Thread: [RANT] Growtopia broke cooking; it is now unplayable.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default [RANT] Growtopia broke cooking; it is now unplayable.

With the new recent small update that the Growtopia team did not tell ANYONE about, I believe that it resulted in a new feature with cooking: automatically starting a timer and ending it when you punch the completed meal. This change is HORRIBLE. Absolutely NO ONE asked for it. As a result, it is not nearly impossible to cook more than 1 item at a time. There should be an option whether or not to have the timer start or not.

tldr: cooking automatically starts a timer, overrides the start flag, making cooking more than 1 item at a time difficult.

more reasons why this change is bad:

Some food items, such as apple strudel, start off with flour and honey which can be cooked infinitely, so having the timer starts right when you put them in doesn't make sense.

Encourages the use of third party applications. Ubisoft has been working hard to get rid of 3rd party applications and their role in Growtopia, but with this change, many people will begin to use stopwatch programs.

REVERT THE CHANGE! (just do ctrl+z on all the code u put into making this change)

Edit: That was a portion of the change we wanted but not what we asked for. Here's some stuff that need to be changed.
    1. If the start timer box is not checked, when punching the oven, it should not remove the timer.
    2. If the start timer box IS checked, don't start the timer when cooking items that can be cooked indefinitely (flour, water, honey, and much more). However, some situations, this can be very confusing because sometimes you are making the one that needs salsa, which means that you will need to put tomato first, even though salsa is an ingredient that can be cooked forever.

SUMMARY: Make it so that when you punch a completed meal, the timer does not automatically stop.
    Last edited by SmartWaffle; 11-13-2019 at 01:19 AM. Reason: reworded some stuff
    V I J U T I M E

Sell Arroz con Pollo 4/wl at SELLARROZ

Master Sorcerer

Just restating here, cooking in large batches is still very much possible. Use the end flag when the timer starts automatically(after you have finished placing all the flours) and you can proceed to cook as you used to. It can get annoying especially for cooking challenges, so an option to disable this function would be nice.

I don't think it's a horrible feature, it's good for beginner cooks. Timing is crucial for cooking and this can help to improve accuracy.

This is a bad update, and now that I have re-read this thread, I can see that. The timer should not start right when items such as flour get added in - that's ridiculous and makes this update completely useless. Now cooks have an extra step they need to take now to cook normally as well (stepping on end flag). Revert this update, please.

Now they've shown that adding a timer is simple - but they still haven't added in my suggestion to add them to timed worlds, which seems a lot more necessary, really.
    IGN: Cloverlord
    Current level: 107
    Discord: Cloverleaf#0258
    Instagram: @cloverlordgt
    My shop world: LIQUIDMARKET.

I believe that the timer makes Cooking Daily challenges balanced. One can simply get a real life stopwatch to counter it.

IGN: iCreator
    Level: 101
    YouTube Channel: iCreatorGT
    Discord: iCreator#8781
    Veteran Player since Growtopia Beta 2013
    I SEE YOU

Quote Originally Posted by Creator View Post
    I believe that the timer makes Cooking Daily challenges balanced. One can simply get a real life stopwatch to counter it.
    It just makes life difficult... Also how does it make it more balanced?
    V I J U T I M E

Have to agree that this is just horrible. It makes cooking much more annoying for anyone who cooks more than 1 food at once. I understand that this was added to make it easier for people who’ve just started cooking, but a race start flag was just FINE, I’ve been using it since the cooking update came out and never had any problems with it.
    whocares

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWaffle View Post
    It just makes life difficult... Also how does it make it more balanced?
    People can cook their meals faster and quicker with more than one home oven, resulting in getting more pts for them in order to get top 3 in the leaderboard. That method was unfair to people who have only one home oven to cook. With this update, it makes the daily challenge fair, making everyone to cook in just one home oven.

Really proud of them balancing some of the daily challenges. (Eg. Harmonic Crystal)

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWaffle View Post
    With the new recent small update that the Growtopia team did not tell ANYONE about, I believe that it resulted in a new feature with cooking: automatically starting a timer and ending it when you punch the completed meal. This change is HORRIBLE. Absolutely NO ONE asked for it. As a result, it is not nearly impossible to cook more than 1 item at a time. There should be an option whether or not to have the timer start or not.

tldr: cooking automatically starts a timer, overrides the start flag, making cooking more than 1 item at a time difficult.

more reasons why this change is bad:

Some food items, such as apple strudel, starts off with flour and honey which can be cooked infinitely, so having the timer start right when you put them in doesn't make sense.

Encourages the use of third party applications. Ubisoft has been working hard to get rid of 3rd party applications and their role in Growtopia, but with this change, many people will begin to use stopwatch programs.

REVERT THE CHANGE! (just do ctrl+z on all the code u put into making this change)
    For apple strudel or other items, you can start by putting in items which does not cook forever them put in honey and flour when you have time. The % is the same and i tested it
    IGN: JINYOUNG0922

+1 i fully support this argument and the timer shouldn't automatically end when you punch the oven.

IGN:RILEC
    Level:91

Discord: RILEC#6188

bumping

I will not stop bumping until it gets fixed.
    V I J U T I M E

Actually, we made the timer optional. You can now choose to display the timer if you want or not.

Quote Originally Posted by NekoRei View Post
    Actually, we made the timer optional. You can now choose to display the timer if you want or not.
    To add to that, we will work on updating it with multiple timers and rectifying the behavior with timer stopping on punch, in the next client update. Thanks for the patience.

i think Cooking was fine with Race Start Flag.
    Legendary | 2013 | Epic Quest | Better Suggestion

My Last Suggestion; Achievement Rewards Update!

Quote Originally Posted by UBIDEV View Post
    To add to that, we will work on updating it with multiple timers and rectifying the behavior with timer stopping on punch, in the next client update. Thanks for the patience.
    Thank you for your response! I will be looking forward for the next client update.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GrowPixel View Post
    i think Cooking was fine with Race Start Flag.
    Amen brother.
    V I J U T I M E

Quote Originally Posted by UBIDEV View Post
    Great changes!
    I'd also recommend remembering whether the timer checkbox was checked.

Quote Originally Posted by NekoRei View Post
    Yes, I realize this. However, it still automatically ends the timer when you punch the oven, regardless of opting in/out of the option.
    V I J U T I M E