Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let’s see how this goes…

Default Let’s see how this goes…

My account was compromised. I do not need a security lecture — I think I did well enough and changed my password relatively often. However, it is particularly devastating in that the perpetrator damaged things that cannot be replaced: worlds, masses of certain blocks, thousands of seeds, growtokens. While my Fort Knox of six hundred diamond locks (protected by locks from like ten different accounts) is safe, it would take months of searching and cost a ton to replace everything, including hundreds of unicorns that are practically impossible to find.

I would dismiss sympathies because that is not my intent in divulging such details. I think if my account is not significantly restored, years of progress, friendships, and nostalgia are simply lost. There would be no sense continuing, as I would no longer have the will — as sparse as it already was — to log on and do anything. My life is becoming full — I graduate from high school today — and it may just be a signal to move on. I have thoroughly enjoyed playing, through grievance and frustration, but I fear there is no recovery.

I would still enjoy (probably not enjoy, but the point is comprehensible) to pursue the forums, sifting for the more interesting topics and denouncing those with no substance. I will post the results of my account reclamation, but do not expect to find me in-game.

Tragedies aside, there is another problem I would like to discuss. This game, being an MMORPG, is luring to cybersecurity threats. I believe I took sufficient measures to secure my account, and I still ended up a victim. But it does not stop there — petty hackers and macro scripts run about this game with minimal curtailment or fear of punishment. Something feels like it is lacking; even though I support community policing, I feel implemented detection measures are inadequate. I have had threats by self-proclaimed hackers that wanted my account, and while I know the fundamentals of account security, users behind these threats could actually be versed in their supposed craft. If changing passwords after every encounter with hacker is what constitutes security, I am not sure that is reasonable at all.

Well, as I said, I will be around on the forums. My fortune has been left with my cousin, and I plan not to use my account for a few days. Wish me luck!
    Been playing Growtopia since 2010.

I speak when I need to. Don’t count me out yet!

Contact Info:

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlid View Post
    My account was compromised. I do not need a security lecture — I think I did well enough and changed my password relatively often. However, it is particularly devastating in that the perpetrator damaged things that cannot be replaced: worlds, masses of certain blocks, thousands of seeds, growtokens. While my Fort Knox of six hundred diamond locks (protected by locks from like ten different accounts) is safe, it would take months of searching and cost a ton to replace everything, including hundreds of unicorns that are practically impossible to find.

I would dismiss sympathies because that is not my intent in divulging such details. I think if my account is not significantly restored, years of progress, friendships, and nostalgia are simply lost. There would be no sense continuing, as I would no longer have the will — as sparse as it already was — to log on and do anything. My life is becoming full — I graduate from high school today — and it may just be a signal to move on. I have thoroughly enjoyed playing, through grievance and frustration, but I fear there is no recovery.

I would still enjoy (probably not enjoy, but the point is comprehensible) to pursue the forums, sifting for the more interesting topics and denouncing those with no substance. I will post the results of my account reclamation, but do not expect to find me in-game.

Tragedies aside, there is another problem I would like to discuss. This game, being an MMORPG, is luring to cybersecurity threats. I believe I took sufficient measures to secure my account, and I still ended up a victim. But it does not stop there — petty hackers and macro scripts run about this game with minimal curtailment or fear of punishment. Something feels like it is lacking; even though I support community policing, I feel implemented detection measures are inadequate. I have had threats by self-proclaimed hackers that wanted my account, and while I know the fundamentals of account security, users behind these threats could actually be versed in their supposed craft. If changing passwords after every encounter with hacker is what constitutes security, I am not sure that is reasonable at all.

Well, as I said, I will be around on the forums. My fortune has been left with my cousin, and I plan not to use my account for a few days. Wish me luck!
    firstly, all moderator applications are fake.
    secondly, everyone's already aware of the problem you're bringing up. you could help by providing solutions instead.
    third on my shopping list: you forgot to leave the name of the world that has ur dbox.

Quote Originally Posted by sipsipsi69 View Post
    secondly, everyone's already aware of the problem you're bringing up. you could help by providing solutions instead.
    third on my shopping list: you forgot to leave the name of the world that has ur dbox.
    Well, I am certainly not dumb enough to fall for a phishing scheme.

As for your second point, I am no cybersecurity expert, nor will I pretend to be one. There are people with a much better understanding than I that can improve the situation in a meaningful way. That was just an observation that this problem is really out-of-hand.

I do not want donations. I have nearly six hundred diamond locks. Like I said, I had items that are not really replaceable. I appreciate what could be either genuine concern or condescending humor though.

Contact Info:

Ah well...
    F for Ohlid.
    Why are we still here?
    Just to suffer?

How do conversations with support usually go? Has anyone found success?

