Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some help

Default I need some help

Hey all,

I’ll be moving into a whole new country. The bad part is, this country is an English-Speaking country.

I’ll get to meet with new culture(s), new people, a whole new education system, everything will be pretty much new.

Another part is, I’ll get education in an International School, I’ll have to do the IB program.

Sad part, my English sucks and I can’t event speak it properly. I’ll pretty much have to speak with new people to make friend(s) and bff’s.

As said, I believe that I’ll not be able to make friends which is going to get me in depression.

I still don’t know how to start a conversation in English about the topics they talk who they are and everything.

The other part is, I’m too slim. I also have to fix some other stuff and I still don’t know most of the basic words in English.

The worst part is, currently I’ll be 11th grade and I’m not that tall. The ones in the schools are currently friend(s) with each other.

I’ll not be able to make friends and I’ll be alone. I also don’t know how will I study there, I hardly understand the language of my projects and I won’t be able to understand anything.

I am trying to develop but I don’t know please help me, even this thread looks like a joke.

A normal human being would go to a psychiatrist, but I don’t want that.

By the way, after a long time I’ll be escaping from Cyprus. Finally leaving the worst place in the world.

Give me tips please,
    Join Forumers United, Join now!

All for one and one for all, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

I'd suggest maybe duolingo to help?

Also I'm just curious, what country?
    pfp drawn by memo4ever

IGN: rrix

[❌]Level: 64/125
    [❌]Dls: 40/100
    [❌]Gems: 712k/1m
    [✔️]Dirt: 1/1

I am the memelord

End goal: Try out every part of gt

Quote Originally Posted by rrix View Post
    I'd suggest maybe duolingo to help?

Also I'm just curious, what country?
    English-Speaking country.

All for one and one for all, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

Judging by this thread, your written English is pretty good. There are a noticeable amount of grammatical errors, but nothing that stops me from understanding what you’re trying to express. Spoken English can be a completely different challenge. Don’t focus on making your sentences grammatically correct. Instead, focus on getting your voice, your thoughts, and your ideas out there. The only way you can improve your spoken English is by speaking. Learn all of the essential words and phrases people use in their daily lives instead of advanced words that even native English speakers might not even know about. Eventually, you’ll learn all the grammar rules and apply them when you’re speaking. In addition, watch your preferred movies or tv shows in English with closed captions on. You’ll learn conversational phrases and words that way. You can also do the same by reading. Not textbooks, but novels.

Being exposed to a new environment can be difficult. However, there is nothing you can’t get used to given time. You mentioned that you’ll be attending an international school. From my understanding, international schools have a diverse range of students, so you might find someone who can speak the same language that you speak. At least, there will be people there who are in the same situation as you are and they’ll be more understanding overall.

Have confidence in yourself. No one will really care about how tall you are. They would rather care about what kind of a person you are. At least the ones you’d want to hang out with anyway. There is nothing you can change about your height, so accept it, embrace it, and move on. You are perfect just the way you are.

Good luck!
    IGN: Cress
    — 𝒥𝑒 𝓋𝑜𝒾𝓈 𝓁𝒶 𝓋𝒾𝑒 𝑒𝓃 𝓇𝑜𝓈𝑒. —
    “𝒟𝑜𝓊𝒷𝓉 𝓀𝒾𝓁𝓁𝓈 𝓂𝑜𝓇𝑒 𝒹𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓂𝓈 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓃 𝒻𝒶𝒾𝓁𝓊𝓇𝑒 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁.”

Quote Originally Posted by YumYumCookie View Post
    Judging by this thread, your written English is pretty good. There are a noticeable amount of grammatical errors, but nothing that stops me from understanding what you’re trying to express. Spoken English can be a completely different challenge. Don’t focus on making your sentences grammatically correct. Instead, focus on getting your voice, your thoughts, and your ideas out there. The only way you can improve your spoken English is by speaking. Learn all of the essential words and phrases people use in their daily lives instead of advanced words that even native English speakers might not even know about. Eventually, you’ll learn all the grammar rules and apply them when you’re speaking. In addition, watch your preferred movies or tv shows in English with closed captions on. You’ll learn conversational phrases and words that way. You can also do the same by reading. Not textbooks, but novels.

Being exposed to a new environment can be difficult. However, there is nothing you can’t get used to given time. You mentioned that you’ll be attending an international school. From my understanding, international schools have a diverse range of students, so you might find someone who can speak the same language that you speak. At least, there will be people there who are in the same situation as you are and they’ll be more understanding overall.

