Hello Growtopians!

I'm sure you're all eager to see what we have in store for you for July's update (which is not the Season Clash or Gross-Out revisions, by the way...), but today we have a bit of a different "dev diary" for you.

As part of our ongoing efforts to be more communicative and open, we'd like to let you in on some of our long-term plans for Growtopia. These are extras - quality-of-life features and community endeavors - that go beyond our usual monthly content updates.

Ezzerio will be adding a new post soon with cool news from the community team, but right now, I get to tell you about our plans for... Chat!

Now, as anyone who's used Growtopia's chat system can tell you, it's a bit... clunky. All the text appears in one box, and in that box, you can't find a lot of the usual features one might expect from a chat client. Like a cursor. With that in mind, we've decided that spending a hefty chunk of our development efforts on a UI overhaul here would really help you guys communicate!

Ready to get excited (if you're the type of person who gets excited by chat windows, that is)? Well, here's an early - and I want to stress early - mockup of what we have planned:

Name:  chatsample.png
Views: 2265
Size:  356.4 KB

Man, that's cool.

I've got a whole list to run through with you on this one, because there's more going on than just a few new buttons at the top of the screen. We've got:

1. Chat Channels: I mean, those new buttons at the top of the screen are awesome, though. What these represent are separate chat feeds that you can select to filter the messages you receive based on their source. Our current plans for these are to have: "All," which will send literally every message to your feed (Growtopia today, basically), "World," which will only display messages generated within your current world, "Private," which will only show PMs, "Game," which will show messages generated by systems (like a reward from Surgery), and "Custom," which you'll be able to use to set your own preferences (and add in some potentially missing channels like "Guild").
  2. Chat Cursor: Okay, you can't see this one in the mockup, but it's coming anyway! Yes, you'll be able to see a cursor when you're typing, and you'll be able to move it to EDIT your messages instead of just hitting Backspace a bunch.
  3. Chat Colors: We're gonna color chat based on its source. See that bright red "ADMIN" message? That's how you know it's an official message (if red is the color we end up deciding to use for this). Does this mean you won't be able to color your own chat text? Yes, this means you won't be able to color your own chat text. On one hand, that's not as cool for drawing attention and customizing your own messages. On the other, it's a lot better for consistency of communication and cutting down on potential scams and confusion. We think it's worth it!
  4. Longer Messages: You'll be able to send messages longer than one line.
  5. More Messages: You'll be able to experience the joy of having a longer backlog of messages.
  6. Mobile Messaging Joy: When you start typing on mobile devices, the keyboard won't cover your chat so you can actually see what you're writing.

Are you excited? I'm excited! It's still a ways off (it's not going to be in time for PAW, for instance) and things may change along the way though, so just remember that everything you've read and seen here is not final.

Not final. NOT FINAL.

(not final)

I hope you've enjoyed this sneak peek and tell us what you think about it here, but we're not done yet - stay tuned for a post from Ezzerio (coming soon) with more fun details!