Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [DEBATE] Punishment system requires a revamp.

Default [DEBATE] Punishment system requires a revamp.

Hello, dear Forumers, members of the Staff

I deliver to you a scarcely discussed topic, the punishment system. I believe the punishment system requires rebalancing, and a more definitive guide on punishments. As how the current system stands, the punishment times seem to be unbalanced, unstable, and often too harsh. There does not seem to be a set time for a specific offense, asides from the few more common ones, and that is a major problem.

Looking at the moderating system we have currently, and the amount of complaints from players about their bans, one can notice that players receive similar punishments for vastly different offenses. To make it more clear, I agree with bots being suspended, however, I do not agree with players getting the same punishment for another rule broken. Punishments are there to be learnt from, not to force players to evade on an alternate account.

It also seems to me that players are unaware of the consequences for their actions, for I cannot find a single place where there is written what punishment will you be given for a specific offense. Currently mods are to measure the severity of an action themselves, and this often leads to punishments being way too lengthy. With moderators giving out punishments all day long, at some point it seems to me that the punishment times have started to inflate and I do not think I am the only one who has noticed this.

Additionally, it never ceases to amaze me, how the rules seem to still be focused around old, dying scam trends. Drop games have almost ceased to exist, and I have zero idea why some people still host those, and to me it seems that moderators focusing on old trends is a waste of manpower, not to mention that the punishment for hosting a dropgame is 2 months, an awfully long time for something that is not actually harmful, yet newer scams go unpunished.

I do not expect all of my facts to be correct in this thread, but I believe it to be close to the actual situation. I thank you for reading this and hope to hear your insight on the topic.

Banned

No, its fair, the fact that a mod can ban someone with a clean record that's been playing for 6 years for 730d just for saying N*gger is odiously 100% reasonable because you know being racist irl results in a life sentence too....

THIS IS A GODDAM JOKE if someone brainless couldn't tell alrdy

Yup, definitely...

On a more personal note, I pointedly remember JackBowe setting strict and precise punishments in the Ancients Server for each offense, which worked well considering the number of people on the server and the small amount of staff. Perhaps a more diverse group of moderators reflects their judgements...it needs to be standardized nonetheless.

Furthermore, I believe that moderators should go through a graduated learning curve, accepting more responsibility as they get more mature as a moderator. Having new mods going into the support team can be frustrating.

I'll make it "short" because i've more to say towards the subject but it clearly does not seem that the scale of punishments are differing from the type of offense anymore and very quickly goes to a suspension despite more aggravating issues caused by few players

Most notably recently where players in general causing social issues seem to be treated the same way as the players worst things that you could do in this game; it's a problem and record just doesn't seem to be checked anymore. The "system" in general is really just pure lack of investigation and also a lack of putting things in their proper context, which can cause all sorts of misjudgements and application of harsh sanctions - remember the recent block bashers event. Despite the event obviously, indirectly promoting macro-ing, it was and most definitely caused false bans that players themselves can't appeal because of something that cannot be properly checked.

Humans makes mistakes, but not letting players to even get their punishments discussed with their own versions of the stories and instead copy pastes being sent all over brings up unhealthy, definitely unwanted derogatory remarks towards the game and social uproar. Ignorance.
    A recipe finder. A GT Wikia Admin. Playing since Feb 2013.
    Level: 125 - L Title/Dragon/DK Wings Done - Sponsored Mystical Etherboard
    IGN: TK69

A suspension for simply advertising an illegal activity that they do no conduct feels way too hefty. If they want longer punishments, make them 120-365 days long. Growtopia has grown a lot since the original punishment system was put in place, and they might have not bothered with longer punishments as they might've not known the game would've survived that long (hence it would jump from like 60~ days to 730 days (aka a suspension)).

Longer punishments would keep players away from the game enough to rethink their actions but would also give willing players to return so that their accounts do not become obsolete. Worlds become deserted with valuable and useful names that may affect the future negatively - this or change the decay system so that admins are negated on locks or, at least, notify the player of the names of the admins so that they can be contacted instead of "Someone with access played X days ago", because that is useless information).
    Last edited by Techy; 07-24-2019 at 08:53 PM.
    𝓶𝔂 𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓵𝓭𝓼 : PURPOSES ¦ SELFDEPRIVED ¦ FEARLISTENS ¦ RIFT ¦ PSYCHOVILLE ¦ ROYALFESTIVAL
    32 WOTDs

Discord Tag: xdpical#7777

Quote Originally Posted by Nenkaai View Post
    Humans make mistakes, but not letting players to even get their punishments discussed with their own versions of the stories and instead copy-pastes being sent all over brings up unhealthy, definitely unwanted derogatory remarks towards the game and social uproar. Ignorance.
    The automated e-mails are incredibly aggravating and disrespectful to the players. I understand that the support desk is majorly busy at most times with issues at hand, but do they even read the messages before sending a copy-pasted reply? It seems they don't, as I got a reply that was copy-pasted and had little to do with my subject at hand aside from some "key-word" similarities. Searching for key-words and giving automated replies isn't very good for those with complicated issues that will pick-up these automated messages with such key-words. Having to resend your e-mail to support just creates a hassle.
    𝓶𝔂 𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓵𝓭𝓼 : PURPOSES ¦ SELFDEPRIVED ¦ FEARLISTENS ¦ RIFT ¦ PSYCHOVILLE ¦ ROYALFESTIVAL
    32 WOTDs

Discord Tag: xdpical#7777

Yes I believe there should be another method of punishment
    Make the most out of life. Be happy and do all the things you want to do.

