View Poll Results: On a scale of -5 to 5, should Devs add more abilities to pets?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • +5 (Strongly Agree)

6 37.50%
  • +4

1 6.25%
  • +3 (Agree)

2 12.50%
  • +2

0 0%
  • +1

0 0%
  • 0 (Neutral)

3 18.75%

1 6.25%

2 12.50%
  • -3 (Disagree)

0 0%

0 0%
  • -5 (Strongly Disagree)

1 6.25%

Thread: [QUICK POLL] On a range of -5 to 5, should Devs add more abilities to pets?

Default [POLL] On a range of -5 to 5, should Devs add more abilities to pets?

This poll is under the context of the Pet Battling Feature of Growtopia. To add to that, the abilities mentioned here refer to Battle Pet abilities, and not mods like Enhanced Digging or Laserbeast.

[Introduction]
    Pet battling has been quite stale for a while - there hasn't been anything new added for a while, so for a handful of the people devoted their game time to pet battling, it's getting a bit boring. So to anyone out there that reads through threads, should the Developers add more battle pet abilities to the game?

UPDATE:
    Wow! I didn't expect this much attention on this thread, and depending on the results of the poll, I will start another thread in the Suggestion Box sections. So for now, we'll wait till about 20-50 votes. Oh and because of the nature of this discussion is leading, I'm gonna change the text in square brackets to [POLL].
    Last edited by Sumotravis30; 12-26-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    This is Sumo. He's just a random level 66 Growtopian.

That's it. What else d'you wanna know?

Master Sorcerer

-2. I believe that it's more important to bring awareness to Pet Battling than just adding new abilities, barely anyone knows of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorddirt View Post
    -2. I believe that it's more important to bring awareness to Pet Battling than just adding new abilities, barely anyone knows of it.
    Really fair point though, although I feel like this could be a way to bring awareness, since adding new abilities encourage people to try and experiment around with pet battling, but either way, your point stands.

Give some ability to the baby bunny damn it
    tu me manques.

Quote Originally Posted by Her View Post
    i want to break up.

i think they shouldn't add anything new for pet battling, but they should add something new to pets as a clothing, maybe? Because pets are kinda useless, because lots of people do not do pet battles. They should add some effects or new features, but not making it overpowered.
    Good thread, i voted.

Quote Originally Posted by Scawt View Post
    Give some ability to the baby bunny damn it
    Baby Bunny: Earth Pet

Ability: Hop
    Description: Hop.
    Cooldown is 3s. But that doesn't matter, this is the epitome of the term useless, since even the hop does nothing. You're better off with even a ladybug or a Mini Growtopian/a Miniburrochaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumotravis30 View Post
    This poll is under the context of the Pet Battling Feature of Growtopia. To add to that, the abilities mentioned here refer to Battle Pet abilities, and not mods like Enhanced Digging or Laserbeast.

[Introduction]
    Pet battling has been quite stale for a while - there hasn't been anything new added for a while, so for a handful of the people devoted their game time to pet battling, it's getting a bit boring. So to anyone out there that reads through threads, should the Developers add more battle pet abilities to the game?
    Many have been requesting this for ages and I just realized one thing.

There's always something "unfair" in pet battling. There are troll decks, OP decks for those who can afford and those weak decks that can't beat the stronger decks. I believe that pet battling deserves a re-balance and that developers should add a new way to get abilities, my suggestion is that they add a training camp wherein you can train your pets for a specific amount of gems to get a specific ability or battle their way up the XP bar and unlock new abilities!
    It's time to remove VIJU TIME on our siggys.

Baby Bunny: Earth Pet

Ability: Hop
    Description: Hop.
    Cooldown is 3s. But that doesn't matter, this is the epitome of the term useless, since even the hop does nothing. You're better off with even a ladybug or a Mini Growtopian/a Miniburrochaun.
    Give the baby bunny rabies or somethin just make it vicious on the battlefield or give it any offense or defense ability maybe eat carrot and heal your deck
    tu me manques.

Quote Originally Posted by Her View Post
    i want to break up.

Quote Originally Posted by JimIzPro View Post
    Many have been requesting this for ages and I just realized one thing.

There's always something "unfair" in pet battling. There are troll decks, OP decks for those who can afford and those weak decks that can't beat the stronger decks. I believe that pet battling deserves a re-balance and that developers should add a new way to get abilities, my suggestion is that they add a training camp wherein you can train your pets for a specific amount of gems to get a specific ability or battle their way up the XP bar and unlock new abilities!
    For tournaments, get a banlist so uncompetitive decks like this don't get a chance to win. But that's for another thread.

And for casual play, even nowadays a handful of people that are more OG (during the early days of pet battling) view these decks as uncompetitive, although some variants are acceptable due to the changing meta.

Oh and for your argument on expensive pets, it's not always the case. I've been battling with a bat and dragon since the dawn of my pet battling journey, and it's still good until today, even against some troll decks, but that's only because of pure skill. However, you do have a fair point, cause it gets demotivating for less experienced players to get farmed over and over by these uncompetitive sacks of Garbodors and Trubbish (a bit phrased by opinion, sry, just had to.), and even I am forced to adapt by engineering stronger decks that could withstand the meta better.

