Thread: Superbroadcast Queue System

Banned

Default Superbroadcast Queue System

When superbroadcasts first came out, there used to be no cooldown - they were also relatively cheap, and they weren't a problem. Later on, as the community grew, you could see the SB price being increased in order to counter spam. Eventually, cooldowns were added, such as the 10 minute one which could be very easily skipped. All you had to do is switch the subserver you are on and you would be able to superbroadcast again - that's because it wasn't properly implemented as a playmod. That was until PAW 2019, when we finally see it being implemented as a playmod; meaning it's not possible to skip over the superbroadcast cooldown anymore. While this surely helps us combat spam, it appears to have caused an issue aswell. The superbroadcast block was now more annoying than ever - you could send a broadcast, but another player could just superbroadcast right after you to push your broadcast deep into the sea of nothingness. My suggestion is simple, and I believe would resolve this issue AND would help combat spam further.

Superbroadcast Queue System - how should it work?
    Let's break it down to steps.

1. A player sends a superbroadcast using the /sb command.
    2. A message is returned: "Your superbroadcast has been queued on spot [queue spot]. The player is still given a 10 minute cooldown, so he can't clutter the queue.
    3. Every time interval, a superbroadcast from the queue is being released, and buries the previous superbroadcast in chat.
    4. Everyone is happy. Jimmy doesn't get blocked, and everyone gets equal "air time" for their superbroadcast.

In other words, once you send a superbroadcast, it doesn't send instantly; instead you wait for your turn. Some things that need to be taken care of is that the time interval is not too high; you don't want to fill the queue. I believe a reasonable interval is 10 to 20 seconds. This way, I believe even in peak hours, players would have to wait about 10-15 minutes to get their superbroadcast actually sent. Mods obviously should be allowed to omit the queue. Make sure that the gem count is deducted when the superbroadcast is actually sent, not when it's queued, so that the correct amount of gems is taken from the player.

EDIT 1: About server restarts, I think once the server restart countdown begins, the sbs should no longer be sent. The sb queue should be reset as the server restarts, as no gems will be deducted until it actually sends the superbroadcast.

EDIT 2: Perhaps, the time interval would be somehow dependant on online player count or amount of superbroadcasts in the queue - the more superbroadcasts in the queue, the lesser interval to ensure all sbs are processed within a reasonable amount of time. If there's a hundred superbroadcasts in the queue, even a change from 15 seconds to 10 change of the time interval would be a major enough change to balance it out.

EDIT 3: A /cancelsb command to remove your sb from the queue, in case you have to urgently go and don't wanna have your gems wasted.

I think I listed everything. While this system may have some minor disadvantages, it may work up as a solution to the current issues. Feel free to discuss what you think of this and point out any horrible thing I may have not thought of at the time of writing this.
    Last edited by houzteR; 08-22-2019 at 07:36 PM. Reason: EDIT #3.

lol what is this
    Keep an open mind

Lesser Wizard

you really did put effort into this, but sadly its useless. Imagine sbing and then seeing it after 2 hours from sending it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGrowtopiaChicken View Post
    you really did put effort into this, but sadly its useless. Imagine sbing and then seeing it after 2 hours from sending it.
    That would not be possible with a reasonable time interval; as I stated, a 10-20 second interval would surely ensure all sbs are sent within 10-15minutes, even during peak hours.
    Please consider this:
    Quote Originally Posted by houzteR View Post
    EDIT 2: Perhaps, the time interval would be somehow dependant on online player count or amount of superbroadcasts in the queue - the more superbroadcasts in the queue, the lesser interval to ensure all sbs are processed within a reasonable amount of time. If there's a hundred superbroadcasts in the queue, even a change from 15 seconds to 10 change of the time interval would be a major enough change to balance it out.

I dunno, what if you're SBing something about a giveaway, but you have to go within 10 minutes because you have school or something? Then you end up wasting your gems and stuff. :/
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”

IGN: AllyCat22
    Level: 55
    Guild: Coil (GL)

POSITIVE. MENTAL. ATTITUDE.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyCat22 View Post
    I dunno, what if you're SBing something about a giveaway, but you have to go within 10 minutes because you have school or something? Then you end up wasting your gems and stuff. :/
    then just don't sb

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AllyCat22 View Post
    Please consider this:
    A /cancelsb command to remove your sb from the queue, in case you have to urgently go and don't wanna have your gems wasted.

Please consider this:
    Considered. But to be honest, the megaphone mod/countdown isn't that bad. I kind of like it.
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”

IGN: AllyCat22
    Level: 55
    Guild: Coil (GL)

POSITIVE. MENTAL. ATTITUDE.

What about megaphones and /cancelsb
    Give a man a wl, and he will learn to rely on you.
    Teach a man to make wls and you'll set him up for success.
    IGN:Tellicant Main:U9

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zynek3 View Post
    What about megaphones and /cancelsb
    They would have to work similiarly to Wolf Whistles, I'd say.

Post Replies to Superbroadcast Quece System

Imagine if 100 super broadcasts in the queue you need to wait like 16 minutes to actually sent (calculate from 10 seconds delay for each sb) because the player base is BIG and Marketing Competition still exists so if player A sent an sb about vend world grand opening and player B will block the sb and boom! player A lost their gems/megaphone (basically player sb blocked lost benefit and player sb blocker got the benefit)
    Last edited by UltricOneg; 08-23-2019 at 09:30 AM. Reason: egh. i need to fit a lot of grammar error

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UltricOneg View Post
    Imagine if 100 super broadcasts in the queue you need to wait like 10 hours to actually sent (calculate from 10 minute delay for each sb)because the player base is BIG and Marketing Competition still exists so if player A sent an sb about vend world grand opening and player B will block the sb and boom! player A lost their gems/megaphone (basically player sb blocked lost benefit and player sb blocker got benefit)
    I quite literally stated that the time interval would be 10 seconds, not 10 minutes. Please read the thread.

I quite literally stated that the time interval would be 10 seconds, not 10 minutes. Please read the thread.
    okay gonna fix it but still read the thread even though I calculate wrong. I said that market competition still exists

Ok, you are young? I have actually lived while almost no one had computers and internet connections at home. While that time was on, there was tv chat. You could send txt msg and it will show in tv, how awesome! Then chat opens and much msgs start run in screen, suddenly after just some minutes first msg pops up in tv screen what asks this question: "mods, how much queue time" Mod answer 30 minutes. Then time past. After 1h, again someone sent txt msg and wasted actually 1€ for asking again this question, "mods, queue length?" And mod answer, 1,5h. So.. what you think, will this yours queue system be better than tv chat in year 1999?
    Level: 125
    Main: QUEENCHLOEGT
    My first farm:CHLOESCASTLE
    Guild home: QUEENSGUILD
    Instagram: QueenChloeGT

Banned

I only agreed much abiut the <NO SBS WHEN A SERVER UPDATES>

This IS actually useful and is used in most big companies where there are multiple jobs running in the background (although there they're designed in a way so that if a job in the queue fails, it's re-added for execution).
    Anyway, yes, it's definitely a plus from me simply because this would reduce the spam we currently encounter in game.

As for disabling broadcasting before restarts, this definitely gets my full support. If you witness a restart, you'll no wonder realize that the last 10 seconds come filled with phishing websites (and MrSongo uploading a new video!).
    Played Growtopia for more than 4 years