Master Sorcerer

I agree, the punishment system needs to be updated. 730d bans are too harsh on small offenses. As Techy said, there should be custom bans that isn't 60d or 730d. There is a lot of miscommunication between older moderators and the newly hired ones, leading to inconsistency in the rules. For example, I still don't know if selling artwork for world locks are illegal since I've received two completely opposite answers from an old mod and an Ubisoft employee. Rules are not clear, leading to punished people arguing and attempting to appeal their bans. Even though the Growtopian Code exists, it is still vague and unclear. /Rules need an update, as not a lot of people will go on the forums to read the Growtopian Code.
    Growtopia is like drugs, even worse.
    IGN: Zeh
    Level: 100
    Instagram: @zeh_gt

From my perspective, there should be annulments and some changes in the system. Some punishments are too harsh and noxious to the player base.

Some of the bans are not easy to understand because of its non-pellucid reasons. Before giving a suspension, they can give shorter bans, in addition, to ease the consciousness of the player about the case and the rule they've broken.

As Techy has stated, they'll get to discern what they've done, afterward when they come back, they'll raise awareness to the community in a positive way.

The ban duration and the rules can be subsumed accordingly. The principal objections to this system are the following: - (1) The extraordinary difficulty in obtaining satisfactory unbans and replies from support and the team in such cases, and the fact that these bans are not formed on all, or rules and ban periods not being developed during and after new rules are being added.

Most notably and ostensible are recently where a player(s) in general causing harassments/insultments seem to be treated the same way as the players who've broken the rules which are red-flagged. This whole rule-applying system, in general, is lack of investigation in such cases and applying in their proper ban-periods, which can cause sorts of ignores and harsher treatments in the support desk.

The worst part of all this was stated in a reply, we can't discuss our issues which are attention and importance requiring. Sending automated-replies is not nice, we're all humans no matter what our age is and our problems should be heard.

From the un-salubrious point of view, these cases with their own problems, the more recondite. I feel like there's a non-existing discussion with the support desk due to our cases get closed with-in 2 emails without being considered and investigated in a cautious way. Afterward, our emails get ignored.

Again, as stated by Techy worlds get deserted, we get to have nothing useable in lieu of it, which affects the economy.

It's evidently clear that players are insensible of the actions they take, there's no such statement which shows what punishment will the player be given for a specific rule the player breaks.

Still, I've been complaining for a lengthy time to add the new rules to the rules list, however still not added.

Every few months, a new one comes along, each promising unprecedented verisimilitude of a change in the system, nothing really changes.

I strongly believe actions are being taken against rule-breakers and people who use 3rd party applications to break the game, however, there should be a change in the rule system and the new rules should be added.
    Join Forumers United, Join now!

All for one and one for all, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

Quote Originally Posted by Kranken View Post

I deliver to you a scarcely discussed topic, the punishment system. I believe the punishment system requires rebalancing, and a more definitive guide on punishments. As how the current system stands, the punishment times seem to be unbalanced, unstable, and often too harsh. There does not seem to be a set time for a specific offense, asides from the few more common ones, and that is a major problem.

Looking at the moderating system we have currently, and the amount of complaints from players about their bans, one can notice that players receive similar punishments for vastly different offenses. To make it more clear, I agree with bots being suspended, however, I do not agree with players getting the same punishment for another rule broken. Punishments are there to be learnt from, not to force players to evade on an alternate account.

It also seems to me that players are unaware of the consequences for their actions, for I cannot find a single place where there is written what punishment will you be given for a specific offense. Currently mods are to measure the severity of an action themselves, and this often leads to punishments being way too lengthy. With moderators giving out punishments all day long, at some point it seems to me that the punishment times have started to inflate and I do not think I am the only one who has noticed this.

Additionally, it never ceases to amaze me, how the rules seem to still be focused around old, dying scam trends. Drop games have almost ceased to exist, and I have zero idea why some people still host those, and to me it seems that moderators focusing on old trends is a waste of manpower, not to mention that the punishment for hosting a dropgame is 2 months, an awfully long time for something that is not actually harmful, yet newer scams go unpunished.

