Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RANT] Growtopia broke cooking; it is now unplayable.

Banned

Default [RANT] Growtopia broke cooking; it is now unplayable.

With the new recent small update that the Growtopia team did not tell ANYONE about, I believe that it resulted in a new feature with cooking: automatically starting a timer and ending it when you punch the completed meal. This change is HORRIBLE. Absolutely NO ONE asked for it. As a result, it is not nearly impossible to cook more than 1 item at a time. There should be an option whether or not to have the timer start or not.

tldr: cooking automatically starts a timer, overrides the start flag, making cooking more than 1 item at a time difficult.

more reasons why this change is bad:

Some food items, such as apple strudel, start off with flour and honey which can be cooked infinitely, so having the timer starts right when you put them in doesn't make sense.

Encourages the use of third party applications. Ubisoft has been working hard to get rid of 3rd party applications and their role in Growtopia, but with this change, many people will begin to use stopwatch programs.

REVERT THE CHANGE! (just do ctrl+z on all the code u put into making this change)

Edit: That was a portion of the change we wanted but not what we asked for. Here's some stuff that need to be changed.
    1. If the start timer box is not checked, when punching the oven, it should not remove the timer.
    2. If the start timer box IS checked, don't start the timer when cooking items that can be cooked indefinitely (flour, water, honey, and much more). However, some situations, this can be very confusing because sometimes you are making the one that needs salsa, which means that you will need to put tomato first, even though salsa is an ingredient that can be cooked forever.

SUMMARY: Make it so that when you punch a completed meal, the timer does not automatically stop.
    Last edited by SmartWaffle; 11-13-2019 at 01:19 AM. Reason: reworded some stuff

Master Sorcerer

Just restating here, cooking in large batches is still very much possible. Use the end flag when the timer starts automatically(after you have finished placing all the flours) and you can proceed to cook as you used to. It can get annoying especially for cooking challenges, so an option to disable this function would be nice.

I don't think it's a horrible feature, it's good for beginner cooks. Timing is crucial for cooking and this can help to improve accuracy.

This is a bad update, and now that I have re-read this thread, I can see that. The timer should not start right when items such as flour get added in - that's ridiculous and makes this update completely useless. Now cooks have an extra step they need to take now to cook normally as well (stepping on end flag). Revert this update, please.

Now they've shown that adding a timer is simple - but they still haven't added in my suggestion to add them to timed worlds, which seems a lot more necessary, really.
    IGN: Cloverlord
    Current level: 107
    Discord: Cloverleaf#0258
    Instagram: @cloverlordgt
    My shop world: LIQUIDMARKET.

I believe that the timer makes Cooking Daily challenges balanced. One can simply get a real life stopwatch to counter it.

IGN: iCreator
    Level: 101
    YouTube Channel: iCreatorGT
    Discord: iCreator#8781
    Veteran Player since Growtopia Beta 2013
    I SEE YOU

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Creator View Post
    I believe that the timer makes Cooking Daily challenges balanced. One can simply get a real life stopwatch to counter it.
    It just makes life difficult... Also how does it make it more balanced?

Have to agree that this is just horrible. It makes cooking much more annoying for anyone who cooks more than 1 food at once. I understand that this was added to make it easier for people who’ve just started cooking, but a race start flag was just FINE, I’ve been using it since the cooking update came out and never had any problems with it.
    whocares

Very, very annoyed at this...
    Its good for people that are new to cooking but some of us are able to cook 25+ poop pies at once after countless hours of practice.

I also spent an entire weekend teaching our guild members how to cook mutant foods for daily challenges and that has all gone to waste now...

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWaffle View Post
    With the new recent small update that the Growtopia team did not tell ANYONE about, I believe that it resulted in a new feature with cooking: automatically starting a timer and ending it when you punch the completed meal. This change is HORRIBLE. Absolutely NO ONE asked for it. As a result, it is not nearly impossible to cook more than 1 item at a time. There should be an option whether or not to have the timer start or not.

tldr: cooking automatically starts a timer, overrides the start flag, making cooking more than 1 item at a time difficult.

more reasons why this change is bad:

Some food items, such as apple strudel, starts off with flour and honey which can be cooked infinitely, so having the timer start right when you put them in doesn't make sense.

Encourages the use of third party applications. Ubisoft has been working hard to get rid of 3rd party applications and their role in Growtopia, but with this change, many people will begin to use stopwatch programs.

REVERT THE CHANGE! (just do ctrl+z on all the code u put into making this change)
    For apple strudel or other items, you can start by putting in items which does not cook forever them put in honey and flour when you have time. The % is the same and i tested it
    IGN: JINYOUNG0922

It just makes life difficult... Also how does it make it more balanced?
    People can cook their meals faster and quicker with more than one home oven, resulting in getting more pts for them in order to get top 3 in the leaderboard. That method was unfair to people who have only one home oven to cook. With this update, it makes the daily challenge fair, making everyone to cook in just one home oven.