Have confidence in yourself. No one will really care about how tall you are. They would rather care about what kind of a person you are. At least the ones you’d want to hang out with anyway. There is nothing you can change about your height, so accept it, embrace it, and move on. You are perfect just the way you are.

Good luck!
    Thank you for the reply but the problem is learning English takes a long time, is there a way to get this done fast?

For friends, I still don’t know would they really want to talk with someone who has no English with no reputation?

The second one is the biggest problem.

Hmmm i would recommend discord chatting someone that speaks proper english so he can correct your grammatical errors or spelling errors just a thought never tried this before
    Join our Jahy-Sama discord server

https://imageproxy.ifunny.co/crop:x-20,resize:320x,crop:x800,quality:90x75/images/4a395a47cc1ac6d5c1141763cb3b5b1873f6b48f97bed31d31  0248a3523e00fb_1.jpg

I understand that meeting new people and talking on another language is kinda difficult and you need to practice, because practice is the key to victory. I mean, talking to random people on another language in real life helps a lot.

Of course, you need to make new friends, because they will help you in case if you didn't understand something.

Plus, people won't judge you because of your height, since we all are perfect the way we are, anyway.

I hope you'll have a great time with your new friends, Toby!
    "Forgiveness doesn't make the other person right; it makes you free."
    - Stormie Omartian

Quote Originally Posted by Oma357 View Post
    Hmmm i would recommend discord chatting someone that speaks proper english so he can correct your grammatical errors or spelling errors just a thought never tried this before
    I’ve tried chatting in big servers instead of gaming stuff, I mean is there some kind of proper bot which fixes your mistakes?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TurtlePirate View Post
    I understand that meeting new people and talking on another language is kinda difficult and you need to practice, because practice is the key to victory. I mean, talking to random people on another language in real life helps a lot.

Of course, you need to make new friends, because they will help you in case if you didn't understand something.

Plus, people won't judge you because of your height, since we all are perfect the way we are, anyway.

I hope you'll have a great time with your new friends, Toby!
    I mean, I don’t think I’ll have friends. They are already friends, people in my age are like gangs they act cool and they are not that kind-looking.

Your english is fine

Quote Originally Posted by Vale0203 View Post
    Your english is fine
    I don’t think so, but I need ways to improve it.

Watching series is fine but it takes time develop, reading books is another solution.

There’s something wrong with reading books, when you start an English-written book you have to read it until it ends without giving time.

When you drop off some time and take a break, you forget all the vocabulary and stuff.

There are no more ways, for real this is a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by TobyLerasco View Post
    I’ve tried chatting in big servers instead of gaming stuff, I mean is there some kind of proper bot which fixes your mistakes?

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, I don’t think I’ll have friends. They are already friends, people in my age are like gangs they act cool and they are not that kind-looking.
    You'll find new friends, I promise.

I mean, your English is good, so there won't be any problems!
    "Forgiveness doesn't make the other person right; it makes you free."
    - Stormie Omartian

Negative thinking would put you into depression. Don't be very anxious like me and think positively.
    All is fair in love and war

The bad part is, this country is an English-Speaking country.
    Hold up, how is this a bad thing? You clearly know English, so it's not like you'll have any trouble communicating.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

no context
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohlid View Post
    dywinnie u can start pweeb with me owo we can bwender s togwetter :3 pwetty pwease

oh yeah btw my discord is @Dynnie#3475

Quote Originally Posted by DynPlaysGT View Post
    Hold up, how is this a bad thing? You clearly know English, so it's not like you'll have any trouble communicating.
    Most peoples have problem communicating in English because they learn English on internet and not in class, that's why some peoples have problem speaking English.
    All is fair in love and war

Just try to seem confident and make yourself easy to talk to. I'd think that most people could overlook the fact that your english might not be that good (at least according to you, I think it's actually really good and you're just doubting yourself) if you are someone they can hold a conversation with as most people are probably in the same situation and all. I know as a personal thing me (and most of my friends) would try to include someone who's talking and potentially getting ignored but not if you're doing something else as then we wouldn't want to be annoying when we think someone doesn't want to talk. Try to stay out of small talk if you've known someone for a while and find things that you can talk about as usually small talk conversations tend to be a bit dry and awkward. Think about what you're gonna say but don't overthink it, things will just naturally come out. I do think you're just overthinking it, whatever happens happens and you just have to find friends that suit your personality. If you try to talk to most people at least once then you'll most likely find a group of friends. Good luck!
    pfp drawn by memo4ever

IGN: rrix

[❌]Level: 64/125
    [❌]Dls: 40/100
    [❌]Gems: 712k/1m
    [✔️]Dirt: 1/1

I am the memelord

End goal: Try out every part of gt

As for your English, you should be fine.

