Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Question] Should we be afraid to be ourselves?

Question [Discussion] Should we be afraid to be ourselves?

*Please note some things before reading this thread!*
    • This is for when you're alone with friends, not in a public world.
    • I don't overuse the word, although I do it say it occasionally in my sentences.
    • I can't and won't change how I talk when I'm alone with friends to benefit someone else.

So, on one of ZStep's posts titled, "Growtopia isn't for kids", I comment something about me being afraid to be who I am. Here's what I commented on that particular post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anime_ View Post
    I agree with just about everything in this post. I’m scared to be myself in-game because Mods (mainly Odric and sometimes other mods) are sometimes popping up to chat with me. The reason why I’m scared is because when talking to friends my way of speaking is a bit “ghetto”. As a black man playing growtopia who grew up in the “hood” until he was 10-11, I casually say the “n-word” a lot because it’s apart of my mannerisms and the way I talk when I’m most comfortable, which is around friends. I can also speak properly, as I was taught that after moving to a more “stable environment.” Talking proper is something I do to people I don’t know or adults (I'm 17 btw) to show respect. I don’t want to always worry about, “am I going to get banned for being myself?” I have no idea of the standards for this. I even applied to be game guardian, but just because I applied that doesn’t mean when I’m alone with friends I will change the way I speak. It will seem to me like racial profiling for banning because of the way I talk. It’s hard to not be yourself.
    After reading all this many of you probably going to comment, "Just don't say the 'n-word' or 'just change the way you talk'." Literally, this isn't as easy as many of you may think. There are little to none influential "black" growtopians. The only main one's I know about are, BLACKACE705, Daydrian, and Aroxim. After growing up in such an "unstable environment" for so long, you can't just change the way you talk or how you act when you're with your friends. I don't want to cause any drama for anyone, and I'm sure it's not just us African-American players that are worried about the same topic because some people don't have a filter when they are talking to friends. So the question I want to know is, will I be banned for saying the "n-word" even though I'm black, it's apart of my speech, and I'm not using it in an offensive way?

Let me know you guy's thought's on this and please be respectful.
    Last edited by Anime_; 08-30-2019 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Made more clear
    GrowID - Anime
    LEVEL - 95
    Main World - KURO
    Trusted Middleman in 'BUYUSERNAME'
    -----------------------------------------------
    Goals
    • Level 125 - 95/125
    • 200 Diamond Locks - 400+/200 [Completed]
    • Legendary Item - 0/1

Be Yourself! But.. yea.. dont say the n-word too much.. you can still say it but well.. not everytime..
    tu me manques.

IGN : Schecters

Quote Originally Posted by Scawt View Post
    Be Yourself! But.. yea.. dont say the n-word too much.. you can still say it but well.. not everytime..
    I understand that, and although it is apart of my speech, I never overuse it. Sometimes it just slips out every now and then.
    GrowID - Anime
    LEVEL - 95
    Main World - KURO
    Goals
    • Level 125 - 95/125
    • Legendary Item - 0/1

I understand that, and although it is apart of my speech, I never overuse it. Sometimes it just slips out every now and then.
    You don’t just “accidentally” type the n-word 🤦🏿*♀️.

Yeah, you better watch out.
    Join Forumers United, Join now!

All for one and one for all, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

So, on one of ZStep's posts titled, "Growtopia isn't for kids", I comment something about me being afraid to be who I am. Here's what I commented on that particular post.

After reading all this many of you probably going to comment, "Just don't say the 'n-word' or 'just change the way you talk'." Literally, this isn't as easy as many of you may think. There are little to none influential "black" growtopians. The only main one's I know about are, BLACKACE705, Daydrian, and Aroxim. After growing up in such an "unstable environment" for so long, you can't just change the way you talk or how you act when you're with your friends. I don't want to cause any drama for anyone, and I'm sure it's not just us African-American players that are worried about the same topic because some people don't have a filter when they are talking to friends. So the question I want to know is, will I be banned for saying the "n-word" even though I'm black, it's apart of my speech, and I'm not using it in an offensive way?

Let me know you guy's thought's on this and please be respectful.
    There's a difference on talking like that with your friends where others don't see it and publicly talking about it (Especially if you're a influencer)

I don't think anyone would do anything over the fact if you talk with your friends somewhere others don't see, but if you use racial slurs in a public world with many other people then it's a problem. In real life as well you don't go up to a random person and start cursing at him/her or use profanity, as it's general nature on being respectful towards one another, you should also be respectful towards other users here in Growtopia.
    IGN: Chowney

a pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
    an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty

~ Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Chowney View Post
    There's a difference on talking like that with your friends where others don't see it and publicly talking about it (Especially if you're a influencer).
    But yet I was banned for privately talking inappropriately with my friends in a jammed world. So it looks like it doesnt matter where you talk, whether its in a broadcast or in a private jammed world

Banned

whats wrong with saying nibba?; just don't turn the b's into g's

Quote Originally Posted by RaySia View Post
    You don’t just “accidentally” type the n-word 🤦🏿*♀️.
    When did I say I "accidentally" type it? I type it, but it's just the way I talk. I type what I'm thinking, I'm not going to try to act a certain way that people tell me too.

