Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Complaint - Cooking, Gross Out & Mutant Kitchen

  1. #1
    Master Sorcerer Oldsock (IGN)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Sock Drawer
    Posts
    5,944

    Default Complaint - Cooking, Gross Out & Mutant Kitchen

    Cooking is one of my favourite features in the game - because it has potential. I was excited at the prospect of a cooking event, but let down by the fact that it felt unclear and felt purposeless. I'm not on this band wagon of hating gross items, I would have liked to see maybe some normal foods out there too, but the gross theme was very unique and I liked it. I'm not a big fan of it simply being removed/changed. Back when the /dab command was added, most people were against it but it stayed, some people were against Gross Out and bam! There it goes.

    I'll start with the massive issue with Cooking, it's an issue with most mini-games in Growtopia, but none more than cooking. Backpack space. There are over 30 recipes, each using several somewhat unique ingredients, totaling over 100 possible ingredients + 3 spices + cooking failures + successfully cooked foods. However, the maximum backpack space is only 196, for an event with like 10 different recipes, it's overwhelming how many times you'll need to clean up inventory space to make enough room to try cook each of the different recipes. There needs to be a separate compartment of inventory that can store your ingredients/food products; having to drop 40 items, cook for the event, store the cooked items/leftover ingredients and then pick up your items again is a hassle turning people away from cooking and mutant kitchen.

    Another issue with cooking is the recipes, some recipes have ingredients that are just flat-out a pain to buy due to their price and/or supply. Good luck cooking Gingerbread Cookies or Chocolate Bunnies this time of year. And yes cooking them all-year-round is an issue despite the fact that they originate from an event; because they have food buffs unique to them and are requirements for the Chef Role Quests. The thing about ingredients is even if a recipe costs under 50 WLS, if it's still more than 30 WLS that's an expensive recipe. There will be cooking failures, whether it's because of lag or human error, and you will very rarely cook a recipe a single time. Take for example the Role Quests which are known to ask for 2 of the same recipe, or the fact that food buffs only last 30 minutes and if you're going to grind for 4 hours, you'll need 8 of a certain cooked item.

    Something about cooking in general; there isn't much information out there, you have to go to the wiki, and sometimes those recipes are inaccurate. I have most of the recipes in a file and BlueBuzz has a world BUFF which has most of the recipes, but I think the game needs a cook-book. A consumable akin to Growapedia, that gets updated upon cooking a new recipe and contains information about all recipes, their ingredients, how to cook them at each temperature and what food buffs the items give when cooked. This would make cooking much easier than having excel spreadsheets for all the cooking information or scouring worlds/the wiki. An example of how this would work is: after cooking Berry Crepes on Low and Medium heat, you would be able to view their recipes for low and medium heat. The recipes should also contain what spices in what quantities will give the best percentages. Recipes as they stand are far too ambiguous.

    Another quick note about cooking is that in a game that frequently lags, it is very based on timing, cooking should be a little more considerate to percentages given how much lag plays a factor in undoing hard work.

    This leads onto my next point, when Gross Out and Mutant Kitchen have come out, the updates have kept the typical "everything is a secret" ideology where there are weird unexplained blemishes that appear on your body while eating Mutated Foods and somehow they relate to the prize pools. Also, there's no indication of how much food you need to eat or what foods you need to eat for what items. There's a point where too little information just sucks the fun out of an update. Not knowing how much food we need to ingest per prize or what foods lead to what prize pools is just a pain and a half. I think you're supposed to eat around 10 gross foods for an item, and there's something to do with blemishes but meh, this update has no information on it and is not easy on people looking to enjoy the update at a relaxed pace. 3 days to figure out what all the absurdity means is quite a strain.

    Mutant Kitchen was an unnecessary change, Gross Out was already a fine event. Regardless, I don't mind the event changing, but suddenly making 3 interesting/cool items unobtainable is awful for people who actually want to use them without having to track 1 of 9 Riding Roaches. Another point about these events, is that like with most events these days, they feel like there is no purpose to them. Events in general are getting really boring for most older players, they're feeling a bit old hat. Some form of progression or purpose to participate in events, not necessarily something untradeable, but definitely something rewarding that makes it worth the time spent (such as an untradeable item ) would be a good addition. Since monthly events occur fairly frequently, events such as Mutant Kitchen could easily require active participation in 5 iterations of the event to complete said milestones.

    Also needing a stopwatch for certain recipes is pretty bad, a rebalance of cooking so that it can be played purely in-game without needing Start/Finish flags or a mobile phone/stopwatch next to you would be good. An example of a recipe that doesn't need a stopwatch is Berry Crepes, you can use the ingredient's cooking status to determine when the next ingredient needs to be added, that isn't the case with all recipes but it really should be.

