should apply for GT developers' team
    IGN: Imunity

Quote Originally Posted by Epikur View Post
    Since Ubisoft took over there have been many more bugs/exploits, dublicates etc. When they bought the game Seth said they needed to learn how the engine he and Hamumu built works first, in order to work on the game. To me it seems like they still don't fully understand how the engine etc works which is why there are so many bugs and exploits. You should ask the old devs for advice but since that's probably not an option you should really learn how the game engine ect works.
    Just my 2 cents
    Why dont you buy GT and manage it yourself?
    I quitted
    REEEEEE

In my opinion the game is seriously being held back by how dated the engine and client are.
    If Ubisoft rewrote the code for the game or released "Growtopia 2" they would be able to make better updates much more easily.
    Even rewriting a small part of the game, such as the menu GUI (Which has a number of issues, for example, there are no radio buttons or dropdown menus) could greatly increase potential for future updates.
    IGN: ShrimpBait

Surgery in Growtopia

"Domestic Techie"

It’s not uncommon for exploits to happen. Even Apple has exploits every update they released.

Somewhat true, but they're learning at least. Seth and Hamumu were possibly a little unconventional with their code.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryfan View Post
    In my opinion the game is seriously being held back by how dated the engine and client are.
    If Ubisoft rewrote the code for the game or released "Growtopia 2" they would be able to make better updates much more easily.
    Even rewriting a small part of the game, such as the menu GUI (Which has a number of issues, for example, there are no radio buttons or dropdown menus) could greatly increase potential for future updates.
    I haven't investigated how GT is written, but this is quite likely. I would happily accept some downtime for them to swap over to a new system.
    Last edited by ID: BEASTLY; 01-30-2019 at 10:17 PM.

I'm not even sure how the heck an exploit like the SDB one would occur.

To put it simply, there is a flag that sets SDB unusable when at a certain number, and that is global.

Somehow in the tutorial world that flag is changed to allow for sdb's to become possible. My thinking is they somehow used the same variable for SDB's as they did for the new tutorial world, or called the wrong variable somehow.

because of the simple error, it only took a second to find and fix it.

Anyways, though a mixup like that is extremely easy to fix, the fact that it happened in the first place is shocking and honestly doesn't make any sense. Your code has to be extremely sloppy to have a callback like that.
    IGN: Noodle (previously Noodle905)

Just your average dude who enjoys playing the game and solving riddles

https://www.upload.ee/image/9292002/heallvishere.png

Quote Originally Posted by NekoRei View Post
    Damn I clicked on it... I was Luis Fonzied

Quote Originally Posted by Epikur View Post
    Just my 2 cents
    different developers will have different ways of writing code :3
    IGN : iScreamSoda

A Software Engineering student

Geiger Searching World : RFO

Also selling some items @ BUYGAPPLE

Guides :
    Surgery (it is useless now, after the new update)

Joined date: 7 September 2013

While it's somewhat evident that this is true, it's also noticeable that they are improving and getting more and more familiar with it. Over time this will only improve. I'm sure most other companies who purchase a game go through the same process, too. It's pretty difficult to manage a game where there's so much potential for errors. Plus, there's a lot of people who play this game as well as the constant demand for updates. Put all of that together, and you have a real task on your hands.
    You can contact me if you have any questions or concerns, whether it be in-game or via forums. I'm commonly occupied with creating worlds and socializing with players!

Growtopia Username: Lewius

Quote Originally Posted by Josh289 View Post
    While it's somewhat evident that this is true, it's also noticeable that they are improving and getting more and more familiar with it. Over time this will only improve. I'm sure most other companies who purchase a game go through the same process, too. It's pretty difficult to manage a game where there's so much potential for errors. Plus, there's a lot of people who play this game as well as the constant demand for updates. Put all of that together, and you have a real task on your hands.
    Yes, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh289 View Post
    Be patience...thats the key
    I quitted
    REEEEEE

Quote Originally Posted by DreadVoidGT View Post
    Why dont you buy GT and manage it yourself?
    Are you honestly that dumb? You want a regular person to BUY a whole game just because he doesn't like the way they run their code?

Back to thread: I think most of the problems arise from lack of testing and due to the outdated engine that Growtopia work on, or simply due to lack of familiarity with the code/engine. These problems can be fixed with proper testing - From players themselves -, Using a new engine, the last problem will get fixed as time pass and Ubisoft grow more familiar with Growtopia's Code.
    IGN: IxHeroxI
    Ooga Booga, Pensive time.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...80/QYjhVX7.gif