Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Standard Farming vs. Roots Farming

Quote Originally Posted by Starkos View Post
    Roots are not here to make you a quick buck. They are here to provide a patient and more farsighted alternative to the current farming loop. We will, of course, be keeping an eye on things and provide buffs if needed, but only after enough time has passed to get an idea of how the long-term investors in this new system are doing.
    What I don’t understand here is that it meant to be an alternative to the farming loop, but for this to work, you would have to plant the same bountiful seed type on the same soil 5 times, thus to get the seeds, you must harvest them all, break them and plant the seeds again... which is the same thing as our current farming except you only get return on your 5th cycle.

Unless... you can use a lower tier seed with a quicker growth time to get the soil root to level 4 to then plant your desired root for the 5th level? But that’s the only idea I can think of, which I believe is incorrect as you cannot mix roots...?

I’m totally clueless on how this is different to standard farming. The only difference I can see is that you only get a yield after the 5th cycle of harvesting and breaking. Because alike to standard farming, you harvest and break in a cyclical manner to gain more and more seeds, which is what you would do for these bountiful types.

We already have found out the yield of gems per level 5 root per bountiful block with the use of growsprays. Thus we can interpret the gem yield on a larger scale for each bountiful item and compare it to standard farmables (see Nenkaii’s post below mine who has included timings and other realistic values).

Is there something we are doing wrong...?
    Last edited by Techy; 07-12-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    𝓶𝔂 𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓵𝓭𝓼 : PURPOSES ¦ SELFDEPRIVED ¦ FEARLISTENS ¦ RIFT ¦ PSYCHOVILLE ¦ ROYALFESTIVAL
    31 WOTDs

Discord Tag: xdpical#7777

Quote Originally Posted by Lollipopper View Post
    I think the situation changes when you take tesseract manipulators into consideration.
    You just increased smart of +10

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    What I don’t understand here is that it meant to be an alternative to the farming loop, but for this to work, you would have to plant the same bountiful seed type on the same soil 5 times, thus to get the seeds, you must harvest them all, break them and plant the seeds again... which is the same thing as our current farming except you only get return on your 5th cycle.

Unless... you can use a lower tier seed with a quicker growth time to get the soil root to level 4 to then plant your desired root for the 5th level? But that’s the only idea I can think of, which I believe is incorrect as you cannot mix roots...?

I’m totally clueless on how this is different to standard farming. The only difference I can see is that you only get a yield after the 5th cycle of harvesting and breaking. Because alike to standard farming, you harvest and break in a cyclical manner to gain more and more seeds, which is what you would do for these bountiful types.

We already have found out the yield of gems per level 5 root per bountiful block with the use of growsprays. Thus we can interpret the gem yield on a larger scale for each bountiful item and compare it to standard farmables (see Nenkaii’s post below mine who has included timings and other realistic values).

Is there something we are doing wrong...?
    Farming is a loop. Everything is a loop until you change it.
    IGN : LI0NE
    LEVEL : 107
    GUILD : leader of GIANT (atm logo)
    -----
    ..Console..
    IGN : lord
    Level : highest of all !
    switch/xbox
    -----
    Follow my insta @li0ne_gt

Make this block in gt! (No dammage lava)

#FixDay1

Master Sorcerer

If the profit of farming roots is supposed to be in the root cuttings, they need to be actually useful. As of now they're only used for a few clothes that will soon be worthless because they're cosmetic only and there will be a huge supply because that's all you can make from roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Joni2 View Post
    If the profit of farming roots is supposed to be in the root cuttings, they need to be actually useful. As of now they're only used for a few clothes that will soon be worthless because they're cosmetic only and there will be a huge supply because that's all you can make from roots.
    YES! There needs to be a big end goal item made with the roots that the players can grind for the clothes are literally not the best but it's and update but we do need something at the end of it even being a grand scheme item costing TONS of ROOTS us players want to grind for stuff but the items in this update arent worth it.
    Not sure why I'm back but I'm back
    IGN: Deno855
    TRUE OG
    Level: 64
    Gems: 263k / 1mil
    WLS: Who even cares its the effort
    Instagram: @deno855_gt

Quote Originally Posted by Starkos View Post
    Time is an extremely important factor you're missing. It's not just about gems returned - it's also time invested, both in terms of tree growth as well as placement and breaking. All bountiful roots are farmable, but not all bountiful roots are straight-up better than their non-bountiful equivalents. It's up to you guys to find the long-term gains, because you have to amortize not only upfront costs but also time investments over weeks and months.