    Ok that's my rant for now, if I think of anything else I may add it. Let me know if you agree with or don't agree with anything or all of my thread and I'll be more than happy to discuss it. I don't hate cooking at all, it's one of my favourite features, but these are all the problems I have with it, and it's associated event.
    Growtopia: Oldsock/Oldzock
    Instagram: @sockia
    Discord: Oldsock#0653

  2. #2
    Master Sorcerer Corrects's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,685

    Default

    Awwwwww man
    Current Status
    - Single parent of two
    - Dating
    - 67 years old
    - Professional Growtopia E-Sports player

  3. #3
    Master Sorcerer Sprite Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Fleeing from evil Kree
    Posts
    549

    Default

    Yup, basically that; Gross-Out failed because players knew too little about cooking in general and how each food works (something Mutant Kitchen doesn't even try to help), not because of insects and eyeballs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsock (IGN) View Post
    Back when the /dab command was added, most people were against it but it stayed, some people were against Gross Out and bam! There it goes.
    In-game name: Zierfandler
    Growtopia Wiki's admin.

  4. #4
    Master Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Personally, what makes cooking appealing to me is that I have to test and time each ingredient to come up with a successful recipe. I don't really like the idea of having a cook book that tells players what to do. Spending the time and effort to research and come up with perfect timings is a skill. However, a lot of players don't want to spend that effort which I can understand, it's not for everyone. The lag issue is something that is unavoidable when it comes to game features that requires timings. I experience it all the time and it sucks, but I would much rather cooking be based on timings that you have to discover yourself.

    I thoroughly enjoyed Gross Out(never enjoyed an event so much before) and I seriously don't understand why it was revamped. I know it didn't receive much attention from players but the revamp didn't help it gain more attention. Mutant Kitchen pretty much works exactly the same as Gross Out. Drop rates for prizes hasn't seemed to be improved much either and I don't see the point of it being a monthly event.

    Gross Out was a confusing event and multiple threads were made to ask the devs how things worked. I think part of the reason why Gross Out a 'failure' was the lack of communication between the devs and players. We weren't given sufficient information to work things out. The different prize pools were confusing.

  5. #5
    Master Sorcerer Deno855's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,789

    Default

    It just isn't a good event with the items being rng and so so hard to obtain its stupid tbh
    Not sure why I'm back but I'm back
    IGN: Deno855
    TRUE OG
    Level: 64
    Gems: 263k / 1mil
    WLS: Who even cares its the effort
    Instagram: @deno855_gt

  6. #6
    Lesser Wizard Crystex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solarex View Post
    Personally, what makes cooking appealing to me is that I have to test and time each ingredient to come up with a successful recipe. I don't really like the idea of having a cook book that tells players what to do. Spending the time and effort to research and come up with perfect timings is a skill. However, a lot of players don't want to spend that effort which I can understand, it's not for everyone. The lag issue is something that is unavoidable when it comes to game features that requires timings. I experience it all the time and it sucks, but I would much rather cooking be based on timings that you have to discover yourself.

    I thoroughly enjoyed Gross Out(never enjoyed an event so much before) and I seriously don't understand why it was revamped. I know it didn't receive much attention from players but the revamp didn't help it gain more attention. Mutant Kitchen pretty much works exactly the same as Gross Out. Drop rates for prizes hasn't seemed to be improved much either and I don't see the point of it being a monthly event.

    Gross Out was a confusing event and multiple threads were made to ask the devs how things worked. I think part of the reason why Gross Out a 'failure' was the lack of communication between the devs and players. We weren't given sufficient information to work things out. The different prize pools were confusing.
    I'm with Solar, a big part of cooking is discovering how to perfect your timings and recipes. There are plenty of worlds with timings you can check out aswell such as HELPCOOK for normal recipes and BUYMUTANTKITCHEN for perfected mutant recipes. That being said, i agree the inventory system could definitely do with a change, i am constantly dropping all of my surg and cooking items to make room in my backpack.

  7. #7
    Master Sorcerer Devours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    here & now
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    cooking is underrated, should get more traction tbh...

    but understood your point nonetheless, too little info, it's like starting from the cave times again

    My comments can be harsh, but atleast im not fake with my replies.

    -IGN: Dvours


  8. #8
    Master Sorcerer
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    I spent like 2 minutes thinking of something funny to write here. I can't think of anything.
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    nobody cares
    IGN: PoseidionYT

    The worst kind of people are those who put Moderators saying their names in their signature. How pretentious.

