Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moderator Applications are misleading and should be removed or reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokekid123 View Post
    **Includes Guardian Application (if in future, Ubisoft's planning on one.)

What is a Moderator Application?
    It is basically consist of multiple different questions that you must answer regarding different topics. Created in Seth's and Hamumu's era, they used to check the Moderator Application, see it as a way to hire new mods. It is usually opens every once in a blue moon and is found in the Gazette.
    - I'm not sure how regularly they check them, and what they are based on, but it is fine.
    This method has been carried out once in the entire lifespan of Growtopia. There is such little information on the process of how moderators were picked back then so it is bad for you to make such assumptions. From what you can see, the majority of the moderators that came out of those applications were great at what they did. This seemingly proves that these applications were effective.

Why I feel that Mod Appls are misleading?
    I feel that it's misleading to the developers, staffs and the community in actual fact. It is very misleading to the developers as, let's be frank, usually Mod Applications are very inaccurate, children could get help from a senior to further exaggerate their speech. Sure, Mod Applications might sound very formal and fantastic, but is it really catered to the long term development of the game? My answer to you is nope. It is a time waste for developers - since they claim to look through each and every single one of the Applications, and mind me, it's over 10 thousand of them. How much time would you have wasted instead of trying to legitimately make the game better - more community events, more dialogues with growtopians as a community on the game, reading and absorbing feedbacks, coming together as a growtopia staff and talk about what could further improve the game as a whole.
    I'm pretty certain Seth and Hamumu did not justify their decision solely on the basis of what they wrote in the moderator application. It gave them an understanding of the person - their thoughts, their problem-solving skills, how they came across and their honesty. You can get a feel of someone from a personal application, this is why jobs do it in-real-life. You don't get the job solely from your application, though it does make somewhat of a difference. If your application doesn't correlate well to how you actually act then they will see you as deceitful and probably cancel your possibility of being accepted out. Seth and Hamumu most likely thoroughly looked into candidates that they thought could be possible moderators and saw how they acted and how it aligned to their application. This is a tedious process but they would have to make sure their choice is right because of the amount of power moderators have.

Secondly As you know, the demographic trend of Growtopia is basically towards children, minors. After completing the Moderator Application, their first instinct is going to be like "yey. I've done mod app, HAHA I be mod tmr... u noob". Let's be real, Moderator Application will give them 'False Hope' of being a mod and it just sucks.
    That'll be a valuable life lesson to them that they can't just presume they'll be chosen for everything.

Moderator Applications are really toxic - this is probably why it brought so many people in the game in my opinion, they just want power and fame. I'm sick and tired of people asking legit Mods how to be a mod, this just shows how much of a impact, a bad one, the Applications imposed. I'm sick and tired of Mods trying to come up with crazy and bizarre stories just to satisfy that person. It's just unreasonable and sad to say the least. Is this the Growtopia we all want?

Problems it gave
    - Fake Mods Applications
    Random people trying to create fake mod apps just to hack others. Pathetic.
    - A more toxic community
    - A negative desire to gain power and fame
    The applications themselves didn't elicit this toxicity surrounding people wanting to become moderators, the sheer attention and power moderators have is extremely appealing to people, especially that of Growtopia's demographic. Fake mod applications came from the desire and want to become a moderator - the applications are merely a process of where to begin looking for moderators. They alone do not make you a moderator. The sad thing about people is that some will find any way to tap into people's wants and desires and use them against them to gain from them.

The toxic community came from the way the community handle everything. Growtopia revolves heavily around trading and profiting now, which has motives of greed, want, goals, ambition, etc. Since Growtopia is full of kids, the rationality of player's morality isn't quite as developed and thus they become excessive or negative. Being rich in Growtopia means you can do a lot more, and being famous means you have attention. Being free to do what you like and getting all this attention is very appealing to humans, not just in Growtopia.

