View Poll Results: Should the new BFG rule stay?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 20.88%
  • No

72 79.12%
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: [MERGED DISCUSSION] BFG World Anti-Autofarming Measure

Lesser Wizard

guess whos not getting enough sales

Quote Originally Posted by ScarizardGT View Post
    guess whos not getting enough sales
    Lol, your probably right.

BFG= Free gems to players: Which means no need to buy Ubisoft's gems

IGN:MasterCj

Quote Originally Posted by Musher View Post
    people are worried about bfg too much

trust me buy+ worlds are much worse

I saw a buy+ world get nuked after 2 players were trade scamming

yup. if random people scam in ur world it will be nuked

I saw it happen with my own eyes

Stop spreading false info a mod already told you that's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Musher View Post
    people are worried about bfg too much

trust me buy+ worlds are much worse

I saw a buy+ world get nuked after 2 players were trade scamming

yup. if random people scam in ur world it will be nuked

I saw it happen with my own eyes

That's like saying "a mod just banned a person because he said that he doesn't like his oven, i saw it, he got banned right after he said it!"
    this is my signature
    i can choose whatever i want to do here
    and you cant stop me

i choose to do nothing

Quote Originally Posted by GaysD View Post
    You forgot your little mini mod phrase at the end

If you were referring to the part where I say 'thanks for reading'
    He/she pissed me off and made me retype my statement, reworded. So I didn't want to say thanks because I couldn't be bothered typing all that crap again. I regret even trying to help. And is it a bad thing is I say thanks at the end of the statement? I'm trying to help make Growtopia a less toxic + more friendly place. Sheeh.
    I love it when I get picked on for saying thanks.

Sorry if I sound rude. I got my exam results back today and I did crap in one of my subjects :/ but that is irrelevant and nobody actually cares.
    I can't change my past. Thats why I live in the present and fix my future.

Growtopian name- FurtherMaths

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Isn't a mini-mod that item that makes sure no one drops items in a world? What's that got to do with this?

If you were referring to the part where I say 'thanks for reading'
    He/she pissed me off and made me retype my statement reworded. So I didn't want to say thanks because I couldn't be bothered typing all that crap again. I regret even trying to help

Sorry if I sound rude. I got my exam results back today and I did crap in one of my subjects :/ but that is irrelevant and nobody actually cares.
    Ah I understand, I was only having a bit of fun, my exams start Wednesday and I'm not feeling all that great for some of them haha

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Then in that case, I can't help any further. I was giving you an idea for your benefit only. I apologise if you/I misunderstood.

As the other guy said, if its an open design then I don't think auto farmers will even bother with your world because people will just take their gems or troll them with death spikes or something.
    BFG isn’t a one time thing. Mods can’t always give us warning everytime they spot an autofarmer in the world and expect us to ban them. Most of the times there are just too many to focus on and we might be busy harvesting/planting trees while they are autofarming

Quote Originally Posted by GaysD View Post
    Ah I understand, I was only having a bit of fun, my exams start Wednesday and I'm not feeling all that great for some of them haha
    Ah ok. No problem. Good luck. If you need help in maths, pm me in game.

Hey all - hope you're enjoying your day/evening so far!

I'd like to weigh in and explain things in a bit more depth, as there seems to be a very very big misunderstanding on how BFGs work. Before I get started though, just a gentle reminder that the best way to give your opinion is in a positive, constructive tone.

Let's analyze it this way:

You own a business and your employee is doing something illegal.

You own a BFG and a player is using an auto-farm program.

In both cases, as the owner, you are liable for your worker's actions. If your workers are doing something illegal and you're gaining profit from it, you ARE held responsible.

"But Odric, I can't be there 24/7 to make sure there are no auto-farmers."

We don't expect you to be online 24/7! You have the option to boot everybody and remove them from your lock before you leave for the day/night. If you can't control your own BFG, you shouldn't own one. Most businesses close overnight while the boss is gone, or they will have Managers available who can keep everything in check.

TL;DR - BFGs are a form of business, as you gain profit from your workers. You are responsible for who you give WL access to.

In other words - this is not our attempt at shutting down BFGs. It's our attempt at preventing players from gaining an unfair advantage through illegal means. Does that mean that BFG owners will need to be more vigilant? Absolutely. But in the long run, this will cut down on auto-farmers and help keep the economy stabilized.

If you have any questions about this, make sure you keep it positive and constructive! I will answer to the best of my abilities.

*equips flame shield*

~ Odric

Wise words.

Quote Originally Posted by Odric View Post

I'd like to weigh in and explain things in a bit more depth, as there seems to be a very very big misunderstanding on how BFGs work. Before I get started though, just a gentle reminder that the best way to give your opinion is in a positive, constructive tone.

In both cases, as the owner, you are liable for your worker's actions. If your workers are doing something illegal and you're gaining profit from it, you ARE held responsible.

We don't expect you to be online 24/7! You have the option to boot everybody and remove them from your lock before you leave for the day/night. If you can't control your own BFG, you shouldn't own one. Most businesses close overnight while the boss is gone, or they will have Managers available who can keep everything in check.

TL;DR - BFGs are a form of business, as you gain profit from your workers. You are responsible for who you give WL access to.

