Thread: Buddy Block Head bugged?

Lesser Knight

Default Buddy Block Head bugged?

I did the thousand dirt block test, and came to a fascinating conclusion.

The Buddy Block Head does nothing but visual effects.

1st Test

I broke 10*100 = 1,000 Dirt wearing no equipment. On average I got a ~10% block drop chance.

102 Blocks returned, total.

Then I equipped the Buddy Block Head and repeated the procedure.

2nd Test

I broke 10*100 = 1,000 Dirt, wearing Buddy Block Head, and, on average, I got a ~10% block drop chance.

Yes, you read right, the percentage stayed the same. 99 Blocks returned, total.

Interesting Findings

I also counted how many times the visual effect was triggered, which was 25 times.

This would suggest that the block gain of the Buddy Block Head would lie around 2.5%.

The Bug

However, the Buddy Block Head drops are not on top, but included in the 10% block drop chance, since the base drop rate was reduced to 7.5% while wearing it, which renders the Buddy Block Head useless at this time.

Is this a programming bug?
    Last edited by mountarreat; 11-19-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Master Sorcerer

Default henlo

if you want to find real statistics, you would need to do this WAY MORE than 2 times

you can get lucky once, theres even a chance that you could get ALL 1000 blocks back (while that chance is under like 0.0000000000000000000001)

you would need to do more than one test with and one test without to get accurate information.

Lesser Knight

I could ask help to verify that, but people who are too lazy to test anything will just blame it to RNG, I suppose.

Anyone willing to help verify by breaking 10k blocks?

You can't draw conclusions based on that little a sample.
    IGN : HHH

Farms : 40
    Magplants : 15

Goals:
    Legendary Title : Not achieved
    Level 125 : Not achieved
    Doctor Title : Not achieved
    Bedrock Glitched World : MALPRACTICE (Fire Wand in Bedrock)

Lesser Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Oakum View Post
    You can't draw conclusions based on that little a sample.
    Not just drawing conclusions based on that... People already confirmed lower seed returns in previous threads since October Update.

If they didn't nerf specific seeds, they must have nerfed / bugged some equipment. Less blocks returned, less seeds.

You are free to help determine the cause.

Lesser Knight

Ok, I did a second run... this time I started with the Buddy Block Head, then did a second run without equipment.

1st Test

I broke 10*100 = 1,000 Dirt, wearing Buddy Block Head, and, on average, I got a 9.2% block drop chance.

92 Blocks returned, total.

Then I unequipped the Buddy Block Head and repeated the procedure.

2nd Test

I broke 10*100 = 1,000 Dirt wearing no equipment. On average I got a 9.8% block drop chance.

98 Blocks returned, total.

This time around it looks even worse for Buddy, as it tends to have a negating effect even.

So, after 2k blocks broken each, with no equip, as well as wearing Buddy Block Head, we have these stats:

Results

Buddy Block Head triggered on average 22.5 times per 1,000 blocks, which equals to 2.25%

However, the Buddy Block Head overall return rate from 2k blocks are only 95.5 per 1,000. A 9.55% block drop chance.

No equipment returned on average 100 per 1,000. A 10% block drop chance.

If you want more samples, go ahead and contribute. For me it's enough, tendency is clear, I don't need to get it down to the exact percentile.

Buddy's extra blocks mod is either bugged, or it's a backstabber, not a buddy.

A supposedly 2%+ increase (trigger of Buddy Block Head) should clearly lift up the results, not lower them.

Personal opinion / conclusion

The only thing I can imagine happening here is that the visuals are triggering, but not the extra bonus block.

Which means the results are missing 20-25 per 1,000 blocks that were supposed to be dropping with Buddy Head, but just don't.
    Last edited by mountarreat; 11-20-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Master Sorcerer

how about someone else test it and we see how it goes.

I don't have one so I cant

you could've had bad luck and got less blocks etc.

(bUT I TrIEd MorE thAN ONcE)
    you can have bad luck more than once in a row

also it literally is rng.

Lesser Knight

Quote Originally Posted by MystZ View Post
    how about someone else test it and we see how it goes.

I don't have one so I cant

you could've had bad luck and got less blocks etc.

(bUT I TrIEd MorE thAN ONcE)
    you can have bad luck more than once in a row

also it literally is rng.

It doesn't make sense though, also, the RNG isn't so random at all.

If you would add the triggered times of buddy to the total, you'd have on average 118 Blocks per 1,000 with Buddy, which would actually make sense.

That would be an 11.8% drop chance, which comes pretty darn close to a +2% increase I was suggesting as percentage of the Buddy Block Head.

1.8% effectively, despite the 2.25% trigger average, so it is safe to assume that BBH ought to have the same percentage as the DCS, which is 2%, as revealed in the description info for the staff.

This fact alone just leaves me to think that only the visual effect triggers, but not the extra block.

Anyone who owns Buddy is free to repeat the test.

Lesser Knight

I repeated the test 2 more times after the update, but no changes here.

I now smashed 4,000 blocks each test, 8,000 blocks total.

No equipment drop rate stays around 10%.

While wearing Buddy Head alone is still lower than 10% on average (9.85% - where's the chance of getting extra blocks?)

It's done on different days, different times, alternating between wearing Buddy Block Head and not.

However, the good news is that I also did tests with Tesseract of Dimensions - Level 5 alone, and in combo with Buddy Head.

The drop chance rose to 18.9% in a single test of 1,000 blocks with maxed Tesseract (+8.9%). A total of 189 extra blocks from 1,000 blocks broken.

And with Buddy + Tesseract of Dimensions - Level 5, it further rose to 20.7% (+1.8%). A total of 207 extra blocks from 1,000 blocks broken.

Conclusion

Buddy is only bugged when worn by itself. When worn in combination with Ancestral Tesseract of Dimensions, it seems to work as intended.