Thread: learning to program..

Default learning to program..

so i've completely moved on gt and taking the time to learn how to program. because, well, I find it pretty fun. i reached HTML and HTML5 or Hypertext Markup Language, im gonna now learn JavaScript and CSS.. so ye
    Goodbye.

HtMl Is NoT a PrOgRaMmInG lAnGuAgE!

Just kidding. I know next to nothing about programming. Do you plan to focus on web development then? What are you goals?

Master Sorcerer

CSS is rather a stylesheet language.
    HTML is a markup language.

JavaScript is a scripting programming language. It's a really nice language for beginners, so good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Raqk View Post
    HtMl Is NoT a PrOgRaMmInG lAnGuAgE!

Just kidding. I know next to nothing about programming. Do you plan to focus on web development then? What are you goals?
    Edit: actually, yes, my main focus is on web development. Currently, I have no goals. When I complete all my practice and sessions I'll just mess around with programming and test my knowledge till I get the hang of it completely and start developing projects.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by houzteR View Post
    CSS is rather a stylesheet language.
    HTML is a markup language.

JavaScript is a scripting programming language. It's a really nice language for beginners, so good luck!
    Thanks. I have a question though, learning the basics and key points of JS can allow me to create simple games later on, right?
    Goodbye.

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by MMSTYLE View Post
    Edit: actually, yes, my main focus is on web development. Currently, I have no goals. When I complete all my practice and sessions I'll just mess around with programming and test my knowledge till I get the hang of it completely and start developing projects.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I have a question though, learning the basics and key points of JS can allow me to create simple games later on, right?
    Let's start off with a few facts:

• JavaScript is a high-level programming language, meaning they're easy-to-read, and are easily closer to human-readable language than to machine code.
    • You use JavaScript mainly to develop websites. If you want to develop desktop applications, you may want to download the node.js runtime and electron framework. Electron is a framework that Discord client runs on. Basically, Electron allows you to create desktop applications with JavaScript.
    • Javascript is an uncompiled language.
    • JavaScript won't really be the language that you'll create games in. Of course, it's possible, but it's simply not practical.

I think that you should still learn JavaScript, regardless if you want to create games or not - it's a great language to begin your programming journey with, as it's easily understandable, and will make learning new, better languages faster. Personally, I started with JavaScript years ago; today, I know these programming languages: Javascript, Java, a bit of C# and I am currently learning C++. Planning to learn assembler afterwards.

If you want to develop games, I think C# or C++ or perhaps even Java will be the language for you; however, as I stated previously: small steps. Start with Javascript, because it's a great starting point for newbies.

I recommend Codecademy for learning basics of JavaScript, by the way.

Feel free to ask some more questions, and i'll try to answer them when I have some time.
    Last edited by houzteR; 05-12-2019 at 11:10 AM.

How did you learn HTML without CSS? I guess you could do everything within the HTML document, but honestly, at that point, it is as simple as transferring everything to a CSS stylesheet and referencing it.

Either way, JavaScript is pretty simple and my personal favorite. It is entirely logic-based and straightforward. I am learning Python right now, and it is insufferably annoying.

Good luck in your endeavors!
    You may address me as God, if you like.

Contact Info:

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlid View Post
    How did you learn HTML without CSS?
    This is what I was going to ask him lol.

JavaScript is not hard, and it's pretty fun! Good for beginners, mainly for developing web applications. I use JavaScript with a framework called NW.js for deploying desktop applicaions to make games for fun. I would recommend beginners to learn JavaScript.

- - - Updated - - -

JavaScript won't really be the language that you'll create games in. Of course, it's possible, but it's simply not practical.

Well, I write games with JavaScript.
    IGN: ChickyBro

- - - Updated - - -

In my opinion, Javascript is meant more for websites, but yes, it is possible to make simple games using Javascript. If you want to make larger-scale games, or use more game-specific features, I recommend you find a programming language or game IDE to make games in.

If you're learning full stack (HTML, CSS, JS), then I recommend that you try making a small scale website for practice.

