Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

Thread: Moderator Applications are misleading and should be removed or reserved.

  1. #1
    Master Sorcerer Pokekid123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,471

    Default Moderator Applications are misleading and should be removed or reserved.

    **Includes Guardian Application (if in future, Ubisoft's planning on one.)

    What is a Moderator Application?
    It is basically consist of multiple different questions that you must answer regarding different topics. Created in Seth's and Hamumu's era, they used to check the Moderator Application, see it as a way to hire new mods. It is usually opens every once in a blue moon and is found in the Gazette.
    - I'm not sure how regularly they check them, and what they are based on, but it is fine.

    Why I feel that Mod Appls are misleading?
    I feel that it's misleading to the developers, staffs and the community in actual fact. It is very misleading to the developers as, let's be frank, usually Mod Applications are very inaccurate, children could get help from a senior to further exaggerate their speech. Sure, Mod Applications might sound very formal and fantastic, but is it really catered to the long term development of the game? My answer to you is nope. It is a time waste for developers - since they claim to look through each and every single one of the Applications, and mind me, it's over 10 thousand of them. How much time would you have wasted instead of trying to legitimately make the game better - more community events, more dialogues with growtopians as a community on the game, reading and absorbing feedbacks, coming together as a growtopia staff and talk about what could further improve the game as a whole.

    Secondly As you know, the demographic trend of Growtopia is basically towards children, minors. After completing the Moderator Application, their first instinct is going to be like "yey. I've done mod app, HAHA I be mod tmr... u noob". Let's be real, Moderator Application will give them 'False Hope' of being a mod and it just sucks.

    Moderator Applications are really toxic - this is probably why it brought so many people in the game in my opinion, they just want power and fame. I'm sick and tired of people asking legit Mods how to be a mod, this just shows how much of a impact, a bad one, the Applications imposed. I'm sick and tired of Mods trying to come up with crazy and bizarre stories just to satisfy that person. It's just unreasonable and sad to say the least. Is this the Growtopia we all want?

    Problems it gave
    - Fake Mods Applications
    Random people trying to create fake mod apps just to hack others. Pathetic.
    - A more toxic community
    - A negative desire to gain power and fame

    Except!
    I believe the Moderator Applications should just be reserved for persons that Ubisoft finds potential in being a real Moderator. It should signify as a confirmation and it helps amplify the potential that the person has.
    - Ubisoft should PM them the Application with questions on the forums. List all instructions clearly. Not using a website.

    What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Pokekid123; 12-04-2019 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Added some points.
    "If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room." - Confucius

  2. #2
    Master Sorcerer Elyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    The Spaceship
    Posts
    4,775

    Default

    I think they should choose specific people, mostly from the forums and let them do the apps before getting trained
    Quit this game already
    I am LightX, call me Light not Elyrion
    Discord: Light#6018
    Pet Rock Server : https://discord.gg/ZSJc2hS

    We require Peace and Tranquility
    Come Join Secret Santa for another year of giving!

  3. #3
    Master Sorcerer Pokekid123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elyrion View Post
    I think they should choose specific people, mostly from the forums and let them do the apps before getting trained
    That's why I said that Mod Appls are reserved for specific people - typically the ones Ubi finds potential in being a good mod.
    "If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room." - Confucius

  4. #4
    Master Sorcerer Elyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    The Spaceship
    Posts
    4,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokekid123 View Post
    That's why I said that Mod Appls are reserved for specific people - typically the ones Ubi finds potential in being a good mod.
    I think I repeated your words then... oops
    Quit this game already
    I am LightX, call me Light not Elyrion
    Discord: Light#6018
    Pet Rock Server : https://discord.gg/ZSJc2hS

    We require Peace and Tranquility
    Come Join Secret Santa for another year of giving!

