Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KYDERBY Building Contest Feedback

Default KYDERBY Building Contest Feedback

I am making this thread to comment on the entire KYDERBY Building contest hosted by Aimster - Results have been "announced" today on her discord server.

Results/Winners

This will be my personal opinion on the matter, feel free to add on to it in your posts

I'm afraid to say that the entire contest has been terrible, for both ends; participants, non participants. The organization, lack of communication, and effort put into the events were minimal, causing a lot of mess and poor choosing as criterias have been poorly laid out. We are talking about a semi-official event where developers have spawned items for her to give to players. This will go point by point.

• Lack of communication
      As you may've already noticed, the results are actually not on the forums, they are on her discord server. Most of the updates happen there, and obviously, if you didn't know, well your loss. Absolutely no communication was even made other than a post addressing a few issues 4 days before deadline. Not only this is unfair, but some of the updates/details were also given through personal DMs. Between the fact that hundreds of Mint Juleps are actually being given away (this will be addressed in another point below), that there was only one world to actually be picked by players out of 10. Most players who have submitted did not know of that change, which brings me to the next point

• The "Player's Choice"
      The contest originally had to have 10 worlds chosen/voted on to be picked. However this changed mid-course to one due to potential voting abuse. This made matters worse, as certain forum users started mass-dming forum members asking them to vote, in certain cases even giving a pay for it. This ended up being one person judging the entire world list, and as you may've noticed she put her own world in the list, showing irritation towards the complains. Her exact words were: "One of the worlds we be KYDERBY, sorry not sorry".

• The amount of Mint Juleps given & devaluation of the legendary bot quest
      So 200-300 Mint Juleps are actually going to be given aside from the contest worlds, but these are literally either being given away through race, or through random manners. Today somebody has obtained one just by simply making a list of the worlds on her discord, putting nuance to the effort actually put by the contest builders who actually spent days building their worlds. As for the devaluation of the legendary bot's quest - there has been many complains in the past that certain legendary items such as the legendary bot are the cheapest legendary items in the game along with dragon, and for the sake of a contest, balancing is disregarded more than anything, which is a big mistake. Instead of just spawning in items more changes should've been made such as increasing the required quantity to finish the step if this many are to be given. That step is in the quest, and balancing can't just be avoidable. This harms normal players.

• The Judging
      The judging happened in her own discord server (again), in a voice chat where the public cannot speak, but the server admins could've. There was no sense of comparison, worlds were given a rating from D to A, with little standards applied unlike actual official growtopia events/contests, leading to a lot of poor choosing through her own criterias that she hadn't talked about. I'll let others talk about this more in depth.

• Disregarding certain inappropriate worlds, that are currently in the winner list.
      A world that contained a certain racial slurs (that world is the one that contains several discord memes/jokes) even though had the bad content removed was still allowed to win. This is not OK.

• Blaming the community for poor results
      Instead of getting a team to judge worlds, and as obviously the player's choice was cheated through fake votes, the contest manager has blamed the players instead of the process, despite that the player's choice winner was actually a world art fully copied from Google.

In general, this contest was in my opinion a disaster, and I truly feel sorry for the builders who have spent time trying to build something aesthetically pleasing and fun to play along with a cool theme who lost to pixel art worlds.

In the future the contest should be hosted by ubisoft staff themselves and use the regular standards for world building contests along with putting more thought about the item given away. After a few years you could only expect that the contest would be hosted in a better manner, but it has been the opposite.
    Last edited by Nenkaai; 05-01-2020 at 06:38 PM.
    A recipe finder. A GT Wikia Admin. Playing since Feb 2013.
    Level: 125 - L Title/Dragon/DK Wings Done - Sponsored Mystical Etherboard
    IGN: TK69
    Growtopia Treehouse Discord | My Insta

Master Sorcerer Clarken (ciarken)'s Avatar

It is kind of concerning that at this point L bot is like 6 times cheaper than candour, which is just a garbage item imo lol.
    IGN: Clarken
    Since July 2, 2014

Services you may need!: https://www.growtopiagame.com/forums...04#post4275404

Buy all riding bumble bees 25 each

the results were, well.. surprising.
    Last edited by Liquify; 05-01-2020 at 06:48 PM.
    IGN : Liquify

support my wholesome Axolotl thread!

I feel sorry for the people who spent days building their worlds and then some random dude on discord makes a list and gets the same reward..
    IGN: Geomi
    World: GEOMI

Master Sorcerer

The fact that this isn't regulated like all the other world building contests is insane to me.

especially with the quantity of mint juleps being given away.
    IGN = Delicioso (For now)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Machine View Post
    I was told I will die of death. A disease that only old people can get.

