Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mrthadawee's top 5 tips on how to make a nice looking world!

Default Mrthadawee's top 5 tips on how to make a nice looking world!

Hello everyone!

I am going to share my 5 top tips on how to make a nice looking world, hopefully this will help some builders make a nice world!

1. Clear the world first!

As obvious as it seems this is a VERY important rule. Unless your worlds theme involves underground things then clear your world. In fact, clear your world anyway, at least you can fill it back in with a BETTER block than dirt!

2. Make it newbie friendly!

I see some worlds with "noob tests" (basically a zombie test without a mushroom, you need to double jump to get up). These "noob tests" can annoy lots of players without wings, that guy jim_201 just wanted to have a look around your world but he didn't have wings, poor jim_201 now has to find another world! poor jim_201!. Try to make platforms accessible with one jump, avoid making narrow alley ways too, they are hard to maneuver around and sometimes leave new players frustrated. Unless it's a parkour then try to make it newbie friendly!

3. Avoid dirt, use nice looking blocks

unless your world has a special kind of theme then try to avoid dirt as much as you can, it makes you look cheap and tacky. Not a very good first impression, Leaving places untouched and empty also makes your world look a bit poopy too.
    You don't need to have gold blocks and crystals everywhere, simple coloured blocks in a pattern is effective! Make buildings complete and give them nice backgrounds, window and checkered wallpaper are two nice backgrounds and they are relatively easy to make. It is not about the rarity of a block, it is about how the blocks look.

4. Make it a world people want to come to

Make it a world people want to go to, make it a fun and interesting world, set a theme maybe, you are going to have to broadcast or maybe sb a few times to advertise your world, but only do that when your world is up to scratch. A good first impression is key for a good world. World surfers take 1 look at a world and if it looks horrible they simply leave straight away. Put rarer and better looking blocks right at the start, your world needs to look appealing to players as soon as they enter through the white door. Your world should be nice looking and stylish, houses should look like houses (if your world has houses that is). Trees should look as much like trees as they possibly can, use a weather machine to really give the feel for a world (bright blocks with windows in front of a night weather machine is like a critical hit when it comes to worlds).
    If you can add a few bulletin boards. People can give feedback and possibly help you make your world better with feedback. (but don't get mad if people start pretending that they are seth. I have had one case where a guy pretended that he was talking to seth in this world using the bulletin boards, he did colours to make it seem seth was talking. It was a fail however)

5. have fun!

Why make a world if your not having fun doing it? It is pointless to make a decent world if your not having fun making it. Your world can be fun for you as it is for other players. You can build what you like (as long as it isn't rude) and you can try to get wotd (something that I one day hope to achieve)

Some other things worth mentioning!

have some TRUSTED friends to come and help you, You get the work done twice as fast, and it is more fun! But make sure you can trust them as you could be griefed!

Only buy building materials you cannot make yourself, it is costly to buy materials for your world, coloured blocks and basic backgrounds can be spliced easily. Make a brick farm if you want to make lots of blocks, blue star wallpaper is farmable. It is a very nice background block and goes lovely with coloured blocks like orange, black, yellow and blue. Make patterns with tangrams and coloured blocks. You may want to buy rarer things like bulletin boards or pinball bumpers (unless you somehow mass produce bumpers).

Host events and sb for advertising
    , You want your world to be known, sb and do some giveaways and host pvp events! People will come to your world and some may even stay if they like it!

Make a good impression for your world
    ,having the world look nice right at the start makes people want to have a better look at your world, also be a nice owner and be polite, if you are polite and only ban when it is necessary people will respect you more. Add nice shiny rare blocks around the white door and keep the place tidy, no dirt blocks lying around or random gems in the walls (like in START)

Add minigames or some pvp
    , It makes the world more fun to play in, of course if you have a pvp like sumo you may have to turn the punch jammer off and only use it for giveaways.

Get a zombie jammer as soon as possible, If you can fork out the world locks be sure to buy a zombie jammer and possibly a punch jammer, they help a lot when zombies attack!

I hope you learned something from this little tip thread! These tips are from pure experience.

