Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disappointed With Your “Chinese” New Year

Quote Originally Posted by ID: BEASTLY View Post
    It is not a failure of Ubisoft; this is a failure of the English language. Being Western, English often generalises Asia. In the name "Chinese New Year", "Chinese" does not merely mean "for people from China". It's meaning is closer to "Asian". However, since the event and calendar originated in China, it is fair to keep the name "Chinese" -- at least until it is officially decided by society that it should be changed. The global calendar system, the one that is now in 2019, is officially called the Gregorian calendar -- but there aren't many Gregorians!

- - - Updated - - -

Your examples do not fit. A better analogy would be if Americans also celebrated Australia Day, and held part of their identity in Australia Day. As an American, you would appreciate being included in the naming. Also, it is not China's national day, it is a celebration of the new calendar year.
    This ^^^^^^
    Sub to my youtube channel here! Means a lot!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC08...PiIyg/featured

IGN - Jake645

Level: LV. 53

(Received LV. 50 on November 5th, 2016)

GOALS

Own GROW and make it famous again - Own it, and have gotten honors several times

Get something good in surgery - Gotten one med scarf on an alternate account

Get as many rollback plaques as possible (Collecting beginning 8/10/17) - Currently own 383

Last updated: September 3rd, 2017

Before you talk about how it doesn't even cover the other countries celebrating the Lunar New Year, can we first talk about how the items themselves, despite trying to celebrate the Chinese New Year, do not even cover the event whatsoever?

Like seriously, FORTUNE COOKIES? That's the biggest effing insult in my face. It's like Ubisoft simply went to a chinese restaurant and took the fortune cookies. Fortune Cookies are AMERICAN. They're MADE IN AMERICA, and ONLY USED IN AMERICA. It does not even COVER Chinese New Year whatsoever, except for the fact that they are used in CHINESE RESTAURANTS in places OUTSIDE OF CHINA. What's worse is that they had a YEAR to cover for that and replace them with Red Envelopes, something that is ACTUALLY part of the holiday, but nope. We're still stuck with the biggest insult of a "chinese" new year item this year.

I'm not being ungrateful; I simply believe, that Ubisoft, at the very minimum, should do proper research on the customs of a holiday.
    Last edited by MadameZ; 02-02-2019 at 05:30 PM.
    IGN: MadameZ

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Paul View Post
    DIdn’t You know that Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Singapore and many more countries also celebrate the Lunar new year? The name you generalize it as leaves out thousands of players who also have their tradition. And also... it also might offend people who experienced Chinese communism so keep that in mind. Uncultured swines.
    This.. This is what I call being ungrateful.
    "I can see a rainbow. In your tears as they fall on down. I can see your soul grow. Through the pain as they hit the ground". ~ Sia.

Changed name to FabPiano
    I'm a boy, please don't say that I am a girl..
    Want some fabulous songs? TUNESONGS
    Instagram: FabPianoGT

Read my first story! The beginning of FabPiano
    Join my Discord: *Maintenace*
    https://www.growtopiagame.com/forums...ng-of-FabPiano

Quote Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
    BlackIce was nuked from orbit!

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BlackIce View Post
    This.. This is what I call being ungrateful.
    I’m not saying the update is I’m saying that they shouldn’t generalize it that way because it leaves out a large community of people.
    J A K E

P A U L

To be honest, when we got Chinese New year, it wasn't gonna be as big as the other events. And like they've done a pretty good job. I wasn't expecting crazy amounts of stuff, and the items this update are crazy good.

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Edvoid20 View Post
    To be honest, when we got Chinese New year, it wasn't gonna be as big as the other events. And like they've done a pretty good job. I wasn't expecting crazy amounts of stuff, and the items this update are crazy good.
    Yeah, but can’t they just add in more stuff and not generalize it as “Chinese New Year” like the traditional lion head and body, a lot of Asian countries lion dance. Also traditional clothing like the “Ao Dai” from Vietnam.

Edit: By the way, I do not aim any hate toward the developers. I just want them to know that they are leaving a huge community of people out. If they are aware of this however, I will take slight offense to that.
    J A K E

P A U L

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZebra94 View Post
    Before you talk about how it doesn't even cover the other countries celebrating the Lunar New Year, can we first talk about how the items themselves, despite trying to celebrate the Chinese New Year, do not even cover the event whatsoever?

Like seriously, FORTUNE COOKIES? That's the biggest effing insult in my face. It's like Ubisoft simply went to a chinese restaurant and took the fortune cookies. Fortune Cookies are AMERICAN. They're MADE IN AMERICA, and ONLY USED IN AMERICA. It does not even COVER Chinese New Year whatsoever, except for the fact that they are used in CHINESE RESTAURANTS in places OUTSIDE OF CHINA. What's worse is that they had a YEAR to cover for that and replace them with Red Envelopes, something that is ACTUALLY part of the holiday, but nope. We're still stuck with the biggest insult of a "chinese" new year item this year.

I'm not being ungrateful; I simply believe, that Ubisoft, at the very minimum, should do proper research on the customs of a holiday.
    You got to hand it to a company who doesn’t want to spend just half an hour studying Asian culture on Wikipedia, though. This is pretty insulting, however, like people other than Americans spend F’ing money on the game too, and that is all they care about, pay attention to them.
    J A K E

P A U L

DIdn’t You know that Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Singapore and many more countries also celebrate the Lunar new year? The name you generalize it as leaves out thousands of players who also have their tradition. And also... it also might offend people who experienced Chinese communism so keep that in mind. Uncultured swines.
    Hello, we should appreciate that the developers take their time think out all the way to celebrate this awesome event with us. Stop judging with those negative words. Appreciate it, the tittle of the event doesn't really matter, the only thing that matter is the purpose of this event, should be glad that all the growtopians are celebrating with us.

Master Sorcerer

Chill out getting triggered on small things
    Hey it's me

Ign:Manup

"If you're too open-minded; your brains will fall out.”
    ― Lawrence Ferlinghetti

Why do people say "no offense" right when they're about to offend you?

Quote Originally Posted by SWAGMR5055 View Post
    Hello, we should appreciate that the developers take their time think out all the way to celebrate this awesome event with us. Stop judging with those negative words. Appreciate it, the tittle of the event doesn't really matter, the only thing that matter is the purpose of this event, should be glad that all the growtopians are celebrating with us.
    They didn't think though, have the stuff doesn't make sense according to other people( I have no knowledge on what is correct, but I'll take their word for it)

as for the topic, I don't see any major problem with it being called that, but it would have sounded a bit better with Lunar New Year, makes it more universal

Nobody is being left out. In case nobody has realized, this is a game; more specifically, a game that everybody has access to.

The second we start claiming aspects of culture in a virtual world is the day the community actually becomes the stupidest one on the internet. Let us be clear: there is no problem with the update at all. There is a problem with the name?

Aspects of culture are assimilated, conglomerated, and altered daily. It is not the fault of Ubisoft that they want to appeal to the majority of the western world by recognizing it how it is named in those cultures. "Chinese" New Year is not exclusively Chinese, and anyone that does not live in a bubble knows this. So why complain? It is just an adjective that has been used for years to summarize a celebration that has been ongoing in several Asian countries for years — nothing more.

Of course, I would not expect much a counterpoint since the OP has a history of making atrocious, indefensible remarks regarding how poorly Growtopia is run.

Quote Originally Posted by Colmar View Post
    So.. you want us to keep our mouth shut? Not expressing what we feel about this update? HUH?
    Without us whining and keep complaining.. they will think that we are SATISFIED with the update where in fact that lot of us do not satisfied at all, even some of us offended

Btw Australia Day celebrated mainly focused in Australia only and US Independence day celebrated mainly in America..

AND Chinese New Year celebrated in many asia country because they are celebrated by Chinese (race), not celebrated in China Only!

And dont you dare to start argument with St. Patrick's day as they celebrated in US, UK, Canada, Brazil and Irish
    If you or anyone else is actually offended by this, then perhaps you should break out of your bubble and live a little. The world does not cater to you; rather, the converse is truer.
    Been playing Growtopia since 2010.

I am a proud Hakmarian — the pope in fact!

Contact Info:

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlid View Post
    If you or anyone else is actually offended by this, then perhaps you should break out of your bubble and live a little. The world does not cater to you; rather, the converse is truer.
    Im offended for other reason, its the background!

I might be selfish, but I speak what in my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksis St View Post
    Protects the rights of ancestral seed
    THEY BUFFED IT 2X

Quote Originally Posted by Odric View Post
    That's a really awesome item! Great work!
    Well then, add that thing!

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Manup View Post
    Chill out getting triggered on small things
    Let’s see how you feel when they generalize your culture.
    J A K E

P A U L

Quote Originally Posted by ItsKyan View Post
    What about St Patricks Day! They only celebrate that event when that is irish event
    Trust me ST Patrick's Day is massively celebrated in the whole of the UK!
    IGN - Jud
    Main world - LR

Goal -
    Title - 07%/100%

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlid View Post
    Nobody is being left out. In case nobody has realized, this is a game; more specifically, a game that everybody has access to.

The second we start claiming aspects of culture in a virtual world is the day the community actually becomes the stupidest one on the internet. Let us be clear: there is no problem with the update at all. There is a problem with the name?

Aspects of culture are assimilated, conglomerated, and altered daily. It is not the fault of Ubisoft that they want to appeal to the majority of the western world by recognizing it how it is named in those cultures. "Chinese" New Year is not exclusively Chinese, and anyone that does not live in a bubble knows this. So why complain? It is just an adjective that has been used for years to summarize a celebration that has been ongoing in several Asian countries for years — nothing more.

Of course, I would not expect much a counterpoint since the OP has a history of making atrocious, indefensible remarks regarding how poorly Growtopia is run.

Cultures blend, they change, yes. However, this is not a matter of cultures changing, this is a matter of outsiders to the culture misinterpreting it. They are not improving or changing it, they are just showing that they don't understand it. However, again, I am happy that they decided to make CNY on Growtopia, it shows inclusivity, but it needs to be done correctly. The naming isn't that bad, but they just need to be careful, especially with other things like the kinds of graphics on blocks (ie temple wallpaper).
    New calculator site (in progress): http://beastlygrowtopia.site11.com

Old calculator thread:
    http://www.growtopiagame.com/forums/...Calculator-Hub

Okay good point. We're considering calling it Lunar New Year instead. Also no need for that last part. Try to be respectful in the forum based on the Growtopian Code:
    "Keep all your language at a family-friendly level."

Quote Originally Posted by NekoRei View Post
    Okay good point. We're considering calling it Lunar New Year instead. Also no need for that last part. Try to be respectful in the forum based on the Growtopian Code:
    Any chance of some thing retextured? Like that wallpaper
    I might be selfish, but I speak what in my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksis St View Post
    Protects the rights of ancestral seed
    THEY BUFFED IT 2X

Quote Originally Posted by Odric View Post
    That's a really awesome item! Great work!
    Well then, add that thing!

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by NekoRei View Post
    Huh? What did I say wrong though? Swine is a bad word?

Thanks so much, by the way.
    J A K E

P A U L