94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

82 87.23%
  • No

9 9.57%
  • Other

3 3.19%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rant - Grow Events are Getting Boring!

Default Rant - Grow Events are Getting Boring!

Every week it's the same old story. Event starts. Spend ages buying tools. Go do some mundane task.

Like seriously, most weeks it's either punching a block, placing a block, splicing trees, harvesting trees, or fishing.

The "fun" events are Super Startopians, Surgery Stars and Cooking Conquerors, this is because they involve ACTUAL in-game activities; despite the fact that even though they all have entry costs they've had a tool slapped onto them. (Yes fishing is an activity but the way they're treated by Grow Events is complete trash).

The other activities I mentioned above, with the exclusion of fishing, are simple properties of the game (being able to break and place blocks) that have been expanded into entire events. They are BORING, I spend hours trying to find Exquisite Tools for sale because otherwise I need to buy pristine tools and Gold + Steel blocks and make the Exquisite Tools. If I didn't need to use a surplus of 10 Exquisite tools most weeks this would be manageable, but with tools breaking left right and centre it's hard to find enjoyment in the Guild Events when I need to keep ducking out to BUYPRISTINE (which by the way is almost always silent because of the royal lock and most people don't use the billboards because they are so lengthy to set up).

This brings me onto a slight side topic, some activities are incredibly boring in GT because of the way windows work, you have to wait for the window to CLOSE (yes there's an animation for a window closing) and then for the next one to OPEN (again, animation). This is awkward because if you start surgery with your inventory open, each animation sequence not only destroys the connection between your brain and your eyes, but it takes longer for the next window to open. (You'll understand what I mean if you try this out, do Surgery with your inventory bar pulled up). How windows work should really be fixed because it's trash and is 6-year-old GUI proving it's age.

Back on topic, I do not enjoy sitting in trade worlds trying to find sellers for items, and it's a waste of gems to buy tools for gems considering every update involves something new requiring gems. Grow events need to be made more fun, currently they rely ENTIRELY on the tools you use, the Anomarods don't even have the same effect as Licorice Rod, making them even more painful to use. The fishing event sucks, because it's balanced horribly and reaching maximum points takes several hours out of your weekend.

Rebalance the system, make what type of fish and what LB the fish is count; combine breaking and placing blocks because they are BASICALLY THE SAME THING; combine splicing and harvesting because AGAIN, BASICALLY THE SAME. You should be putting less emphasis on the tools and more emphasis on the activities, I still prefer the original rendition of Grow Events (where there were 5 means of gaining points), because they were more activity-related. Now it's do a SINGLE mundane task that relies solely on the WLS you spend.

"Skill" may be hard to test in a 2D game, but "knowledge" and "application of knowledge" isn't, test our resourcefulness by increasing the points from Uranium and Ice Fishing, quests in the Galactic Nexus, better yet fighting Growlactus, should whoop the butts of points from quests in the Alpha Sector, Massive Trauma. Need I say more?

The Grow Events are ENTIRELY about spending WLS, and BARELY about doing the actual associated activity. There needs to be MORE THAN ONE way of gaining points in events, like there used to be. You may ask about Super Startopians, there's Star Voyages (different sectors), there's fighting Growlactus, and there's advancing ships to new Sectors. Get creative.

Side note, what happened to the Geiger Event that was planned? It was announced that it was meant to be the second Grow Event until the events were postponed for June 2018, we still haven't seen an incarnation of the Geiger Event. This would make use of those otherwise useless yellow potions you made way back when.

The way Grow Events are now are purely gem/wl-spending weekends where you painstakingly either grind a boring activity or spend spend spend. Fishing is only fun when you can do what you want, use what ROD you want; we have a collection of various rods so why force us to use the unconventional Anomarods? I have maxed the Fishing event twice this Season and it is the absolute most boring event because I'm sitting there with a Rod that activates every 22 seconds instead of 11.

Lower the break-rate of tools and focus more on the activities in question, be creative don't just fall back on gems.

Note, I've stated that this is a rant, NOT a complaint, so it's not structured and there may be several grammar and spelling errors.

One more side note, fix Royal Locks already, they're destroying the game more than spambots ever could.
    Growtopia: Oldsock/Oldzock
    Instagram: @sockia
    Discord: Oldsock#0653

Getting boring? already boring.
    I've been waiting for someone to post such a thread. I always wanted to rant about how placing or building blocks is challenging, not to mention how hard is it to find sellers and how disgusting is BUYPRISTINE.

