Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question: Is price manipulation illegal?

so i owned buy+world so im making the market price by everyone selling for is it alright?

Knight

theres this owner of buybuddy who manipulating the price to make the price of it rise, even tho i already warned him.he is insisting that its hard to make even tho its not, because i made my own item

Quote Originally Posted by Oakum View Post
    Definition of price manipulation in this case: owner of a trade world ignores the market price or material cost of an item, lowers the price on the sign whenever he wish to buy, and increases the price on the sign whenever he wishes to sell.
    idk xd growstocks is always teh best choice for checking prices

Quote Originally Posted by gustav30103_gt View Post
    Hello dear Growtopian

I read this entire thread and didn't see anyone who mentioned it so here we go:

There's a rule in Growtopia that states "Accounts that lie, host fake games or trickery to mistreat other players is an offense" Which mean its technically illegal to lie about the real price. So to answer your question price manipulation can be illegal according to this rule under /rules

Your Friend Gustav30103

Main world THORNICO
    I'll give this a proper answer, there has never been a real price, all prices are made up, the only real price which you can refer to is the gem store as its official.

Many players have the misunderstanding that there are "fake" and "real" prices. Where do prices originate from? From players of course! It all depends on the demand and supply so price is subjective.

Yes, manipulation of the prices/market isn't nice and touches on one's own moral value but is it fundamentally wrong? No, it's business.
    IGN :LI0NHEART

The combo you have all been waiting for.
    I know its beautiful, no need to thank me,you are all welcome.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NekoRei View Post
    If the price has no impact on other buyworlds who are selling the same item then it is not really manipulation. For example if the world owner decided to sell items in his world in a cheaper price then it is his risk JUST AS LONG AS the price is not so far from the current market price. However, if the world owner is selling at a very very expensive price then it is not allowed esp. if it is really out of the current market price (eg: ITEM A market price is 5dls, world owner is selling it for 10dls) then we can warn the world owner. If owner still won't change the price then we can ban them.

BUT REMEMBER, it is still up to the consumer if they want to patronize this world owner and buy from him/her. You guys have a choice still, perhaps go to an honest seller instead.
    Neko do you even know how this community works? You mean selling an item which is 50 wls for 5 dls this is disgusting, hideous sorry I am being respectful but this you don't know how stuff work. You can't just block off our profit so you are telling that you will warn a guy who's selling for 10 dls this is ridiculous. Please think twice before putting non sense empty rules

I used to support you, but BFG and these type of rules you just visit threads and when your mood is bad
    you just select threads and make new non sense empty rules, disgusting. This is destroying our fun

Quote Originally Posted by TOBYL View Post
    Neko do you even know how this community works? You mean selling an item which is 50 wls for 5 dls this is disgusting, hideous sorry I am being respectful but this you don't know how stuff work. You can't just block off our profit so you are telling that you will warn a guy who's selling for 10 dls this is ridiculous. Please think twice before putting non sense empty rules

I used to support you, but BFG and these type of rules you just visit threads and when your mood is bad
    you just select threads and make new non sense empty rules, disgusting. This is destroying our fun
    Ubisoft should not interfere with the market at all, and i agree with what you said, NekoRei is just making up rules that make no sense

Also banning someone for selling an item at a higher price, when they add the Royal lock to allow this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NekoRei View Post
    If the price has no impact on other buyworlds who are selling the same item then it is not really manipulation. For example if the world owner decided to sell items in his world in a cheaper price then it is his risk JUST AS LONG AS the price is not so far from the current market price. However, if the world owner is selling at a very very expensive price then it is not allowed esp. if it is really out of the current market price (eg: ITEM A market price is 5dls, world owner is selling it for 10dls) then we can warn the world owner. If owner still won't change the price then we can ban them.

BUT REMEMBER, it is still up to the consumer if they want to patronize this world owner and buy from him/her. You guys have a choice still, perhaps go to an honest seller instead.
    This only works if the market price for the item stays at the same value from the moment its released, correct me if I'm wrong. Let me take my hat off to the __________ in advance for creating a official graph for all item prices in Growtopia so that we may refer and update ourselves on the latest prices so as to not go over "the current market price".
    Just make sure to not double the price of the item and remember, it's better to find "honest" sellers instead of the dishonest world owner / players

Don't worry you you are free to choose your own choice if you sell your items "cheaply" it's fine but if its "expensive" be warned.
    IGN :LI0NHEART

The combo you have all been waiting for.
    I know its beautiful, no need to thank me,you are all welcome.

Many people here keep bringing up the demand and supply thing here, and let me tell you this.

The market is not purely dependent on demand and supply alone. Growtopia's market theoretically runs as a liberalist(a little bit of mercantilist and marxisist) market, where every course of trade and action is depended on whats called the 'invisible hand'.

Therefore, replying to op's question: price manipulation should not give a big impact to the community and economy, with one condition which is that the market of an item should not be in a monopoly. <= as long as theres no monopoly on a certain item, the price will eventually fix itself; price manipulation wont give much of a lasting impact (hence why many people hesitate to sell their item when the price drops all of a sudden).

Now the situation is different when there is a monopoly. The seller alone can dictate the price to whatever he likes (especially if the item has a high demand).

^ this is most likely the scenario Nekorei wanted to explain.

In real life, the governing body of a country has the right to intervene in the market and set rules (in form of quota, tariff, etc.) When there is a need to. Hence in growtopia's case, when a price is somehow manipulated to a ridiculous price, and the market for that item receives a shock.

I wasnt planning on giving a reply but there are too much 12iq kids bashing on Nekorei for her proposed solution and course of action.
    IGN: Blueprint
    https://i.imgflip.com/1ovqdq.gif https://i.imgflip.com/1ovrff.gif
    When the game progresses faster than you ^

http://imgur.com/F0VJflF.jpg

Nooooo, there not.
    IGN: 1NB4

If you see someone with the MediaZeus name Ingame,it's not me. I changed my name to 1NB4!

My new forum account! Please click me !