I do not expect all of my facts to be correct in this thread, but I believe it to be close to the actual situation. I thank you for reading this and hope to hear your insight on the topic.
    I 100% agree with you. The punishment system needs to be updated and improved. Also, I see a lot of players confused on why they were punished. Maybe growtopia should email them an explanation on why they were banned instead of just saying "YOU HAVE BEEN BANNED FROM GROWTOPIA FOR 60 DAYS" and if they had any questions just email support. I remember my brother being cursed without knowing what he did wrong. It would be nice to receive some explanation..
    Not only does the entire punishment system need to be fixed but the support desk too. Im tired of emailing support then not even receive an email back and if i did receive an email it would be on of those little automated messages..
    Its not 2015 anymore, your players have been having the same issues for YEARS and we still haven't had any changes.
    Check out my channel

Quote Originally Posted by lucklife View Post
    Please recycle our souls too

Quote Originally Posted by FuryTurtleGT View Post
    I just got taped by Restford when he said he was going to tape everyone in the world for 15 mins. Turns out the tape is 10 hours long and to top it all off, he said "have fun" and left. I love Growtopia.
    I can’t understand, did he tape you for 10 hours for no reason?

All for one and one for all, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

Quote Originally Posted by FuryTurtleGT View Post
    Yeah it was for no reason because everyone in the world asked for tape 5-10 mins. Restford was like okay 15 mins? Next thing you know it says 10 hours.

correction it was vvcephei
    Oh, sad. Just wait 10 hours?

Master Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by TobyLerasco View Post
    Oh, sad. Just wait 10 hours?
    just fire the mod?

Quote Originally Posted by NotZeh View Post
    just fire the mod?
    No, no I like how she spawns and then drops wrenches everywhere.

Angry

I strongly agree and had been banned even though it says warning and second of all i had just been banned to a glitch

Here’s a cool story of something that happened yesterday:

Someone sb’d in the world CHILDAUCTION (which was previously approved for use by a mod as long as nothing sexual or racist happened in the world) while the owner and admin were offline. Restford came in for 1 second and then instantly nuked the world.

Low and behold, both the owner and admin in that world were permanently suspended for something that was not the fault of anyone with access? I thought that worlds and their owners could only be punished for inside actions if they are caused by the owner/admin.

They both emailed support and sure enough, they get a copy paste reply by RESTFORD herself saying they were in trouble for the happenings of a sexual world. This is despite the fact that the world got nuked 30 seconds after it was SB’d in so nothing could have happened. And the fact that they were not even online at the time.

It may just be me, but the new Canadian support teams don’t really seem to understand how to properly punish players whatsoever, and spend a good amount of time taping worlds full of players for 10 hours and also signing boards in scam worlds like BUYGALLEK.

It should also be said that the two suspended members were loved in the community especially on forums Aquarious and ankha (aka punchy)

It truest is a disgrace and they should be unbanned immediately, as these two members have done more for the community (albeit years ago) through hosting major events on forums than the Canadian support team ever has.

I don’t want to hear “blah blah blah have them contact support” they already had, and the same personal that wrongfully suspended them for something that wasn’t illegal or their fault replied to them.
    IGN: Noodle (previously Noodle905)

Just your average dude who enjoys playing the game and solving riddles

https://www.upload.ee/image/9292002/heallvishere.png

Quote Originally Posted by NekoRei View Post
    Damn I clicked on it... I was Luis Fonzied

Master Sorcerer

I asked vvCephei if selling artwork for wls was illegal and her response was "no idea." She is a support specialist, who should be able to answer questions regarding the rules. These Canadian mods really need to be trained more in every possible scenario dealing with situations. I understand that they are support specialists not moderators. They shouldn't even be hanging around with people in Growtopia if they sit behind a computer reading e-mails.

Looks like mods need some #reeducation

Currently mods are to measure the severity of an action themselves, and this often leads to punishments being way too lengthy.
    This. I wholeheartedly agree with this. Not only could they end up being too lengthy, but also unfair.

They definitely need a completely straightforward guideline for punishments. This will prevent a lot of problems from occurring.

With all due respect to our Canadian Support team, but some if not all of them need more experience and training. Contradictions keep on happening, which confuses the players. There should be consistency.

Hopefully this will be taken into consideration.
    IGN: TheJackerino (Used to be known as MagicalJack)
    Previous name on the forums: Jackjeff01

Funny how most problems arose when they first came, we probably had many mod oopsies this month than the previous years.. I don't really know where to even begin

They seem to be giving punishment lengthes depending on their moods, sometimes they are either too strict or too slack. Really depends on how suck up the person getting the punishment is to the mods instead of how severe the action is. And I wouldn't be surprised if everyone who posted here got stalked and banned for the tiniest of actions.

Also there seems to be a lack of miscommunication between mods. Considering that the mods have different opinions, thus us players get confused as we could get suddenly banned from something that another mod approved, but another one didn't. Just take a look on what happened yesterday. If Cooperation occurred then those valuable players won't get banned from yesterday event.

And boy let's not talk about support, in addition to the excess automated messages and the untrained Canadian support team. Some mods who can ban you in-game are also the ones who view support messages, meaning that if you got banned unjustly by a mod who also works as support, don't expect much as your ticket could get dismissed... This is a disaster as you couldn't get someone else involved.

I don't know who thought giving mod powers to the new support team is a good idea. Support should never do the mods work.

A revamp is seriously required and mod investigations should occur. Losing thousands of hours of work unjustly of from the smallest things is seriously not fun.