It's no longer about skill or knowledge, it's about how fast your tool breaks, that's even close to betting which is illegal. We basically are betting our money on the tools. And that certainly isn't so fun. I left my previous guild and joined a social guild (BETA) because of that.

+1
    bye.

Grow events are completely boring, no matter even its Surgery or cooking. We are doing same thing for 1 Years. Also just 5000 Player joining the Grow Events,(its nothing in 200-300k+ Active players). I think developers show a lot of attention to GrowEvents, Maybe because of pristine price.
    Goal : Legendary | Level 100 | Epic Quest | Better Suggestion

My Last Suggestion; GrowPass in GrowTopia!

AMAZING THREAD!

To sum up your whole text, i can quote your sentence: "You should be putting less emphasis on the tools and more emphasis on the activities"

I remember the beginning of the events when every weekend was the most welcome and the most exciting thing to wait during the week, you could count days till the next event. Now the feeling is completely opposite - you are crossing fingers and hoping that the next event wont be the most boring/monotonous out of the list (well now we have schedule, so i guess this does not apply). No fun involved, only few hours of doing the same thing over and over again... and for 12 weeks straight!?!

The most boring event is fishing, some top guilds even skip this even (and I'm not surprised). I'm not sure if removing pristine/ex/deli tools is a good idea, but the fact that they are too expensive for average GT player is undeniable. Guild events need rework. And that rework must be done before the next clash event. Dissatisfaction rises without any work done towards improving this whole system.
    IGN: Imunity

Quote Originally Posted by Imunity View Post
    AMAZING THREAD!

To sum up your whole text, i can quote your sentence: "You should be putting less emphasis on the tools and more emphasis on the activities"

The most boring event is fishing, some top guilds even skip this even (and I'm not surprised). I'm not sure if removing pristine/ex/deli tools is a good idea, but the fact that they are too expensive for average GT player is undeniable. Guild events need rework. And that rework must be done before the next clash event. Dissatisfaction rises without any work done towards improving this whole system.
    They don't need to be removed, they need to last longer on average (in accordance with improving the way the event plays), and they need to change what Del/Pris/Exq/Elg item is needed for the fishing event, since we already have rods, it shouldn't be a rod.

And yep that quote pretty much does sum up the thread lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsock (IGN) View Post
    They don't need to be removed, they need to last longer on average (in accordance with improving the way the event plays), and they need to change what Del/Pris/Exq/Elg item is needed for the fishing event, since we already have rods, it shouldn't be a rod.

And yep that quote pretty much does sum up the thread lol.
    Agree, but some people might think that it's a good thing to remove tools. I could disagree with this one.
    IGN: Imunity

Quote Originally Posted by Imunity View Post
    Agree, but some people might think that it's a good thing to remove tools. I could disagree with this one.
    True, in my opinion ALL delicate/pristine/exquisite/elegant tools should be replaced with a grey-category item, a token called either Delicate Token, Pristine Token, etc. these tokens would be neutral across all events, so if you have tools leftover from the last event, they're not baggage, you can USE them without needing to sell or store them, and then buy the next type of tool.

If programming a priority system for the tokens is too hard, they could just be four different pants-slot items; but again the pants items would be non-specific, so versatile across ALL events.

Also note that the breaking-rate of the tokens/pants I'm proposing would still work, for example if Hammers have a higher chance of breaking than Bonesaws do, then during the "Farming" event, the tokens/pants would have a higher chance of breaking than they would during the Surgery event.

I always disliked the luck-based aspect of the guild events. One event you're lucky enough to spend just a few tools, then the next you spend way more than you're supposed to. We'd always be more worried about losing WLs instead of enjoying the event, which is one of the main points of it.

Another thing about these weekend events I always noticed is the competition. It is a 'Guild' event after all, yet I barely see interactions between the members and their opponents. It feels like the main 'competition' here is when they're racing with the opposing teams to buy their own tools in trade worlds. Like OP mentioned, entirely about spending WLs. You don't need skills in most of the events. Spend spend spend.

If there's anything that's keeping players motivated to participate, it's the prizes and the 'Mystery Legendary Branch'. But that too is failing at some point. Most of us hesitate whether or not they should start spending their WLs for something they have no idea about. I don't see a point of keeping it a surprise until after 2 months after the start of a Seasonal Clash. It always ends up as a big win for some people, meanwhile others end up with a big frown on their face. Disappointment. It's always difficult, I know it is, to please everyone who joined this event, who spent hours earning their WLs, with an item they are unsure of. That reminds me of another reason why they join no matter what the branch will be. Fear of missing out.