  9. #9
    Master Sorcerer JimIzPro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwing View Post
    nobody cares
    I literally just scrolled down the thread and saw this

    +1
    This Growtopia film is still god damn relevant

  10. #10
    Master Sorcerer TheNightmxre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    937

    Default

    Hunting1 of the 9 roaches in existence isn't hard. Hunting 1 of the 1-3 beast with a thousand eyes head mask on the other hand... just have to see when they will bring them back. but seeing as to how the lucky rabbits foot has been gone for years ever since it was replaced by cad, it might not be soon.

    Thing I didn't like is they changed it to mutant kitchen due to complaints about gross out being trash, but all they did was pretty much change the term gross to mutant.
    hello

    Grossout event items are underrated, eyes on stalks are a masterpiece.

  11. #11
    Master Sorcerer Techy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Britain
    Posts
    5,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezy View Post
    cooking is underrated, should get more traction tbh...

    but understood your point nonetheless, too little info, it's like starting from the cave times again
    Most activities are underrated... the things that are rated are the activities that are actually worthwhile, like Startopia, Surgery and farming. Like what they did with the latest surgery update, I'd prefer them to focus on updating older activities and content to make them feel fresh and rewarding in the long run, alongside much-needed QOL changes.
    𝓶𝔂 𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓵𝓭𝓼 : PURPOSES ¦ SELFDEPRIVED ¦ FEARLISTENS ¦ RIFT ¦ PSYCHOVILLE ¦ ROYALFESTIVAL
    32 WOTDs

    Discord Tag: xdpical#7777

  12. #12
    Master Sorcerer QueenChloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Off
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    Yeah and how we know why people said in poll that it was too gross? Did anyone think that someone maybe said that, cause they was salty people who doesn't know how to cook, or too poor to cook? People will say in polls like this that it was bad, if they couldn't participate in it. I didn't think that it was too gross, it was fun totally new stuff.
    Level: 125
    Main: QUEENCHLOEGT
    My first farm:CHLOESCASTLE
    Guild home: QUEENSGUILD
    Instagram: QueenChloeGT

  13. #13
    Master Sorcerer RaySia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sia’s Basement
    Posts
    2,701

    Default

    I never cared for cooking mainly because the ingredients are expensive and chances of failing is high. I’m sure most players like me don’t time their ingredients properly. I always cook using the trial and error system where race flags aren’t involved.

    Adding on to that, I don’t think each and every food we cook necessarily has to have a buff. The problem with these recipes are they only focus on the buff which honestly most of us would care less about and thus making the recipe costly all because of the buff. They could randomly make up a cheap recipe without buff and people would still be happy because it’s an activity that doesn’t require the player to gamble too much wls on and they can learn new recipes on their own without worrying.



  14. #14
    Master Sorcerer Oldsock (IGN)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Sock Drawer
    Posts
    5,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaySia View Post
    I never cared for cooking mainly because the ingredients are expensive and chances of failing is high. I’m sure most players like me don’t time their ingredients properly. I always cook using the trial and error system where race flags aren’t involved.

    Adding on to that, I don’t think each and every food we cook necessarily has to have a buff. The problem with these recipes are they only focus on the buff which honestly most of us would care less about and thus making the recipe costly all because of the buff. They could randomly make up a cheap recipe without buff and people would still be happy because it’s an activity that doesn’t require the player to gamble too much wls on and they can learn new recipes on their own without worrying.
    I agree with a lot of your points, but I think all foods should have a buff, it makes them worth cooking. The reason recipes are expensive is because of the ingredients, demand for the buff plays a role but it's a minuscule contribution. If ingredients were more readily available, Cooking would be far more affordable and enjoyable.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwing View Post
    nobody cares
    Quote Originally Posted by JimIzPro View Post
    I literally just scrolled down the thread and saw this

    +1
    Evidently people do, if you don't have anything worth contributing to the thread there isn't really a need for you to reply; you just come across as rude.
    Growtopia: Oldsock/Oldzock
    Instagram: @sockia
    Discord: Oldsock#0653

  15. #15
    Master Sorcerer Oldsock (IGN)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Sock Drawer
    Posts
    5,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solarex View Post
    Personally, what makes cooking appealing to me is that I have to test and time each ingredient to come up with a successful recipe. I don't really like the idea of having a cook book that tells players what to do. Spending the time and effort to research and come up with perfect timings is a skill. However, a lot of players don't want to spend that effort which I can understand, it's not for everyone. The lag issue is something that is unavoidable when it comes to game features that requires timings. I experience it all the time and it sucks, but I would much rather cooking be based on timings that you have to discover yourself.

