View Poll Results: Petition to change WOTD to WOTW (finally)

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make the change already

63 46.67%
  • No

72 53.33%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Petition to change WOTD to WOTW (finally)

Quote Originally Posted by Warfreak10 View Post
    No,they will make WOTD trophy price rising like growie award
    To add to what Techy said, what is with you guys worrying about the price of the item? The change and benefits brought about by switching up the rewarding system for world building is much greater than not being able to buy a trophy that is useless other than the purposes of a legendary item...which affects a small portion of the population.

Weekly Trophies = Trophies Rise
    Trophies rise = more people desperate to win
    More people deslerate to win = more rushed worlds

There's a few questions i'd like to ask regarding having the same world as a winning WOTW for over the course of one week. Will people enjoy the same world for that time period? If it takes a few minutes to finish playing the winning world, what's the point of it even staying there? One of the main goals of your change is that you want people to visit these winning worlds, but if it's the same thing over and over, even if the world is good or not, there will be little to nobody inside it after the first few days

Quote Originally Posted by Corrects View Post

There's a few questions i'd like to ask regarding having the same world as a winning WOTW for over the course of one week. Will people enjoy the same world for that time period? If it takes a few minutes to finish playing the winning world, what's the point of it even staying there? One of the main goals of your change is that you want people to visit these winning worlds, but if it's the same thing over and over, even if the world is good or not, there will be little to nobody inside it after the first few days
    1. Your belief about how the trophy rising will result in lower quality worlds is not necessarily true, and until it is in place, you can't determine what the result will be. However, I would argue (and as many have already said), as competition grows and it becomes more difficult to win, the quality of worlds should improve.
    2. So many of you guys have lost focus on the purpose of the WOTD anyways - it is to showcase a world that deserves it. The purpose of having a WOTW is to provide more exposure to the world. So yes, players will complete the world and have to wait however many days it will be until the next one is chosen, but people who legitimately visit WOTDs and enjoy playing them are not restricted to the WOTW. This is another argument I find so silly because people believe that others will "get bored of the same world". For the very few people that even bother with WOTDs have many tools to find fun worlds to play around in.
    3. The change of the WOTD system is not about having a constant group of players in the world at one time. Sure, that expectation can hold true with a WOTD, as it is a short time period for a mass amount of players, like it did back in the days when there were at minimum 10 players in the WOTD at any given moment. However, a WOTW should attract enough player attention over a course of a week that you would not receive with a WOTD. I would imagine as well that the world would be very busy for the first day or two every single week, which is significantly better than the current WOTD attendance, even if it means the rest of the week the world is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrects View Post
    To add to what Lyve said:

Weekly Worlds = Trophies Rise
    Trophies Rise = more people wanting to win (higher incentive)
    More people wanting to win = higher influx of participants
    Higher influx of participants = more competition
    More competition = people making higher quality worlds so that their worlds will be picked over others

In addition to this, it won't make rushed worlds in any way since people have all week (and, as recommended, more than a week) to build their world and polish it. The problem is not the picker of WOTDs, but rather the standard of WOTDs and quality. People already rush and 'farm' WOTDs purely for profit, recycling repetitive themes, design concepts and quick and easy space fillers to make worlds eligible to win. This is why people add pixel art to their world, to fill space, which is why I see it as mostly lazy. The people who pick WOTDs have a difficult time actually finding a decent one out of the many average to bad ones.
    34 World of the Days won.
    3 World Building Competitions placed in.

I don't think making it WOTW will increase the 'world quality'. It all comes down on the player's dedication in building and how much time he/she spends. Imagine waiting a week hoping you could win WOTD, then you end up not winning. Only until then you realize that you have to improve after a whole week? What happens if you don't win again? It would just demotivate most players since the process would be slow.

Quality is subjective. The world pickers don't have the same standards as most 'pro' builders. I believe everyone has a chance in winning WOTD. The only requirements you need are dedication and patience.

Canada: The nation of maple syrup and bacon!

Alright, I’m gonna try condensing my response, because when I argue I tend to become overly-verbose. I put my perspective on each of LyveWyre’s points in spoilers so that my reply doesn’t become too long.

TL;DR: I disagree with the change, but I see where the pro-WOTW side comes from. Simple fixes to the WOTD system (which would avoid the need to change it to a weekly system) would include:
    • Setting up a committee of veteran players, builders, Moderators and/or Guardians dedicated to selecting WOTDs to levitate the burden off of the already-overloaded Ubistaff’s backs;
    • Rearrange the Growtopia Gazette to make the WOTD button more accessible;
    • Create a new /wotd command, which would warp people to the day’s WOTD.

Quote Originally Posted by LyveWyre
    1. WOTD quality has been awful in the past few years, by making WOTW you can practically guarantee that there will be peaked interest in participating, which should improve the quality of worlds.

2. WOTD attendance has been atrocious for the past few years, primarily because building hasn't been a priority and there is no reward for visiting these worlds. Even with the change, this still may be the issue but you can guarantee people will be attracted to see a world that has been recognized as the best world for the week. On top of that, it is much easier for players to see it throughout the week and gives them a chance to possibly visit it.

3. It will be significantly easier for the community team to select worlds, considering they won't need to search for worlds and test them daily (as it is right now, they barely have time to do this, they have other duties).

4. Stimulates building as a part of the game rather than the other crap, considering the incentives to build a high-quality world are now much better.

5. Crazy idea, but somehow other games that incorporate building in their game have been way more successful and typically have longer-lasting player bases...almost sounds like something one would want to do in order to earn money after acquiring the game...

6. Added point: for those arguing that by making the change to WOTW will make it "impossible for them to win" clearly shows an issue with the current WOTD system, no? Should the expectation really be that anybody can win with little to no effort?

Thought I’d pitch in my two cents. Let me know what y’all think.
    Nobody comes without mistakes or flaws;
    it's what you make of them
    that shapes who you are.

#LeastKnownForumerOver1kPosts

Wanna talk? Send me a PM!
    IGN: Immaculate

Quote Originally Posted by Immaculate View Post
    Glad to hear a well thought response. One thing I’ve previously mentioned - and something I’ve pulled away from what you said - there needs to be change. For many of you who are not active or see every message on TK69’s discord server, the intention of this thread was to bring about change. I totally expected to hear many people say no to WOTW, but similarly say no to the current WOTD standard. But I am glad to see many responses such as yours, as they provide some thought towards changing the system rather than leaving it to its current state.