Thread: PC: Music making services

Default PC: Music making services

Hi, unorthodox price checking here but bear with me

I'm a relatively unknown music maker usually just making songs for myself and myself alone, and I used to also make songs for some friends back in the day, at prices that would be, by today's standards, basically dirt cheap. Between 2013 and 2018 I've left and returned out of boredom more times than I can count, and I have been making music all the while. Quality used to be meh but it's gotten better with the introduction of BPM changing and begin/end notes.

Compared to other artists' work, my music isn't exactly the highest quality -- for one, I hardly use Audio Racks, and usually stick exclusively to piano notes (as well as drum and bass notes in some of my recent creations). I'm relatively poor, and sticking to piano notes instead of audio racks does mean I'm missing out on opportunities like playing with volume, but allows me to keep making music without bombing all my World Locks. Other instruments are hard to come by (lyre), and/or just sound terrible in certain compositions (sax, maybe violin/flute).

That said, I usually just make songs I want, usually coming from video games. I avoid making pop songs (blegh) and songs that have already been done to death in the game. Usually that means the songs I make in Growtopia are one of a kind (hopefully), or have very few other renditions around. However my musical talent is limited to reading sheet music, not transcribing by ear or composing my own songs, so there are no truly "original" songs from me, just one-of-a-kind stuff.

Some examples of songs I've made include:
    INTERSTELLA5555 - Aerodynamic, Daft Punk
    XVZERO - X vs Zero, Megaman X5 (one of my most recent projects)
    TRUEPACIFISM - Fallen Down ~ Reprise, Undertale (made in 2015 or early 2016, probably)
    THREEGODDESSES - Fugue in Three Goddesses, Skullgirls
    POWERHUNGRYFOOL - Power-Hungry Fool, Fire Emblem 9/10 (one of my first long songs, made when broadcasts were still 50 gems)
    MOONLIGHTSONATA - Moonlight Sonata 3rd Mvt, Beethoven

I also have other songs made that are even lower-quality because they're short, only piano, made early, or a combination of all those:
    MEGARAY - Lorekeeper Zinnia, Pokemon OR/AS
    YOUOFTHEDARK - You of the Dark, Fire Emblem Fates
    ELCREST - Stella Glow
    HISTHEME - His Theme, Undertale
    XNX - Confiserie, jubeat saucer
    ETERNALFLOWER - AZ's Theme, Pokemon X/Y

(this may seem like a shameless plug, but it's necessary to judge the quality of my songs I guess)

While I mostly still make music for myself, I want to know how much you guys think I should be charging should I decide to make songs for others -- prices for both new compositions, and for copy-over songs, since as of now, none of my songs are free to copy.
    A friend of mine recommended that I take up the request to copy over the song in MOONLIGHTSONATA for the price of 3 Diamond Locks since it's "one-of-a-kind", but I honestly think that's overkill as far as music goes.

TL;DR, how much should I be charging for my music at its current level of quality? Would like to gather other opinions on the matter since I'm out of touch with prices. Thanks

It still depends on the complexity, length and amount of stuff used for the song. It is even possible for a unique remix of a common song such as jingle bells to cost up to 3 dls.

The current price scheme of gt for music services right now is in between quality and fame of transcriber.

Copying services tend to be 10-20wls + amount used on music stuff.

Transcribing services well, there are a lot of people doing in the collaboration thread so you should check it out but roughly around 100wls (most common).

Composing services. I'll say this cause it is true, no one in this game really composes due to lack of demand and skill (no offenss). The most common is transcribing. The pricing for this is unknown as I have yet to meet anyone who composes but I bet it would slightly be more expensive than transcribing.

Currently, less than 1% of the players can truly transcribe and roughly only 1% of the 1% would probably know how to properly compose a piece. Even transcribing music is very difficult in this game since you only have access to 2 octaves per row forcing transcribers to get creative and try to cut corners (compromise) during transcribing; compromising tends to reduce the quality of the piece. Since there aren't many people who can do it, you should be fine about whether you can find a customer.

Quote Originally Posted by crozzo View Post
    Thanks, I didn't think to look in Collaboration to find clients but that seems like a possible option.

Does the originality of the song have no part to do in its price? Does that mean the price of that MOONLIGHTSONATA copy-over that my friend (from SONGTOPIAN) suggested, would be extremely overkill?

Quote Originally Posted by revelrous View Post
    Thanks, I didn't think to look in Collaboration to find clients but that seems like a possible option.

Does the originality of the song have no part to do in its price? Does that mean the price of that MOONLIGHTSONATA copy-over that my friend (from SONGTOPIAN) suggested, would be extremely overkill?
    Even if the piece isn't original, you could still sell it for a high price if it provides a higher quality and the factors as I mentioned (length, complexity, amount of notes used).

Originality affects the price as well but the only music considered "original" in the game is composed music and remixes (unless the remix is transcribed from somewhere). Currently, we don't have information on the value of originality.

If there is only one or few copies of a song, it may affect the price as well. This is only for when you want to sell the world directly with the music.

I'm not particularly sure what you meant by the moonlightsonata question. Mind elaborate a bit more? Did you mean that you are the one who transcribed that piece or did you copy it from somewhere.

Define "made"... I used a synthesia vid for it, but I didn't copy it from another world, just brought it over. How much would it be then? Would help if you could go to the world and assess the level of quality as well.

Quote Originally Posted by revelrous View Post
    Define "made"... I used a synthesia vid for it, but I didn't copy it from another world, just brought it over. How much would it be then? Would help if you could go to the world and assess the level of quality as well.
    Yeah sorry, I wasn't sure what you meant by the question earlier and edited the post. I checked out the world and it is already considered as "Excellent" for this game. I'd say that complexity would contribute the most to the piece's value and should be around 120wls. This piece could potentially be 350-500wls if it was possible to make a more complete version (sadly not possible).

By "excellent" I mean this is the best you or any transcriber can probably do in this game due to the limitations of this game.

I'll keep it in mind, ty

And yeah, it gets to the point where you can actually feel the pain of not having a third octave