I don't see how there is any negative desire to gain power and fame.
    𝓶𝔂 𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓵𝓭𝓼 : PURPOSES ¦ SELFDEPRIVED ¦ FEARLISTENS ¦ RIFT ¦ PSYCHOVILLE ¦ ROYALFESTIVAL
    32 WOTDs

Discord Tag: xdpical#7777

Quote Originally Posted by QueenChloe View Post
    Why ppl can't never see the problem in that, when someone train some other dude to do something, then the trainer can't work at the time and trained can't either. So when someone uses his resources to train some other to do something and that trained dude continues just 3 months, that is huge waste of time and effort. Idk does my english skills be enough to explain this. lol But it is always huge waste of resources when someone train other person and that other person wont use those skills more than 3 months. So all waste just time if they hire many 3-6month workers and after 3-6 months they need start this training part again with new players. So that's why the most important part is, how exited player are. Those who are exited still are more valuable players than those who has 6 years done and who play this just cause they haven't found yet any other things to do. Ppl get bored with time and that is the fact.
    I don't know how the training works, but I'm certainly sure it won't take 3 months.

It is true that once you've been playing for a long time you might get bored, but they won't hire players who aren't motivated. Your worries about them stepping down after a while is too exaggerated (in my opinion only, of course). Also they haven't really never said that they wouldn't hire someone with only couple years of playtime. Experience matters a lot, and usually it goes hand in hand with the time played, but there are exceptional players out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullifer View Post
    You're speaking of moderators like they have signed a contract of a sort. They really haven't, they've been asked if they're interested and they've accepted the job.
    I'm pretty sure Ubisoft won't sue a kid for not doing a voluntary job correctly. It's as simple as; you break the rules, you get demoted. No legal action taken.

I understand your concern, but I believe everyone worth the status deserves a chance at it. That's why they go through an internship at first, with not much powers at all.
    The people running this game are experienced, they're not just going to make a game breaking decision to hire every kid they see.

Besides, most mods already are adults, if not all. There's no need to worry.
    Well.. that is what you think, but i think that reality is little different, cause they put ppl sign those kind of things in other lighter issues too, so when we talk about mod position, i am actually very sure that they want make confidentiality agreement. So would be nice to hear some answers from ubimods for my questions. That could help when 30k kids are thinking about sending mod application. If they would know more, they would maybe think twice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Climper View Post
    I don't know how the training works, but I'm certainly sure it won't take 3 months.

It is true that once you've been playing for a long time you might get bored, but they won't hire players who aren't motivated. Your worries about them stepping down after a while is too exaggerated (in my opinion only, of course). Also they haven't really never said that they wouldn't hire someone with only couple years of playtime. Experience matters a lot, and usually it goes hand in hand with the time played, but there are exceptional players out there.
    Didn't say that training last 3months, said that first other waste some time to train new guardian and then guardian step down after 3 months so all train work is wasted time.
    Level: 125
    Main: QUEENCHLOEGT
    My first farm:CHLOESCASTLE
    Guild home: QUEENSGUILD
    Instagram: QueenChloeGT
    How we could fix famable economy: OPEN LINK HERE

Didn't say that training last 3months, said that first other waste some time to train new guardian and then guardian step down after 3 months so all train work is wasted time.
    Training takes hypothetically speaking 1 month. The Guardian will help the community for 3 months. The one teaching him/her uses 1 month of his/her time on the Guardian instead on other players. From the 3 months the Guardian is working he/she "pays" back the 1 month someone taught him/her and also provides 2 months for the community. It's not a waste of time.
    Last edited by Climper; 12-04-2019 at 08:56 PM.

would be nice to hear some answers from ubimods for my questions. That could help when 30k kids are thinking about sending mod application.
    I completely agree with you on this

Contact Me:

See my thread on respect

This thread is just wOW-
    Don’t wait for opportunity. Create it.
    Ways to contact me:
    Instagram: Winwoodgt
    Discord: Winwood#0566
    In-game: WiNwOoD
    May you have a pleasant day ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Techy
    This method has been carried out once in the entire lifespan of Growtopia. There is such little information on the process of how moderators were picked back then so it is bad for you to make such assumptions. From what you can see, the majority of the moderators that came out of those applications were great at what they did. This seemingly proves that these applications were effective.
    What assumptions did I make based on how they were chosen?