~Mrthadawee
    Last edited by mrthadawee; 02-02-2014 at 11:20 AM. Reason: added a few more things
    -Thadirth

Great tips!! I'll be sure to look back to this when creating a world.
    "People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things."
    Edmund Hillary

Thanks for the tips (:
    Feel free to join my discord server by clicking on this link:
    WORLD BUILDER SQUAD - DISCORD

Hopefully we don't see the word "Mini-Mod" in this thread ..
    "People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things."
    Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by Fredi View Post
    Thanks for the tips (:
    You make brilliant worlds anyway Fredi! But I am glad my tips can help people!
    -Thadirth

Default Really

I honestly hope that this becomes a sticky. It has been useful to me, as is others. If it does become a sticky, try to add more tips you come up with. Not daily, but maybe about every couple months. I am hoping this becomes a sticky.
    I am NOT a girl!!!! For everyone out there who think I am because my name is Cadence!!
    Growtopia
    Hi! My IGN is Cadence306! PM me about anything or Msg me in-game!
    http://http://giveadamn.co.uk/image/Cadence306.jpgSoupGroup:Recruit

Default Great Tips

Thanks for the tips!
    It also gets you a lot of gems by clearing worlds

Quote Originally Posted by ichirp View Post
    Thanks for the tips!
    It also gets you a lot of gems by clearing worlds
    Clearing a world gives me approximately 200 cave background and 200 dirt seeds. I could plant them and break them for gems, or splice up with the 30-50 rock seeds I find.

Now clearing a world takes so long on your own, it is also very boring. There are 2 main ways to get your world cleared faster.

1. Get some friends, access them and clear the world. If they are true friends you wouldn't have to pay them.

2. set the world to public, access a few friends and broadcast to get the world cleared. This is a messier option as people tend to just dig where they like. You should get them to clear the background too. My world was cleared this way. You should have about 15-20 people max or else you may find it hard to control people building. Your accessed friends should be able to ban builders and crowd control (not to be confused with crowd control in rpg's)

~Mrthadawee

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cadence5893 View Post
    I honestly hope that this becomes a sticky. It has been useful to me, as is others. If it does become a sticky, try to add more tips you come up with. Not daily, but maybe about every couple months. I am hoping this becomes a sticky.

I don't think this is sticky worthy, the only threads being stickied is announcements by mods and InightmareI's guide (also a few guides by mods).

I will add more tips along the way, I won't forget this thread .
    -Thadirth

Master Sorcerer Tomas Batkauskas's Avatar
    FAKEFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKRFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKEFAKE

Well if you making garden you wont place gold blocks instead dirt,right?
    I'm a guy who is obssesed with Marilyn Manson and metal music.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mrthadawee View Post
    Hello everyone!

I am going to share my 5 top tips on how to make a nice looking world, hopefully this will help some builders make a nice world!

1. Clear the world first!

As obvious as it seems this is a VERY important rule. Unless your worlds theme involves underground things then clear your world. In fact, clear your world anyway, at least you can fill it back in with a BETTER block than dirt!

2. Make it newbie friendly!

I see some worlds with "noob tests" (basically a zombie test without a mushroom, you need to double jump to get up). These "noob tests" can annoy lots of players without wings, that guy jim_201 just wanted to have a look around your world but he didn't have wings, poor jim_201 now has to find another world! poor jim_201!. Try to make platforms accessible with one jump, avoid making narrow alley ways too, they are hard to maneuver around and sometimes leave new players frustrated. Unless it's a parkour then try to make it newbie friendly!

3. Avoid dirt, use nice looking blocks

unless your world has a special kind of theme then try to avoid dirt as much as you can, it makes you look cheap and tacky. Not a very good first impression, Leaving places untouched and empty also makes your world look a bit poopy too.
    You don't need to have gold blocks and crystals everywhere, simple coloured blocks in a pattern is effective! Make buildings complete and give them nice backgrounds, window and checkered wallpaper are two nice backgrounds and they are relatively easy to make. It is not about the rarity of a block, it is about how the blocks look.