I agree with what Oldsock had to say. These types of events should at least be more challenging, rather than being too costly. I'm also looking forward to seeing new and better events in the upcoming clashes that requires skill, and maybe actual interaction between the guilds.
    IGN: PixelJr
    Guild: ChickenDinner (GE)
    Instagram: @iampixeljr
    Growtopia Forums Discord: http://discord.io/gtforums
    NEWS Admin. Growstocks Staff. Growtopian since 2015.

Well with this new 'Gross out' event i was hoping for something brand new rather then just items. I was more thinking on the lines of a new world maybe? Sorta like Carnival? Rather then cooking these new items.
    .................................................. .............................................https://i.ibb.co/58yWdcc/Beautiful.png

Make the events dependent on SKILL not on WLS, but that would make them lose money from gem purchases tho.
    IGN: Ephus

I've played Growtopia for 6 years now, but only recently joined the forums!

Level: 77

+1 im sure next guild clash maybe 50% of the current guild members are only will join because they are just ignoring the thread about the comet hair polll which people complains about the comet hait and BUYPRISTINE IS **** i told ubisoft already to remove the pristine name and change it all to anomalizing but they dont care so.
    IGN:Feezle
    Philippines

Life is like a game of chess
    I don't know how to play chess

Quote Originally Posted by Edvoid20 View Post
    Well with this new 'Gross out' event i was hoping for something brand new rather then just items. I was more thinking on the lines of a new world maybe? Sorta like Carnival? Rather then cooking these new items.
    Well I’m actually working on a suggestion like that 👀

Getting boring? Lol. It's boring, a waste of time. Why spend your hours trying to get your guild at number one? Or getting cosmetic items everyone hates? The Grow Events are not noob-friendly, fun and exciting. It's just a waste of wls. I'd recommend not joining these events, these must die. Everything that involves using of world locks dies after months. It's so useless that it just keeps repeating and there's no twist what so ever. It's boring and a waste of world locks/gems. I think there's never going to be something that's going to be noob-friendly, never. There always will be something that involves spending of valuables. Like the Roles Up update, I thought the quests won't involve any spending of gems but turns out these quests still requires spending of gems. It would be better if we have quests that won't involve spending of world locks/gems to unlock the QUEST but just do that QUEST and we better get a nice cosmetic item or XP. Overall, Clashes is just another update. Nothing unique, by that... boring.

I don’t even know how some Ubisoft employees thought they were gonna be a fun event for Growtopians when a lot of players can’t even afford the tools and stuff to participate

Also no skill or knowledge is used because you mindlessly break and place blocks or stand near water and fish u can also just use the internet for the ones u said are fun
    I love how people would break friendships for the sake of some yellow lock

Not gonna use fsjal avatar for now

So goddamn expensive
    IGN: Mistrella
    -
    Hi! I'm just trying to be a better version of myself so I can focus on accomplishing my goals!
    -
    Goals:
    - Have a mutualistic, trusting relationship with friends [1/5]
    - Have 1,000 posts [/1,000]

First out from oven all hype, after taste it all left
    Nevermind

Hello

They were always boring, as almost everybody here already said.

Another thing: I'm definitely not doing Summer Clash again. Comet Hair was a massive disappointment, especially since it is so set specific (for example, it's a hairstyle geared more for boys, yet all the boys I ask all say it sucks even for them). If about 61.2% of the forums hates it (keep in mind most of the voters are users who participated in the guild event and got the hair themselves), then it surely says something, right?

Revamp the guild events. Especially fishing. Also add different hairstyles to Comet Hair and make the sprite for it a blank white template like every other color changing item in game, and have it be filled in via the servers using hair dye, or if no hair dye is present, have it be set to the default color. The Legendary Branch was the only thing keeping Clash alive. Having a disappointing legendary branch along with having clash be extremely boring will cause about less than half the clash's participants return for summer.
    IGN: MadameZ
    Do i need to make this siggy any longer?

I once started a thread about gambling in gt wich is all the events rn. All the exp items are from ghc (luck) and also gambling in clash was the worst one. You trust gt for new items more and more disapointing 1st clash AMAZING second meh cool items 3rd wow day of release the branch is worth hardly 2dls.

Guess whats next? New wings bcuz theyre so welcome but not for long
    IGN : LI0NE
    LEVEL : 105
    BUY+ : Sold buyfrozenstone (47dls)
    GUILD : leader of GIANT (atm logo)

Make this block in gt! (No dammage lava)

#BringBackLBranch

this is the main reason i stop clashing.

Yea, I agree with you.

In the Fishing Fanatics event, you gain extra points for catching a perfect fish. However, the amount is super small. This is a start, but the events could use buffs and variety to make them fun.