Thread: Add email verification to stop spammers

Lesser Wizard Craftyisheretohelp's Avatar

Default Add email verification to stop spammers

It is currently way to easy to get dozens of accounts in growtopia, all of the spammers use VPNs with those virtual space apps and fake emails. There needs to be a verification email sent to the email address the account is trying to be made with to prove it does exist, the owners of the spam accounts also avoid bans doing these two things. This could also solve the issue with accounts with fake emails.
    ign:SUPERCRAFTED
    Quote Originally Posted by GaysD View Post
    A true chad
    Get as many mooncakes possible this year! https://www.growtopiagame.com/forums...36#post4023236

Lesser Knight

the thing is u can use one email for multiple acc

Quote Originally Posted by (Yeti) View Post
    Basically it sends an email verification to your email. You cannot use your account until you verify it.
    GrowID: CoolAkramTV
    World: CATV

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Who are you and where did you come from?
    YouTube: CoolAkramTV (i upload videos there i guess)
    Hold that phone, okay?

Quote Originally Posted by (Yeti) View Post
    If true, this should be fixed, maybe limit it to 4. Also all the accounts being from the same email will make banning easier
    A true chad
    Get as many mooncakes possible this year! https://www.growtopiagame.com/forums...36#post4023236

Quote Originally Posted by Craftyisheretohelp View Post
    If true, this should be fixed, maybe limit it to 4. Also all the accounts being from the same email will make banning easier
    +122312321

Don't you worry. That is already in our plans. Meaning we will most likely implement this soon.

They already made a temporary solution, when you're a low level player, a simple math question will pop out when you stand for a few minutes.

Like I mentioned before, we do have plans to reduce the spammers in the game. One by one we are putting them all in place.

Quote Originally Posted by NekoRei View Post
    Don't you worry. That is already in our plans. Meaning we will most likely implement this soon.
    Hooray!
    A true chad

Like I mentioned before, we do have plans to reduce the spammers in the game. One by one we are putting them all in place.
    This is the only time I find you creepy like Thanos wiping out all spammers with a single snap

My IGN: Necrozm
    Lvl: 41
    Wls: 0
    Main world: NECROZM

I won’t be rude, but those who makes “To do” list don’t think too much. A spam-seller isn’t able to create infinite e-mail accounts. The only and best anti-spam solution is a Level jammer which allows player with a certain level to chat in world. If owner of BUYMAGPLANTS (I take an example) use this jammer for level 10, only player with Level above 10 will chat in world. Spammers are low (1-5). Only way to spam will remain free accounts from google.

Disposable email addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by IMPARATUL View Post
    I won’t be rude, but those who makes “To do” list don’t think too much. A spam-seller isn’t able to create infinite e-mail accounts. The only and best anti-spam solution is a Level jammer which allows player with a certain level to chat in world. If owner of BUYMAGPLANTS (I take an example) use this jammer for level 10, only player with Level above 10 will chat in world. Spammers are low (1-5). Only way to spam will remain free accounts from google.
    Hey IMPARATUL,

Thanks for your feedback. We do everything we can to reduce the amount of spammers/scammers/hackers/etc. Claiming something is the "only and best" of something is a presumptuous statement. When looking at a solution to a problem, it is best to look for a solution that doesn't cause more problems. Off the top of my head, a Chat Jammer could be abused the same way a Royal Lock could.

You'd be surprised at what spam-sellers are willing to do. If the solution was easy, we would have already implemented it.

PS. Lists are for people who like to think in a calm, organized fashion. Please don't say toxic comments like that. Leading with "I won't be rude" generally makes the comment toxic. Some thoughts are better left unsaid.

I have a feeling that level jammer was suggested because, you locked it for your own good and it made it somehow
    IGN: INVSIBILITY - Hey you need a friend or a person to talk or anything call me up, well not all the time but I try.

Tomorrow I want to change the world,Today I became wiser to change what I began

Never Open This!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Odric View Post
    Hey IMPARATUL,

Thanks for your feedback. We do everything we can to reduce the amount of spammers/scammers/hackers/etc. Claiming something is the "only and best" of something is a presumptuous statement. When looking at a solution to a problem, it is best to look for a solution that doesn't cause more problems. Off the top of my head, a Chat Jammer could be abused the same way a Royal Lock could.

You'd be surprised at what spam-sellers are willing to do. If the solution was easy, we would have already implemented it.

PS. Lists are for people who like to think in a calm, organized fashion. Please don't say toxic comments like that. Leading with "I won't be rude" generally makes the comment toxic. Some thoughts are better left unsaid.
    Ok, you’re right. Sorry! But if Royal Lock is abused why don’t get a nerf? Billboards are just a pice of puzzle. What if Royal Lock will mute only players under level 50? This will solve both problems? I don’t know. Maybe.
    I spent one minute to read your reply and I realized that Devs are working hard and spending a lot of their time. I’ll try to think more next time.

Ok, you’re right. Sorry! But if Royal Lock is abused why don’t get a nerf? Billboards are just a pice of puzzle. What if Royal Lock will mute only players under level 50? This will solve both problems? I don’t know. Maybe.
    I spent one minute to read your reply and I realized that Devs are working hard and spending a lot of their time. I’ll try to think more next time.
    This is a bad Idea, it will only further the idea of classism. And further separate the divide between the rich and the poor.
    Ubisoft Hamumu

VvVCLICKMEVvV if you want to restart the new servers and open them at at set time AROUND THE WORLD.

https://www.growtopiagame.com/forums...ck-new-servers

Serf

It is currently way to easy to get dozens of accounts in growtopia, all of the spammers use VPNs with those virtual space apps and fake emails. There needs to be a verification email sent to the email address the account is trying to be made with to prove it does exist, the owners of the spam accounts also avoid bans doing these two things. This could also solve the issue with accounts with fake emails.
    The things is that people could create new emails for them. So like tons of alt emails. Why dont add a chat limit until like level 5, it should be eazy to get to level 5.

Banned

I like the idea, and I don't like the idea (from the standpoint that staff have quasi-approved it).

The reason it's good is obvious, less spam.

The reason it MIGHT be bad: the game is very welcoming to new players and allows to try all of its features (aside from broadcasting) without any registration, and I believe that this is an important factor when player decided whether to keep playing or not. If accounts without e-mail verification will end up limited too much, lazy new players will be discouraged from exploring the game. Now I don't know how real this argument is, but I'm wary about putting my e-mail on any kind of list, and so might be other people. The task here is to make sure that innocent new players don't get discriminated too hard by the system.

Also, I don't know if that's considered or not, but restrict registering from known "temporary e-mail" domains. Otherwise the workaround is trivial.

Hooray!
    Beep boop are you human? Whats 263 + 42 x 2840 and 30% of the result ?
    IGN : LI0NE
    LEVEL : 107
    BUY+ : Sold buyfrozenstone (47dls)
    GUILD : leader of GIANT (atm logo)

Make this block in gt! (No dammage lava)

#WeWantLBranch