I started with Java (not the same thing), so Javascript isn't really my favorite, but definitely pretty simple.
    "I...It's not empty words I'm after. There was something else I desired all along. Not mutual understanding, friendship, companionship, or anything of the sort. I simply wish to understand... because being in the dark terrifies me. It's an awfully self-indulgement, egoistic, and arrogant wish. ... If it's possible to have a relationship where you're free to burden one another with that repulsive self-gratification...I know that it's out of the question! ... Even so, I want something genuine".

I learnt basic HTML last year, currently studying swift in school, planning to learn some languages in summer including JS
    I don't play this game anymore
    I was LightX
    Discord: Elyrion#8207
    Pet Rock Server (Rocky's Hangout): https://discord.gg/ZSJc2hS
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Elyrions/

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by ChickyBro View Post
    Well, I write games with JavaScript.
    As I mentioned before, it's not like you're forbidden to or it's impossible; it's just a bad language to write games in.

As I mentioned before, it's not like you're forbidden to or it's impossible; it's just a bad language to write games in.
    Cos it's like the only language I know lol. Games made with JavaScript are not that bad though, but performance sucks.
    IGN: ChickyBro

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by ChickyBro View Post
    Cos it's like the only language I know lol. Games made with JavaScript are not that bad though, but performance sucks.
    Exactly - performance sucks, lol. I am not sure about NW.js, but from experience I know that Electron is pretty bulky.

Now try Assembly language

Signature v9.0

Pixel art by Parpul
    http://i.imgur.com/QDGkiys.png

Squire

HTML is quite easy to learn. You can finish special courses or you can take it yourself. It is enough to download a book or watch a few video tutorials. But I study it at colllege, and working on some paper research on this topic help with it I got from edusson.com
    Last edited by davem88; 05-16-2019 at 04:28 AM.

Wow this made me start my JS courses a little bit earlier...
    I don't play this game anymore
    I was LightX
    Discord: Elyrion#8207
    Pet Rock Server (Rocky's Hangout): https://discord.gg/ZSJc2hS
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Elyrions/

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlid View Post
    How did you learn HTML without CSS? I guess you could do everything within the HTML document, but honestly, at that point, it is as simple as transferring everything to a CSS stylesheet and referencing it.

Either way, JavaScript is pretty simple and my personal favorite. It is entirely logic-based and straightforward. I am learning Python right now, and it is insufferably annoying.

Good luck in your endeavors!
    Though the more programming languages you know, the better you code? Like can you mix languages together to develop something?

- - - Updated - - -

Let's start off with a few facts:

• JavaScript is a high-level programming language, meaning they're easy-to-read, and are easily closer to human-readable language than to machine code.
    • You use JavaScript mainly to develop websites. If you want to develop desktop applications, you may want to download the node.js runtime and electron framework. Electron is a framework that Discord client runs on. Basically, Electron allows you to create desktop applications with JavaScript.
    • Javascript is an uncompiled language.
    • JavaScript won't really be the language that you'll create games in. Of course, it's possible, but it's simply not practical.

I think that you should still learn JavaScript, regardless if you want to create games or not - it's a great language to begin your programming journey with, as it's easily understandable, and will make learning new, better languages faster. Personally, I started with JavaScript years ago; today, I know these programming languages: Javascript, Java, a bit of C# and I am currently learning C++. Planning to learn assembler afterwards.

If you want to develop games, I think C# or C++ or perhaps even Java will be the language for you; however, as I stated previously: small steps. Start with Javascript, because it's a great starting point for newbies.

I recommend Codecademy for learning basics of JavaScript, by the way.

Feel free to ask some more questions, and i'll try to answer them when I have some time.
    also, if I learn Java script then I can directly do a website? do i need to learn some other things before i do a website?
    edit: nvm i'm currently researching about the basics of doing a website
    Goodbye.

Master Sorcerer

Though the more programming languages you know, the better you code? Like can you mix languages together to develop something?

- - - Updated - - -

also, if I learn Java script then I can directly do a website? do i need to learn some other things before i do a website?
    edit: nvm i'm currently researching about the basics of doing a website
    Well, the more programming languages you know, the more you simply know about programming altogether.

If you know HTML, CSS and JavaScript, you can pretty much design websites, some JS libraries may come in handy and that's it.

I used to programming before ( c++ and c#)

I'm currently learning HTML5 and, boy, do I even progress on this thing?

I do graphic designing for living and I got asked quite frequently regarding of :
    "Do you code, though?"
    -Clients