Roots are not here to make you a quick buck. They are here to provide a patient and more farsighted alternative to the current farming loop. We will, of course, be keeping an eye on things and provide buffs if needed, but only after enough time has passed to get an idea of how the long-term investors in this new system are doing.
    Planting and harvesting bountiful items will take a lot more Time than current farming does.
    Autofarming using ice/obsidian won't work anymore and one'd have to very carefully plant as planting/harvesting by holding left/right as one would do with a harvester or plow won't work anymore, since it is very much required, that every single tile is always harvested or planted.
    Uprooting the soil will also take a lot of time, as one will quite literally have to punch every single block that usually would've been a platform in your farm (though one can sort of reduce that effort with a rayman, where one would punch two rows at once, though since one'd then stand still every time one punches, the actual time saving would be very low to nill).
    Last edited by DeLixx; 07-12-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLixx View Post
    Planting and harvesting bountiful items will take a lot more Time than current farming does.
    Autofarming using ice/obsidian won't work anymore and one'd have to very carefully plant and, as planting/harvesting by holding left/right as one would do with a harvester or plow won't work anymore, since it is very much required, that every single tile is always harvested or planted.
    Uprooting the soil will also take a lot of time, as one will quite literally have to punch every single block that usually would've been a platform in your farm (though one can sort of reduce that effort with a rayman, where one would punch two rows at once, though since one'd then stand still every time one punches, the actual time saving would be very low to nill).
    The whole roots and farming idk it feels like it was an idea that went in but no consideration of what about when the STOCK of root cuttings becomes like alot and the only thing we can make is clothes which are USELESS

There needs to be a huge end goal of this ROOT update thats all
    TRUE OG

Exactly ^^
    IGN: LostKings
    Level: 125
    Achievements: 133/158
    Legendary Items: 3

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Deno855 View Post
    YES! There needs to be a big end goal item made with the roots that the players can grind for the clothes are literally not the best but it's and update but we do need something at the end of it even being a grand scheme item costing TONS of ROOTS us players want to grind for stuff but the items in this update arent worth it.
    No big end goal, this is supposed to be a long term update, that would make it get that item and thats it. The roots should be useful somehow else, turn them into gems somehow, for example.

No big end goal, this is supposed to be a long term update, that would make it get that item and thats it. The roots should be useful somehow else, turn them into gems somehow, for example.
    Yeah but a BIG item would make us grind for it sure the rich people would go for the item but us players would work towards it at our own pace it would be worth it.
    TRUE OG

They needed to be like role items in the fact that they are used in recipes for useful items that players may desire. Cosmetic items and mere building blocks won’t set a demand for root cuttings nor will it increase the desire as every recipe does not require a lot of the root cuttings (good for all current recipes, but we need something big to use a lot of root cuttings on).

They don’t even have to make new items for such, they can make it so rootxuttings make certain older items such as, I don’t know, role items? Probably not that, but you get the picture.
    𝓶𝔂 𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓵𝓭𝓼 : PURPOSES ¦ SELFDEPRIVED ¦ FEARLISTENS ¦ RIFT ¦ PSYCHOVILLE ¦ ROYALFESTIVAL
    31 WOTDs

Discord Tag: xdpical#7777

Let me just say one thing:

Regular farming will NEVER be surpassed by the root thingy.
    That's what I think will happen, People will lose interest and forget roots in a few weeks, and growtopia will continue normally.

The update is pretty cool tho! And it must have taken some effort to plan out and make it!
    🇫🇮 Ephus (GL)

Started in July, 2013. But only recently joined the forums!

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
    -
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ephusgrow/?hl

Quote Originally Posted by LostKings View Post
    what about the actual roots? they're pretty much useless, soon there will be an insane amount of supply in the game but nothing to use them on.
    Everything is farmable and now the cobra hat in a month will be 3/1 lol
    IGN : LI0NE
    LEVEL : 107
    GUILD : leader of GIANT (atm logo)
    -----
    ..Console..
    IGN : lord
    Level : highest of all !
    switch/xbox
    -----
    Follow my insta @li0ne_gt

Make this block in gt! (No dammage lava)

#FixDay1

All root items are farmable but we cannot use them for BFGs
    IGN : Kihiro
    Cheap Bountiful item block/seed/root at BountifulShop \(^_^)/

Goal :
    -Get Focused Eye : Done
    -Token for PAW : 221/200
    -Level 125 : Done
    -Have fun in game : 6/10