Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [Merged] Server Disconnect/Lag Issues

Let's talk about servers and what causes them to slow down or potentially crash.

before I begin, just note that I'm not an IT, I'm just searching stuff on the web so I could be wrong on some stuff. Probably some of these are false hehe, but IDK. So like, real IT technicians... critique me ty.

First, if you want them to upgrade the servers, know what's the problem first though. We don't know what these servers look like and we don't know their specification.

Like computers, they have CPU, Memory, and disks. They're not the usual CPU that we know such as AMD Ryzens or Intel I series. But more like those XEONs or Threadripper.

More process means more CPU usage. So every time you do something in GT, the CPU will do process it. Automatically, if they are more players, more process to handle. Too much CPU Usage will slow the server down. So that's one. Talking about CPU Usage, DoS and DDoS also might be an important factor why servers are slowing down. DDoS doesn't always crash the server, it can also slow down the server. DDoS is an attack on the server by multiple sources, usually giving stress to the server so the CPU cannot handle it anymore so it could crash the server. On the other hand, if the sources are not that many, it doesn't crash the server but slow down. They're increasing the CPU Usage causing the server to slow down as well and players could lag.

That's one. Two is Memory. I'm not sure about a memory they're using but. ECC Memory is better, that is what I can get by studying on the web.

Three, disks. All of the data is stored on disks. Think about it, every action we do is written on disks. Servers mostly use hard disks on their servers and HD is quite slow. Don't forget about those RAID thingies. RAID is basically a way to prevent loss of data or corrupted data. All the action we do is not written once, probably multiple based on what RAID they're using. So just in case one data is fried or lost, they can easily change disks and they don't lose any single data. So those everyone who is worrying about data loss every time there's a DDoS, we should be fine because Ubisoft is experienced (should be) at handling servers. Who knows whos working behind those servers eh. Plus, I'm pretty sure they will have even more backups just in case the worst scenario happens. So, back to the point. Disks are slow, probably those also the reason why the world has a limit on players. More disks --> more space to write --> usually takes more CPU usage tho. Tbh not sure, I might be wrong on how disks work.

Four, bandwidth. Them and yours too. If you play games such as APEX, or PUBG. You might have the option to choose what server you want to connect. Probably... ASIA? The USA? Singapore? etc... there are many options to choose from, they let you choose which ping is the best. What if Growtopia only has one server. It means players all over the globe are connecting to a single server. SO we are talking about pings now. If the server is so far from where you are staying, you will require a much stronger connection to gain the fewest ping. After I check on speedtest.xxx, my ping is 5ms, but it's still laggy. Ah yes, check what server you connected to. Probably the real ping from the place you're staying at to the server is like over 150ms --> LAG. Another reason is that their connection is poor.
    Another more reason is that your internet is just pure poop.

based on all those above, pretty sure it doesn't answer anything regarding "upgrade the server". Apology for the trashy grammar too.
    GenSEAF
    Graphic Designer

Discord: GENSEAF#1544
    Portfolio (Instagram): @seafxiv
    I can give tips for designing if you like, just contact me. (And when I have time)
    Software used: Adobe Photoshop CC, Adobe Illustrator CC

Quote Originally Posted by GEN View Post
    Let's talk about servers and what causes them to slow down or potentially crash.

before I begin, just note that I'm not an IT, I'm just searching stuff on the web so I could be wrong on some stuff. Probably some of these are false hehe, but IDK. So like, real IT technicians... critique me ty.

First, if you want them to upgrade the servers, know what's the problem first though. We don't know what these servers look like and we don't know their specification.

Like computers, they have CPU, Memory, and disks. They're not the usual CPU that we know such as AMD Ryzens or Intel I series. But more like those XEONs or Threadripper.

More process means more CPU usage. So every time you do something in GT, the CPU will do process it. Automatically, if they are more players, more process to handle. Too much CPU Usage will slow the server down. So that's one. Talking about CPU Usage, DoS and DDoS also might be an important factor why servers are slowing down. DDoS doesn't always crash the server, it can also slow down the server. DDoS is an attack on the server by multiple sources, usually giving stress to the server so the CPU cannot handle it anymore so it could crash the server. On the other hand, if the sources are not that many, it doesn't crash the server but slow down. They're increasing the CPU Usage causing the server to slow down as well and players could lag.