4. Make it a world people want to come to

Make it a world people want to go to, make it a fun and interesting world, set a theme maybe, you are going to have to broadcast or maybe sb a few times to advertise your world, but only do that when your world is up to scratch. A good first impression is key for a good world. World surfers take 1 look at a world and if it looks horrible they simply leave straight away. Put rarer and better looking blocks right at the start, your world needs to look appealing to players as soon as they enter through the white door. Your world should be nice looking and stylish, houses should look like houses (if your world has houses that is). Trees should look as much like trees as they possibly can, use a weather machine to really give the feel for a world (bright blocks with windows in front of a night weather machine is like a critical hit when it comes to worlds).
    If you can add a few bulletin boards. People can give feedback and possibly help you make your world better with feedback. (but don't get mad if people start pretending that they are seth. I have had one case where a guy pretended that he was talking to seth in this world using the bulletin boards, he did colours to make it seem seth was talking. It was a fail however)

5. have fun!

Why make a world if your not having fun doing it? It is pointless to make a decent world if your not having fun making it. Your world can be fun for you as it is for other players. You can build what you like (as long as it isn't rude) and you can try to get wotd (something that I one day hope to achieve)

Some other things worth mentioning!

have some TRUSTED friends to come and help you, You get the work done twice as fast, and it is more fun! But make sure you can trust them as you could be griefed!

Only buy building materials you cannot make yourself, it is costly to buy materials for your world, coloured blocks and basic backgrounds can be spliced easily. Make a brick farm if you want to make lots of blocks, blue star wallpaper is farmable. It is a very nice background block and goes lovely with coloured blocks like orange, black, yellow and blue. Make patterns with tangrams and coloured blocks. You may want to buy rarer things like bulletin boards or pinball bumpers (unless you somehow mass produce bumpers).

Host events and sb for advertising
    , You want your world to be known, sb and do some giveaways and host pvp events! People will come to your world and some may even stay if they like it!

I hope you learned something from this little tip thread! These tips are from pure experience.

~Mrthadawee
    Brilliant! Also include that their world should be unique from before.

I need to print it somewhere

Banned

If I may add a tip...

Make sure you decorate the area around the white door really well.Try place rare blocks because it will make players want to see more.

Quote Originally Posted by mrthadawee View Post
    Clearing a world gives me approximately 200 cave background and 200 dirt seeds. I could plant them and break them for gems, or splice up with the 30-50 rock seeds I find. (I ACCIDENTALLY REMOVED TEXT, I IMPROVISED)
    Erm, I get like 1000 dirt seeds and 1000 cave seeds... So
    I'm outta here, if you need me my discord is horse#0001

We had a good run, gamers.

Master Sorcerer XxDaNxX_The_Awesome's Avatar

Nice tips! This would really help people aiming for WOTD!

Default Hmm

Maybe great??

Quote Originally Posted by BuilderBoy View Post
    If I may add a tip...

Make sure you decorate the area around the white door really well.Try place rare blocks because it will make players want to see more.
    I have already said things about a first impression but I will add to it more!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Batkauskas View Post
    Well if you making garden you wont place gold blocks instead dirt,right?
    I said unless it has a theme then avoid dirt. You would have dirt in a garden yes.
    Make the world look nice. And make it look realistic if that is what your aiming for.
    Last edited by mrthadawee; 02-02-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    -Thadirth

Default bump

sneaky bump
    -Thadirth

Thanks for the tips!
    I knew most of them but thanks!

Default Mrthdahthee

My World Has some dirt, But it is part of theme. wanna come check it out? It is MehHQ
    And then SMG4 said,
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMarioGlitchy4 View Post
    I wanna be like a Growtopian

I LUV MINIONZhttp://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6080...58199&pid=15.1

When I get called A NOOB:http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6080...22879&pid=15.1

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6079...58038&pid=15.1
    ​#STOPTHESCAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ramirez View Post
    My World Has some dirt, But it is part of theme. wanna come check it out? It is MehHQ

I gave it a check. I would recomend you put a world lock in it asap. unfortunatly people came and broke the door near the small lock (a good thing too because someone could have stolen the door id and would be able to break into your world!)

I recomend you set up a brick farm. You can then splice the bricks into coloured blocks. If it is mearly a farm then you can keep it as messy as you like XD.

If you plan to make the world into a better world with people going in and looking around then I suggest that you replace the dirt buildings with a better block. There are many different nice looking blocks that are easy to make, such as coloured blocks and windows or checkered background (however checkered is quite hard to obtain in massive numbers if all you have is glass panes and rock :P)
    Last edited by mrthadawee; 02-03-2014 at 06:40 PM.
    -Thadirth