  5. #5
    Master Sorcerer Ilikecats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Jersey(USA)
    Posts
    4,481

    Default

    They should really pick the older accounts tbh. Since the older accounts have more experience with the game
    IGN:YandereDemon
    Quote Originally Posted by Phanton
    I like your profile picture it's so cuteeee
    Been wanting to say it for a long time, finally decided to tell you today

    ヽ༼ಠ_ಠ༽ノ
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDoesPBG View Post
    That Mexican pepper thingie

    10 chars

  6. #6
    Master Sorcerer Pokekid123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikecats View Post
    They should really pick the older accounts tbh. Since the older accounts have more experience with the game
    Not necessarily. Attitude and personality are key to a good mod.

    Don't get me wrong knowledge is also important...
    "If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room." - Confucius

  7. #7
    Master Sorcerer Ilikecats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Jersey(USA)
    Posts
    4,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokekid123 View Post
    Not necessarily. Attitude and personality are key to a good mod.

    Don't get me wrong knowledge is also important...
    Oh I know. I use to mod on a app. They removed me and others for doing our job properly while the ones they keeped are bribed by the owners of the app.
    IGN:YandereDemon
    Quote Originally Posted by Phanton
    I like your profile picture it's so cuteeee
    Been wanting to say it for a long time, finally decided to tell you today

    ヽ༼ಠ_ಠ༽ノ
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDoesPBG View Post
    That Mexican pepper thingie

    10 chars

  8. #8
    Master Sorcerer LyveWyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokekid123 View Post
    That's why I said that Mod Appls are reserved for specific people - typically the ones Ubi finds potential in being a good mod.
    What’s the purpose in this? If they believe somebody has the potential to be a mod they can simply check their logs, posts, watch them in-game...the stuff they have been doing for years now. Honestly I feel like giving specific people a mod application is counter-intuitive, and would cause them to gain a false sense of hope, and on top of that could possibly be abused.

  9. #9
    Master Sorcerer Pokekid123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LyveWyre View Post
    What’s the purpose in this? If they believe somebody has the potential to be a mod they can simply check their logs, posts, watch them in-game...the stuff they have been doing for years now. Honestly I feel like giving specific people a mod application is counter-intuitive, and would cause them to gain a false sense of hope, and on top of that could possibly be abused.
    It’ll be taken as a confirmation if he/she wants to be a moderator as well as finding out the person’s personality type if he/she would work well together with other moderators. Yes, it could be abused, but mind me, it’s for potential players - players that have been closely watched by staffs. It will be very clear then if he/she is abusing the mod apps, since everybody’s writing style is distinct and different.
    "If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room." - Confucius

  10. #10
    Master Sorcerer Oldsock (IGN)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Sock Drawer
    Posts
    6,014

    Default

    Good thing they'll be doing Guardian Applications instead of Mod Applications this time!
    Growtopia: Oldsock/Oldzock
    Instagram: @sockia
    Discord: Oldsock#0653

  11. #11
    Master Sorcerer Pokekid123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsock (IGN) View Post
    Good thing they'll be doing Guardian Applications instead of Mod Applications this time!
    It’s not officially announced or released yet. Lol. I hope not though.

    Furthermore, Guardians or Moderators, they are entitled to one entity - The Moderation Team. I’m really against basically applications that claims to gain you power and fame if you are suited for it. My points are listed above.
    "If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room." - Confucius

  12. #12
    Master Sorcerer QueenChloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Off
    Posts
    1,742

    Default

    And what i can't stop thinking is, is it actually right thing to do, to hire underage kids for free while their main job is school? And are they actually ready for work in age of 13? And when they get this position in young age and they start fail in school, who takes responsibility of that? How can big company use kids as a workers?
    Level: 125
    Main: QUEENCHLOEGT
    My first farm:CHLOESCASTLE
    Guild home: QUEENSGUILD
    Instagram: QueenChloeGT
    How we could fix famable economy: OPEN LINK HERE


  13. #13
    Master Sorcerer Pokekid123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QueenChloe View Post
    And what i can't stop thinking is, is it actually right thing to do, to hire underage kids for free while their main job is school? And are they actually ready for work in age of 13? And when they get this position in young age and they start fail in school, who takes responsibility of that? How can big company use kids as a workers?
    Get this right, this is totally voluntary nothing to do about underaged kids lol
    "If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room." - Confucius

  14. #14
    Master Sorcerer Viju's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    5,021

    Default

    I mean the thing is, moderator applications are the key to finding the right person. If they pick specific people, what's the use - and if they failed the test, that will give them false hope. Moderator applications can find people who are hidden in the shadows but still able to help other people. We don't want people who originally help people secretly go wild and try to show everyone that he's helping - that's just so immoral.
    Unofficial Growtopia Trailer 4 below!