Quote Originally Posted by TobyLerasco View Post
    Yeah, you better watch out.
    I don't know. I feel like as long as I don't use it to be offensive or belittle someone, it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chowney View Post
    There's a difference on talking like that with your friends where others don't see it and publicly talking about it (Especially if you're a influencer)

I don't think anyone would do anything over the fact if you talk with your friends somewhere others don't see, but if you use racial slurs in a public world with many other people then it's a problem. In real life as well you don't go up to a random person and start cursing at him/her or use profanity, as it's general nature on being respectful towards one another, you should also be respectful towards other users here in Growtopia.
    I wouldn't really say it as an offensive term. I do use it from time to time, but never to make someone feel like they are less of a person. Basically instead of saying, "dude" or "bro", I say the "n-word".

Quote Originally Posted by ZStepXD View Post
    But yet I was banned for privately talking inappropriately with my friends in a jammed world. So it looks like it doesnt matter where you talk, whether its in a broadcast or in a private jammed world
    Yeah, your matter was weird since we don't really know what you guys were talking about. I don't think me saying the "n-word" is as bad as what you three were probably talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Devours View Post
    whats wrong with saying nibba?; just don't turn the b's into g's
    Well, there's nothing wrong with saying it as long as you don't use it with an "er" or use it to hurt someone.
    GrowID - Anime
    LEVEL - 95
    Main World - KURO
    Goals
    • Level 125 - 95/125
    • Legendary Item - 0/1

Banned

I'm not going to try to act a certain way that people tell me too.
    you should say this to a certain forumer

god i feel like throwing shade @ him rn...

Looks like being yourself in any way gets you the ban hammer, might as well give up trying if it's an issue.
    Give a man a wl, and he will learn to rely on you.
    Teach a man to make wls and you'll set him up for success.
    IGN:Tellicant Main:U9

When did I say I "accidentally" type it? I type it, but it's just the way I talk. I type what I'm thinking, I'm not going to try to act a certain way that people tell me too.
    That’s exactly what you meant. You’re implying that you may accidentally type out the word out. I don’t think you should worry about this behaviour in-game...

My guy, it's really not that hard to speak more formally. It's not like a Chinese person growing up in a Chinese household is suddenly gonna start speaking Chinese with his friends.
    [Tryhards] - Guild Level 6

https://media.giphy.com/media/3htHnt...0Al7/giphy.gif

IGN: IHasName

lol you are the literal embodiment of anime
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

no context
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohlid View Post
    dywinnie u can start pweeb with me owo we can bwender s togwetter :3 pwetty pwease

oh yeah btw my discord is @Dynnie#3475

Quote Originally Posted by IHasName View Post
    My guy, it's really not that hard to speak more formally. It's not like a Chinese person growing up in a Chinese household is suddenly gonna start speaking Chinese with his friends.
    Who wants to play a game where you have to alter your personality just so you don't lose all your progress that has taken you months or years to get...

Quote Originally Posted by ZStepXD View Post
    Who wants to play a game where you have to alter your personality just so you don't lose all your progress that has taken you months or years to get...
    There are rules that should be respected. You don’t have to necessarily alter your personality just to follow them.

In my opinion, there is no reason to be afraid being ourselves. Though, we also have to acknowledge the rules. You can be whatever you want, Growtopia is indeed a role playing game. But, always be thoughtful on the things you do. A little care wouldn’t hurt.

It is good not to do anything that causes your brother to stumble.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeosi View Post
    There are rules that should be respected. You don’t have to necessarily alter your personality just to follow them.

In my opinion, there is no reason to be afraid being ourselves. Though, we also have to acknowledge the rules. You can be whatever you want, Growtopia is indeed a role playing game. But, always be thoughtful on the things you do. A little care wouldn’t hurt.

It is good not to do anything that causes your brother to stumble.
    Some people have a certain way of talking and/or get comfortable around their friends and may start talking inappropriately, because it's the big funny.

Due to mods seemingly being more strict with rules like that, players are unable to even talk privately with their friends in worlds without having to worry about a mod (or two) spying on them.

I think the rules should be respected, but they should consider a rule being broken as when someone or something gets harmed in the process of breaking the rule.

Like in my case, nobody was harmed in the situation (by harmed I mean felt disrespected or harassed), so why punish me for it?
    Thinking about you.

Tbh this is exactly the same as if someone has other swear words in their usual vocabulary. It doesn't change the fact that Growtopia has a lot of children who play it and that these words influence them badly. It's why Growtopia has a language filter. I totally understand why you're uncomfortable, but the mods have a reason for what they do. I don't think that this stops people from behaving like themselves, it's just toning down on the profanity in order to reduce the impact it has on the children.
    IGN: Dwantano
    Discord: onigirii #8699

I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask people to self regulate their speech when it comes to a job. Whether the reason is valid or not you're going to have to sacrifice some personal ambitions if you want to serve something important, like being a game guardian.
    "Flowers grow back, even after they are stepped on."

You just wrote a pretty non ghetto style thread. ( Basically meaning you just did what you said you couldn't do )
    To thine own self be true,
    and it must follow,
    as the night the day,
    thou canst not then be false to any man.

I have read through Ubisoft's ToS and EULA, feel free to ask any questions!