View Poll Results: Petition to change WOTD to WOTW (finally)

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make the change already

63 46.67%
  • No

72 53.33%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition to change WOTD to WOTW (finally)

Quote Originally Posted by LyveWyre View Post
    one of the many benefits of the rating system is that you can find worlds to play should you play through the WOTW (if it were implemented).
    Ok maybe I am using the rating system wrong but most of the top 100 of the rated worlds are udder trash like fossil farms with signs saying rate 5 that lead to a underwheling easy parkour. I think the rating system needs an overhaul. but atm it is not a viable alternative to wotd
    Banned and Unbanned for The Carnival Ban Glitch. U Be Soft Please Fix

Quote Originally Posted by NekoWolf View Post
    I disagree GREATLY with this idea. What if they STILL manage to pick a world that doesn't look so great? then what? it'll still be on display for a week. Some people work extremely hard on their worlds and it shows. Some people put little effort in, which can be infuriating if they win, but just deal with it honestly, there's always the next day. There is absolutely no need to be so sour against those worlds that look low effort. It's a literal game where half the population are kids. Seriously, what do you expect. Another point I have to make- Some worlds may look low-effort because the owner can't afford to buy the blocks they want to, so they have to improvise. they may have amazing ideas but just can't execute them with their budget. however if they can find a way to do this, then why does it matter if the world looks amazing as long as the ideas are there. the rich only get richer..
    It isn't about how a world looks - that is another thing people need to understand. Building is not about a render. On top of this, budget is not an issue. WOTDs are about creativity, and you can practically build anything creative if you put in the time and some effort. I built my first two WOTDs with less than 10 WLs each, and while they both look terrible, they were creative and fun. WOTDs should not be a hand-out, that is why we are making this argument for the change. Should we just give out trophies and make kids feel good for putting together a piece of crap that many times they know is not of high quality?

Also, what type of comment is that? I know the game is mainly full of kids, and it is a game after all. Does that mean we should suddenly stop caring and let everything go to crap? Think about it - this game relies on the players.

but I put so much effort into my worlds.. they take forever to make because of the unique puzzles that I incorporate and I never said anything about mass producing worlds.. I'm proud of them but if you say my world quality may be poor I'd believe you..

- - - Updated - - -

are you kidding me.. I put in so much effort and time to make my worlds.. this whole thread is so upsetting honestly. but that's just my opinion.
    Art is critical. You can't expect all your worlds to be successful enough to win WOTD from what you view them as finished. When comparing world-building in Growtopia to something like art, you don't see people winning awards for their first paintings. It's trying to separate your world from the tier of average to beyond that - and what I mean by average is that the generic world building formula seems unaltered and repetitive throughout each world that wins. Pixel art covering large surfaces becomes average. Simple parkour becomes average. What is it that makes your world unique? That's what a WOT(D) should be.

Disclaimer: I haven't seen your worlds or have currently tied any to your name, so this isn't based on what I have seen from you - if you make worlds at a reasonable pace and feel like you have done all that you can, then that is fine upon you. But pushing yourself further and challenging your creativity is what helps that quality improve. Learning from your worlds is what makes them good. Trying to be unique is what makes them good. Analyse other people's worlds and see what the general community think about that. Look for aspirations. Winning WOTD or not (for what it is now) should not be your bar. Some of the best worlds only come out once every blue moon or so.
    32 WOTDs
    3 Competitions placed in.

Discord Tag: Hrvy#7777

Now, I understand people have different perspectives, you could totally argue that you like the WOTDs. But to say they are of high quality is just a lie. Often times, the WOTD is put together in a matter of days because it is so simple to win (for many, why put in the extra effort if it is not needed?). Copied pixel arts, block spamming, typical parkours, and stories that are made up as the owner places the signs in broken English do not define "high quality".
    Do you even play the worlds? Or just take a look at the render and think 'ugh this world looks awful why did it win' when you didn't even take a single look inside of the world itself. What the hell do you expect from all builders? The use of 1000 different blocks, ideas, and mechanics? Some people don't have the budget to do that. And about the broken English- Most players that even play Growtopia are from other countries that do NOT speak English as their native language, therefore, the English may not be absolutely PERFECT. But atleast they tried their best. Trying your best is all that matters and honestly you're pretty much saying that trying your best for some people may never be enough.
    ❄️ NekoWolf ❄️
    -
    My heart belongs to dragons 🐉
    -
    Worlds:
    [🔑] GroupEscape [If you like puzzles, this world is for you!]
    [🎃] HalloweenEscape [Same with this one! Just a bit spookier.]
    [🥳] TheMenorah
    -
    PFP: topazi 😭😭

It's a literal game where half the population are kids.
    Minecraft's intended age demographic is largely 7+ to 13+ yet there are still builders (of varying ages) who gobsmack me.
    32 WOTDs

It isn't about how a world looks - that is another thing people need to understand. Building is not about a render. On top of this, budget is not an issue. WOTDs are about creativity, and you can practically build anything creative if you put in the time and some effort. I built my first two WOTDs with less than 10 WLs each, and while they both look terrible, they were creative and fun. WOTDs should not be a hand-out, that is why we are making this argument for the change. Should we just give out trophies and make kids feel good for putting together a piece of crap that many times they know is not of high quality?

Also, what type of comment is that? I know the game is mainly full of kids, and it is a game after all. Does that mean we should suddenly stop caring and let everything go to crap? Think about it - this game relies on the players.
    The fact is that a world doesn't really have a chance to win WOTD if it doesn't look good.
    IGN: Ephus

I speak fluent Finnish, Swedish and English.
    Feel free to talk to me in those languages!