    In-Game Name: Viju
    Content Moderator at Growtopia Wikia since November 23, 2018
    Discord Tag: Viju#7557
    Former Forum Name: Mijuki04
    IG: @onlinepricechecker

  15. #15
    Master Sorcerer Phemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    4,977

    Default

    Developers are not wasting their times on reading applications, definitely somebody's doing but, pretty sure that's not a developer. So there won't be delay on updates and doesn't have any connection between updates.

    Everybody gets hyped at some point, however it doesn't stay forever and you'll be either happy or sad after it gets resulted. Not a big deal.

    Fake mod applications was there ever since 2015 (?), it might lead spreading though, but I don't think it's being announced caused that.

    I don't see how it caused to "-A more toxic community".

    As it's been told that Guardian is the entry point to the moderation team, that means nobody'll get to mod status in all of sudden without seeing how they perform during their Guardianship status.

    Quote Originally Posted by QueenChloe View Post
    And what i can't stop thinking is, is it actually right thing to do, to hire underage kids for free while their main job is school? And are they actually ready for work in age of 13? And when they get this position in young age and they start fail in school, who takes responsibility of that? How can big company use kids as a workers?
    I don't think we have anybody under age of 15 in moderation team, at least. However if they pick the right people for the job, I don't see any cons of it as ShadowSURFER as an example picked while he was 13 and did good job while his moderatorship.
    Forumers Guild: BETA GUILD

  16. #16
    Master Sorcerer HugeLock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    3,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phemus View Post
    Developers are not wasting their times on reading applications, definitely somebody's doing but, pretty sure that's not a developer. So there won't be delay on updates and doesn't have any connection between updates.

    Everybody gets hyped at some point, however it doesn't stay forever and you'll be either happy or sad after it gets resulted. Not a big deal.

    Fake mod applications was there ever since 2015 (?), it might lead spreading though, but I don't think it's being announced caused that.

    I don't see how it caused to "-A more toxic community".

    As it's been told that Guardian is the entry point to the moderation team, that means nobody'll get to mod status in all of sudden without seeing how they perform during their Guardianship status.



    I don't think we have anybody under age of 15 in moderation team, at least. However if they pick the right people for the job, I don't see any cons of it as ShadowSURFER as an example picked while he was 13 and did good job while his moderatorship.
    Didn't Shadowsurfer say that he was 14 when he got picked?
    IGN: Ephus


    Soviet leader (GL)
    Guild home in [SOVIETGUILDHOME]

    I speak fluent Finnish, Swedish and English.
    Feel free to talk to me in those languages!


    Avatar made by: TheThingIs

  17. #17
    Master Sorcerer QueenChloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Off
    Posts
    1,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokekid123 View Post
    Get this right, this is totally voluntary nothing to do about underaged kids lol
    Can 13 year kid really decide about stuff like this? No. Absolutely no. They are so immature still. your brain is evolving till age of 25 so 13 yo kid is really small kid. Kids can do even crimes without any consequences till age of 15 so who say that 13yo is old enough to decide is he mature enough to work in game? So i am 100% sure that 13yo kid is not even near enough old to decide that he/she could do this work. And they want something today and they doesn't want that same after few days. Their mood changes in every week. Have you seen those kids in game? Every other month they start million projects and every other they quit. And why they do this? Cause they are kids. So there should be some minimum age limit like 16 or something and maybe even 18 if there is enough 18yo players who actually want work for free. I don't think that 13yo can decide about my destiny in any issues what could happen in game. Same as that my daughter would start do big decisions about stuff rn. Hell no, not even close..