And the leveling up system, this may be biased from a guy that played pet battling for a long time, but something like getting an XP system on pets seem a bit "not pet-battle like". And on a more objective standpoint, it may break the meta completely (since getting new skills meant that the decks people will carry will also jumble and be an unstable transition, which is bad).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scawt View Post
    Give the baby bunny rabies or somethin just make it vicious on the battlefield or give it any offense or defense ability maybe eat carrot and heal your deck
    A bunny with rabies is already like the existing Pet Bunny:

Pet Bunny - Earth Pet
    Ability: Big Sharp Pointy Teeth
    Description: Murder violently. Inflicts 30 Earth damage.
    Cooldown: 15s

Which from the description: Murder violently, it's practically the same, so doing the same for baby bunny gets kinda redundant.

And also, even Growtopia Wiki quotes the baby bunny in the trivia section, by verbatim:

"The baby bunny's pet battle ability does nothing except make the current pet jump visually every 3 seconds, effectively wasting the player's pet. It is unsure if it is meant to be a satire regarding expensive items and overpowered abilities."

Morianna here, I think the problem for the lack of popularity in Pet Battle is the intimidating costs of getting into it

Usually cheap decks that are enough to beat more expensive decks (Like the double dryad,moose and burrito combo) costs anywhere from 30-50 wls. That might sound little to some of us here but it’s definitely not to others...

I also recommend lowering down the costs of making decks. (10 wls per gene splice is way too expensive in my opinion)

And lastly, The amount of gems from the Pet Battle tournament should not be from the ticket purchases, but ALSO from the amount of pet battles that occurred before the tournament is here which stacks up to huge prizes! (OMG MORE PB ACTIVITY = BIGGER PRIZES!)

Watcha think sumo?
    Hi I'm Romai Mori! You can call me Mori for short
    IGN: Morianna

Come to ITZY for (hopefully) reasonably priced Startopia Tools!

I have now been reborn as a Koreaboo who is only loyal to ITZY.

Quote Originally Posted by Romai Mori View Post
    Morianna here, I think the problem for the lack of popularity in Pet Battle is the intimidating costs of getting into it

Usually cheap decks that are enough to beat more expensive decks (Like the double dryad,moose and burrito combo) costs anywhere from 30-50 wls. That might sound little to some of us here but it’s definitely not to others...

I also recommend lowering down the costs of making decks. (10 wls per gene splice is way too expensive in my opinion)

And lastly, The amount of gems from the Pet Battle tournament should not be from the ticket purchases, but ALSO from the amount of pet battles that occurred before the tournament is here which stacks up to huge prizes! (OMG MORE PB ACTIVITY = BIGGER PRIZES!)

Watcha think sumo?
    For the reduction of gene-splicing costs, that's an upvote from me, cause 10 wls is kinda a bit mad, especially when gene-splicing cheaper pets, cause you'll wind up wasting more wls from putting the pets together than getting the actual pets to be put together. And this should also make battle pets more affordable, so yeah, that's cool!

The second idea sounds quite interesting, but on a maintenance standpoint, it may be a bit of a stretch. Good idea nonetheless, but that's for a separate thread that will be posted after this thread is done and dusted.

To add to the tournament idea, I don't think it will help the newer players with all the uncompetitive decks running around and rampant, and to some people's morality that views these decks as unfair (even objectively, it's still the case), so a banlist would also help boost the popularity. But again, this is for another thread.

For the reduction of gene-splicing costs, that's an upvote from me, cause 10 wls is kinda a bit mad, especially when gene-splicing cheaper pets, cause you'll wind up wasting more wls from putting the pets together than getting the actual pets to be put together. And this should also make battle pets more affordable, so yeah, that's cool!

The second idea sounds quite interesting, but on a maintenance standpoint, it may be a bit of a stretch. Good idea nonetheless, but that's for a separate thread that will be posted after this thread is done and dusted.

To add to the tournament idea, I don't think it will help the newer players with all the uncompetitive decks running around and rampant, and to some people's morality that views these decks as unfair (even objectively, it's still the case), so a banlist would also help boost the popularity. But again, this is for another thread.
    I do think the Ban List idea is sort of lowkey discrimination against those who do use unfair decks with price advantages... regardless, they still payed for it with their money.

I would however, create a ranking system where people of high rank battle with other high rank and low rank people battle with low rank people. With every win and loss, their rank points increase and decrease.

This might be exploitable though as people can create alt accounts and destroy newbies. Therefore, the lower ranked Tournaments should have lesser prizes where as the high ranked Tournaments have bigger prizes so that it would lessen the amount of newbie abuse. (Although, there will always be people who take joy and fun in abusing people)

This all only applies to Tournament and not to casual play
    Hi I'm Romai Mori! You can call me Mori for short
    IGN: Morianna

Come to ITZY for (hopefully) reasonably priced Startopia Tools!

I have now been reborn as a Koreaboo who is only loyal to ITZY.

Quote Originally Posted by Romai Mori View Post
    I do think the Ban List idea is sort of lowkey discrimination against those who do use unfair decks with price advantages... regardless, they still payed for it with their money.

I would however, create a ranking system where people of high rank battle with other high rank and low rank people battle with low rank people. With every win and loss, their rank points increase and decrease.

This might be exploitable though as people can create alt accounts and destroy newbies. Therefore, the lower ranked Tournaments should have lesser prizes where as the high ranked Tournaments have bigger prizes so that it would lessen the amount of newbie abuse. (Although, there will always be people who take joy and fun in abusing people)

This all only applies to Tournament and not to casual play
    The idea sounds pretty good, but I think up to this point we're starting to get really off tangent, so let's save this for another thread. I'll update you when I make such.