Contact Info:

Hackers of any sort are quite limited to what they can do. Those who use cheats are banned through reports or detection, which both have issues of their own. Reports lead to manual punishment by the hand of the staff and are slower but much more reliable. Automatic detection and banning are sometimes unreliable, if too sensitive - which is good for banning cheaters - it can detect innocent players and punish them unwarrantedly. Automation is difficult and resides in figuring out how cheaters code their programmes and counteracting it, but sadly, those cheaters can always one-up the anti-cheat detection system and bypass it, thus creating an endless back and forth situation between the system and cheaters. Ultimately, more moderators would help prevent such from occurring due to their reliability but are limited by needing rest.

Those who oppose you are most likely kids who attempt at scaring you - realistically, you rarely find the Machiavellian type. The most you can do is avoid contact with them and avoid their tricks. From my own knowledge (ironically I am not so techy), they are limited by your actions. The only source of account breaching that is at Ubisoft's fault was a scandal in the past where passwords of player's accounts were made accessible. This is only a problem for those who haven't changed their password since the incident. Additionally, they can obtain your e-mail address (and possibly passwords if they are indifferent) from other breached domains if they can link it to your Growtopia account.

Ultimately, one of the most reliable protection schemes going is advanced account protection. There is little evidence of it failing, or any reason for it to, and you can put your faith in it quite well. If you are so concerned for your cybersecurity, look into it. After all, cybersecurity isn't flawless and you quite commonly see breaching.

If you certainly believe that your account's breaching was at the fault of Ubisoft, you can ask support for them to run an investigation, though you may have to try and avoid getting automatic replies due to your topic at hand.
    33 WOTDs won.
    3 Competitions placed in.

Discord Tag: Hrvy#7777

My last conversation went like:

"Hey i got a problem"

"You already told me your problem, i'm just going to ignore everything you say now."

'lol what? hello? Helloooo?"
    Support Alex:

Alex is a C5-C6 Quadriplegic and gaming always has been a hobby of him. So he shares how he plays and adapts to the rest of the world!

https://www.youtube.com/user/xL1f30n3nd/

Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    Hackers of any sort are quite limited to what they can do. Those who use cheats are banned through reports or detection, which both have issues of their own. Reports lead to manual punishment by the hand of the staff and are slower but much more reliable. Automatic detection and banning are sometimes unreliable, if too sensitive - which is good for banning cheaters - it can detect innocent players and punish them unwarrantedly. Automation is difficult and resides in figuring out how cheaters code their programmes and counteracting it, but sadly, those cheaters can always one-up the anti-cheat detection system and bypass it, thus creating an endless back and forth situation between the system and cheaters. Ultimately, more moderators would help prevent such from occurring due to their reliability but are limited by needing rest.

Those who oppose you are most likely kids who attempt at scaring you - realistically, you rarely find the Machiavellian type. The most you can do is avoid contact with them and avoid their tricks. From my own knowledge (ironically I am not so techy), they are limited by your actions. The only source of account breaching that is at Ubisoft's fault was a scandal in the past where passwords of player's accounts were made accessible. This is only a problem for those who haven't changed their password since the incident. Additionally, they can obtain your e-mail address (and possibly passwords if they are indifferent) from other breached domains if they can link it to your Growtopia account.

Ultimately, one of the most reliable protection schemes going is advanced account protection. There is little evidence of it failing, or any reason for it to, and you can put your faith in it quite well. If you are so concerned for your cybersecurity, look into it. After all, cybersecurity isn't flawless and you quite commonly see breaching.

If you certainly believe that your account's breaching was at the fault of Ubisoft, you can ask support for them to run an investigation, though you may have to try and avoid getting automatic replies due to your topic at hand.
    Well, thank you for the regards. As aforementioned, my passwords are unique for everything, and there was no breach in any other account as far as I know (as if that even matters since passwords were unique). I cannot fathom any possible scenario where I failed to protect my account; though, I realize the probability of some vindictive psychopath running a password-guessing script to guess a password over ten characters in length successfully is extremely low.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoFire View Post
    My last conversation went like:

"Hey i got a problem"

"You already told me your problem, i'm just going to ignore everything you say now."

'lol what? hello? Helloooo?"
    So it has not gotten any better since my last encounter. Yikes.

Contact Info:

Quote Originally Posted by sipsipsi69 View Post
    Yeah, Josh has always wanted to become a mod since 2010.

- - - Updated - - -

So you're quitting after playing the game for exactly 9 years now?
    セックス大好
    ANTIHERO WAS THE REAL OG

My experience with support was:

*appeal suspension*

No reply for months

*ask kaurkal to check email*

Kaurkal checks email

*instant blacklist*

That was a year ago

I dont know about tech stuff but good luck with life and gt
    I love how people would break friendships for the sake of some yellow lock

When you see me post that doesnt mean im back and active again