In other words - this is not our attempt at shutting down BFGs. It's our attempt at preventing players from gaining an unfair advantage through illegal means. Does that mean that BFG owners will need to be more vigilant? Absolutely. But in the long run, this will cut down on auto-farmers and help keep the economy stabilized.

If you have any questions about this, make sure you keep it positive and constructive! I will answer to the best of my abilities.

*equips flame shield*

~ Odric
    Difference being we have no way of reliably checking that someone is effectively autofarming especially with dozens asynchronously working. Therefore enforcing this is not possible and what we can do at most is tell people not to. It would be better to punish owners not telling people one way or another not to do so. We don't have control over that unless we decide to ban everyone in the world.

These "workers", which are in reality just random people joining a world may abuse of that.
    A recipe finder. A GT Wikia Admin. Playing since Feb 2013.
    Level: 125 - L Title/Dragon/DK Wings Done - Sponsored Mystical Etherboard
    IGN: TK69

*equips flame shield*

~ Odric
    What about buy+ world owners? Shouldn't they be watching for spammers? Also what about those who hire autofarmers to get bfg worlds nuked?
    hi im snow how you doin?

wouldnt doubt it ppl start selling bots to autofarm in someones world to get them banned
    ex- you dont like noobman, he has a bfg
    you pay hackerman 20 wls to autofarm in his bfg, getting his world banned

world : VEXESGT
    got unbanned, growid : vexes

llc

Quote Originally Posted by Rush
    what to heck
    -Rush, April 21, 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMehMeh View Post
    wat in moderation
    MrMehMeh, May 9, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by SnowBlizter View Post
    What about buy+ world owners? Shouldn't they be watching for spammers?
    They don't get profit out of them, instead they just lose it. It's kind of disservice not to ban them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Climper View Post
    They don't get profit out of them, instead they just lose it.
    *cough* *Overpriced vending machines* *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by SnowBlizter View Post
    What about buy+ world owners? Shouldn't they be watching for spammers? Also what about those who hire autofarmers to get bfg worlds nuked?
    Auto-Farmers are invited into your world. They can't be given access without the World Owner's permission. If someone was hired by another player to go into your world and using an auto-farmer, you're still the one who gave that player access to your BFG.

Spammers are kinda like cockroaches. They're uninvited. You squash one and two more show up. Nobody wants them around.

The best you can do as a player is to world ban the spammers from being in your world if you catch them. We understand that you can't be there 24/7 to monitor your chat, which is why we don't take action on worlds with spam in it (see BUY or ABCD for examples).

Trust that we're doing our best to keep the pests out of your worlds. Of course, we are constantly looking for new ways to innovate and moderate to keep Growtopia a fun and positive place for you all to stay. If you have any ideas or suggestions on ways to improve the process, we mods always read the forums and brainstorm ideas with each other!

Hopefully this helps clear up your concerns, SnowBlizter.

~ Odric

Auto-Farmers are invited into your world. They can't be given access without the World Owner's permission. If someone was hired by another player to go into your world and using an auto-farmer, you're still the one who gave that player access to your BFG.

~ Odric
    what if they dont tell u theyre an autofarmer until u leave the world and then they start autofarming

world : VEXESGT
    got unbanned, growid : vexes

llc

Quote Originally Posted by Rush
    what to heck
    -Rush, April 21, 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMehMeh View Post
    wat in moderation
    MrMehMeh, May 9, 2017

Master Sorcerer

Spammers are kinda like cockroaches. They're uninvited. You squash one and two more show up. Nobody wants them around.

The best you can do as a player is to world ban the spammers from being in your world if you catch them. We understand that you can't be there 24/7 to monitor your chat, which is why we don't take action on worlds with spam in it (see BUY or ABCD for examples).

Trust that we're doing our best to keep the pests out of your worlds. Of course, we are constantly looking for new ways to innovate and moderate to keep Growtopia a fun and positive place for you all to stay. If you have any ideas or suggestions on ways to improve the process, we mods always read the forums and brainstorm ideas with each other!

~ Odric
    Are we talking about public rooms or BFG adminship here? Autofarmers in BFGs are uninvited pests, just like spammers. Most BFGs use self serve steam rooms, autofarmers don’t need a world owner’s permission.
    This space is empty, just like the space in my skull.

~ Odric
    What if we are afk-ing, or away from our BFG world when it is active. How are we to watch spammers in multiple free bfg worlds at once? We also can't background check 20 people per world(their "invitation"), especially in a free BFG. Of course we won't give autofarmers access to the world lock, but ANYONE can join and break in BFG itself. How are we supposed to monitor every single autofarmer, especially if we only get 4 strikes.

On an average day, I ban 2 autofarmers. That is just counting the ones that I catch(which is only possible when the magplant is empty), not to mention that many of the autofarmers leave before the breaking session is up(if they do). If these autofarmers are caught before I can catch them, I would be banned in 2 days.

The only plausible "invitation" for breakers is to put a "no autofarmer or ban" sign, stating that it is against the world rules. However, some people will ignore this, making it too challenging for BFG owners to maintain a 0 autofarming world.

Quote Originally Posted by GrowStone View Post
    *cough* *Overpriced vending machines* *cough*
    Let's say owner is selling overpriced item and someone wants to buy it, but there are no other sellers in the world, except this 1 spammer, of course selling it cheaper. The buyer will probably buy it from the spammer, resulting in the owner losing profit.