    I thoroughly enjoyed Gross Out(never enjoyed an event so much before) and I seriously don't understand why it was revamped. I know it didn't receive much attention from players but the revamp didn't help it gain more attention. Mutant Kitchen pretty much works exactly the same as Gross Out. Drop rates for prizes hasn't seemed to be improved much either and I don't see the point of it being a monthly event.

    Gross Out was a confusing event and multiple threads were made to ask the devs how things worked. I think part of the reason why Gross Out a 'failure' was the lack of communication between the devs and players. We weren't given sufficient information to work things out. The different prize pools were confusing.
    Yas! Support for the cookbook suggestion! Also I want timing to stay, but I want it to be something you can do 100% in-game, without race flags either. Almost all the other features are contained in Growtopia, but I'm frequently required to pull out my phone for a stopwatch while cooking. And yeah lag is unavoidable, but a more generous system would prevent lag from ruining a recipe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crystex View Post
    I'm with Solar, a big part of cooking is discovering how to perfect your timings and recipes. There are plenty of worlds with timings you can check out aswell such as HELPCOOK for normal recipes and BUYMUTANTKITCHEN for perfected mutant recipes. That being said, i agree the inventory system could definitely do with a change, i am constantly dropping all of my surg and cooking items to make room in my backpack.
    I addressed your points in the main post, while perfecting and discovering timings is great, the cost of ingredients and preciseness of recipes prevents the trial and error method from being enjoyable. I understand your points, though. Also haha I can relate, I'm aiming for my Mercy Angel etc. wings while also trying to play the Mutant Kitchen update.

    Quote Originally Posted by Devours View Post
    cooking is underrated, should get more traction tbh...

    but understood your point nonetheless, too little info, it's like starting from the cave times again
    Yeah, not even the recipes themselves but information on how the Mutant Kitchen update works is restricted, it's in my opinion the hardest event to get into.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNightmxre View Post
    Hunting1 of the 9 roaches in existence isn't hard. Hunting 1 of the 1-3 beast with a thousand eyes head mask on the other hand... just have to see when they will bring them back. but seeing as to how the lucky rabbits foot has been gone for years ever since it was replaced by cad, it might not be soon.

    Thing I didn't like is they changed it to mutant kitchen due to complaints about gross out being trash, but all they did was pretty much change the term gross to mutant.
    I just think items that can be worn and are generally appreciated shouldn't be suddenly removed, people want to use them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    Most activities are underrated... the things that are rated are the activities that are actually worthwhile, like Startopia, Surgery and farming. Like what they did with the latest surgery update, I'd prefer them to focus on updating older activities and content to make them feel fresh and rewarding in the long run, alongside much-needed QOL changes.
    Roles, Blocktor's Orders, (and the update that increased tool drops from 1 to 5; unless that was also Blocktor's Orders), are two of my favourite updates and are updates that made Surgery so much better. I'd really love to see more updates like them. The goal of Mercy Wings + Dr Title are a great addition, alongside several new types of surgeries each with their own prize pools.

    Quote Originally Posted by QueenChloe View Post
    Yeah and how we know why people said in poll that it was too gross? Did anyone think that someone maybe said that, cause they was salty people who doesn't know how to cook, or too poor to cook? People will say in polls like this that it was bad, if they couldn't participate in it. I didn't think that it was too gross, it was fun totally new stuff.
    I think part of the reason a lot of people didn't like Gross Out wasn't the items or the gross theme, it was that they didn't enjoy cooking because of the several problems associated with the feature.
    Growtopia: Oldsock/Oldzock
    Instagram: @sockia
    Discord: Oldsock#0653

  16. #16
    Master Sorcerer QueenChloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Off
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsock (IGN) View Post



    I think part of the reason a lot of people didn't like Gross Out wasn't the items or the gross theme, it was that they didn't enjoy cooking because of the several problems associated with the feature.
    Yep and that i would want to point out. We can't remove items, cause someone don't know how to cook or cause someone doesn't have enough wls to cook gross out stuff. So i think this update was mistake and they should add those removed items back.

    What would happen if we would do same poll again? Lets test ok? Lets see how they say still, it is too gross, change it.
    Level: 125
    Main: QUEENCHLOEGT
    My first farm:CHLOESCASTLE
    Guild home: QUEENSGUILD
    Instagram: QueenChloeGT

  17. #17
    Administrator NekoRei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    In Your Heart
    Posts
    2,628

    Default

    We based the changes on the poll and survey we did. So it whatever changes made were mostly based on the community's response from our survey. Although, we understand your sentiment.

    Closing this thread now.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •