Thread: My Journey Through Monogatari

Default My Journey Through Monogatari

So I started watching the Monogatari series a couple of days ago, and I fell in love with the awesome animation style and the great story. Anyways, since I found out that there are like freaking 20 shows in the series
    Name:  MonogatariList.PNG
Views: 37
Size:  34.2 KB
    (yes that many), I decided that I would go through and leave a review/my opinion on each of them as I go through watching them, with all spoilers (if I even decide to put them) in spoiler tags.

Anyways, here's the first one, the start of the series:

Bakemonogatari - 2009

Nisemonogatari - 2012

go ahead and share your opinions of the shows below, as they are a bit old but are still being made, and I know they are pretty popular.

EDIT: I have done a little bit of looking around and this is the order I will be watching in (infographic for easier viewing) https://imgur.com/XD9rxlu

That being said, I watched nise before the movies so I will be going back and watching the three movies next, should be fun.
    Last edited by Noodle905; 09-12-2019 at 05:41 AM.
    IGN: Noodle (previously Noodle905)

Just your average dude who enjoys playing the game and solving riddles

https://www.upload.ee/image/9292002/heallvishere.png

Quote Originally Posted by NekoRei View Post
    Damn I clicked on it... I was Luis Fonzied

20 series??!! All canon or spin-offs too? If the plot is good enough, I might watch too.

IGN:StarByte
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsock (IGN) View Post
    There's this thing called life.

I mean, I know why I liked the show. The entire concept is heavily based around that of my favorite anime, xxxHOLIC. The benchmark comparison seems to fair in that regard.

I noticed the Monogatari series derives much of its humor from self-awareness. Plenty tropes are hyperbolized and the characters are cognizant of the formulaic archetypes. It honestly works, unlike some other obnoxious attempts at “breaking the fourth wall” that just kill momentum of a plot or invalidate the reality of the show.

But that is about the only thing I find better. It is not that Monogatari is anywhere close to being mediocre, but when expectations are set for a similar concept, it is hard to turn them off and enjoy the show for what it is.

That being said, I was enthralled by the series, and you probably will be too. It only gets better from the first season.
    Been playing Growtopia since 2010.

I am a proud Hakmarian — the pope in fact!

Contact Info:

Quote Originally Posted by effanx11 View Post
    20 series??!! All canon or spin-offs too? If the plot is good enough, I might watch too.
    I think they are all canon but I honestly have no clue as I’m going in blind.

Based off the first season it’s a really good show, both humorous and serious at times

Well, I always wanted to watch the series but I just don't know where to start, some people start with one released first, some others start in a specific order (not by release date).
    It's confusing, help.
    ~Chemmie
    Discord: Chem #7714

Quote Originally Posted by Chem View Post
    Well, I always wanted to watch the series but I just don't know where to start, some people start with one released first, some others start in a specific order (not by release date).
    It's confusing, help.
    Start with Bakemonogatari. There is one? series sequentially before that, but that is more a prologue to the other plot points, Kizumonogatari. But there are many other random sub-plots and short series that seem to be chronologically all over the place, not released in the chronological order. However, there is a sort of backbone to major arcs that should be watched in a certain order…maybe someone else would be better helping you. lol
    Been playing Growtopia since 2010.

I am a proud Hakmarian — the pope in fact!

Contact Info:

BUMP! I just finished Nisemonogatari (second one in the series), here is my analysis and opinions on the show

This is the one with the famous toothbrushing scene a lot of you might have seen before

Nisemonogatari - 2012

go ahead and share your thoughts on this season and whether you agree or disagree with my points below.