Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The problem with story worlds

Default The problem with story worlds

Nobody ever actually reads the signs or guidebooks that tell the story in these worlds.
    Go to todays WOTD, i assure you there will be a story to the world, and tell me how many people are reading it.
    It's all about the often non-existing prize at the end, the parkour or just to beat the world.
    I have seen people write "no prize skem" at the end VIP room of a story world.
    I once wanted to make a story world, heavily story centered with adventure items but not much parkour.
    Then i realized that wouldn't work, considering what i said above.
    I'm just putting this out there, i don't think it's possible to do anything about this, you aren't going to force players to read.
    IGN: Pentavus
    Level 61
    Pentavus #5560 (Discord)

Agreed! I'm 90% finished with an adventure world I've been working on. It's nonlinear, has a deep story with tons of lore, and even has side quests. I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm also afraid it'll all go over everyone's heads if they don't bother reading anything, and that's why I'm not motivated enough to finish it.

Oh, and it's supposed to be part of a four-part series, which makes the problem even worse.
    Last edited by m456; 01-11-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Signature v9.1

Pixel art by Parpul
    http://i.imgur.com/QDGkiys.png
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfsuprafang View Post
    Is m456 a dog? Regardless, he still is a very intellectual being, that one might compare him to the likes of Jesus.

thats why i strive to not have Story in my next world cause i know most players arent reading it
    imagine getting banned for having a long siggy
    thanks O..

IGN: MadMewMew

TNX DEVS FOR ADDING MY SUGGESTION (Floating Speaker) , (Pet Egg) , (Steampunk Goggles), (Fiesta Coati Scarf) and maybe (Mud Puddle)

Eh, I agree, but the way I go about this is that if at least one person will enjoy my world, I'll go on and build it anyway. It's better to think positively.

Nobody was harmed in the making of this picture... I hope.

IGN: ElectroDream
    Discord: Dreamy#2149
    IG: @electrodreamy
    WOTD count: 24

I am lazy to read the story in signs

Just a normal human and normal player

🇺🇸 Rimuoi
    My personal background is everything video games and anime.

I usually create stories for my own pleasure. Each world, to me, must be of satisfactory quality, that I do not base on whether others will even appreciate or take their time to read or understand the world. I don't like to limit my world's capabilities on other player's laziness or uninterest.
    33 WOTDs won.
    3 Competitions placed in.

Discord Tag: Hrvy#7777

Of course, since gt's playerbase is mostly made up of younger kids, they'll get impatient and wont bother reading the signs.

Dont let that bother you though, just put a story if u want. If the world is focusing more on the story, put signs telling them that the signs need to be read. Make the world extremely confusing if they didnt bother reading the story. Myeheheheehe

Discord: scr0nchi#1435
    Ign: ItzEaglet
    Main: EagsWorld
    Ig: hey_im_eaglet

My english is deteriotiating :[

Pl0x Don8 in EagDonate yes

Pwease visit www.allureofnds.net :3

Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    I usually create stories for my own pleasure. Each world, to me, must be of satisfactory quality, that I do not base on whether others will even appreciate or take their time to read or understand the world. I don't like to limit my world's capabilities on other player's laziness or uninterest.
    On top of my dearest Techy's statement, your goal for building a world with a rich story besides personal pleasure is also to please others. Just because the world doesn't attract every player does not mean there are a lack of players would appreciate what you've made.

Knight

If the parkour is not that hard, I can finish the world and grasp the story. I like creatively made stories
    @stopdawndrop.gt

I was not aware people even visited the WoTD anymore. I stopped into the WoTD a few days ago, and there was literally zero people there.
    Been playing Growtopia since 2010.

I speak when I need to. Don’t count me out yet!

Contact Info:

Quote Originally Posted by ElectroDream View Post
    Eh, I agree, but the way I go about this is that if at least one person will enjoy my world, I'll go on and build it anyway. It's better to think positively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    These ^ I've got so many worlds I want to build, but even with the reach of a CM, I know it'll be hard to find people who appreciate it. It's not just story, it's the attention to detail between shading, creating background imagery, smoothing backgrounds & blocks with Block Glue, and creating challenges that are equally as difficult for a level 1 player with no items and a level 125 with every mod avail. It's truly the dilemma that many designers face, whether it be story, music, or art.

As long as you're happy with what you've created, and at leas tone person enjoys/understands it, it's worth.
    Canadian Community Manager

I like anime, board games, video games, and food! (and just about everything else that's fun, competitive, and inspiring)

Link to my official IG

Master Sorcerer

The story of the world is what keeps me going through all those difficult parkours though. The interest is even stronger if the story is made in such a way that it can be related and felt by the player through all the five senses.

To be frank, if it is just plain parkour, I would lose interest within 5 minutes. I am sure that certain people who enjoy stories would do, too.

The fact that you enjoy building your world, your friends actively criticizing it to make it better, and random people loving the world that you have built: There is no greater satisfaction than that when it comes to burning your wls to build it.
    ~~~~ SixFace

Important words to consider: