View Poll Results: Petition to change WOTD to WOTW (finally)

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make the change already

63 46.67%
  • No

72 53.33%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Petition to change WOTD to WOTW (finally)

What is bad is that:
    *They mainly base on render (as what growtopians say)
    *No try outs (picker must check, play, and finish the gameplay)
    *Quality
    *No cooldown
    Hey there folks, come and join us in our very special Secret Santa 2019 ⛄

By clicking this link❄
    https://www.growtopiagame.com/forums...ret-Santa-2019

IGN: Kaito
    World: KAITO
    Instagram: @kaitonatics

Lesser Wizard

I'm in for this change. Quality worlds take a week on average to build, and making it a WOTW would clarify this idea. I feel that this will increase the serious competition between builders.

In addition, players are hesitant of this idea as they think they have no chance of winning due to their lack of confidence. Aside from changing the WOTD to WOTW, a monthly building challenge would more likely hype the building fever.

+ Every monthly update should have more blocks.
    IGN: PixelJr
    Guild: ANCIENTS
    Instagram: @iampixeljr
    Discord: PixelJr#7411
    Growtopia Forums Discord: http://discord.gg/UMnCbX7

Master Sorcerer Boppi Von Finkledorf's Avatar

Well, I don't want to get too deep into this so I'll just leave a couple of points.

1. WOTD is a daily world highlight. Every world doesn't need to be a masterpiece, it's no "Greatest Build of All Time" award. It's just a daily highlight of a new world to explore.

2. The issue I think here is that the trophy has been made too valuable, so now people are getting upset that "low effort" worlds are winning it. You're plainly wrong if you think WOTD's of years past have always been top quality, there have been plenty of worlds of varying quality since the very start. Though I wouldn't blame the selection of "bad" winners on a lack of good entries, because there are lots of good worlds that are still waiting to win.

3. I do not believe this will inspire more builders, because many can't even win now with how "easy" it is. There are already lots of people that want to win, but can't. There may be less "bad" winners on a weekly schedule, but not because of an increase in good worlds. Only because there are simply less winners, and it will really be an exercise in hope that Ubisoft would select good worlds to win, even if they had a whole week to decide.

4. A lot of the people here are also arguing that there's no incentive, yet they themselves have won several WOTD's. I'm not sure how you reconcile that other than saying that you perhaps want to feel even more special, as you feel that others winning recently have sullied your achievement somehow. I don't know how you can say "Ohhh I'm just not motivated to make worlds" when you have several WOTD's under your belt, and are even still working on creating more.

5. Holiday/event worlds will also be a large issue here. Many people build worlds for holidays and events, but with a weekly structure only one or two would reasonably be able to win within a timely period, leaving perhaps a dozen or so other worlds that should have won something to get nothing instead, unless they wait until next year.

6. It's really laughable to say that a WOTD hardly gets any visitors, and that somehow WOTW is going to get... More visitors? Maybe over the course of a week in total it might... But day to day... Probably not. There are users that visit the WOTD every day they log in, I doubt they'd be so enticed to enter the same world 7 days in a row. WOTD winners always get some level of Honors, so it's silly to say that nobody cares. Obviously someone is visiting them.

I think WOTD is fine and should stay as it is. The fact that the trophies have become unreasonably expensive seems to be the main issue here. There have always been "bad" WOTD's so anyone saying otherwise perhaps has some rose colored glasses on when looking to the past. It was never supposed to be a "Best world ever" award, it was just a daily highlighted world to build interest in exploring what the community had to offer.

Perhaps they should add a second more prestigious award. WOTW or WOTM, these worlds would be painstakingly chosen each week/month and would also win the WOTD on the day they are chosen. (perhaps the last day of each month, or the first). These would give some other prize, in addition to the WOTD. This should appease those of you seeking more prestige. If you're seeking out more profits, then I would say that you are simply being greedy, but worse you're trying to deprive others at the same time.

If we'll have WOTD, we need more relevant world features, parkour items (like cybots) and extra additions for a world so that in THAT ONE WEEK, a world wouldn't just be limited to parkour
    V I J U T I M E

Less wotds => better quality => more popularity

Maybe having about 2/week would be better.

Also, if this would be implemented, they’d have to actually try the world (content like story and everything else) and give it an honest chance.
    Another thing they could do would be to add bonus points to longer worlds, those taking about 20+ mins. A world with ~ 5 mins of content would be very short comparing to that whole week.

A WOTD should be a special and unique world, and that really isn’t possible when they pick 365 worlds/year (probably much less). Just a handful of those are actually nice.
    Hey, I'm Anton0202!
    I’m just a guy who loves to build worlds!
    16 WOTDs and counting...
    Creator of the Swedish Start world.

Knight

Question

What about VOTW?
    Main World: FROSTYBITE487
    GrowID: FrostByte487

This year goal:

Get a DL (1/100) (THIS MIGHT BE OUTDATED)

Quote Originally Posted by Anton0202 View Post

Also, if this would be implemented, they’d have to actually try the world (content like story and everything else) and give it an honest chance.
    Another thing they could do would be to add bonus points to longer worlds, those taking about 20+ mins. A world with ~ 5 mins of content would be very short comparing to that whole week.

A WOTD should be a special and unique world, and that really isn’t possible when they pick 365 worlds/year (probably much less). Just a handful of those are actually nice.
    This is the same thought i wanted it to be. But the problem is itll be 3-4 days if its 2/week. At least in this, the world is not too repetitive and slow at the same time. Plus naming it something very creative is required.
    //iostream
    using namespace std

Int main()
    Cout >> "Peck! Pyeck!";

Robin's Carpentry Building Guide
    Supported by Natsuki~

To be Human~

If they do this, can we also have the Ultra Trophy back please?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt2man View Post
    Dyn has been here for so long I feel that he's a lich or something.

oh yeah btw my discord is @Dynnie#3475

Current avatar by Electrolava6, thank you!

Well, firstly, the ones who pick, they are the main problem here.

Secondly, “quality”, it depends on person. We all have different views on “quality”.

However I agree with the fact that it would attract more players to see a world that has been recognized as WOTW. Adding up, sometimes, we don’t just have the time to visit the world due to being busy or several other reasons. I’d give us the opportunity to visit the world as well!

And lastly, I also do agree with the fact that it’d encourage builders to spend more time on their projects. They’d also be more motivated knowing that a tough and a challenging competition will be waiting for them which would help them concentrate more on their projects.

Good points mate

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HugeLock View Post
    I agree. This will just demotivate regular players like me to even build any world to begin with, leaving only the pro builders (I shall not name them) to win.
    Nah, you won't have to rush.

By not rushing, you’ll be able to concentrate and in fact it’ll help you to get better and practice. You know, practice makes it perfect. You develop by giving your time and your effort into it.
    Last edited by TobyLerasco; 12-24-2019 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boppi Von Finkledorf View Post
    5. Holiday/event worlds will also be a large issue here. Many people build worlds for holidays and events, but with a weekly structure only one or two would reasonably be able to win within a timely period, leaving perhaps a dozen or so other worlds that should have won something to get nothing instead, unless they wait until next year.
    This is definitely a solid point - I'd be interested to see if those believing it should be changed have a counter for this that isn't:
    • Tough luck. The best worlds will win in this period.
    • There are building seasonal contests now, so it doesn't matter.
    • Have the event worlds chosen long after the event ends (this influx would just make building non-event worlds moot, so this wouldn't work).

While I don't disagree that WOTW would be a nice change of pace, I really don't see a need to change it as such, either. You claimed it'd be a nice step in the right direction, well I personally feel there are better steps to be taken that don't hinder peoples chances seven fold.

Better judging of WOTDs.

As Nenkai said: allow certain mods to pick WOTDs themselves - but not alone, I'm sure they can provide input now; let them involve experienced builders. Players have more experience in Growtopia than Ubisoft, and this is certainly true when it comes to building. I'm not an avid builder myself, but I could definitely think of a few players who could provide some solid input.

Selecting a few mods to help officially run the WOTD process, where they could then run a group where experienced, hand-selected builders could offer their input as well (though, to keep it fair they should give up their right to win a WOTD throughout their time as a judge & there would be rules in place to prevent bias) would be a really great step.

Though, having them be able to update the Gazette and give out the prizes would be an obstacle.

Incentives for visitors, not just builders.

People often yammer on about how we should give builders more incentives and how we should make WOTD more beneficial to the builders. While I agree there has to be a certain amount of motivation for builders, one of the main points people often bring up about the problems with WOTD is the lack of attention they receive (I don't think this is inherently true; they might be less popular than they once were but that doesn't mean they don't pull a crowd in at all). I actually believe they'd be less popular (on a day by day basis, not a total visitor count) if it were changed to WOTW.

Providing benefits to players to visit the WOTDs as well as building them would be a fantastic step into revitalising the allegedly dead WOTD process. Ideally, we'd have something similar to a Blarney Stone placed in the WOTD on the day it's chosen (would be placed by the mod if the previous point was implemented) - these would give out random, new items of varying rarities.

Or, if you want to be lazy about it throw in a Growtoken once/day if you visit the new WOTD for x amount of time.

Trophies no longer have symbolic value.

Every single trophy in Growtopia has become either:
    • A niche collectible.
    • A legendary quest step making the value skyrocket.

IMO, this takes away from the item being a trophy and instead makes it some vanity item to be used for profit. While I don't disagree WOTDs should yield profit (builders deserve a bit of cash for their efforts) I think there should be an additional, untradeable (as trophies should have always been) item for WOTD winners. Something that can't be bought and shows you went the extra mile in building.

The medals from Guild Clashes are a good example of this (although, again, they're a legendary quest step - which is odd); perhaps along w/ a WOTD trophy you could also throw in an untradeable medal. It'd be nifty to add untradeable medals for different things, to give players new goals to strive for and give them a reward that actually shows how hard they've worked.
    Last edited by Jack Bowe; 12-08-2019 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Made points more clear.
    The Forum Manual!

Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it.

I am for the change of WOTD to WOTW, as I feel like honestly, around 2016 my WOTDs were sort of the peak and it all went downhill from there because I lack motivation to even give my everything to my worlds, since a half-assed world can win anyway. Sure, I still put effort, but I feel like I gave all my love for my older WOTDs rather than my newer ones, lol. I've been visiting WOTDs randomly these past months and most of them have been very generic and bland, thus demotivating me from visiting more.

I feel like this change would motivate people to give their all to build. If it makes you think the opposite, then you should try looking at it in a positive light -- the quality of WOT(D/W)s have a better chance of improving this way (I'm not 100% sure it will, but this is one step to improve it IMO), and more people would actually be interested in visiting WOTWs if it's put in a higher pedestal than it is now.

Nobody was harmed in the making of this picture... I hope.

IGN: ElectroDream
    Discord: Dreamy#2149
    IG: @electrodreamy
    WOTD count: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Anton0202 View Post

I agree on this, maybe disregarding the terms "WOTD" and "WOTW" and changing it to Featured Worlds or Hall of Worlds so that the world pickers don't have to choose a deserving world to win everyday. At least 2-5 worlds will be featured per week.
    Last edited by JonVince2; 12-08-2019 at 12:45 AM.
    Hello there, enjoy your day.

What if Ubisoft staff decide to choose all "lower quality" worlds instead?

Still, I like the idea.
    may my demise be a promise to you.

Overall I am seeing that we need a change - whether or not that is WOTW. Keep the ideas and feedback rolling, the more we have, the better.

I was thinking about this a little more. I think I have an idea (forgive me if this has already been mentioned on this thread)
    How about instead of wotw, why not like a showcase of 5 worlds that is reset once a week? The main issue with picking is with the daily commitment to it. Adding a little more work but once a week would be better, as it would result in everything done in one go. I'm sure giving 5 worlds a week but only done once a week and put in a showcase world (or preferably, on the world selection) would solve most of the "bad quality" problems
    the benefits of a wotw would still be there: no daily commitment, the week's worth of time to improve, etc while allowing many other people to have a chance.
    IGN: MadameZ

I agree with the idea of making it WOTW instead of WOTD, however I think there is a better solution to the problem of bad WOTDs.

First, the Gazette needs to be redesigned with the WOTD link at the TOP of the news window, the addition of an X in the top right corner means players don't need to scroll to the bottom and hence nobody checks the WOTD. Second, there should be incentive to visit the WOTD.

Include those 2 suggestions before making it a WOTW, and if they still haven't fixed anything, then go ahead with WOTW.
    Growtopia: Oldsock/Oldzock
    Instagram: @sockia
    Discord: Oldsock#0653

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, we'll discuss the idea internally and then decide on the next course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayame View Post
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions, we'll discuss the idea internally and then decide on the next course of action.
    no plz dont it will ruin wotds

NO! There will be no person visiting it after like 2 days. If they finished the world, they will not start it again because it is time consuming. We see, there are no much people in wotds these days. People most likely to just try the wotd then leave it alone..
    I WLL MISS M1TCH, BYE !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
    Bye, AlyMilk Best of luck and thank you for your kind words

Quote Originally Posted by Ayame View Post
    I really hope you guys are gonna consider the replies in the thread aswell. An update like this would require proper judging of the worlds, plus the fact that about 2/week would also be a really good option. This aswell as many other great ideas in this thread.
    Hey, I'm Anton0202!
    I’m just a guy who loves to build worlds!
    16 WOTDs and counting...
    Creator of the Swedish Start world.