Do you even play the worlds? Or just take a look at the render and think 'ugh this world looks awful why did it win' when you didn't even take a single look inside of the world itself. What the hell do you expect from all builders? The use of 1000 different blocks, ideas, and mechanics? Some people don't have the budget to do that. And about the broken English- Most players that even play Growtopia are from other countries that do NOT speak English as their native language, therefore, the English may not be absolutely PERFECT. But atleast they tried their best. Trying your best is all that matters and honestly you're pretty much saying that trying your best for some people may never be enough.
    Did you read the comment? They are not about the renders! You don't need a high budget to be creative. Creativity has many different definitions...stories, how parkours are structured, use of doors, little things. And no, many times they do not try their best. As I've said, think about it.

Some of my favourite worlds were built on low budgets and looked like ass. But they were creative, which made them fun.

Trying your best does not guarantee you a victory. It may sound harsh, but it's the reality.
    32 WOTDs

Quote Originally Posted by HugeLock View Post
    The fact is that a world doesn't really have a chance to win WOTD if it doesn't look good.
    Uh...have you seen the past 300+ WOTDs? And if you genuinely believe that, then it is an issue on the judging side of things - WOTDs aren't simply about the looks of it.

Level design is all about mixing practical elements with aesthetically pleasing concepts so that the world plays nicely and looks nice. Basing final judgement on appearance solely is not great, and though it may be evident in current WOTDs, I vouch to have that changed. WOTW allows more time for judgement.
    32 WOTDs

Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    Level design is all about mixing practical elements with aesthetically pleasing concepts so that the world plays nicely and looks nice. Basing final judgement on appearance solely is not great, and though it may be evident in current WOTDs, I vouch to have that changed. WOTW allows more time for judgement.
    Devs don't have the time to look through and go to each and every world. that's why the render and description matters. Even with Wotw, I bet they would still just pick worlds last minute.
    ❄️ NekoWolf ❄️
    -
    -
    Worlds:
    [🥳] TheMenorah
    -

Devs don't have the time to look through and go to each and every world. that's why the render and description matters. Even with Wotw, I bet they would still just pick worlds last minute.
    That is why we are suggesting WOTW...also why people are mentioning have other people select the world.
    I don't know how you see it, but at this point your responses are just totally contradicting your arguments and looking bad.

No offense Lyve, but you're introducing your idea like it's the one thing that would save all of the wotd problems. In my opinion, the thing that would solve problems regarding wotds would be better judgement on the mod's part, but still keep them DAILY.
    ❄️ NekoWolf ❄️
    -
    -
    Worlds:
    [🥳] TheMenorah
    -

I agree with this, more competition - means more "woah, I think I need to do better to win the trophy". Most likely be a challenge to all Epic Quest go-ers since with this change, they will end up try making a good world. You can't say "most people playing Growtopia are kids", so what? Let their imagination wild free, WOTD's are not just how the world looks - but the fun in creating and challenging other people, moreover, the fun done inside the world which is also a big plus when picking WOTDs.
    Unofficial Growtopia Trailer 4 below!

In-Game Name: Viju
    Content Moderator at Growtopia Wikia since November 23, 2018
    Discord Tag: Viju#7557
    Former Forum Name: Mijuki04
    IG: @onlinepricechecker

No offense Lyve, but you're introducing your idea like it's the one thing that would save all of the wotd problems. In my opinion, the thing that would solve problems regarding wotds would be better judgement on the mod's part, but still keep them DAILY.
    Again...another great comment. I'm an old and experienced player. I know changing the WOTD to WOTW won't change everything but it is certainly a start - this is a change that is necessary and has been dragged out for way too long. Quit making judgments and start looking at facts.

That is why we are suggesting WOTW...also why people are mentioning have other people select the world.
    I don't know how you see it, but at this point your responses are just totally contradicting your arguments and looking bad.
    Wow.. I'm sorry that I'm not the best at making arguments but I'm just trying to protect my opinions. Clearly not good enough to meet your standards.
    ❄️ NekoWolf ❄️
    -
    -
    Worlds:
    [🥳] TheMenorah
    -

Wow.. I'm sorry that I'm not the best at making arguments but I'm just trying to protect my opinions. Clearly not good enough to meet your standards.
    Go ahead and argue (as I have asked), protect your opinion, but when you start to make arguments that do not make sense, expect to have a response. If you are going to throw your opinion out there, so am I.

alright I regret even saying a single word on this thread.. I was never good at arguments anyways idek why I even try. if this ends up happening I'd just give up building my wotd attempts because it's pretty obvious who's going to win if it's weekly.. so I wouldn't stand a chance with my awful worlds.
    ❄️ NekoWolf ❄️
    -
    -
    Worlds:
    [🥳] TheMenorah
    -

alright I regret even saying a single word on this thread.. I was never good at arguments anyways idek why I even try. if this ends up happening I'd just give up building my wotd attempts because it's pretty obvious who's going to win if it's weekly.. so I wouldn't stand a chance with my awful worlds.
    I agree. This will just demotivate regular players like me to even build any world to begin with, leaving only the pro builders (I shall not name them) to win.
    IGN: Ephus

I speak fluent Finnish, Swedish and English.
    Feel free to talk to me in those languages!

I agree. This will just demotivate regular players like me to even build any world to begin with, leaving only the pro builders (I shall not name them) to win.
    Another thing you guys are totally misinterpreting. Do you realize that these "pro builders" you talk about do not care about themselves? These players are pretty old and are concerned about the game, thus this suggestion came about. The intent is to stimulate building, not destroy it further. Sure, they would like to win as well but they do not have time to produce worlds that quickly nor do they want to. If they dominate the WOTW, and people do not care about building, why should they want to build in the first place?

Techy does not want/have the ability to win every single week. Stop spreading this belief around the forums, it is absolutely horrible.