As for making friends, well, your location tells a lot about yourself, and if you're in middle school, you should be able to fit in,provided that the people there share the same interests as you. But how should I know, I liked keeping things to myself, so in the case of not connecting with others, it's best to go with Plan B and try to make yourself interesting. It should probably work.Probably.

A NEET but has a stable job at a cafe

Would try to help whenever possible,except for trying to be social,of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroczy View Post
    As for your English, you should be fine.

As for making friends, well, your location tells a lot about yourself, and if you're in middle school, you should be able to fit in,provided that the people there share the same interests as you. But how should I know, I liked keeping things to myself, so in the case of not connecting with others, it's best to go with Plan B and try to make yourself interesting. It should probably work.Probably.
    I’m in high school, if you ever know how people are ganged up on high schools you’d understand.

In every world-country, high schoolers are counted as teenagers and they act weird and stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadStrelok View Post
    Most peoples have problem communicating in English because they learn English on internet and not in class, that's why some peoples have problem speaking English.
    Actually True, I have some basic problems but the fact is let’s presume I’m having a talk with someone and in the minute I forget a word which I’m supposed to use.

This is no joke, If I can’t communicate good in English It won’t be easy for me.

The other part, people won’t talk to me because of my English. I don’t think anyone would have an healthy talk with me because of my English.

My mother tongue is not english but I can speak fluently without any “foreign” accent
    I grew up with English all around me so I just picked up through other people’s speech
    A good way is to watch english movies you can pick up from them I know people who have done this and they have very good English with a slight accent
    IGN: iChickenYT
    Subscribe to iChickenGT

Thank you for the reply but the problem is learning English takes a long time, is there a way to get this done fast?

For friends, I still don’t know would they really want to talk with someone who has no English with no reputation?

The second one is the biggest problem.
    Rome wasn’t built in a day. Learning a new language will take time. Unfortunately, the only way you can really improve your English is to keep speaking it consistently. Surround yourself with the most English as possible. Speak to people in English, think in English, change your phone Language to English, etc. When you move, you’ll be forced to speak English. Making mistakes is inevitable, but keep making them because you’ll learn from them. Keep blabbering. Yeah, it won’t be easy, but it’s not supposed to be. Within the span from a few months to a few years, you’ll be confident and comfortable with speaking the language. Occasionally, people who are English-fluent will make grammatical errors or not understand certain words. They never stop learning. So don’t expect yourself to.

If you’re trying to befriend people who aren’t patient enough to try to understand you regardless of what language you speak or how well you speak it, they’re not worth becoming your friends anyway. There are people out there who’ll be happy to help you, not only with your English but with grasping your unfamiliar surroundings as well. They’ll be there to finish your sentences if you can’t think of the correct words. High schoolers aren’t all evil. You’ll be okay.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to contact me.
    IGN: Cress
    — 𝒥𝑒 𝓋𝑜𝒾𝓈 𝓁𝒶 𝓋𝒾𝑒 𝑒𝓃 𝓇𝑜𝓈𝑒. —
    “𝒟𝑜𝓊𝒷𝓉 𝓀𝒾𝓁𝓁𝓈 𝓂𝑜𝓇𝑒 𝒹𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓂𝓈 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓃 𝒻𝒶𝒾𝓁𝓊𝓇𝑒 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁.”

Your English is fine. Everyone makes mistakes, and I do too. My English is not perfect either. Your English may not be perfect but I'm sure everyone will understand what you're saying. But you will need to learn academic vocabulary because you'll have to learn from textbooks.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Think of times when you learned your mother language. You were just a kid and you weren't afraid to speak incorrectly. You just said anything you want.

Friends aren't hard to find. They are everywhere. Speak openly with them and they'll listen to you. You'll find them. Good luck and prepare for culture shock.
    Last edited by ChickyBro; 07-22-2019 at 03:49 AM.
    Started watching anime for real since August 1, 2019 and it seems to be hard to go back to watching western animation since I added too many stuff in my watchlist.