Quote Originally Posted by Techy
    The applications themselves didn't elicit this toxicity surrounding people wanting to become moderators, the sheer attention and power moderators have is extremely appealing to people, especially that of Growtopia's demographic. Fake mod applications came from the desire and want to become a moderator - the applications are merely a process of where to begin looking for moderators. They alone do not make you a moderator. The sad thing about people is that some will find any way to tap into people's wants and desires and use them against them to gain from them.
    They do in my opinion. The Growtopia community is very complex in a way, there must be something which triggered their desire of power/fame/getting richer, and one of them is the Mod/(Future Guard if there is) application.
    "If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room." - Confucius
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting scars to prove we show for it." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by LyveWyre View Post
    Look, I am going to add a final point of mine, that being many of you are totally blowing the problems way out of proportion (many of them don't even exist at all).
    I hope this is not pointing towards me. If so, Lyve, can u point it out (only my texts)?
    "If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room." - Confucius
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting scars to prove we show for it." - Unknown

" The Problems It Gave: "
    - Fake Mods Applications
    - A more toxic community

So by discarding the idea of moderator applications being done on websites, you hope to demolish these problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeosi View Post
    " The Problems It Gave: "
    - Fake Mods Applications
    - A more toxic community

So by discarding the idea of moderator applications being done on websites, you hope to demolish these problems?
    Well, it could have an effect on the fake mod appls. On the community side, it will definitely need more than just the removal/reservation of appls.
    There are a lot of components in problems, it is complex. Mod appls are just one of the factors in that complexity.

What assumptions did I make based on how they were chosen?
    "It is usually opens every once in a blue moon and is found in the Gazette."
    > The applications have only ever been released once, so its frequency is undeterminable. If I recall, the applications were found on the website if you looked and advertised on the forums (they may have also been mentioned in the Gazette but I don't think there was any direct link from there).

"I feel that it's misleading to the developers, staffs and the community in actual fact."
    > I don't think they are misleading whatsoever. This assumption comes from the idea that children - though, a moderator is rarely chosen from that youthful demographic anyways - will attempt to deceive their way into becoming a moderator. Moderator applications were the players advertising themselves in a way that is an incentive towards the developers so that they appear appropriate for the position. This is why they do thorough research into the possible candidate so that their choice is appropriate - this is why it took long and was slow. Seth and Hamumu were two people, Ubisoft is 10x+ more than that. I don't think it was a "time waste" but rather just time-consuming.

"A negative desire to gain power and fame"
    > Where does this assumption come from though?

They do in my opinion. The Growtopia community is very complex in a way, there must be something which triggered their desire of power/fame/getting richer, and one of them is the Mod/(Future Guard if there is) application.
    The Growtopia community is very reflective of the actual society. The desire for greed and status came from the attention and power the rich players got early on. The more world locks you had, the more things you could buy. The more world locks you had, the higher your status was. It's the same reason why everyone in society seeks fame and fortune; everybody wants success.

Moderators were designed in a way that made them noticeable (which some can argue is both bad and good). This ties into the status symbol they hold and the power they manifest. This is appealing to players (especially to young developing minds) as:
    - they have ability to punish players, i.e. control the player base somewhat
    - abilities to separate them from other players, i.e. able to go through blocks
    - ability to teleport to players without their consent, i.e. power over them
    - their obtrusive nametag, i.e. status symbol

Toxicity does not arise from the applications themselves because they do not elicit any of these traits, but rather the actual design of moderators themselves do. The application is a mere gateway to becoming a moderator to a degree.
    𝓶𝔂 𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓵𝓭𝓼 : PURPOSES ¦ SELFDEPRIVED ¦ FEARLISTENS ¦ RIFT ¦ PSYCHOVILLE ¦ ROYALFESTIVAL
    32 WOTDs

