Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We PC user demand a Launcher/Updater for Growtopia!

Default We PC user demand a Launcher/Updater for Growtopia!

This is not a suggestion. This is a demand! This is not a protest. This is a... peace protest? We shall fast till our death if we don't get a Launcher/Updater for Growtopia. Okay maybe no fasting but pretending to be fasting (I'm eating a cheeseburger right now) because that turned out to be effective according to my history textbook.

Think about the thousands of megabytes of data we users have wasted over the how many ever versions of Growtopia there are. And there are thousands of us mind you.

Where on the other hand there are people in the world with no internet! Why being so privileged, are we wasting our data? Think about how selfish and ignorant we are!

Think about how a small little addition to the game could save so much data! We millenials shall fight for our data.. by making useless posts. Hey.. not like we can do anything else (I know hot to make a sandwich but not sure if that counts).

I mean come on I know it's not hard to make an updater/installer. I know how it works. Plus Ubisoft is an experienced game making company.

Pls everybody who feels my pain reply, reply for the sake of Humanity!! We will cry together.. in protest! Anybody wants a sandwich?
    removed weird signature
    Please do not use that picture again or I will have to ban you.

Just add a link to this download on your desktop, or wherever you like. You could even make a macro to download and run it periodically or whenever you launch GT.

https://growtopiagame.com/Growtopia-Installer.exe
    New calculator site (in progress): http://beastlygrowtopia.site11.com

Old calculator thread:
    http://www.growtopiagame.com/forums/...Calculator-Hub

Well this thread died a short death.

Oh change that
    Slightly above average in human intellect

Quote Originally Posted by ID: BEASTLY View Post
    Just add a link to this download on your desktop, or wherever you like. You could even make a macro to download and run it periodically or whenever you launch GT.

https://growtopiagame.com/Growtopia-Installer.exe
    How will that help exactly? Why would adding a link to my desktop to the download page be better than clicking on the link that appears on the client when there's a new download? Downloading the installer periodically? Seriously what good will downloading something that you already have do? I'm confused.

Anyways the point of this thread is to not have to download the entire installer again.

You're a techy guy you should be knowing a little about how updating clients work. And if some 8 year old is able to make an updater for his executable 'hello world' by using somebody's github repository then why can't a multimillion dollar Ubisoft do it, which has already done it with Uplay?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ScammePlse View Post
    Well this thread died a short death.

Oh change that
    I shall not let down my PC friends, I shall debate every opposer! But honestly there's simply no 'against view' for matters like these so I'm pretty happy debating. Or shall I say pummeling mwhahaha.. just kidding.
    removed weird signature

Quote Originally Posted by ... View Post
    Anybody wants a sandwich?
    Everyone does!
    ~Chemmie
    Discord: Chem #7714

Hmmm I wonder if it would be illegal to distribute a launcher for Growtopia. It ought to be illegal if it were a .exe file. But what if it weren't a .exe file, but rather source code? Now of course in order for this to be a proper 'launcher' it has to receive information from somewhere. Could have a launcher that simply downloads Growtopia when there's a new update but that defeats the point of this thread.

So would an open source launcher that reads information from a website be legal? And since it's open source the user would know exactly what is going to happen with the information that comes. And so technically it should be allowed right?

Are there any gray areas that I forgot?
    Some Guardian needs to address this.

I would love to work on something like this some day if it's allowed.
    removed weird signature

How will that help exactly? Why would adding a link to my desktop to the download page be better than clicking on the link that appears on the client when there's a new download? Downloading the installer periodically? Seriously what good will downloading something that you already have do? I'm confused.

Anyways the point of this thread is to not have to download the entire installer again.

You're a techy guy you should be knowing a little about how updating clients work. And if some 8 year old is able to make an updater for his executable 'hello world' by using somebody's github repository then why can't a multimillion dollar Ubisoft do it, which has already done it with Uplay?
    A lot of updaters actually do download and reinstall the entire program. That is exactly what happens with mobile apps. It sounds like that GitHub repository could come in handy for you. Otherwise, I just did a Google search and third-party updater programs do exist, in fact they are quite popular.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm I wonder if it would be illegal to distribute a launcher for Growtopia. It ought to be illegal if it were a .exe file. But what if it weren't a .exe file, but rather source code? Now of course in order for this to be a proper 'launcher' it has to receive information from somewhere. Could have a launcher that simply downloads Growtopia when there's a new update but that defeats the point of this thread.

