Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #newForumWeWant

Banned

Default #newForumWeWant

I used to love vBulletin. It's an amazing forum software, I agree. But interacting with the forum on mobile has really become a burden these days...

But, what if we could change all of that? Ditch vBulletin altogether and go for a modern forum software?
    Here, I present to you a demo of what our new forum software could look like: https://forum.growstocks.xyz/public/

Here are some features you will love!

And more, and more, and more...
    #newForumWeWant
    Last edited by GrowStone; 05-23-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Banned

#newForumWeDontWant

I'm not into the mobile version, but it sounds as an upgrade. Nice work!
    IGN: Mutch
    Level: 56
    "In seeking happiness for others, you will find it in yourself"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mutch View Post
    I'm not into the mobile version, but it sounds as an upgrade. Nice work!
    Thanks! I actually used a forum software called Flarum

This could be neat. I'm a fan of vBulletin though and I have never had any problems with it. All it really needs is some work in fixing it up to be compatible with mobile devices. Still, it's a nice idea. More emojis would be awesome, dark mode.. tags. But do we really need an entirely new forum platform for that? I don't think so.
    IGN: Cloverlord
    Current level: 107
    Discord: Cloverleaf#0258
    Instagram: @cloverlordgt
    My shop world: LIQUIDMARKET.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverlord View Post
    This could be neat. I'm a fan of vBulletin though and I have never had any problems with it. All it really needs is some work in fixing it up to be compatible with mobile devices. Still, it's a nice idea. More emojis would be awesome, dark mode.. tags. But do we really need an entirely new forum platform for that? I don't think so.
    Happy you like the idea. But if it is easy to switch *while preserving the data* wouldn't you push the YES button?

Banned

Yeah, they'll definitely exchange working vBulletin for unreliable beta software that's unoptimized for large communities.

Only thing they should do, in my opinion, is actually update vBulletin, but that's for security reasons.

Look like discord, but not bad
    Be careful whom you trust and play safe and smart as always

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by houzteR View Post
    Yeah, they'll definitely exchange working vBulletin for unreliable beta software that's unoptimized for large communities.

Only thing they should do, in my opinion, is actually update vBulletin, but that's for security reasons.
    If you're really against Flarum because it's in beta (though alot of people use in production like this forum), there's Discourse which looks similar
    https://www.discourse.org
    https://meta.discourse.org

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mirbi View Post
    Look like discord, but not bad
    Is it because of the night mode?

Banned

This is about at
    Code:
    Cringe of GT Forums ---------------------(here)-------- Elegance of Reddit in dark mode
    Tried it. It's not perfect, but it's much better than what we have and I would actually prefer it.

Still more of #newForumIWant, I wouldn't speak for many others if I were you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by whatsisname View Post
    This is about at
    Code:
    Cringe of GT Forums ---------------------(here)-------- Elegance of Reddit in dark mode
    Tried it. It's not perfect, but it's much better than what we have and I would actually prefer it.

Still more of #newForumIWant, I wouldn't speak for many others if I were you.

Didn't expect you coming
    https://i.ibb.co/P5S48PP/Screenshot-...434-Chrome.jpg
    Well I agree it should be an "I", but let's see if we can gather enough people to become "we"

- - - Updated - - -

On a sidenote, for siggy lovers, yes, there is a plugin that allows signatures in flarum/discourse.

- - - Updated - - -

Aaaaaand feel free to ask me questions about the forum if you ever feel the need to.

Banned

Bet you that this software has more security loopholes than the outdated vBulletin that GT forums use.
    Why even consider using some goddamn probably bloated "mOdErN" beta software for a business where you need reliability?

Also, pardon if im wrong, but weren't you working at 000webhost? You should know better!

Banned

Bet you that this software has more security loopholes than the outdated vBulletin that GT forums use.
    Why even consider using some goddamn probably bloated "mOdErN" beta software for a business where you need reliability?

Also, pardon if im wrong, but weren't you working at 000webhost? You should know better!
    We use Discourse (the one I suggested we use if we don't want Flarum) at 000webhost, and we haven't got any major issues yet, considering we have 1.8 million pageviews per month, 60 new users per day, and around 90k forum users in total.
    Current forum version is v2.3.0.beta9 +401

Banned

Just going to pass this information from my friend Nate...

Did you know that GameGuyDK's account was compromised thanks to his password being stored, plain-text, in a leaked 000webhost database?

Banned

Just going to pass this information from my friend Nate...

Did you know that GameGuyDK's account was compromised thanks to his password being stored, plain-text, in a leaked 000webhost database?
    Which does not relate to the forum since the leaked information was from the 000webhost services, plus numerous steps have been taken to stop that from happening in the future which you can read about here. If you want to discuss about 000webhost just PM me, you're going off topic here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GrowStone View Post
    Which does not relate to the forum since the leaked information was from the 000webhost services, plus numerous steps have been taken to stop that from happening in the future which you can read about here. If you want to discuss about 000webhost just PM me, you're going off topic here.
    Apologies for possibly derailing this thread, lets get back on track:

I would not deem Discourse nor Flarum good forum software. It's really ugly; it has that cliche modern look to make it look "better" when in reality it's way more bloated than vBulletin. Flarum is beta, so definitely not viable for forums like these.

Now I don't think we should even attempt to replace vBulletin. It does its job really well.. Moving to a whole new forum software would be pointless, especially that realistically, except possibly a better UI, it can provide nothing that vBulletin can't. And I'd say that while vBulletin has its exploits, i'm sure if people would actually be bothered to exploit, Discourse would definitely meet the same fate.

Banned

Apologies for possibly derailing this thread, lets get back on track:

I would not deem Discourse nor Flarum good forum software. It's really ugly; it has that cliche modern look to make it look "better" when in reality it's way more bloated than vBulletin. Flarum is beta, so definitely not viable for forums like these.

Now I don't think we should even attempt to replace vBulletin. It does its job really well.. Moving to a whole new forum software would be pointless, especially that realistically, except possibly a better UI, it can provide nothing that vBulletin can't. And I'd say that while vBulletin has its exploits, i'm sure if people would actually be bothered to exploit, Discourse would definitely meet the same fate.
    I do agree that both forums are still in beta, and it would be great if vBulletin was mobile responsive. But still, having modern forum software does not hurt as they offer some cool features such as conversation like live updates, ease of use, etc.... Aaaand I don't really get what you mean by "Bloated"

Banned

Good thing I used a temp email and a generic !P@ssw0rd.

While I like the direction that this project is taking the Forums to, I think that a dedicated subreddit is the way to go. Outsourcing all security concerns to them is just another plus.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by whatsisname View Post
    Good thing I used a temp email and a generic !P@ssw0rd.

While I like the direction that this project is taking the Forums to, I think that a dedicated subreddit is the way to go. Outsourcing all security concerns to them is just another plus.
    Passwords are hashed and salted. Do you really think people still insert passwords in plain text?
    Your password is the 2nd one. Of course you'll notice it's not what you chose because it's hashed.
    https://i.ibb.co/wpFvj8F/Screenshot-...012-Chrome.jpg

Can u atleast just out spoilers because its hard to scroll down but i think present forum is good alr
    I love how people would break friendships for the sake of some yellow lock

When you see me post that doesnt mean im back and active again