Really proud of them balancing some of the daily challenges. (Eg. Harmonic Crystal)
    VISIT ZOMBIESCHOOL IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN ROLEPLAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Farmers2168 View Post
    People can cook their meals faster and quicker with more than one home oven, resulting in getting more pts for them in order to get top 3 in the leaderboard. That method was unfair to people who have only one home oven to cook. With this update, it makes the daily challenge fair, making everyone to cook in just one home oven.

Really proud of them balancing some of the daily challenges. (Eg. Harmonic Crystal)
    Is that not the whole point of the daily challenge? Skill not rng.

In the crystal challenge you could be heavily boosted, not in cooking...

Quote Originally Posted by Farmers2168 View Post

People can, and will still use more than one oven for daily challenges. It isn't impossible - the change just makes it hard.
    IGN: Cloverlord
    Current level: 107
    Discord: Cloverleaf#0258
    Instagram: @cloverlordgt
    My shop world: LIQUIDMARKET.

I usually hold a stopwatch and cook so it isn't much of an issue for me. The timer given when you use oven is annoying though, and can't be turned off. Also, why does the timer start when we put something like flour, which can be cooked indefinitely? Imo the change helps people new to cooking, but there should be a way to turn it off, and for sure it shouldn't start when you put something like flour.
    "You don't have to brush all your teeth, only the ones you want to keep."

I made a suggestion to revive most dead activities and to stabilize most unbalanced matters in the game, be sure to check it out here!

Master Sorcerer

It's fixed;
    Name:  display timer.PNG
Views: 266
Size:  129.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Normelad View Post
    It's fixed;
    Great, so that's what the restart was for.
    We still need another change, the timer shouldn't start when we put flour or water in the oven.
    "You don't have to brush all your teeth, only the ones you want to keep."

I made a suggestion to revive most dead activities and to stabilize most unbalanced matters in the game, be sure to check it out here!

Banned

Oh my god! Wow, thanks Ubisoft for changing this so quickly. Lemme give you a hug.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my god! Wow, thanks Ubisoft for changing this so quickly. Lemme give you a hug.
    NEVER MIND! STILL UNPLAYABLE.

If you punch a completed meal, it still automatically removes the timer.

MY SUGGESTION: Only automatically remove the timer if that oven you selected has the start automatically.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ooopsi View Post
    I usually hold a stopwatch and cook so it isn't much of an issue for me. The timer given when you use oven is annoying though, and can't be turned off. Also, why does the timer start when we put something like flour, which can be cooked indefinitely? Imo the change helps people new to cooking, but there should be a way to turn it off, and for sure it shouldn't start when you put something like flour.
    There was already a system in place where you did not need to hold a stopwatch. I'd rather play Growtopia without needing to bring a stopwatch with me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JINYOUNG0922 View Post
    For apple strudel or other items, you can start by putting in items which does not cook forever them put in honey and flour when you have time. The % is the same and i tested it
    Yes but it gets confusing because most people have developed a habit of putting infinite ingredients first and then the ones that are cooking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Normelad View Post
    It's fixed;
    well yes but actually no.

It is a step in the right direction but I believe that the timer should only stop if you clicked the display timer button. This is just lazy coding.

Actuay, I suggested this.....

I haven't done cooking personally because I never really had a timer/other device I could use consistently. I also want the level 1 role chef shirt, so I see this as a win.

I do agree the timer shouldn't start when adding flour or water, though.

Also, seeing how it can be muted/not activated, it doesn't seem to be anything to really frustrate on now.(I'm assuming the feature was added after this rant, though).
    They are two types of people in the world. Me and not me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Malware View Post
    Actuay, I suggested this.....

I haven't done cooking personally because I never really had a timer/other device I could use consistently. I also want the level 1 role chef shirt, so I see this as a win.

I do agree the timer shouldn't start when adding flour or water, though.

Also, seeing how it can be muted/not activated, it doesn't seem to be anything to really frustrate on now.(I'm assuming the feature was added after this rant, though).
    grr...

Well, you do have a fair point. I think the option to have a timer is good but the timer shouldn’t automatically end when you punch the oven. They changed it but it is still broken.

+1 i fully support this argument and the timer shouldn't automatically end when you punch the oven.

IGN:RILEC
    Level:91

Discord: RILEC#6188

Banned

bumping

I will not stop bumping until it gets fixed.

Actually, we made the timer optional. You can now choose to display the timer if you want or not.