So would an open source launcher that reads information from a website be legal? And since it's open source the user would know exactly what is going to happen with the information that comes. And so technically it should be allowed right?

Are there any gray areas that I forgot?
    Some Guardian needs to address this.

I would love to work on something like this some day if it's allowed.
    This is exactly what I am suggesting. Yes, it is totally legal to build a macro that operates outside of playing the game itself. As long as you don't edit any GT files, except through Ubisoft's installer, you're fine.

Old calculator thread:

We really need an official updater, I am tired of downloading a new launcher every new update, these things are in every folder!
    IGN: IxHeroxI
    Ooga Booga, Pensive time.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...80/QYjhVX7.gif

A lot of updaters actually do download and reinstall the entire program.
    Are you talking about 10 megabyte games? I would think they wouldn't need a launcher at all.

That just doesn't make sense. If you are going to take the trouble to sort a launcher, then why not also put a little more effort so that the launcher could instead of just deleting and replacing could also make particular modifications?

It sounds like that GitHub repository could come in handy for you
    No it couldn't. You need to have the new version and old version to make the modification log. I can't have the new file without having to download it entirely.

The idea having an open source launcher was this itself. One server downloads the new file, compares with old file and sends this information to anybody who uses the launcher. The launcher gets this information and accordingly makes changes.

This is exactly what I am suggesting. Yes, it is totally legal to build a macro that operates outside of playing the game itself. As long as you don't edit any GT files, except through Ubisoft's installer, you're fine.
    You didn't understand what I said. It's a launcher to be 'distributed'. As I said it's not possible to make a launcher for myself without downloading the entire new version again.

You get what I'm saying right? The launcher isn't just a display piece it's a data saver.

Yes, it is totally legal to build a macro that operates outside of playing the game itself.
    Making a launcher for Growtopia might be legal. What I'm asking is whether it would be legal to distribute it. Would it? I'm sure you would have asked questions like these.
    removed weird signature

You can see the size of a file before fully downloading it. You could make the program compare the file size to the version you currently have -- surely it changes by at least a few bytes.

I think distributing it would be legal, as long as you don't pretend you made GT, of course. However, I wouldn't advise anyone to download it... It would be the easiest way to share a virus.

- - - Updated - - -

I know I keep refuting you, but I can't deny that an official updater would be nice.

Old calculator thread:

You can see the size of a file before fully downloading it. You could make the program compare the file size to the version you currently have -- surely it changes by at least a few bytes.
    Yes that's an intelligent idea. But this allows you to change between 'old' versions. It doesn't allow you to get a new version of the game because to get the new version of the game, you have to download it..

There's no point in changing between versions because only the latest version can connect online.

Oh if you're talking about the distributed launcher thing - then yes I forgot to consider that the user could be using a very old version!

But the thing is, again, this defeats the point, because the launcher must send the entire file data to the server which will make the modification log, to send back to the launcher.

So if there was an easier clue like if we were able to identify the version of the client by searching the GT files then we could just send those few bytes of information to the server and the server would generate a modification log and send that to the launcher to modify accordingly.

I think distributing it would be legal, as long as you don't pretend you made GT, of course. However, I wouldn't advise anyone to download it... It would be the easiest way to share a virus.
    It would be alright for copyright purposes. But would it be alright to distribute such a thing on the forums?

Then I think you're the perfect person to make something like this.

- - - Updated - - -

But.. there's no way of knowing what an executable file can do right.. so I think the forum wouldn't allow .exe files. So it must be open source? The launcher?

But would it be okay to even distribute the open source on the forums? Idk maybe the moderators might think that somebody might run the open source without knowing how to read the source so maybe one day the source is malicious and the person still runs it..

I donno there's a lot of assumptions these Growtopia peoples make.
    removed weird signature

Oooooookay.... So probably it is quite useless but just put it onto UPlay and all is well.
    Edit: Wait...was it?
    "If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is!" - Seth, Ex-developer of Growtopia
    Wheeee~~~~ I wheeeee for no reasons so don't mind me!

Alliances
    *Paarthurnax pouts at Alduin*

Quote Originally Posted by Locked View Post
    Oooooookay.... So probably it is quite useless but just put it onto UPlay and all is well.
    Ya so ughm Basically if they don't put it into Uplay or get Growtopia a separate launcher then we're going to tell on them to their mommies and daddies. '

How dare you say it's useless! Do you know how many people in the world don't even get to utilize one bit of internet data?

Srsly tho it would be useful not having to redownload the ENTIRE game again.
    removed weird signature

Quote Originally Posted by Locked View Post
    It's not useless, and Uplay suck.
    IGN: IxHeroxI
    Ooga Booga, Pensive time.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...80/QYjhVX7.gif

I did make an unofficial one that I took down from my Github after Ubi contacted me with legitimate concerns that people could use the source to redistribute malware.
    It's shame because mine works pretty well, I could re-release it without the source but it wasn't that popular anyways
    A recipe finder. A GT Wikia Admin. Playing since Feb 2013.
    Level: 125 - L Title/Dragon/DK Wings Done - Sponsored Mystical Etherboard
    IGN: TK69

Nenkaai would it be okay to ask you for the source of your Growtopia Launcher (your inbox is full)?
    removed weird signature

Quote Originally Posted by Nenkaai View Post
    I did make an unofficial one that I took down from my Github after Ubi contacted me with legitimate concerns that people could use the source to redistribute malware.
    It's shame because mine works pretty well, I could re-release it without the source but it wasn't that popular anyways
    They made you take it off your GitHub page? They don't have that right. It would be okay to ask you to not publicize it on the Growtopia forum or the game but they have absolutely no right to ask you to remove stuff from your GitHub.
    Even if you are at the right track, you'll still get run over if you just sit there.
    -heth mumu

Quote Originally Posted by your0ruler View Post
    also.....

This cute teddy bear will cry if I get an infraction.
    Pic removed, please refrain from using naked women in your signature

Ya so ughm Basically if they don't put it into Uplay or get Growtopia a separate launcher then we're going to tell on them to their mommies and daddies. '

How dare you say it's useless! Do you know how many people in the world don't even get to utilize one bit of internet data?

Srsly tho it would be useful not having to redownload the ENTIRE game again.
    Quote Originally Posted by SupForce View Post
    It's not useless, and Uplay suck.
    Okay, so you guys want a Launcher/Updater for Growtopia?
    Well then, maybe after fixing the major issues they had in the meanwhile. It is not good leave the problems unsolved and adding more stuffs.
    And also, I also want more development for the PC version.
    "If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is!" - Seth, Ex-developer of Growtopia
    Wheeee~~~~ I wheeeee for no reasons so don't mind me!

Alliances
    *Paarthurnax pouts at Alduin*

They made you take it off your GitHub page? They don't have that right. It would be okay to ask you to not publicize it on the Growtopia forum or the game but they have absolutely no right to ask you to remove stuff from your GitHub.
    Actually, they have certain rights when it's related to THEIR game. It could legally go either way, I believe. Besides, they had a good reason.

Old calculator thread:

Actually, they have certain rights when it's related to THEIR game. It could legally go either way, I believe. Besides, they had a good reason.
    They have rights you say? They bully fan-app makers by depriving them of being able to monetize while there are apps Playstore which monetize and have been for years now.

They want you to modify your github page for their convenience but won't bother cleaning the mess there is on Youtube.

You said they have rights right? Then why don't they monitor Youtube or Playstore? And it's not that they aren't "capable" of taking down content from Youtube or Playstore. This is what I particularly hate. And if you ask them about this, they will tell you that those apps and Youtube content aren't allowed, and maybe if you want they will tell you that "they're on it". But after 2 years and not seeing any changes I don't have the patience to believe that anymore.

And back to the GitHub rep. No they can't do anything about the GitHub page. There are no copyright issues that Ubisoft can use to take down that repository. The name has Growtopia you say? Then simply edit out the name.

Sure it might be a good reason - but WHAT is that good reason?
    Even if you are at the right track, you'll still get run over if you just sit there.
    -heth mumu

also.....

This cute teddy bear will cry if I get an infraction.
    Pic removed, please refrain from using naked women in your signature