    I am a mom and i have 13yo kid. And even better, i remember how i was sure in age of 13 that i'm at least as smart and mature as adults and maybe even smarter and how i now know that i was so wrong. If i now think me in age of 13.. No i don't want even think about that LMAO

    So yeah, i don't like mod applications either and if there will be one, then make sure that there is age limit.
    Level: 125
    Main: QUEENCHLOEGT
    My first farm:CHLOESCASTLE
    Guild home: QUEENSGUILD
    Instagram: QueenChloeGT
    How we could fix famable economy: OPEN LINK HERE


  18. #18
    Master Sorcerer LyveWyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QueenChloe View Post
    Can 13 year kid really decide about stuff like this? No. Absolutely no. They are so immature still. your brain is evolving till age of 25 so 13 yo kid is really small kid. Kids can do even crimes without any consequences till age of 15 so who say that 13yo is old enough to decide is he mature enough to work in game? So i am 100% sure that 13yo kid is not even near enough old to decide that he/she could do this work. And they want something today and they doesn't want that same after few days. Their mood changes in every week. Have you seen those kids in game? Every other month they start million projects and every other they quit. And why they do this? Cause they are kids. So there should be some minimum age limit like 16 or something and maybe even 18 if there is enough 18yo players who actually want work for free. I don't think that 13yo can decide about my destiny in any issues what could happen in game. Same as that my daughter would start do big decisions about stuff rn. Hell no, not even close..


    I am a mom and i have 13yo kid. And even better, i remember how i was sure in age of 13 that i'm at least as smart and mature as adults and maybe even smarter and how i now know that i was so wrong. If i now think me in age of 13.. No i don't want even think about that LMAO

    So yeah, i don't like mod applications either and if there will be one, then make sure that there is age limit.
    1) You can’t verify age
    2) These immature 13 year olds aren’t the people being asked to moderate. It is the (rare) mature 13 year old that can make these decisions.

  19. #19
    Master Sorcerer Oldsock (IGN)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Sock Drawer
    Posts
    6,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokekid123 View Post
    It’s not officially announced or released yet. Lol. I hope not though.

    Furthermore, Guardians or Moderators, they are entitled to one entity - The Moderation Team. I’m really against basically applications that claims to gain you power and fame if you are suited for it. My points are listed above.
    Perhaps not explicitly but it's fairly implicit if you keep up to date with all the announcements, i.e. https://www.growtopiagame.com/forums...Updates-2019-2

    Guardians and Moderators belong to the same team but they play different roles, you made it very clear in your thread you were talking about moderators - the purple name dudes.

    Regarding your other points, I don't see why applications are going to confuse a development team, they mainly develop content for the game. I imagine staff such as NekoRei whose role "Community Manager" implies that she has more to do with the applications. How would what a player writes confuse matters further? Obviously players will have their logs checked or whatever before they're accepted, so why would a misleading application cause an issue? It should logically only harm the applicant's chances.

    A person can't just apply for something and expect to get it, take applying for a job, for example; you can't just apply for a job and expect to get in. The same goes for applications, most people won't be accepted, only a true optimist would have confidence their application would be accepted. Your complaint that applications give people false hope doesn't really make sense.

    Lastly, what would you propose they do to find suitable candidates outside of applications?
    Growtopia: Oldsock/Oldzock
    Instagram: @sockia
    Discord: Oldsock#0653

  20. #20
    Lesser Wizard 10bang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Eden 6
    Posts
    412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LyveWyre View Post
    1) You can’t verify age
    2) These immature 13 year olds aren’t the people being asked to moderate. It is the (rare) mature 13 year old that can make these decisions.
    There are always two sides to a person, just because they act immature won't mean they'll become power hungry after that sweet taste of power over others. Also you can pretty much tell that majority of gt are not over the age of 15, in common but rare cases there are alot of 15+ yo peeps out there that still enjoy the game as myself. I cannot say that enough, put to assume that the 13 yo child who still goes to school can keep up with basically two lives at this point is just absurd... Like QueenChloe said "what if the child starts to fail in school out of the blue?" This would surely be a red flag to parents who see that their student who is soaring in class, came crashing down in a matter of a week or two.
    V I J U T I M E

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •