Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IELTS examinations

Default IELTS examinations

How do I start this thread... welp. It's been a while, and the sole reason why I'm here was because ChickyBro(s)(???? sorry xd) mentioned the forums and I went like, "WELL it actually has been soooome time..." so yeah; Hi.

Anyways, small update on my life: I graduated high school and was going to Bina Nusantara a.k.a. Binus to pursue IT, it's quite up there for Indonesian universities that specify in IT. I think the university's in the top 10 or something? Actually I wanted to go to ITB but my mom's quite skeptical of public universities so I couldn't. But all of these plans were destroyed some time last month when my parents suddenly wanted me to go abroad instead.

I just took the IELTS test 6 days ago and it was horrible. I don't know whether I'll reach an overall band of 6.5 or not (that's the requirement for Monash University in Melbourne) and I might celebrate my screw up in 7 days when the results are out. If you guys are taking IELTS (I know a few people online who plan on taking it), just STUDY. Actually study. I barely studied; I took 20 hours of tuition but that's about it. Frankly speaking, my English isn't that bad -- I'd rate it 6/10 tbh. IELTS is like several levels up my reach though, especially with all those time limits and specific topics that you might have never read about. I did the worst in speaking as I was stuttering all the way (I stutter a lot in English and I have no idea why) and I spoke waaaay too fast because I was nervous.

If anyone's taking the test in the future, feel free to ask me how doomed I am from the scale of 1 to 10. I'll update this thread if I remember by the 26th, lol. I mean, I can give some tips I guess.

Moral of the story: Don't be a parent that suddenly changes your child's college plans and actually plan ahead (a year before at the very least) to avoid any gap years. If you're graduating high school soon, PLEASE PLAN AHEAD AND MAKE SURE YOUR PARENTS ARE OKAY WITH YOUR DECISION. I was in a lot of stress with all the sudden change of plans, especially that most of the prestigious universities had already closed their undergraduate applications. Also perhaps be really certain about how you're leading your life even though you're probably only 16 or 17 by the time you graduate.

To be frank I have no idea why I wrote this story of how my parents single-handedly (ok more like double since there are two of them) ruined my plans and discarding all my scholarships, I guess I just kind of miss the forums and want to start any kind of discussion. It's more like a ramble, even, than proper story-telling.
    IGN: ElectroDream
    Discord: Dreamy#2149
    IG: @dreamy.cy (private), @electrodreamy is dead
    WOTD count: 22
    Forumers' VIP pass: StarboardFTW.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectroDream View Post
    How do I start this thread... welp. It's been a while, and the sole reason why I'm here was because ChickyBro(s)(???? sorry xd) mentioned the forums and I went like, "WELL it actually has been soooome time..." so yeah; Hi.

Anyways, small update on my life: I graduated high school and was going to Bina Nusantara a.k.a. Binus to pursue IT, it's quite up there for Indonesian universities that specify in IT. I think the university's in the top 10 or something? Actually I wanted to go to ITB but my mom's quite skeptical of public universities so I couldn't. But all of these plans were destroyed some time last month when my parents suddenly wanted me to go abroad instead.

I just took the IELTS test 6 days ago and it was horrible. I don't know whether I'll reach an overall band of 6.5 or not (that's the requirement for Monash University in Melbourne) and I might celebrate my screw up in 7 days when the results are out. If you guys are taking IELTS (I know a few people online who plan on taking it), just STUDY. Actually study. I barely studied; I took 20 hours of tuition but that's about it. Frankly speaking, my English isn't that bad -- I'd rate it 6/10 tbh. IELTS is like several levels up my reach though, especially with all those time limits and specific topics that you might have never read about. I did the worst in speaking as I was stuttering all the way (I stutter a lot in English and I have no idea why) and I spoke waaaay too fast because I was nervous.

If anyone's taking the test in the future, feel free to ask me how doomed I am from the scale of 1 to 10. I'll update this thread if I remember by the 26th, lol. I mean, I can give some tips I guess.

Moral of the story: Don't be a parent that suddenly changes your child's college plans and actually plan ahead (a year before at the very least) to avoid any gap years. If you're graduating high school soon, PLEASE PLAN AHEAD AND MAKE SURE YOUR PARENTS ARE OKAY WITH YOUR DECISION. I was in a lot of stress with all the sudden change of plans, especially that most of the prestigious universities had already closed their undergraduate applications. Also perhaps be really certain about how you're leading your life even though you're probably only 16 or 17 by the time you graduate.