That's one. Two is Memory. I'm not sure about a memory they're using but. ECC Memory is better, that is what I can get by studying on the web.

Three, disks. All of the data is stored on disks. Think about it, every action we do is written on disks. Servers mostly use hard disks on their servers and HD is quite slow. Don't forget about those RAID thingies. RAID is basically a way to prevent loss of data or corrupted data. All the action we do is not written once, probably multiple based on what RAID they're using. So just in case one data is fried or lost, they can easily change disks and they don't lose any single data. So those everyone who is worrying about data loss every time there's a DDoS, we should be fine because Ubisoft is experienced (should be) at handling servers. Who knows whos working behind those servers eh. Plus, I'm pretty sure they will have even more backups just in case the worst scenario happens. So, back to the point. Disks are slow, probably those also the reason why the world has a limit on players. More disks --> more space to write --> usually takes more CPU usage tho. Tbh not sure, I might be wrong on how disks work.

Four, bandwidth. Them and yours too. If you play games such as APEX, or PUBG. You might have the option to choose what server you want to connect. Probably... ASIA? The USA? Singapore? etc... there are many options to choose from, they let you choose which ping is the best. What if Growtopia only has one server. It means players all over the globe are connecting to a single server. SO we are talking about pings now. If the server is so far from where you are staying, you will require a much stronger connection to gain the fewest ping. After I check on speedtest.xxx, my ping is 5ms, but it's still laggy. Ah yes, check what server you connected to. Probably the real ping from the place you're staying at to the server is like over 150ms --> LAG. Another reason is that their connection is poor.
    Another more reason is that your internet is just pure poop.

based on all those above, pretty sure it doesn't answer anything regarding "upgrade the server". Apology for the trashy grammar too.
    Well, it's nice to see you've been educating yourself. Keep at it!
    I'm gonna reply as an IT guy.

Regarding the things you said above, those are all things that can be managed from the server side. (As a side note, you might wanna do some more google'ing on server virtualization).

In case of corporations (such as Ubisoft) where there are competent people managing the back-end, the question is really not if or how a problem is solvable, it is. The bigger obstacle is the Business management. You see, the guys in charge of the tech and servers are not in charge of money. So the technical manager has to convince the business manager that the extra money put into tech will yield more money. That is not an easy thing to do even if it might be true (might not be though).

Simplified interaction:
    Tech: Need $ for better servers
    Business: What are the benefits of that?
    Tech: Servers would be less laggy under temporary heavy load
    Business: Calculates "extra money gained from investment" - "investment cost"
    (if result is in negative numbers - likely decides it's not worth the $)

Lesser Wizard

In my opinion,

Growtopia doesnot make alot of money, for its company owner,it is kind of losing money i guess, also to upgrade growtopia server needs thousand of dollars,ijust think its not free,

But can any developer answer me?
    Why old growtopia can hold atleast 70k-100k players online?

Was the cause of lag is magplant?

Master Sorcerer

44,500 players
    Name:  44,5k.PNG
Views: 247
Size:  3.0 KB

It went 46800 within last week I don't remember what day is it.

Lesser Knight

Default Ubi servers

Ubisoft server always cant connect, crashes so frequently and i cant even enter worlds. How come old growtopia have better servers than this? this is unplayable. I have a auto farm (slime) and i use tractor and plow to plant and harvest. Server lag makes it impossible to farm without it lagging and stopping my slime movement, it happens every 30 seconds and i can't even auto farm anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Its happening every 10 seconds now, i cant even harvest my farm. It misses out the trees 50 percent of the farm so i have to go thought the entire farm 2 times inorder to harvest all

Are you still experiencing this connectivity issues up to now? Can you please check again and let us know.

Hey guys did you notice any improvements in terms of connectivity and stability of the game today? (less lag, not disconnecting anymore)

Lesser Wizard

Hardly dc, but servers keep saying "full, please try enter world again later" that kind of thing if u know what I mean

Lesser Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NekoRei View Post
    Are you still experiencing this connectivity issues up to now? Can you please check again and let us know.
    I bit less than yesterday, happens at around 9 AM gt time when the server reaches alot of people.

sometimes it happen to me too

Default Always dc

Always dc planting seed ,it take more time,in 1 minuetes 2 or 3 time dc,so stress think about it.hope devs prime attention for this case