Discord Tag: xdpical#7777

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikecats View Post
    They should really pick the older accounts tbh. Since the older accounts have more experience with the game
    Some old growtopians who are playing the game for more than 3-4 years sometimes creates new accounts for themselves so selecting old accounts isn't really a good filter.
    IGN:Chivsy (Formerly known as Chivalry)
    Level: 13
    Need someone to talk to or hangout? Send me a DM
    NEW ACCOUNT
    Mainworld: CHIVY

Hi all,

We know that these fake application sites are a big issue. Even after months we still see players fall for it in the hopes to be a Moderator. At the same time we see that it makes little sense for us to have Guardians and Moderators and separated recruitment for each. We identified a set amount of criteria that a Guardian must meet. For example, we will not except players below 16 years of age. And you will have to prove a certain amount of game experience.

The application will be relatively simple, and only on the Gazette, but the requirements will be tough for new players, unfortunately. We need to make sure to find the right players, they need to be trustworthy, experienced and eager to help the community. That's for Guardians. If a Guardian grows in their role, we're going to promote them eventually, but that process will be internal. Furthermore, if we see a Guardian not being fit to be a Moderator (yet) they won't become one and if we even see that they are not able to fulfill the role as Guardian, they will be demoted.

Except!
    I believe the Moderator Applications should just be reserved for persons that Ubisoft finds potential in being a real Moderator. It should signify as a confirmation and it helps amplify the potential that the person has.
    - Ubisoft should PM them the Application with questions on the forums. List all instructions clearly. Not using a website.
    With the amount of applications we would get on the forums, it would be very insufficient to treat every application fairly. The entry point will be Guardian via survey application as well as a background check on our end. Only if you pass both you will be considered as a potential Guardian. The number will be limited though each time we recruit, hence we're only going to choose the most suited. From then, we have just a few players to monitor and see if they are a good fit — and they will actually have to prove themselves before they are given more power and become a Moderator.

~ Baskerville

Pretty sure everything is cleared up as of now since Baskerville stated that they won't accept those under the age of 16 (lucky me )

So to the like 60% of gt's community goodluck, get old, and have fun
    Its simple to think being blind in one eye is easy..

Til' you have no eyes.

10bang the frog -2019 (Vote me for president btw)

Squire

I think anyone who will become mods is good. but remember this. if you choose ordinary people become mods. Growtopia players who are already famous and for years promoting this game will be sad/disappointed. if mods are given to famous people then everyone will compete to become famous. being mods is everyone's dream. except me. because I already know that hackers, casinos, spammers, scammers, etc never die. very tiring.
    Oh yeah, I made Instagram (instagram: Galastiz) to help newbie to get rich and suggest play Growtopia game. If you have any problm, maybe i can help because I played this game more than 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Galastiz View Post
    I think anyone who will become mods is good. but remember this. if you choose ordinary people become mods. Growtopia players who are already famous and for years promoting this game will be sad/disappointed. if mods are given to famous people then everyone will compete to become famous. being mods is everyone's dream. except me. because I already know that hackers, casinos, spammers, scammers, etc never die. very tiring.
    Oh yeah, I made Instagram (instagram: Galastiz) to help newbie to get rich and suggest play Growtopia game. If you have any problm, maybe i can help because I played this game more than 5 years
    Well, they didn't exactly mention that they won't recruit old or famous players at all, but they also didn't mention that they will only recruit them aswell. So I'm guessing the final end result is going to end up being an even-enough mix of some old, very experienced players, along with some slightly new, but trustworthy and caring players who are found to be well-fitted for the role.
    Last edited by MineDeath; 12-06-2019 at 10:48 AM.
    IGN - MineDeath
    If Anything is possible, then it's possible for it to be impossible for anything to be possible! .
    Instagram:
    Instagram Link!
    Discord:
    Discord Link!

Quote Originally Posted by Baskerville View Post
    We identified a set amount of criteria that a Guardian must meet. For example, we will not except players below 16 years of age. And you will have to prove a certain amount of game experience.

~ Baskerville
    So how are you guys going to verify age? I can be doing the surveys and saying that I’m 26 years old while in fact I’m 13. (Not true. Just for an example.)