To be frank I have no idea why I wrote this story of how my parents single-handedly (ok more like double since there are two of them) ruined my plans and discarding all my scholarships, I guess I just kind of miss the forums and want to start any kind of discussion. It's more like a ramble, even, than proper story-telling.
    I agree.
    Unofficial Growtopia Trailer 4 below!

In-Game Name: Viju
    Content Moderator at Growtopia Wikia since November 23, 2018
    Discord Tag: Viju#7557
    Former Forum Name: Mijuki04
    IG: @onlinepricechecker

Quote Originally Posted by Mijuki04 View Post
    I agree.
    Name:  unknown.png
Views: 95
Size:  57.1 KB

Thank you so much, my dearest friend, for a really thoughtful reply! I'm sincerely touched by your... input on this discussion.
    Last edited by ElectroDream; 06-19-2019 at 06:14 AM. Reason: attached a proper pic

On top of the roof, somewhere that the economy is slow enough to have roofed houses

Well... I hope you get what you set for yourself, and what your parents set for you. Having that kind of parents is indeed stressful sometime. I know some friends who takes 10 extra hours outside of school just for a career that they have no passion in.

Since you're here, how general is the topic for speaking? How long must you speak and how stressful it is? Speaking is easy for me when pressure is not there, so I'm quite confident in it, but now you're making me worried
    Some stuffs I do that's free

I'm going to take a similar test (TOEFL) in a few years. And thanks for the guide and for sharing your lesson.

By the way, have you ever taken a TOEIC (Test of English of International Community) test? It's not hard. I got 805/990. I didn't answer all questions because the time was out. TOEIC is for work people but my dad took me to do the test.

Name:  Logopit_1560952187678.png
Views: 73
Size:  456.2 KB

Also hi GEN if you see this.
    Last edited by ChickyBro; 06-20-2019 at 09:02 AM.
    GrowID: ChickyBro
    Xbox Live/Ubisoft: RealChickyBro

Instagram: @realchickybro

Bring Star vs. the Forces of Evil back
    http://chng.it/CZkfpBw7MP

ALLOW CROSSPLAY FOR XBOX/SWITCH AND PC/MOBILE!

I'm taking C1 PTE next year; kind of nervous since C1 is already university level stuff and I'm going to be in 11th grade then.
    Main reasoning for being nervous is that if I pass, I already get a 100 on my graduation english exam
    this is my signature
    i can choose whatever i want to do here
    and you cant stop me

i choose to do nothing

I am basically in a similar place. I graduated from high school on June 6, and I will be heading off to college by mid-August. However, I had my plans predetermined; I know where I am going to college, what classes I need to take, and how I am funding it all.

Even as a future immunologist, I can appreciate IT. Most of my friends are inclined toward computer science or cybersecurity.

Well, I coerced myself to pay this thread attention because I felt I should say hello to a familiar face, and wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. Do not get too caught up in the nebulousness and chaotic nature of future, and celebrate your milestones and accomplishments as they were and as they come.
    Been playing Growtopia since 2010.

I am a proud Hakmarian — the pope in fact!

Contact Info:

Master Sorcerer

I took TOEFL instead of IELTS. TOEFL is not that much different from IELTS, but for the speaking test, you actually had to talk to the PC screen in front of you instead of an actual human. The fact that there is no one to comfort you and all the time limits really give you a lot of pressure.

Our parents may have planned horribly for our future, but keep in mind that they always wanted us to do better. In this case, they most likely hoped that by paying more for your studies in a prestigious school outside Indonesia may be more effective than paying less for you to study in Indonesia. The reputation of your university plays a small role in determining your future. However, it is ultimately your attitude and personality that changes our living. And yeah, I agree that planning ahead is really important.

On an off-topic, I will be going to Purdue University in the US as a freshman to pursue a major in mechanical engineering under the PETRONAS scholarship. In a way, I guess we are considered both international students?

Just pm me in-game or on the forums if you need anything!
    Last edited by SixFace; 06-20-2019 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Removed a huge chunk of the quote for easier reading
    ~~~~SixFace

[6] ~ IGN: SixFace ~ [6]
    [6] ~ Discord: SixFace#8654 ~ [6]

"Part of the journey is the end, hence end it the way you started.."

well hello. binus is not that far from where I live 0.0

how much was ielts in rp?
    Love ya'

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Furry View Post
    I'm rich, state uni is for the poor.