Thanks Chocolatte

Quote Originally Posted by Geomi View Post
    I feel sorry for the people who spent days building their worlds and then some random dude on discord makes a list and gets the same reward..
    to also add on, there are MULTIPLE worlds and at least 5 of the winning worlds which changed their 1x tall tunnel race to two blocks tall before aimster got a chance to judge their world. (Aimster mentioned how she disliked 1x tall race tracks)this is unfair to a lot of players who got their worlds judged on the first day.

you can easily spot them by looking at the closed derby entry submission and compare to the new render.
    IGN : Liquify

support my wholesome Axolotl thread!

She wasn't very fair and clear what she wanted.

She would complain in the calls that tunnel races (1 block wide races) were bad yet we got some of those here. In addition if she praised something in the call and ur world wasn't judged yet, you could change it to suit her (I am guilty of this)

One moment she likes the visuals, one she likes the race, one moment she hates certain asspects of a race but ooo if this world did it, its good.

she even said neonderby was better than tangramderby for the sole fact that "neonderby already did it" when the only reason it seems that way is due to it coming closer to the start of the list.

She shouldnt have given grades too, it just makes more people pissed

The worlds were supposed to feel like a RACE rather than a parkour without death items. If you were there in her Discord while she was judging LIVE via voicechat, you would have heard all of her comments about the worlds and what they could improve with, etc. Next time before you say something do some more research. However, I do agree that she wasn't 100% clear with what she wanted and she even stated that after judging all of the worlds. To add onto that, when she was finishing up judging all of the worlds she asked all of the listeners to tell her what she can do to improve the judging, and she has a clear list for next derby day.
    IGN: ShadowGraal
    Instagram: @ShadowGraalGT
    Legendary Dragon+Bot Owner
    Suggester of the Raccoon Leash

Can someone paste the link to her discord server?
    Sup
    IGN: Rovie
    pfp by NekoWolf

Quote Originally Posted by tatertots View Post
    Can someone paste the link to her discord server?
    https://discord.gg/yPcbvPP
    IGN: ShadowGraal
    Instagram: @ShadowGraalGT
    Legendary Dragon+Bot Owner
    Suggester of the Raccoon Leash

well im sure aimmie promised to fix her mistakes for the next kyderby from the vc since people provided some feedbacks already.

she dislike the worlds with less space as she wanted the players and for herself to have more ease to the gameplay though she stated on her thread that the difficulty of every single derby world may vary and was heavily ignored on her judging.

id say, 2 days of judgement over 101 worlds is surprising yet her judging is passionate and honest, she did have fun but lacking on proper way of voting that reflects to her rules. i would suggest her to retry the worlds without others opinion to it as she asks the listeners sometimes.

aimmie actually informed the people on discord to call every owners who werent picked yet to meet her requirements on the judging. despite the them being notified, some world owners could not reshape something that is far away from their unique idea.

some rules she stated were often off when it comes to judging some worlds by giving them bonus points such as giving them an excemption for those without jammers, half track, and copied pixel arts. i understand this as a boost to some players, howvever it was unfair in a way.

i personally still wouldnt rec by taking aimmies special event to the typical silent judgers of the forums. though i am certain that aimster did a great job on voting for the first time out in the public that only needed some few adjustments to make it more fair and clearer. since the ubi event hosts actually never shared their opinion on how they pick as well.

i must say, the judging needs enough time to compare from one another and to evaluate them fairly so aimmie if youre reading this, dont feel bad if some or majority of the players arent happy nor satisfied with the judging and results. sorry to say but i too, am not satisfied with the results but seeing your passion and joy when voting was worthwhile to hear, it just needs some improvement and more time ^-^

im really feeling dizzy rn, its like 3:43 am so forgive this tipsy me
    listening to a song with a tragic message often helps me to convey my emotions by being in the singer's position to feel it...

Glow~

one day,
    ill be playing a guitar on a rainy day,
    singing about it~

This is way more of a disaster than BHE 2018 and if you were keeping up with that. You'll know what I mean..

░▒▓███████▓▒░
    ▷▷Retired poster◁◁
    ░▒▓███████▓▒░
    ┅⊏⧖⊐┅
    ▽⧩▼▼▼⧨▽
    Random stuff in GOLA
    ▲◭△△△◮▲
    ┅⊏⧖⊐┅