Thread: What should be done to prevent data mining?

Default What should be done to prevent data mining?

Well, data mining is quite a big issue that seems pretty important that Ubisoft should prevent.

As mods stated, it IS illegal. But how can this be prevented? If people like MrSongo can easily data mine the items, even if the mods ban him from showing the new textures, it still doesn't prevent others from doing so and mods won't find out.

Theres two possible solutions I thought of:
    1) Don't give out updates to the app until the very last second of a new event coming

2) In every update, release all the textures for everyone to see.

These are still bad ways to actually 'prevent' data miners(or at least get rid of their advantage).
    So I must ask, how should this be addressed? Should the youtubers get punished? Should(or can) security be increased on the new items to make it harder to find?

Slight edit, just realized it "isn't considered datamining" because the name or recipe isn't found. Just the image. If this is true, I definitely think the pictures should be released to the public without needed to watch some youtuber's video.
    Last edited by Malware; 05-02-2019 at 01:40 PM.
    Let's make posts that count!

This has been happening for a long time and this controversy popped up just now?

Nevertheless,I agree. But then again,Ubi has more problems than that too... e.g. Spammers,Piling up reports in Support Desk,etc.
    +1

A NEET but has a stable job at a cafe

https://www.growtopiagame.com/forums...2&d=1554470952

I agree with both comments above me but the thing is that its not so easy to release app update at the last second possible. I dont know about google play, but app store (for iOS) has strict rules and apps' updates. They cannot be released whenever developers want.
    And yea, game has much more important problems that this, so better focus on them.
    IGN: Imunity

i agree with this.

So your saying ban someone oh like m****** like that. I guess the first few hours he showed the textures of each item. Well gave us clues, but technically mods as stated on the May 3rd so that is friday. But after 24 hours I think he reedited his video for 3 mins blur. So I think that litterally he has someone or somethings going on. Going against a big crowd of fans there. But you may have a point. I muted the name
    IGN: INVSIBILITY - Hey you need a friend or a person to talk or anything call me up, well not all the time but I try.

Tomorrow I want to change the world,Today I became wiser to change what I began

Never Open This!!!

I don't see much harm in datamining, unless you decide to lock item names then that should be Punishable.

And Songo shares the sprites in his youtube video, so he's not the only one who knows how they look like

It's possible to just encrypt all textures (with algorithms that, you know, take thousands of years to decrypt) and obfuscate the way they're stored in memory while the game is running. Why they haven't done that is beyond me.
    this could be fun

It doesn't work like that, they can't just push out everything last minute, they probably have a test server where they test these items before uploading it to the real server, dataminers have access to these test servers and this is how they get the info, and why is everyone making a big issue about datamining? What's the problem lol, so many other games do it and people get excited and get the hype built up. Why do people here hate it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GaysD View Post
    It doesn't work like that, they can't just push out everything last minute, they probably have a test server where they test these items before uploading it to the real server, dataminers have access to these test servers and this is how they get the info, and why is everyone making a big issue about datamining?
    Locking the worlds is a HUGE problem. Its unfair and gets the miners a lot of DLS

Quote Originally Posted by EZclap View Post
    Locking the worlds is a HUGE problem. Its unfair and gets the miners a lot of DLS
    Fair enough.

Default AGREE

I agree with this dont give advantage to them

They can't deliver the new update "on the very last second" to all devices. Remember that apps updates have to be approved first by the App/Play store.

Datamining is impossible to stop tbh. Converting the sprites into PNG is not hard, and there are even tools online that can do that.
    The only thing that is one step harder are item names as those are encrypted (or hashed, I'm not sure)
    As hard as a stone
    Web Devops for more than 4 years

Goals:
    - Get 3 MagPlants (DONE!)
    - Reach level 100 (53/100)

Quote Originally Posted by GaysD View Post
    It doesn't work like that, they can't just push out everything last minute, they probably have a test server where they test these items before uploading it to the real server, dataminers have access to these test servers and this is how they get the info, and why is everyone making a big issue about datamining? What's the problem lol, so many other games do it and people get excited and get the hype built up. Why do people here hate it lol.
    Uh, no they don't.
    IGN: IxHeroxI
    Ooga Booga, Pensive time.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...80/QYjhVX7.gif

Technically speaking; it can't be stopped, it's exists in every game especially mainstream ones. Technical changes to make it harder to "datamine" only lasts a certain time before becoming useless. Only measures against players are effective since it isn't okay to do.

But to make one point clear, it is harmful to both devs and players. The former for having an entire update spoiled to players before it hasn't happened (eg. Gross-Out), cutting the hype and the latter for basically being spoiled.

Players benefiting from this, such as world name locking before and after the release of an update should be checked and punished accordingly if it's obvious enough. Worlds should NOT be nuked and instead have a basic trade design, owned by the Ubi mods instead of being redistributed. Perhaps a world template. It's especially true when it affects a SEMI-OFFICIAL source such as a content creator, which that particular person even leaked the easter egg sprites accidently left out before easter.
    A recipe finder. A GT Wikia Admin. Playing since Feb 2013.
    Level: 120. Title/Dragon/Dragon Wings/Epic done, sponsor pending.
    IGN: TK69