Uhh..
    Im too young for this
    I quitted
    REEEEEE

This post is making me anxious

I'm still going through high school and I am already scared sH*tless about what stuff to take and what college to go to. I don't even know how to speak my own language properly which is a huge disadvantage since all of the good colleges are far from my home in a capital city wherein most speak it (Filipino). Oh well, let me just watch this meme compilation again.
    Last edited by POLOCA; 06-20-2019 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Carl Marks for US President
    IGN: Zetriex

Banned

I remember deciding for myself a few years back that Cambridge exams are superior to IELTS. I can't remembery why.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue. View Post
    Well... I hope you get what you set for yourself, and what your parents set for you. Having that kind of parents is indeed stressful sometime. I know some friends who takes 10 extra hours outside of school just for a career that they have no passion in.

Since you're here, how general is the topic for speaking? How long must you speak and how stressful it is? Speaking is easy for me when pressure is not there, so I'm quite confident in it, but now you're making me worried
    It sucks. I don't really have a passion in Information Technology but it's not like I'm really passionate about a certain thing, and I do like computers so eh why not, I guess.

The topics for speaking isn't really general, usually they divide speaking into 3 parts, at least in IELTS -- the first part where you introduce yourself, and your family (if asked), your hometown, stuff about yourself; this one's the easiest. The second part they give you a topic card and you have to prepare to speak for 2 minutes. They will give you a minute to note down whatever you want to say. I got the topic time management and I was asked whether I have ever not have any time to do a certain thing in the past, and how that impacts me. It was pretty hard and I ran out of things to talk about FAST, which is why I think I screwed up. Gotta think fast.

If you're confident then no fret! Honestly I'm pretty insecure about my speaking skills (I stutter plus my accent is too weird) so that affected how I spoke a lot. I'm not really a talker, honestly.

EDIT: Completely forgot about the last part of the speaking test; this one I found easy as well because he'd ask about my opinion regarding stuff relating to time management. It's similar to just talking and discussing because he'd also make remarks about your answers, or maybe ask further. This part I had no problem with, I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ChickyBro View Post
    I'm going to take a similar test (TOEFL) in a few years. And thanks for the guide and for sharing your lesson.

By the way, have you ever taken a TOEIC (Test of English of International Community) test? It's not hard. I got 805/990. I didn't answer all questions because the time was out. TOEIC is for work people but my dad took me to do the test.

Name:  Logopit_1560952187678.png
Views: 73
Size:  456.2 KB

Also hi GEN if you see this.
    I took TOEFL, I think, but it was combined with an university admission exam so I'm not sure if that's like a legit TOEFL test.

JUST DON'T DO THE SAME MISTAKE THAT I DID. It's pretty horrible, I'm just waiting for my results... 5 more days...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GT_PIJUS View Post
    I'm taking C1 PTE next year; kind of nervous since C1 is already university level stuff and I'm going to be in 11th grade then.
    Main reasoning for being nervous is that if I pass, I already get a 100 on my graduation english exam
    I don't see that as a reason to be nervous. Nothing to lose, right?

I dont even know who you are
    Hello friends I am Corrects and I am also a Pillar of the Community, I am a very hardworking man that sold his soul to soulely help the people from the Forums. I am an epic gamer and thats why I am kind of a big deal. Oh and, i am banned too btw

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlid View Post
    I am basically in a similar place. I graduated from high school on June 6, and I will be heading off to college by mid-August. However, I had my plans predetermined; I know where I am going to college, what classes I need to take, and how I am funding it all.

Even as a future immunologist, I can appreciate IT. Most of my friends are inclined toward computer science or cybersecurity.

Well, I coerced myself to pay this thread attention because I felt I should say hello to a familiar face, and wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. Do not get too caught up in the nebulousness and chaotic nature of future, and celebrate your milestones and accomplishments as they were and as they come.
    Thanks! Yeah, CS is a really well desired major right now. Same goes to IT, I guess. The major you're taking sounds pretty unpopular tbh. Wish you the best!

Good luck on that, I've still got a year ahead to prepare but I'm already in a hurry for scholarships and entrance exams these coming few months, oi dream gl seriously, we bout to enter the critical years.
    IGN: Nupthial
    Personal announcements will be listed "here."

Quote Originally Posted by SixFace View Post
    I took TOEFL instead of IELTS. TOEFL is not that much different from IELTS, but for the speaking test, you actually had to talk to the PC screen in front of you instead of an actual human. The fact that there is no one to comfort you and all the time limits really give you a lot of pressure.

Our parents may have planned horribly for our future, but keep in mind that they always wanted us to do better. In this case, they most likely hoped that by paying more for your studies in a prestigious school outside Indonesia may be more effective than paying less for you to study in Indonesia. The reputation of your university plays a small role in determining your future. However, it is ultimately your attitude and personality that changes our living. And yeah, I agree that planning ahead is really important.

On an off-topic, I will be going to Purdue University in the US as a freshman to pursue a major in mechanical engineering under the PETRONAS scholarship. In a way, I guess we are considered both international students?

Just pm me in-game or on the forums if you need anything!
    Thanks, fellow international student! I don't know if I'm going to rely on in-game/forums PM though because you might kind of disappear again?

I can't stress it enough, yes to anyone reading this planning is REALLY important. I could've saved my parents' money if they hadn't changed plans; initially last year I wanted to go abroad and they declined my request. I could've looked for international scholarships, and that was sorta possible because I had been keeping straight A's throughout high school. ok im rambling again

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Inceptionist View Post
    well hello. binus is not that far from where I live 0.0

how much was ielts in rp?
    2.9jt, I took it in IDP. I think I booked it off this website.

Also, I have no idea which Binus you're talking about. There are a lot!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DreadVoidGT View Post
    Uhh..
    Im too young for this
    Perhaps you can learn from my screw up and not mess up as badly as I did when the time comes?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by POLOCA View Post
    This post is making me anxious

I'm still going through high school and I am already scared sH*tless about what stuff to take and what college to go to. I don't even know how to speak my own language properly which is a huge disadvantage since all of the good colleges are far from my home in a capital city wherein most speak it (Filipino). Oh well, let me just watch this meme compilation again.
    Well, I was very nervous myself. Sometimes there are university conventions/conference where they talk about their university and why (insert major) is good, you should attend a lot of those even though you have no idea where you want to go. Also if the admission test is free then take it for no reason at all. Take all chances when possible, IMO. Then from all those choices, pick the best one based on what you want. Talk to your parents in a serious manner of what you want to pursue and whether they agree to that or not, if not then try to compromise.

The last year of high school will be pretty stressful, not because of the studies (year 11 is heavier, at least in Indonesia) but because determining your future is tough. Most of my friends have gone through similar stress periods as well, so I think it's bound to happen to everyone in year 12. Don't worry, you're not alone!

EDIT: For the whole not speaking your native language thing, perhaps you can study abroad? It's not expensive if you choose the right country. I've heard that UK and Canada are less expensive than Australia or Singapore, also China has a few international colleges where they speak English (You still have to take Chinese lessons as well, IIRC) but I have no idea if the tuition fees are cheaper than in the Philippines or not.

also pls spare some time for planning ahead instead of those meme compilations >

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by whatsisname View Post
    I remember deciding for myself a few years back that Cambridge exams are superior to IELTS. I can't remembery why.
    I wish I knew why too, but Australian universities usually require IELTS. Never really heard of Cambridge exams being used anywhere, tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Corrects View Post
    I dont even know who you are
    It's okay, I don't know who you are as well! Totally.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nupthial View Post
    Good luck on that, I've still got a year ahead to prepare but I'm already in a hurry for scholarships and entrance exams these coming few months, oi dream gl seriously, we bout to enter the critical years.
    Of course. Take your time with those entrance exams lol but don't slack off too much.

Thanks for the good luck, sending one to you as well!

Master Sorcerer

Thanks, fellow international student! I don't know if I'm going to rely on in-game/forums PM though because you might kind of disappear again?

I can't stress it enough, yes to anyone reading this planning is REALLY important. I could've saved my parents' money if they hadn't changed plans; initially last year I wanted to go abroad and they declined my request. I could've looked for international scholarships, and that was sorta possible because I had been keeping straight A's throughout high school. ok im rambling again
    Don't worry too much though. I constantly check my e-mail so when you forum PM-ed me, I would definitely notice. Also, I just attached my discord in my siggy recently, so you can contact me through discord too!
    ~~~~SixFace

[6] ~ IGN: SixFace ~ [6]
    [6] ~ Discord: SixFace#8654 ~ [6]

"Part of the journey is the end, hence end it the way you started.."

Quote Originally Posted by SixFace View Post
    Don't worry too much though. I constantly check my e-mail so when you forum PM-ed me, I would definitely notice. Also, I just attached my discord in my siggy recently, so you can contact me through discord too!
    That's great! Will PM when I need ya!

Quote Originally Posted by DreadVoidGT View Post
    Uhh..
    Im too young for this
    lol sameee
    Quote Originally Posted by Astigmatisme View Post
    hehe​​​​​​